Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

My wife's comin around…

bkprbkpr Texas, USAMember Posts: 295
edited July 2011 in Everything else LEGO
So, today my wife suggested we begin the Lego Death Star build tomorrow. We. Together. Unprecedented.

Just wanted to share.
Has this happened to anyone before? Any tips for the big day? I expect she'll get bored after 10 instruction pages :P

Comments

• bluelion3bluelion3 Member Posts: 156
    Build the minifigs first so you can play and goof around if the main build gets boring. Maybe she can build the TIE fighter if she gets bored with the main build. Did you already sort the pieces to make the build easier?
  • war44lockwar44lock Member Posts: 75
    I'm envious. My fiancee just isn't into it at all and can't see why I am. Still, I will persist.
  • JezzatheshedJezzatheshed Member Posts: 159
    Be very carefull. My 20 year old daughter took over the building of my airport!
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Get some cheese and wine and have fun with it is my advice.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Build a section each, have a film on in the background
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 315
    Be patient; my wife and I will switch off on pages. I usually build my half, then help her find any remaining pieces she is still searching for. That is going to be a big build and you might consider breaking it up over a couple of nights. That's what we did with the Tower Bridge.
  • fox171171fox171171 Member Posts: 45
    When we do it together, my wife likes to build, and lets me get the pieces for the next step. I don't get to build too much, but at least we are doing it together. She is more interested in building stuff like the Village Bakery and Winter Toy Shop than she is in Star Wars.
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    My wife builds nearly all my lego! This week she built 6211 Star Destroyer over a couple of nights, I just piece 'em all together in displays and layouts!
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    Building with my wife is lots of fun! We conquered the Pet Shop over a night and morning. Each of us took a building and loved it!
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    If she gets bored, give her a kiss that has your creativity in it! ;-)
  • bkprbkpr Texas, USAMember Posts: 295

@bluelion3 Yeah, she'll be putting the minifigs together and I thought about the TIE. I haven't sorted anything yet — I looked in the boxes and everything was numbered so I assumed we'd go by the numbers and it'd be sorted on its own?

@war44lock It's in interesting situation: today, there are mass anti-government rallies in Kuala Lumpur, so it's best not to wander outside today. In addition, the government were rumoured to be disrupting mobile and internet communications (which I can report *is* happening given how slow everything's loading today). All these things, while not great, have given my wife a reason not to work on saturday (!!) and to consider building with me :)

@jezzatheshed If I know Kelly as well as I think I do… I don't think I'm in too much danger of her taking over.

@doriansdad and @Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK both good ideas.

@MCNwakeboard I'm not very good at splitting things up over many days: http://bartkowalski.com/2011/07/10030-lego-star-destroyer/ Maybe it's a sacrifice I'll need to make. Marriage is grand, isn't it? ;P

@Orthobotrex heh :)

@everyone_else Thanks for you suggestions and advice.

I wasn't expecting much of a reaction actually, I was just excited and having a bit of a cheeky laugh about my situation being unprecedented. I'm happy to hear it' not.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,601
    ^ Yes, the parts come seperated for you in numbered bags but it is difficult to build different pieces of it because the directions are wire o bound all together and you would have to flip the book to different parts to build seperately.
    I see. Thanks for the info. I assume the four boxes work in 'order', so I i'll open all the bags in one box and separate the parts.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    edited July 2011
    Build the minifigs first so you can play and goof around if the main build gets boring. Maybe she can build the TIE fighter if she gets bored with the main build. Did you already sort the pieces to make the build easier?
    That's what I get my 3 year old son to do when he "helps" me build sets.
  • Bluefox1966Bluefox1966 UKMember Posts: 360
    My wife had never seen Star wars until last year, then all of a sudden she asked to watch it. I was in a state of shock as I'd always been a fan and had tried to get her to see it for years. She promptly fell asleep after 20 minuets. :-)
    Heh, my wife recently said: Which one is the Millennium Falcon? Is that the one they fly around in a lot?

