Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Increasing MSRP on existing Friends sets?

BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,763
edited January 2013 in Collecting
Just noticed Olivia's House and City Park Café got bumped up $5 on Shop at Home USA to $74.99 and $34.99 respectively. This is a disturbing trend, I looked around and didn't see any other price increases in other themes but I worry that down the road we will not be able to count on the MSRP remaining the same from year to year.

Comments

• monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,995
    I wonder when they will bump up the price of 10188, that stands out as a huge bargain when the RRP hasn't increased in 4 years.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    edited January 2013
    Looking at the entire Lego 2013 lineup, there appears to be a price bump along with skimpier looking sets.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    It will be interesting indeed. They may find the public unwilling to pay higher prices on mediocre sets. Just look at the Tie Fighter and Sith Infiltrator as an example. They have been on "sale" just about everywhere at a slightly more reasonable price point. I wonder what the break point is where the average consumer will simply not pay a premium price for currently produced LEGO sets.
    I wouldn't consider the Tie Fighter a mediocre set, I just wouldn't pay £50 for it. Perhaps the "bargain" culture is prevalent in their pricing, with RRPs set at 20% more than most bigger outfits will generally sell for. This culture seems to be big in the UK at least right now, with RRP for many items not really reflecting what is actually paid most of the time by the end consumer for many everyday items.
    Si_UKNZ
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    ^ I think this is true. The initial wave of buyers are typically the hard-core who are willing and able to pay full RRP. After that the prices dip to more reasonable levels and tend to stabilize at around 20% off in many cases.

I'm more disappointed in the overall skimpy look of the sets. There is clearly more emphasis put on the minifigs in the 2013 sets.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,763
    I get the new sets getting a bump up, I just wonder if this sets a precedent of bumping current production sets. Will we wake up July 1st or January 1st of next year and find out Pet Shop is RRP $159.99 or $179.99 all of a sudden?
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,188
    ^more likely palace cinema will be in the $179.99 range rather than the increase in price of old modulars :(
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 553
    The Winter Village sets have been increasing in price over the last couple of years, with the Bakery going up the most (44.99, then 49.99, then 50.99). I've noticed a small hike with the newer sets I've seen and paid attention to.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693

The Winter Village sets have been increasing in price over the last couple of years, with the Bakery going up the most (44.99, then 49.99, then 50.99). I've noticed a small hike with the newer sets I've seen and paid attention to.

MSRP on the Bakery was $54.99 from start to end. Never changed.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,817
    ^ He was quoting UK prices and their steady increase.
  • OrangechefOrangechef Member Posts: 7
    In the US they also raised the price of 3184 Adventure Camper ($35 now, $30 before) and 3930 Stephanie’s Outdoor Bakery ($7 now, was $6)

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

I wonder when they will bump up the price of 10188, that stands out as a huge bargain when the RRP hasn't increased in 4 years.

The only plus side to doing so is that it makes all our stashed copies worth slightly more. But otherwise it is a bad trend because it does make it hard to know what RRP is a for set that is out for 2-5 years.

@Huw - you might need to change the database to allow RRPs for multiple years:

3315:
    2012 $69.99
    2013 $74.99

That sort of thing.
    thenosFollowsClosely
  • markmushakianmarkmushakian Member Posts: 6
    I work in a Lego store, and this was a surprise to us, too. Maybe there was some missed communication on the managerial end, but all of our sets were on the shelves with the original prices, so we had to keep adjusting the prices at the register before being able to re-label the boxes. I'm with most of you.. hopefully this isn't a trend. Raising the initial price of sets overall is understandable, but raising a price on a set once it's already out is rough.
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    The Minecraft set got 10% more expensive on [email protected] Hungary. (Was 45 USD, now is 50 USD.)
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411

I wouldn't consider the Tie Fighter a mediocre set, I just wouldn't pay £50 for it. Perhaps the "bargain" culture is prevalent in their pricing, with RRPs set at 20% more than most bigger outfits will generally sell for. This culture seems to be big in the UK at least right now, with RRP for many items not really reflecting what is actually paid most of the time by the end consumer for many everyday items.

