Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

The Most Expensive Minifigures in the Secondary Market? Most Rare?

124»

Comments

• pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    It would shock me if it went for anything under $10,000 US.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 832
    With regards to potential price, check out this thread http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/34480/ (with the added bonus of the trolling Lego Dude!)

I did postulate about the value of the gold itself:

The internets tells me that 14k gold has a density of approximately 13-14g/cc. If you melted a C-3PO minifig down you'd probably get about 3cc of gold at the very most, so using this optimistic figure you have 3 x 13.5g = 40.5g of gold, which is ends up being worth about £782, or $1,211 on the market as it is today.

But surely it's about the collector value.

One thing's for sure - it's probably worth reverse engineering your own C-3PO and Boba Fett moulds and doing some die-casting with metals!!

• SnakePlisskenSnakePlissken Member Posts: 1
    The Joker from classic 2005 batman sets fetch quite a lot. As does Alfred and Grand Moff Tarkin from Star Wars. Darth Maul from the early sets and any Emperor. Battle Damaged Darth Vader and the Apprentice. Robin, Two-Face, Mr Freeze, Bane, SCARECROW is one of the most. Him at 2nd and Joker at 1st for Batman.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    I could get a new Samsung GALAXY Y for that, disgusting
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,312
    ^ would your Samsung hold it's value over the next 2 year's compared to these minifigures?

But certainly on overall use it would be better value for money by a longshot!!
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I'm referring specifically to any fig from any of the specific CMF series', so things like the gold C3PO are out of the running.

I'm thinking the Zombie from S1 at this point, but I'm going predict that S8's Santa will eventually be the one to have. Unless Lego changes their non-repeat pattern, we won't see another Santa CMF, so this is it. He will be coveted each year around xmas and will do nothing but go up in value. Plus he really looks like a great Santa (as opposed to the scowling one in 2011's holiday set). Actually, I think he's the best Santa Lego has done yet.

Here's hoping the CMF figs do some other, similar holiday ones like a holiday elf.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Given that Lego has released Collectible figures in their main product lines I wouldn't be surprised if the Series 8 Santa replaces the ugly little pirate-hatted Santa in the Advent calendars and seasonal sets.
  • zjygkmattzjygkmatt Member Posts: 75
    Im just glad I have a Jango Fett, in mint condition. Finding him is what made me get back into Lego.
  • GuroooGurooo Member Posts: 268
    zjygkmatt said:

Im just glad I have a Jango Fett, in mint condition. Finding him is what made me get back into Lego.

We found a Jango Fett (actually the whole set) in great condition in the first box of used lego we bought. I think that night was the first time we looked at Bricklink, and our jaws dropped when we saw the price guide!

We also found a light gray Batman and Frankenstein in there... A great start to the collecting :D
    Sherlockbones
  • mrtonytjmrtonytj Guest Posts: 214
    pvancil27 said:

It would shock me if it went for anything under $10,000 US.

I actually have an open communication with the seller in question.. I saw his post from a year or two ago as some of you probably did also.. I emailed him and told him to put me on a "serious buyer list" and told him to contact me when his son is closer to wanting to sell..
    Needless to say i got an email not long ago and my "initial" bid was $25,000AUS + some tickets out to Australia to deliver it.

So i am thinking it will sell slightly higher than the £1200, $5000 or $10,000 amounts theorized about here. :-)

I have quite honestly wanted this figure to round out my collection for a while.. I have even had one made(for $AUS400 and had to supply my own gold which was around $900 if memory serves) but it is really not the same as having one of the original 5. I would say that in 15-20 years these could very well go for up to $100k.

I know it sound's crazy but there are some of us out there that are willing to part with this amount of money for these ultra collectible items.

Not only are these the absolute epitome of any Lego collection but also of any Star Wars collection.
    Does anyone know why the Chrome Stormtrooper has not risen in price?