:D
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    If she's not into SW and you want her to give building something big a go, go with a modular or the MMV or MVR - utterly charming to anyone, whether they like lego or not, and the books for each building are seperate, so you can build one each :)
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    I have heard someone describe the LEGO Death Star as a "doll-house for guys"! So, maybe that's what she is attracted to...(c;

It will be a long build, so just let her enjoy helping as long as she wants. Have fun!
    Hey all.

Started building last night after dinner. We had (Aussie) masterchef on the telly, Kelly had a few glasses of wine, and she was in charge of building (while I sorted the pieces). I must say, she was pretty good; only one piece out of place (by one stud) :D

She had fun, so I had fun, despite me sorting instead of building. I think it'll be great to have it completed as a joint project.

@savage_steel Thanks for the suggestion. I've only purchased a few SW sets, and I don't think I'll get any more* unless they release a newer, stronger, somehow more jaw-dropping Star Destroyer. I only really wanted to collect my favourite machines form the films and put them on display. Of course, Kelly might get the bug :P

* famous last words, I'm sure…
  • SparkyHamSparkyHam Bristol, UKMember Posts: 141
    edited July 2011
    My wife had never seen Star wars until last year, then all of a sudden she asked to watch it. I was in a state of shock as I'd always been a fan and had tried to get her to see it for years. She promptly fell asleep after 20 minuets. :-)
    Haha - your post made me laugh out loud, "She promptly fell asleep after 20 minutes". I've had this happen to me with SO many good movies, i.e. Minority Report, Heat, Memento, L.A. Confidential.

When it comes to building LEGO, we sit down together at the dining room table, where my wife makes hand-made cards (for her little business), and I make LEGO. We both make an effort to check each others work out, take turns making tea, and enjoy spending time together on things we like doing.
    @marknam tell me about it, it's like taking a sleeping pill for her ( BTW Memento absolute classic), any decent Sci-fi film and she's asleep any period drama and I'm asleep :-). We don't do Lego together, she has no interest at all (I can't understand why not), but like you and your wife she has her hobbies and tea and Bickies are on a strictly rotational basis.
  • tomcatttomcatt CanadaMember Posts: 24
    edited July 2011
    My husband has no interest in my Lego, and generally thinks I'm a bit crazy, but that's fairly normal for me. We put on a movie, and I build at the coffee table while we both watch the show. Works best if it's something I've seen already, or I end up paying a lot of attention to the movie, and the build is really slow! From time to time I point out cool things in the build, and he absently nods. :) Otherwise, I build alone in my Lego room, with music on - it's my 'me' time.

When I built the Death Star, I went through the Star Trek movies in order. My sort and build took about 14 hours, over 2 days. I hate the bag numbering, so I just dumped it all together and sorted the set as a whole - it was about 2 hours of work. I was going to watch Star Wars, but realized I'd take even longer to build as I'd be trying to actually watch the movies too... :)
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,013
    ^^^ The perfect wife. :)
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    I got my wife interested in LEGO through three things:
    1. Two young boys who like LEGO and *twisted* their father's arm to begin a collection (and dig out his old sets).
    2. She is inquisitive and enjoyed the hunt of figuring out what is in the minifig collector bags.
    3. She is one of those extreme couponers, so the BOGO sales and the clearance stuff is a in-your-face challenge for her. Now she is often more diligent about LEGO sales than I am!
    One more suggestion: If your wife is the industrious type, you have to pitch in and get everything in the house cleaned up before you try to sit and build a set with her, otherwise, she will see it as time unproductive. Take a deep breath and pitch in!
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,275
    Nice stories about your spouses (or spouses-to-be)... Unfortunately not all spouses are so tolerant. I know of one USA Pennsylvania LEGO collector who's wife divorced him over his LEGO obsession. And I know of 2 Texas collectors who have LEGO purchases mailed to their workplace instead of home. So you folks are among the lucky ones!!