Good thing is you can buy it used on Bricklink for £20
  • wagiwabywagiwaby Member Posts: 3
    It may be they are putting up the price before a sale.
  • makmak Member Posts: 300
    ^ a sale? I doubt it
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    Just to play devil's advocate here... LEGO is just about the only 'toy' that hasn't, to this point, retroactively matched its prices to newer items in their line. This happens with action figures all the time. The whole line goes up in price and the old series figures don't stay cheaper just because they started out that way. The problem here, I think, is that it's not an 'across-the-boards' type of hike.
  • chrisdojochrisdojo Member Posts: 169
    The dollar is worth less than it used to a few years ago. If you've been shopping for groceries in the last handful of years: If the price for a product remains about the same, the quantity/size has likely shrunk slightly. Prices have otherwise risen on most everything. Expect more as the fed continues to print money.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 729
    I was at my local Walmart a couple of days ago to re-check the after X-Mas sales and found a few 'new' items on the shelves that were previously gone with higher prices. To further explain....4204 The Mine....was off the shelves since the Walmart ad of $39.97 a few months ago. Now...there's 3 back on the shelves but scanned for $99each. I know they weren't there Dec 26th...but now show up Dec 31rst.
    Chrisjojo: isn't that just inflation? A lot of food items have shrunk in size if they haven't risen in price (in some cases they have done both). The dollar isn't doing badly(comparatively), it was doing a lot worse 5 years ago when it was the only major currency with rock bottom interest rates, and there were 2 dollars to the pound, now it's about 1.60. The Euro weakened when it dropped its interest rates.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ The dollar isn't doing poorly compared to the EUR because they are printing those too.

The fact is, you can't print $480 Billion in new money in a year and have no effect on the value of current money. The US Government has printed over $2 Trillion in new money in the past 4 years. That will catch up to all of us soon enough.

Ron Paul was right, but no one wants to listen.
    pharmjodFollowsCloselyCrownieFurrysaurus
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259

..........Ron Paul was right, but no one wants to listen.

No one wants to listen for good reason, have you heard some of the ****** this guy speaks. What's the saying, "a broken clock is right twice a day". :/
    This isn't the place for it, but Ron Paul is way smarter than the majority of idiots in DC. He speaks truth. Whether you like it or want to hear it doesn't make it less truthful or less correct for that matter.
    FollowsCloselyFurrysaurus
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    pharmjod said:

This isn't the place for it, but Ron Paul is way smarter than the majority of idiots in DC. He speaks truth. Whether you like it or want to hear it doesn't make it less truthful or less correct for that matter.

Hey, I never said he wasn't smart, but your right this isn't the place for it so we will leave it at that :)

Back on topic,

I think it would be best if Lego could keep the RRP the same through out the life of a product. I don't see them loosing money due to under pricing a set, and if on the rare occurrence they do, they are big enough to absorb it IMO.

Obviously I am all for TLG to reduce the RRP.

• thehockeyboythehockeyboy Member Posts: 97
    It is normal for an average of 3% inflation in the US every year (hence why most employees receive a cost of living increase around this much this year, or an increase in minimum wage equaling to this). This inflation has actually been a little lower the past few years due to economic downturn (1.7% this past year).

So the increase in prices of goods (such as legos) should increase as well, unless of course the cost to sell them decreases. This slight increase in lego prices is, in the end, pretty minuscule compared to what it could be.
    edited January 2013
    When the Friends line originally launched, I thought it was very aggressively priced to maybe help spark sales, so maybe it doesn't surprise me.

Overall, though, I really don't agree LEGO has gotten that much more expensive over the years, especially compared to the early 2000s.

