Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Why TMNT will be a bestseller!

icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 510
edited October 2012 in Everything else LEGO
I think that LEGO has realised that TV SERIES is a key when making a successful theme!
Whereas MOVIES come and go - the TV SERIES have longertime to stick to kids mind, and therefore get longer promotion. So though it seems that AFOL's dislike the TMNT theme it most properly will become a mayor succees...

TOP SELLERS:
1) StarWars turned in to series and keep selling to new audience.
2) Around Ninjago was made a TV-series and sells like mad.
3) Likewise now with TMNT... it'll sell!!!
4) SPONGEBOB is a series too... but maybe less apealing to the 9-11 yr old boys, which still are the key audience for LEGO, saleswise.

MOVIE THEMES sell poorly!
1) Prince of Persia... sold poorly(?)
2) SpeedRacer... sold poorly(?)
3) ...

SOME EXCEPTIONS
THE HOBBIT - is a movie, but three are to come, so it's likely to have been choosen only because of that.
LONE RANGER - might be an exception, but due to being WESTERN and sequels are like to come (if it succeeds).

So my theisis is: MOVIE-LICENCES will be exceptions... TV SERIES ARE HERE TO STAY!
That is TVSERIES aimed toward young boys... not sure "Downton Abbey" or "Game of Thrones" have any chances.

What do you think?

Comments

• Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 789
    Oh man... I would love to have a massive Downton Abbey set! Just for the parts!

Both the movie series you question that failed did not exactly move haul quickly. Speed Racer did better than Prince of Persia (still have large stacks of PoP sets at the local TRU) for sure.
    tedward
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    When I showed the TMNT theme to my 6 years old, he said: "papa, that's cool, can we buy them all?"
  • FizzlemesexyFizzlemesexy Member Posts: 123
    It could be that Prince of Persia and Speed Racer did poorly in the box office and that's what played a major role in Lego sales. If Lone Ranger does well, the sets might sell. If it doesn't, it might not.

From what I remember Star wars wasn't a TV series when the Lego sets first started (I'd have to look that up). I do remember though there was already a large fan base which created that demand. The new movies were out shortly after and that demand has stayed ever since.

I always thought Ninjago would do well personally. Ninjas and Pirates are favorites among children AND adults.

Other message boards seem to be happy with TMNT. I think it will do okay. The only time TMNT was not popular was in '97. The live action version just didn't appeal to it's target audience. Nickelodeon is pushing TMNT heavily so it should do well.

I do agree with some of the things you are saying~ I think you are on to something.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^There was no Star Wars TV show when the sets began, but the Prequel Trilogy had just started.
  • FizzlemesexyFizzlemesexy Member Posts: 123
    edited October 2012
    ^Wasn't sure if it was the year before or after with the movie. Thanks =]
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    I get the point you are making, but have to say, it is not as clear cut as you state:
    For example - Ninjago sells great in UK but has neither a movie or TV Show.
    Avengers movie - Sets sell well
    Batman movie - Sets sell well
    Ben 10 TV Show - Sets did not sell well
    Hero Factory TV Show - Dont know for sure but dont get the feeling they sell well
    Harry Potter Movies - Sold well
    etc etc.

So I don't think you can say:
    TV-Sell well
    Movies- Dont
    Therefore, TMNT=TV, therefore sell well.

Having said all that, I believe they will be popular because it is (from the limited amount I have seen so far), a GOOD cartoon, with engaging and funny characters and I can see why my 5yr old is desperate for the sets, loads and loads of play in them I would say.
    Fizzlemesexy
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,191
    Batman may have benefitted from the Lego Batman game also. Avengers also has an animated series. Spiderman has a cartoon.

I think Hero Factory are popular among kids although I have never seen the show on TV. I have founds episodes online.

More support that movie themes may not be as good? Toys Story, Cars, PoC, Indiana Jones? I think half of those did okay.
    ^Do NOT waste your time on Hero Factory Episodes. It's a bleak moment the first moment you hear a character talk.

TV-Sell well
    Movies- Dont
    Therefore, TMNT=TV, therefore sell well

Let me introduce you to Spongebob Squarepants and Avatar the Last Airbender, A.K.A. Nickelodeon's past Lego failures.
    edited October 2012
    ^ not the best bit of quoting there :). Totally missed this line above which reverses the statement:

