Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Amazon (and the likes) Post Christmas Sale in the U.S

VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
edited January 2014 in Shopping USA/Canada
Just wondering what the trend is and what is to be expected on boxing day and the following days after Christmas and new years . Are there major mark down on Lego prices witnessed on as well at Amazon and TRU (Online) etc ?

Advisable to put a hold on the wish list purchases till Christmas ?

Comments

• crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    edited December 2012
    Well Amazon is selling #10197 Fire Brigade for $119 and #10226 Town Hall for $165 now!
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    Yes pretty good deals ,both of them. Unfortunately or fortunately I have them both , but I guess my real question is that do we see an Amazon wide dramatic fall in prices historically or the post christmas big price drops are only at the physical stores .
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,150
    LEGO is rumored to be having a post Christmas sale that will rival that of the weak BF sale.. From what I have heard the Post Christmas sale for LEGO will be decent.. I guess it also depends on what is left in stock that was being EOL'd
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ which means nothing much. items that are EOL this year haven't been in stock at my LEGO store since Spring/Summer
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    Last year LEGO's own post Christmas sale was dismal. Pretty much the only sets on sale were a bunch of keychains, and sets that nobody wanted anyway. No big sets or desirable sets were on the list. I don't remember Amazon having a post Christmas sale. The absolute best was Walmart. Amazing large sets 50% off! That was sweet!... (c:
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ And because of last year, I don't expect Walmart do it again. They seem to have learned, it feels different looking at their stocks. Retiring sets have already largely gone from the local shelves, stocks of sets I expect to see on sale, are already low.

Last year, the shelves were stuffed full the day after Christmas, today they are half empty a week before Christmas.

Still worth checking out, just don't expect a repeat.
    dragonhawk
  • staffmarkstaffmark Member Posts: 44
    Here's my question for you all: do you think that the big holiday clearance sales at B&M stores are now a thing of the past? And if so, why do you think that is? The more I watch this stuff, the more I am starting to think that your best bet is sticking with the online sales, stacking coupon codes when available online, etc. It seems to me that you can find almost any set at 30%-35% off at some point these days, but it likely won't be a holiday related sale, and holding out in hopes of 50%, either online or in store, is likely going to be a vain pursuit. Am I mistaken? Thoughts?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,765
    ^ In the UK, possibly, at least in the short term. We have been spoilt with large discounts, 3 for 2 deals and so on recently. They might still do big clearances to get rid of the ones that will still not sell.

This might change when the economy picks up and more people have cash to spare.
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    As far as [email protected] sales for post Christmas, I would not expect anything too spectacular. They have done a good job clearing inventory thus far, and the "big ones" that are left to go, will clear out fine with a little 10% help if any at all. Their marketing strategies have changed quite a bit form last year.
  • staffmarkstaffmark Member Posts: 44
    FatMatt said:

As far as [email protected] sales for post Christmas, I would not expect anything too spectacular. They have done a good job clearing inventory thus far, and the "big ones" that are left to go, will clear out fine with a little 10% help if any at all. Their marketing strategies have changed quite a bit form last year.

Agreed. But why do you think the marketing strategies have changed so much in just one year? It's as if retailers, including TLG, just woke up one morning and realized how hot of a seller Lego is when they were ignorant previous. What do you think has changed in the past year to change the strategy so dramatically?
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    staffmark said:

It's as if retailers, including TLG, just woke up one morning and realized how hot of a seller Lego is when they were ignorant previous.

Yep, it probably is just that simple.

LEGO is growing 30% year over year, retailers have long memories and recall from 10 years ago not being able to sell LEGO unless it was heavily discounted.

How many stories on here do you read about a few years ago sets like Home One sitting around on shelves for 50% off for weeks after Christmas.

Everyone in retail remembers that and it takes time and experience to write new memories.

The dollar amounts involved are large, Walmart/Target/etc. do not just "guess" and "hope", they calculate as much as possible.

Walmart has an entire building of people in Arkansas who do nothing but buy stuff and watch the market for what has moved well and what will move well in the future. Billions and billions of dollars are at stake.

When multiple resellers went into Walmart last year and cleared out entire stocks, I have no doubt their computers noticed this and flagged it for review. Then someone at some point sat down and looked at what was shelf-cleared, what it sold for on eBay 3-6 months later, and what could be recovered from those 50% discounts if they did a bit more before Christmas.

Target did 30% and even 50% off last week, two weeks BEFORE Christmas. That may well have been a response to last year.

These companies can be stupid, but they are not stupid, and there is a difference between the two. :)
    I think it partly is because their data shows a depressed economy, at least in the US, and they have been keeping their stocks lower (as evidenced by much of the year seeing certain sets always on back order at LEGO.com or out of stock at the retailers).
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Nothing's changed. Walmart has been clearancing lego at 50% all year... I see no reason why it won't continue...
    ^The way I understand Walmart it is that corporate or regional corporate dictates when to clearance/markdown items across the board, thus the approximately 30% widely spread Lego clearance sale that occurred this summer. Further markdowns are individual store discretionary markdowns allocated by the amount of "markdown money" an individual store has. So, some stores may see Lego clearanced out at 50%-70% off or more while others never go past 30%, which is usually the case around me. So, in regards to Walmart clearancing Lego at 50% all year, I know many stores have, but not around my area. 50% was not a corporate mandate. I was quite thrilled with one $50 Frigate I found this year, as that rarely ever happens around here.
    Heck, I have found only one Walmart near me that has clearance'd items and most were cleared out at that time, I think other AFOLs have cleared out the Walmarts by me, either an AFOL is working at each Walmart and grab anything they see on clearance, or there just are AFOLs with nothing better to do than to go to Walmart every morning looking for clearance items.
    edited December 2012
    Alright so any educated guesses if we have seen the lowest online prices of sets like the Imperial Shuttle ( $ 208) , Helm,s Deep @ 105 at Amazon etc , Do the pundits feel we are yet to see the lowest lows on these or is the only way upward from here?