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,263
    @Sherlockbones - It was released as a magnet set (while they could still be disconnected from their bases) which may have effected resale value, loose you can pick them up for just a few pounds. Sealed in their polybag however is a little more expensive, but given how easy it was to obtain the actual figure, I think that most people would rather buy a cheap loose Minifigure than a sealed and more expensive Minifigure, so the cost of the polybag sealed figure is perhaps lowered to reflect demand. Just a guess, but the figure itself is much more common than other chrome Minifigures I believe.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,731
    ^Its still risen in value rather well. Its on ebay at the moment for £30 and selling at that price
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 725
    I picked up a chrome trooper in a sealed blister pack for £15 about a year ago. Not as desirable as the poly but I intended to open him so I was happy at that price.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,249
    The Chrome Stormtrooper has definitely risen in price. It was easy to find these at $10 a year ago, now I'm scrambling through eBay and BL to find a bulk order cheaper than $25 a piece. Prices in the UK alone are even higher.
    Redbullgivesuwind
    I can still get it for around 10-15 pounds which is not that bad compared to the Chrome Vader, does anyone advice me to buy Vader as soon as possible?
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 725
    ^ chrome Vader is a must. Keep your eye out for a price that your happy with and bag one.
    @Sherlockbones- at that price, consider getting a few more to stock up on if you are a minifigure reseller.

Yes, I would. I got all of mine at $40-50 a piece. It's 1/10,000 just like the chrome C-3PO, and in my opinion a much cooler figure, it just needs more time to mature... like aged wine :-)
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Exactly what Sam said on Vader. Get it now before it breaks $100 barrier, which I'm sure it will one day.

It also gets me to thinking why the chrome gold C3-POs are so high in price when the numbers of 1/10,000 makes it not as rare as other exclusives like NYCC/SDCC Superheroes.
    Really? Hmm

I might get it next year as in next month
  • Tevans333Tevans333 Member Posts: 150

^Exactly what Sam said on Vader. Get it now before it breaks $100 barrier, which I'm sure it will one day.

It also gets me to thinking why the chrome gold C3-POs are so high in price when the numbers of 1/10,000 makes it not as rare as other exclusives like NYCC/SDCC Superheroes.

I was wondering the same thing. I was in my dark ages when these came out, but aren't the Chrome Vader and Chrome C3PO both 1/10,000? Why is C3PO 5 times the price as Vader?
    ^Much can be attributed to the fact that C-3PO is from 2007, and Vader from 2009. Like I said in the previous post, that has given C-3PO more time to age. It was also the first promotional Star Wars minifigure produced in larger quantities. Thus, you have to account for the fact that no one really knew how it was going to do on the after market, and if collectors were even interested in including "exclusives" as a part of their collection... so not all the minifigure collectors purchased one at the time of its release.

So... More people knew, when Vader was released, that SW exclusives would increase in price, and also be valuable assets to complete a collection. More people purchased Vader when he came out (plus it's a great figure!). However, with episodes 7,8,9... and an increasing SW market, we'll see even more collectors that need Vader, as well as C-3PO. I'm expecting both to increase, however Vader has a much higher ceiling and will have a greater exponential increase than C-3PO because of the fact he is sitting at a much more reasonable price, currently.

Another possibility, is the fact that the Chrome C-3PO baggie is marked 1/10,000, while the Vader bag is not. It actually isn't common knowledge that Vader is in fact, 1/10,000.

Those are just a few theories that I have... but if I listed them all, I would surely start to ramble!
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 435
    Also, please remember something that it's really strange that nobody said.

The C3PO was inserted in 10.000 random big sets around the globe. Only that. Many have been lost already.

The Chrime Darth had been inserted in 10.000 sets, even battlepacks, and also were given away by many retailers as a promotional item, or by completing surveys.

They are both 1/10.000, but this is the reason why the C3PO is rarer than the Darth.

Of course, in my humble opinion. I always like to hear what people think.
    If I brought a sealed 2009 set, would I have a chance of getting Darth Vader?
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,312
    edited December 2012
    samiam391 said:

It actually isn't common knowledge that Vader is in fact, 1/10,000.

I would say a lot more than 10,000 of these figures were produced and circulated across various promotions! Exact figure..who knows, as with all of these type of promotions one can only guess, despite press releases. But if the reports were right about 10,000 being inserted in to sets that's 10,000 minimum straight away, then coupled with various promotions (some large/some small) across the globe it could easily be double??
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,263
    I really regret not picking up a chrome C-3PO a couple of years ago when I saw a MISP one on eBay for only £120 buy it now, but thinking it would come along for even less soon, I passed on it. Other than that though I have all the chrome figures both MISP and unsealed, so that's something.

