Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Custom Minifig Scale Automobile Designs

StyerStyer Huntington, WV, USAMember Posts: 73
Minifigure scale civilian cars seem to be something of a weak spot in the LEGO City lineup. It seems like they are almost always shades of red. Would folks here be interested in posting their own designs for minifigure scale cars or trucks? Even if they are red.

Comments

• plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    I would be interested in this too, and if I think of any I may well post them. In the meantime, why not check out places like MOCPages? There are some pretty good builds on there, you just have to look around a bit.
  • StyerStyer Huntington, WV, USAMember Posts: 73
    I've seen a few in the past, when I wasn't specifically looking for them, but I don't know if I've ever checked out MOCPages for cars.
    The only thing about that is that they won't have instructions, and it's not the easiest thing in the world to copy someone else's design. :P
    Good point about instructions. This thread may be less useful than I had hoped.

Anyway, here's the car I made:
    The back end perhaps looks a little short, and I can't decide if the sand piece is making that better or worse.

I don't like that the red plate on the chassis plate is visible from the back. I need to either replace it with a more appropriately colored plate or make the back of the car come down a bit lower.

It's hard for me to tell because I built the thing, but I don't think it would be all that complicated a design to figure out from eyeballing it, even without instructions.
    ^Nice. I can see what you mean about the sand piece. It definitely needs something behind the driver, but I'm not sure that that's the piece you want. That said, it does look like a folded-up convertible roof.
    Instructions aren't too hard to do, though: If you build it with the "Lego Digital Designer" computer program, there is a button you can click to make it automatically generate a pdf instruction booklet.
    edited December 2012

^Nice. I can see what you mean about the sand piece. It definitely needs something behind the driver, but I'm not sure that that's the piece you want. That said, it does look like a folded-up convertible roof.

Thanks. You're right that it may not be the piece I need, but it's definitely the color I want, and I like that the piece is textured (which doesn't exactly "show" in the photos, but I think is visible in real life). I was going for a folded-down convertible roof, and I think that a beige cloth roof on a black convertible is classy. Now the question is what piece would be "portray" that.

Instructions aren't too hard to do, though: If you build it with the "Lego Digital Designer" computer program, there is a button you can click to make it automatically generate a pdf instruction booklet.

I've not played with LEGO Digital Designer yet. I might have to give it a try.

Do you have any cars you can show?
    I have a couple of designs I've fiddled around with, but they're often a little smaller than minifig scale. I might post a couple of pics if I can get my camera to cooperate. :P
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    Ill play:

Mack (short haul) tractor:

Subaru WRX:

1993 Chevy S10:

1999 Civic Type R:

..............WOW mine are all red too!!! I have alot of extra red elements from old "M-Tron" space sets ;->.
    plasmodium
    crazycarl said:

Mack (short haul) tractor:

It looks like original Optimus Prime. Awesome!
    crazycarl said:

.............WOW mine are all red too!!! I have alot of extra red elements from old "M-Tron" space sets ;->.

I have a fair bit of random red blocks from Atlantis submarines and such.
    Over at Classic-Town.net I found post tags for 4-Stud Wide Vehicles and 6-Stud Wide Vehicles. Both categories are full of minifigure scaled cars and trucks, usually with a few pics and a link to Eurobricks, which is apparently inoperative at the moment. I'm already itching to build some of these.
    edited December 2012
    ^The second link (6-wide vehicles) just takes me back to here...
    But the first one looks like it could be a pretty good 'resource'.
    Crud. I'll repost it later.
    Just reposting the link for the 6-stud wide vehicles.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,540
    edited December 2012
    Love old school 4 stud wide designs, probably cause I grew up in that 'era' for LEGO.
    The one thing that is always lacking to me for MOC photos is underneath the cars, especially the 6 wide.
    While I have ideas about what to do for '6 wides', I would appreciate it to see how others make their Six wides which I think can best be seen with pics of the underneath of the vehicles. Can anyone post theirs?
    Just wondering how people are building the 'chassis' and bodies.. are you using an actual frame? Or just a 2x8 or 10 and the fender flare pieces?
    On my black car, above, I just used a standard frame.