I'm looking at a 2000 [email protected] catalog right now. Compare these:

#6091 at $89.99 to #7946 at $99.99

#6477 at $19.99 to #60002 at $19.99

#2745 at $99.99 to #5609 at $119.99

#4216 at $29.99 to #10662 at $29.99

#6456 at $79.99 to #3368 at $69.99

#4561 at $129.99 to #7938 at $129.99 (admittedly, the former uses more expensive 9V parts)

#8448 at $129.99 to #8070 at $119.99

Not to mention, it's a lot more common to find deals of 25%+ off today than it was ten years ago, as chains like Target became much more expansive with their toy departments and, of course, Internet shopping.

If anything, LEGO got cheaper in the mid-2000's as the company was in financial ruins and many of its products became unpopular, forcing more aggressive pricing.

One thing that hasn't changed: #626 and #627 have cost $4.99 since 1993 (back then they were #813 and #815).
    rocaoFollowsCloselyLegoFanTexas
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
    I noticed that the SW Mandalorian Battle Pack was listed as being £12 at Lego.com. Maybe I'm going crazy, but wasn't it £10 when it came out? Does Lego often bump the prices of existing sets?
    I will disagree with you to an extent about being easier to find sales. Yes, 25% off I guess is true, but 10 years ago, that wasnt even a sale to me. I routinely got everything I wanted and then some at 50-75% off or more. I was just patient and waited for clearance. While more frequent small sales may be true, I miss the "golden days" of deals for me. I am happy that the Lego group seems to be healthier and in a better fiancial position than perhaps they were 10 years ago though. If that means less super cheap Lego for me, that's ok too.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,594
    Clearances and sales are not necessarily the same thing...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,559
    ^ Agreed. These days, it seems the crap goes to clearance whereas decent stuff is in the sales.
    My point is 10 years ago I was able to get basically EVERYTHING for steep discount. Now, not so much.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,897
    pharmjod said:

My point is 10 years ago I was able to get basically EVERYTHING for steep discount. Now, not so much.

Ten years ago TLG was struggling financially and probably having a hard time getting kids to buy a lot of sets. And the sets they were putting out were not the best-- better than much of what they had offered in the late 90s, certainly, but still rife with clunky elements in several themes. Not so today when TLG struggles to produce enough sets just to meet demand for certain themes like Ninjago and Friends, and has raised their expectations of just how much building their buyers are going to want.

To be honest, I'm not surprised that TLG is able to raise prices on sets. The quality of sets has been excellent these past few years, IMO, and as such TLG is building a stronger reputation for itself. Not to mention how successful many recent marketing endeavors like the Ninjago TV show have been at building demand.

The real question is whether LEGO prices will be likely to go down again for any reason other than stumbling on TLG's part. I certainly hope that if prices do fall it won't be an indication that LEGO sets have fallen in popularity.
  • chrisdojochrisdojo Member Posts: 169
    edited January 2013
    If LEGO is raising prices and sales figures go down, they will lower prices. (Example: 2012 SW Advent Calendar)

Simple economics at work.
    LegoboyFurrysaurus
    Don't agree about the quality. It's better than in 2000-2003, but still nowhere near as good a quality toy as it was in the 80s and 90s. Colors are still often off, pieces don't fit as tightly together, and don't even get me started about those bumps from where the molds separate, especially on the windows. Those were non-existent even a decade ago. It's a big problem and LEGO needs to fix it.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ I think @Aanchir was talking about design quality, not part quality. I think you are both right
    legoprodsCrownieLegoFanTexas
  • NoizetankNoizetank Member Posts: 48
    If you want a good deal on the SW Mandalorian Battle Pack go to debenhams (uk) I got 3 sets for £6 a pop and a Skiff set for £10. I think the increase is a tad annoying but some companies like Game sworkshop ramp up the prices on all their lines every year without fail all always above inflation. When a company dominates the market they can kinda govern the prices any way they want. Still as said before 10188 with 3800 odd pieces is excellent value especially when Jabba's Palace retails at £120 with less than a quarter of the pieces.
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    Olivia's House got almost 10% more expensive over here, too. And that's even though our currency is about 5-10% stronger currently than was last December - January.