Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Where is the best place to source a 10221 Super Star Destroyer with a mint box?

I'm looking for a #10221 but I will only accept a mint box.

Is Lego the way to go?

Or Amazon?

All the ones in the local Lego store have very bashed boxes :(

Comments

• SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    Amazon, Ebay or Toys r us?

• tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    TRU tend to be all scuffed. EBay doesn't have any guarantees.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited December 2012
    The only absolute guarantee is to find a personal seller with one then go and pick it up. One of the flaws of this set is the inappropriate box which is not strong enough in my view for the product, so shipping is always a gamble if you want to avoid any dings.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Call Lego stores near you and ask them to check their inventory for box conditions and pick one up. They are usually pretty helpful and they have slow periods after the holidays. I don't know if it comes in the nice overpack box like the UCS MF or the DS, but that typically protects the box reasonably well.
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 815
    Lego in March on douple VIP points. If you're not satisfied they will immediately ship you another priority mail.
    I like the March idea. Can you return to Lego if you're unhappy with the box?!
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 444
    Never had a problem with boxes buying on Amazon, I would try there.
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 815
    ^^ Yes without any problem. I have done this for very minor defects on the box. Just call them and they immediately ship out a replacement by priority shipping. Alternatively just call a store and ask if they still have any in their shipping boxes unopened.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Got to be [email protected], I can't recall ever having a blemished box from there, swiftly followed by Amazon.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,771
    I've had two badly crushed boxes out of [email protected] but we know we can always rely on them to swap out with minimal effort. I held off ordering from Amazon.de a couple of days ago just because I couldn't face having to sort out a possible return with them, even if it did save me a few quid.
  • pumperxpumperx Member Posts: 106
    I ordered two from WM for $310 wach and will pick up on Wednesday. I'll see how that goes and let you guys know.
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    ^Not saying it won't, but Walmart is one of the last places I would count on to provide me with a minty box.
    Thanks all, I'll keep a look out for any bargains but otherwise will order direct from Lego.
  • jasonord69ajasonord69a UKMember Posts: 426
    Hi,

Where are you based as I have a spare mint boxed set I would be willing to sell.

Jason
    Hi Jason,

I'm in the North West of England :)
  • JP82JP82 Member Posts: 45
    edited January 2013
    The boxes in the shelves in store tend to be for display only for sets like the SW exclusives. The stores normally bring you a mint one from the store-room. Often it's still in the brown outer box they ship to the stores from warehouse in.
    FollowsCloselyLegoFanTexas
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ This is true for DS, because those are 1 set per LEGO shipping box.

The SSD comes 2 sets per LEGO shipping box, for some strange reason.

If you're willing to buy 2 of them, you can often get them that way.
  • JP82JP82 Member Posts: 45
    Even if you buy one, they would still get you a fresh box which has not been on the shop floor.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 565
    I ordered mine from Lego [email protected] during May the Fourth, and it came it great shape. The only niggle was the indentation caused by the TC-14 minifigure that came free with the set. So, as long as you don't get some free/additional item that can be packed with the SSD, you should get a box in mint shape.
  • pumperxpumperx Member Posts: 106
    I also would like to report back that the ones I ordered from WM (site to store) did arrive in very decent shape. I would rate it 9 to 9.5 out of 10. I am pretty satisfied with the purchase. .

• ReliantReliant Member Posts: 68
    Looks great! congrats
    Wow. That looks amazing. The box looks pretty perfect.

So double points in March will give me a discount and pretty much get me a mint box.

Are these ever on discount anywhere? Whens the best time to buy?
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ Can't say it will happen again, but Target had them at $260 for about an hour a few weeks ago :).
    I'm in the UK @Poochy, but will keep my eyes and ears open!
  • ReliantReliant Member Posts: 68
    An hour!! Damn how did any one even have a chance to know it was available at that price?!?!
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ by living on brickset ! :-)

It was clearly a mistake by target stacking 20% off on top of 20% off, but a few if us got in on it before they fixed it