If I brought a sealed 2009 set, would I have a chance of getting Darth Vader?

Yes, of course. Just as much a probability as if you had purchased the set in 2009.

samiam391 said:

It actually isn't common knowledge that Vader is in fact, 1/10,000.

I would say a lot more than 10,000 of these figures were produced and circulated across various promotions! Exact figure..who knows, as with all of these type of promotions one can only guess, despite press releases. But if the reports were right about 10,000 being inserted in to sets that's 10,000 minimum straight away, then coupled with various promotions (some large/some small) across the globe it could easily be double??
    Eh.... can't say I agree with that. With Chrome C-3PO, there are roughly 10,500... Chrome Vader is most likely the same. However, 20,000 vader? No, can't see that. But as always, I could be wrong.
  • TheCableGuyTheCableGuy Member Posts: 115
    Sorry to tell you Sam, but i think you are wrong.

There are at least 40,000 Chrome Vaders and by my reckoning maybe more.

There were 10,000 for the US market, and i know of another 10K for the UK market, 10K for Europe and at least 10K for the rest of the world.

That's the main reason why Vader has not reached the heights of Chrome Threepio, yet and probably wont. It will still do well but i can't see the same figures.
    edited December 2012

Sorry to tell you Sam, but i think you are wrong.

There are at least 40,000 Chrome Vaders and by my reckoning maybe more.

There were 10,000 for the US market, and i know of another 10K for the UK market, 10K for Europe and at least 10K for the rest of the world.

That's the main reason why Vader has not reached the heights of Chrome Threepio, yet and probably wont. It will still do well but i can't see the same figures.

@TheCableGuy- Can you tell me where you get your sources please?

I believe that you are mistaken in believing that there are 10,000 for each continent (again I could be wrong though). Plus, 10k for the UK AND 10k for Europe... that already makes the source seem a little fishy ;-)

I'm still sold on the fact that there are 10,000 of them. Nothing (eBay, BL, a source) has ever suggested that there are 40,000 +....
    10K were inserted into random sets in the US, you agree with this? Well that is not allowed in the UK market and some EU countries, so they were given away as a promotion in the UK via TRUs and i know how many each TRU store got supporting the 10K for my domestic market.

The amount that was coming out of Europe via promotions also suggests 10k for them. With the greatest of respect you have not been monitoring how many have come out in Europe or their availbility on ebay UK etc.

The chrome Vader has the same amount as white Boba and that's why we are not seeing the same price trajectory as the chrome Threepio, if there were only 10k then we would be seeing a higher price by now.
    I did a little digging:

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/4547551_Chrome_Darth_Vader

They were also given away as promotionals in some LEGO brand stores, or with the purchase of certain amounts of LEGO Star Wars sets in other countries. Additionally, a New York Toy Fair 2009 exclusive contained this Minifigure.

Also, from our friendly Brickset itself:

Toys-R-Us in the UK has just started a LEGO Star Wars promotion - spend £29.99 or more on LEGO Star Wars sets in a TRU store and receive a *free* Chrome Darth Vader, previously only available when pre-ordering the 2009 Vader's TIE in Sweden or as a random insert in North American LEGO Star Wars sets. They are apparently handed out at the check-out after you've paid.

Chrome Darth Vader Promotion - in JAPAN

Sorry, I can not communicate well in English.
    I'm Japanese.

1."Chrome Darth Vader Promotion"with"7753 Pirate Tank", the magazine "Figure-ou(Figure-King)" will be sold exclusively in the magazine.
    Limited set of drawing 300.
    Including postage 8,350yen (about$87.82)

2."Chrome Darth Vader Promotion"with"7778 Millenium Falcon" will be sold exclusively at the event"Next Generation World Hobby Fair 2009 summer".
    2009/6/20-2009/6/21.
    Limited set of 120.
    7,350yen (about$77.30)

Lego store mini figure building event
    Wednesday, june 17
    visit the lego store on june 17th from 5:00 - 7:00 pm to participate in a darth vader minifigure speed building event! Builds start promptly every 10 minutes and the fastest builder will win a limited edition Darth Vader minifigure to take home! Everyone will receive a Darth Vader Magnet for participating. see additional contest rules, terms & condtions at the lego store. No purchase necessary.

And finally:

"A lego Representitive said there are 10,000 in USA and 85,000 on the planet."

