Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Christmas/Holiday themed display thread

2»

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,889
  • Peter1975Peter1975 DeventerMember Posts: 166
    Okay, nice jobs everyone. Here's my Winter Village:

Hope you like it.

Peter1975
    tk79oldtodd33BrickDancermidwestguySilentMode
  • BELTRADBELTRAD Scotland, United KingdomMember Posts: 90
    edited December 2012
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    @Peter1975 looks great. Jealous of the train. Definitely something I'm going to have to look into. Love the lights as well. Something else I have to look into.

@BELTRAD like the haunted house with snow on it. It could almost double as a set up for an Eboneazer Scrooge scene.

Still working on mine... Have the bakery and Toyshop built so far... Working on how to display them now as well as a ski slope. Pics soon.
  • Peter1975Peter1975 DeventerMember Posts: 166
    @Deadareus : For the lights I use the same lights as they use in regular snow houses. Here in Holland there's a company called Lemax. They have all kind of variaties for this. But you could also think of light of the wellknown Marklinn train sets.
    Oh, and if you find a Holiday train for sale, don't be shocked if you have to pay a fortune. But it's still worth it! Good luck. Looking forward to your Pics.
    Regards.
    Thanks @Peter1975

Yeah, I realize the train would cost me a fortune now and I've told myself that I am not going to spend a fortune on EOL'd items that I have missed out on as I just came out of my dark ages 1 yr ago.

HOWEVER, I did happen to get a bin of used bricks which seems to contain the Hogwarts Express (not motorized) and was thinking I could transform that into a Christmas themed train fairly easily even if it doesn't run around on a track.
    Finally finished the display... for now.

Winter Cottage is going under the tree tonight.

Merry Christmas everybody! Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful displays! they provided some great inspiration!

Brickbaseevantylerjimmyp1982atkinsarmidwestguy
  • turtle1173turtle1173 Member Posts: 230
    Great pics everyone. Here's our setup this year.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    BrickDancerevantyler
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Late entry since I was waiting for the Holiday Train to arrive. But here's our Winter Village complete with 9v Track. The train really makes it all come to life.

evantylermidwestguy
    Here's a link to a short clip with close-ups of the Village and the train in action. (It can go faster than that, but is prone to derailing at the turn)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brickdancer/8319863367/in/photostream
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    @BrickDancer did you buy the Holiday Train whole or did you do a BL project on it?
    @Steve_J_OM It was a BL project to make 2 copies of the Holiday Train. Including minifigs, instructions and original box. It's actually quite pricey to piece this one together because of the windows being rare. Shaving off roughly $100 from the going price of a used set.
    @BrickDancer That is absolutely awesome! It's perfect!

Something to strive for! Thanks for sharing.

@Steve_J_OM It was a BL project to make 2 copies of the Holiday Train. Including minifigs, instructions and original box. It's actually quite pricey to piece this one together because of the windows being rare. Shaving off roughly $100 from the going price of a used set.

Thanks! I was hoping it'd be more of a saving, it's fetching crazy money at the moment. I actually thought it'd be the power function that made it pricey to put together. I wonder if there are any decent substitute windows that could be used?

Also, here's my effort this year. This is about all the space I have, so next year might be problematic when the next set comes out....

imageimage
    BrickDancermidwestguyBrianevantyler
    ^That looks really good! I like the snow effect, what did you use?
    Thanks, I found some ready-made fake snow in a store, it really brought the whole set up to life! Next year I'm going to make a backdrop like yours, the brown isn't the most lively of holiday colours!
  • flyernutflyernut Member Posts: 12
    I decided against buying the pricey white windows. I BL'd the train this year as well. I bought purple ones for 2 cents each and spraypainted them as they're only going to be used for the train. You can't tell the difference.
    ^^I got the backdrop paper at Joann's craft store. One roll was all that was needed to make the back drop (folded in half for extra thickness to prevent see-through) and rest used to cover the table itself using the plain reverse side. It was a great find that will also help with my other endeavors at SW-based displays.

That fake snow you used really does look perfect. The finer grain size gives a realistic scale to the minifigs. As opposed to cotton balls or the such that I was considering.

I forgot to mention the power part! Since I went with 9v instead of Power Functions, that was a doozy in costs I didn't expect. The table size (69" x 37.5") dictated the tracks to be 16 curved & 16 straight. The regulator and power set, plus the electric motor that is used in the tender. Puts the set-up at over $150, on top of the train itself. But the metal tracks were calling to me, so couldn't help choosing it over PF. =)
  • bigjsdbigjsd Member Posts: 62
    I'm a little late to the discussion but just wanted to post a pic of our village under the tree before the season is completely gone. Happy New Year everyone!!
    BrickDancerjimmyp1982evantyler
  • tommygtommyg Member Posts: 1
    I have the toy shop and just purchased the post office. Considering the cottage before I miss out on it and looking for a reasonableish deal on the bakery. Should have bought it last year.

I love the holiday train but didn't have enough spare cash at the time it was out to buy it. Anybody know if they are likely to bring out another one?
    It's pure speculation at this point as to whether they might. Considering the success the Christmas theme seems to be having I would think it's likely. It would make sense to do another holiday train utilizing the power functions. However I was able to pick up the 9v Holiday Train from a Lego store at 50% off when they were available so I don't know how successful the Holiday Train actually was for Lego. Of course there were no other holiday themed sets to go along with it at the time either.
    tommyg said:

I have the toy shop and just purchased the post office. Considering the cottage before I miss out on it and looking for a reasonableish deal on the bakery. Should have bought it last year.

Don't worry about the Cottage, it will be around for the next two holiday seasons based on the current Winter Village EOL pattern. Get the Bakery as soon as possible before the price hikes, as it has just been discontinued.

As for the possibility of another train, as @bigjsd says one can only speculate. Having missed the train, and not being able to see myself affording one at the current rates, I sincerely hope they do but it is more in hope than expectation.
    I really hope another holiday train is in store for us somewhere down the road as well.

Having only come out of my dark ages 14 months ago I am still far behind on my want list with what's on store shelves now let alone trying to BL or eBay sets from the past.
    Deadareus said:

I really hope another holiday train is in store for us somewhere down the road as well.

Having only come out of my dark ages 14 months ago I am still far behind on my want list with what's on store shelves now let alone trying to BL or eBay sets from the past.

The Emerald Night is a great beginning to an awesome holiday train. There is no reason you couldn't create your own Holiday Train with it leading the way. I decided next year I am going to motorize my EN so it can get some pull under the tree as well.
    Just IMO, I have the EN built right now too, but it didn't look right when put in the Winter Village. It appeared too real and serious compared to the light and fun feel of the WV buildings.