So I don't think you can say:
    TV-Sell well
    Movies- Dont
    Therefore, TMNT=TV, therefore sell well
    ^My apologies.
    Yours is very much valid. I guess that post of mine could just make that concrete, I suppose. ;o)
    ^ all good :)
    Glad we agree.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    The other example that disproves the point is Spongebob. The show was wildly popular 10 years ago, but the sets never sell and seem to stay on the shelf for ever. (Personally, I like the sets visually and playbility). I think there was speculation that Nickelodeon locked into a mult-year deal with Lego, and Lego had no choice but to keep producing the poorly sellling sets. Now TMNT will replace Lego's obligation in the contract so maybe they'll have better luck.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    My 10yo son loves the turtle and Shredder figs. He thinks the rest of the figs and sets are garbage (I have to agree). He does not like the series rehash on TV but is a huge fan of the original comic books, original TV series and arcade game. We are both huge turtle fans and will for sure purchase the above mentioned figs. Maybe kids who were never privy to the original comic books or tv show will enjoy the new 3d animation (blah!).
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    edited October 2012

My 10yo son loves the turtle and Shredder figs. He thinks the rest of the figs and sets are garbage (I have to agree). He does not like the series rehash on TV but is a huge fan of the original comic books, original TV series and arcade game. We are both huge turtle fans and will for sure purchase the above mentioned figs. Maybe kids who were never privy to the original comic books or tv show will enjoy the new 3d animation (blah!).

This is really interesting to me, as people who are fans of the original comic book usually seem to abhor the original TV series and prefer the 1990 movie and the 2003 series. I loved the 1987 series when I was a kid, but looking back on it now, it really does seem like an abomination. The new series started out well enough, but seems to already have gone the way of the '87 series' "adventure of the week" formula, rather than the overarcing story that made the comics and 2003 series so amazing (in my opinion). Additionally, this whole 'look at this random person that 'accidentally' got turned into a mutant' gimmick they seem to be employing in EVERY EPISODE of the new series is getting really tiresome already.

All that aside, so far as these sets go, I will be picking up the four turtles, Shredder, as many foot soldiers as I can reasonably obtain and also a garbage truck.
    LegoFanTexasFollowsClosely
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    These will be a huge success! The TMNT NY toy fair figs are already selling for up to $300 on eBay...
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,980
    I think this is a bit of an oversimplification. The Star Wars license was tremendously successful for many years even before there was a TV series of any kind, and probably would have continued to be so even without new movies. Star Wars merchandise just has a magical ability to fly off the shelves. The Avatar: The Last Airbender theme was based on a TV series and was not very successful. I think the measure of a licensed theme's longevity is not related to what medium it is but rather related to the property's ability to move merchandise in general (including non-LEGO merchandise-- Star Wars action figures and toys have never been unsuccessful in my lifetime, even before the prequel trilogy was announced). Thus, the success of the Cars brand, the Spongebob Squarepants brand, and the Star Wars brand, and the failure of the Speed Racer brand, the Pirates of the Caribbean brand, and the Prince of Persia brand.

I say "failure" quite lightly, as I don't mean these were unsuccessful. As far as I know the PotC brand performed well-- it just lacks the LONGEVITY of these other brands. I fully expect it to come back the next time there is a movie set to be released soon in theaters, but as it is kids just aren't as aware of the brand when it's not being heavily promoted with merchandise, commercials, and expanded universe media.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been a strong merchandise-mover for many years, so I have no doubt it will be successful, but I don't feel being based on a TV series is the reason for this. Rather, it's a combination of that and the inherently "toyetic" nature of the series and its characters and vehicles, the extremely kid-focused combination of tropes, and the overlap between the target audience of the show and the most reliable audience for LEGO sets.
    princedravendragonhawkLegoFanTexas
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,422
    mrseatle said:

These will be a huge success! The TMNT NY toy fair figs are already selling for up to $300 on eBay...

In my opinoin, that is merely because it is a LEGO collectible/exclusive, not because it is a TMNT collectible/exclusive. I bought one for the sole purpose of continuing my "completion" of my LEGO minifigure collection, not because I had any interest in the TMNT theme.

• GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 674
    The correlation is really more to the source material rather than what kind of media it is. Prince of Persia wasn't that popular a movie. Avengers was. The sales followed the same patterns.

TV is definitely helpful for long-term sustainability, but if the new cartoon flops, TMNT won't be around too long. It definitely helps, but it's not the end-all-be-all.
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    Penkid11 said:

Oh man... I would love to have a massive Downton Abbey set!

Oooh, I'll take some of those! What a great idea for a modular line up? Divide the building into multiple sets that all fit together ie: The Library (includes Earl of Grantham and Matthew Crawley, The Kitchen (includes Daisy and Mrs. Patmore). The Car (includes Lady Sybill and Branson).
  • item_inspectoritem_inspector Member Posts: 5
    Check out my 791000,79101, and 79102 build vids on youtube

• FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 4
    Don't forget the rumoured Michael Bay TMNT movie coming in a year or two. The movie rumours have quelled a little now, but given the timing, LEGO probably anticipated it in 2014 when it greenlit the theme.

Provided the film does go ahead, LEGO can continue with a few small waves of sets based on the TV show until its release (even making it a tiny theme like Spongebob for a while) and then transition to sets based on the film franchise (much like the Batman sets).