I find the above comment hard to believe.. however there are certainly a lot of them out there.

I think with their release in little special promotions all across the world, it will be difficult to completely assess their value and how many there actually are unfortunately. Could be 11,000, 15,000, 20,000, 40,000, or even 100,000. All we can do is watch the value on BL and eBay, and see what happens!

It's always enjoyable to prove myself wrong!
    Hey Sam

Why would you rather believe a wiki type website over a Lego representative? You know how notorious these websites can be.

There were 200 at each TRU in the UK with approximately 50 stores in early 2009 - as the saying goes, you do the math.

Considering the amount of these i have sold in the past and still own i would rather be wrong and that there are only 10k.

However to state that there are only 10,000 worldwide is a bit disingenuous when either you (or me) are trying to sell them.

If the Lego rep says 85K global then i would say it's probably in that ballpark too.

I do agree that it's value has been hurt by not printing on the packet that it is one of a limited run of x like threepio, meaning that more are likely not to appreciate it's value and open it/play with it/treat it like a normal minifigure.

Hey Sam

Why would you rather believe a wiki type website over a Lego representative? You know how notorious these websites can be.

There were 200 at each TRU in the UK with approximately 50 stores in early 2009 - as the saying goes, you do the math.

Considering the amount of these i have sold in the past and still own i would rather be wrong and that there are only 10k.

However to state that there are only 10,000 worldwide is a bit disingenuous when either you (or me) are trying to sell them.

If the Lego rep says 85K global then i would say it's probably in that ballpark too.

I do agree that it's value has been hurt by not printing on the packet that it is one of a limited run of x like threepio, meaning that more are likely not to appreciate it's value and open it/play with it/treat it like a normal minifigure.

I never said anywhere above that I believe a wiki website over a LEGO representative. In my opinion though, the brickipedia section is better than most/all of wikipedia.

Either way though, I wouldn't entirely believe the LEGO employee entirely either. They all here different numbers, and all you have to do is point towards EOLing sets to see the inconsistency between managers and when they think sets will retire.

"However to state that there are only 10,000 worldwide is a bit disingenuous when either you (or me) are trying to sell them."

And, 10,000... that is what I truly believed until a few minutes ago until doing some research. I wouldn't state something unless I believed it.. however after doing research, I've been proven wrong. And that's fine. I'd rather be proven wrong and find the real answer than sit around believing something that is false. Read the above and you'll find that most people believed 10,000 was the number as well :-)

I won't specifically state a number of how many there actually are, because I don't know it. Like I said, it could be an entire large range of numbers. This is one we really won't know.. and again, we'll just have to watch the market prices on them to best discern their numbers! :-)
    Quick question, if the President does not sort out the money problem before tomorrow, will all LEGO prices drop a lot or not? If I buy Vader for £40 then it drops to £20 , I would not be very happy...

I think Threepio is rarer as
    1) It's older
    2) It was alot harder to get him.

I doubt Vader will reach the prices of him, maybe £100 or so not any higher
    kez said:
    I was reading back through the comments (always fun to do) on this thread, and saw this post. Aw... $760 for those figures. A price I'd immediately hand over for those figures now a days. It's amazing at how fast a rate they shot up since than.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    prof1515 said:

Given that Lego has released Collectible figures in their main product lines I wouldn't be surprised if the Series 8 Santa replaces the ugly little pirate-hatted Santa in the Advent calendars and seasonal sets.

I doubt they will - only some of the moulds have been reused (eg man-bat), not the exact parts. Indeed, next year's Chritmas model still contains a plain old-style Santa. http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=40059-1
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    CCC said:

prof1515 said:

I doubt they will - only some of the moulds have been reused (eg man-bat), not the exact parts. Indeed, next year's Chritmas model still contains a plain old-style Santa. http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=40059-1
    What may be more likely is a Holiday minifig 3-pack set, similar to the Halloween one which contained the witch, ghost, and zombie. I don't recall the Series 10 and 11 lineup/rumors. Was there a Mrs. Claus, Elf, or Reindeer Suit Guy?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    ^ It would probably sell well, given how well CMF8 Santa has sold. Elves are easy to make from the garden gnome too. And a three pack could just be a Santa and two elves. That is exactly what my kids got in the custom advent calendar last year on 22nd, 23rd and 24th December.