As a LEGO historian, I always find old LEGO items, some of which is amusing about LEGO... and this is attached image from a 1957 German LEGO catalog is no exception... the caption of the cartoon reads in German.... "Mom... when is Dad going to bed?"...
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    I'm fortunate that my wife is tolerant of my obsessive collecting and enjoys helping me build. We recently built the Tower Bridge and found it to be a fun side-by-side partner build due to the symmetry requiring duplication of steps.
    edited July 2011
    I certainly find the symmetrical builds work best, hubby would happily build new, large sets on a regular basis, (but obviously money makes that not possible, and most of my buys are second hand bulk lots)
    But if the build is symmetrical it feels fairer. Although we still use rock paper scissors to decide who puts the figs together ;-)
  • dodgedodge Member Posts: 14
    I've tried to get my wife invovled when it comes to the larger builds. We built the Pet Shop together the other night (she the blue and me the brown buildings respectively) and it was a good time.

The best build so far was when we tackled the Tower Bridge together. She took a tower at the same time as I which allowed the MAMMOTH build to go a bit quicker. i think she really got into it.
    ^^ Where do you find the best place to buy second hand bulk lots, most of the stuff I bought on ebay has been thoroughly cherry picked.
    It's really hit and miss to be honest. If there's a local set listed as pick up only, it tends to go much lower price than one willing to post, for obvious reasons.
    And keep an eye out for lots with instructions, if they've not taken care of their instructions, they've probably not taken care of their sets/bricks either.
    Good call, I never thought of the instructions angle and in hind site your right, of the bulk lots I bought with instructions they were definitely better, although I did once buy a lot with instruction but missed the small print where they said the item was stored in there garage. The pages of the books were almost welded together where the damp had got to them.

I haven't bought a bulk lot on Ebay for a while now. Maybe we should get a list of Ebay user names on brickset so we don't bid against each other.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    edited July 2011
    Great to see so many ladies into Lego. My wife FINALLY has come to the dark side after going with me and my son to some Monthly Model builds(seeing all the kids and havin' fun) and noticed Diagon Alley on display and was really into the aesthitics of the kit. She's even hinted of it as a present and was interested in building it...so I'm stoked!
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    Having two women in the household (wife and 6-year-old), getting them into Lego has been a challenge. I'm glad BKR started this post, it's interesting to see so many responses. I wanted to share one experience that helped get the wifey more interested recently.

I got a Lighthouse Island for Father's Day - certainly one of the best Dad's Day gifts ever. Much better than a watch or shirt.

So I decided we should all build this together. Everyone objected, but I insisted. And to make it fair - we each took turns building (step-by-step). It was interesting to see the excitement build not knowing what parts you'd get to add on your turn (door, windows, fish, railing, etc). And we all added the Light Brick together to a world chorus behind us. It was great.
    I let my wife add the final shield generator on the UCS Star Destroyer (I put these on last because they're my favourite part of the ship). Now when people see the model and ask if *I* built it, I tell them I built most of it, but couldn't have finished without Kelly's help :)

Also, an update on the Death Star:
    Kelly and I had built the first two boxes together; up to the middle floor. But she's been super-busy at work and working from home too. We did a little more this morning but she's given me the go-ahead to finish it myself, after seeing how tortured I am with a half-built model lying 'round the house.

Win/win :)
  • TervlonTervlon Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2011
    My wife greatly enjoyed building the Medieval Market Village. She is also cursed/blessed to have married into a LEGO family so she receives LEGO from my parents for Christmas every year whether she wants it or not. She is excited to build the Christmas Village buildings this year for part of her decorations and I'm sure she will ask for the new one this year.

She graciously puts up with all of my LEGO as we share the craft room space. She is very supportive of the hobby and really enjoys walking around at BrickFair every year. I think my 3 ft long WIP steamboat MOC on the coffe table is starting to drive her nuts though. I only have a few weeks until BF though, I'm sure she will survive. :)