Also I am a bit curious to know the reasons why we have not seen much anynreal price drops on modulars like Pet Shop and Grand EMporium at all ..even DIagon Alley ,if anything the prices seem to have increased.
    Thoughts ?
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    The best online price I've seen for Helm's Deep was when YoYo had a $40 coupon off their discounted price of $110. Amazon has had it below $100 multiple times; I'd be surprised if it doesn't fall below $100 at Amazon again before its EOL.
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    Walmart had some good sales on the modulars a couple months ago. I think GE was down to $90, TH $120 and I know DA and PS were also discounted though I don't remember how low. I don't think I'd count on that sale repeating itself though.
    edited December 2012
    I would say the IS being at 210 recently is probably about as low as it will go.
    Lets put it another way, if you really want one and it is due to 'retire soon' do you want to 'roll the dice' and hope for lower than its current 220 price tag at Amazon.com? Or hope that LEGO.com has it available if they have a After Christmas sale?
    edited December 2012
    ^Trouble is I already have one and I love it . So I am in the safe zone . I am simply tempted to get another one and maybe just store it away till I can find a use for it one day somewhere in the future.
    That is if there is a great deal on offer ' anything close to 199 and I will pull the trigger , at 220 I'm split... Opportunity cost ...pick something you don't have like DA or PS but no online discounts there ...either way money must be spilled !

I must confess I have received more than two dozen large boxes of Lego at my office in the last 30 days..my co- workers must think I'm going through a mid- life crises

.. My theory is that these bricks and their boxes are voodooed ... You simply want to buy everything and then times 2 ..what is a boy got to do ? :p

• CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    Last year Alien Conquest sets were discounted in after Christmas sales. Dino sets have been on the market same length of time. Do you think Dino will get clearanced to make way for all the new sets coming out? Seen some discounts but no clearance.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    ^ yes. Dino seems to be much scarcer already though.
  • neomonkeyneomonkey Member Posts: 82

Last year Alien Conquest sets were discounted in after Christmas sales. Dino sets have been on the market same length of time. Do you think Dino will get clearanced to make way for all the new sets coming out? Seen some discounts but no clearance.

The Dino sets are hard to find nowadays especially the big Dino HQ set.
    edited December 2012
    Vortex said:

Yes pretty good deals ,both of them. Unfortunately or fortunately I have them both , but I guess my real question is that do we see an Amazon wide dramatic fall in prices historically or the post christmas big price drops are only at the physical stores .

Well then buy more of them. These are the only sets that seem to resell for outragous prices! If thats what your in it for?

Vortex said:

Alright so any educated guesses if we have seen the lowest online prices of sets like the Imperial Shuttle ( $ 208) , Helm,s Deep @ 105 at Amazon etc , Do the pundits feel we are yet to see the lowest lows on these or is the only way upward from here?

Also I am a bit curious to know the reasons why we have not seen much anynreal price drops on modulars like Pet Shop and Grand EMporium at all ..even DIagon Alley ,if anything the prices seem to have increased.
    Thoughts ?

What are you serious? How much lower than $119 could they sell the pet shop for???

Oh I just saw they had the pet shop for $179 on Amazon. They raised the price cause its on backorder at Lego [email protected] and its Christmas.
  • gamecocksteeplegamecocksteeple Member Posts: 19
    Amazon didn't raise the price on pet shop. They are out of stock and the price listed is from a third party seller.
    madforLEGO
    edited December 2012
    By "they" I meant those selling on Amazon. Amazon of course represents these sellers on their site. Therefore, on Amazon, as of right now, the cost for the pet shop is $179+.
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    ^^^ I think the pet shops went down to $111, I got a few!
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited December 2012
    Talking sales in general and not in the US and not just Lego, I think the better sales are now throughout the year, I'm not expecting much directly after Christmas as I think there are a subset of customers who are happy paying retail most of the time. The only sales they wait for are the post Christmas and mid year. In Australia these are the traditional sale periods by all the big department and franchise stores, and they only need to have 25% off and people flock to them.

All the real bargain hunters are more aware of what the difference between a good deal and a great deal. The really good deals happen a month or so later when sale items can get put on clearance. One thing this year though is that all the stores seem to have relatively bare Lego isles a couple of weeks before Christmas as they have all had a sale of some sort going on. So there may be nothing left for clearance :(
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 351
    There seems to be two different types of Walmarts around me. The first type has definitely scaled back their Lego section from last year with nothing higher than $80 sets. This scaling back happened after the summer clearance during the reset for fall and resulted in a lot of large sets ($100) being clearanced at that time. Some of these stores had a lot of set just go missing one day from the sales floor and I thought that they might have put these sets in storage somewhere. My suspicions were confirmed today when I stopped in one of these and they had clearance toys all around the store. There were a lot of sets that were not included in the fall reset that they put out some of which were at clearance prices, some were full price. I picked up a POTC Mill for $20 and Olivia's house for $34.50 which is a great find. What I am getting at here is that even if the Lego section looks smaller, there may be some sets in storage that may find their way to the sales floor in the coming weeks.

The other type of store is the one that maintained their Lego section at the size it was last year. These still have the full range of sets including $100 sets even those that have been clearanced at other stores including Black Pearls and Dino HQ's. These will be the stores I check first after Christmas however these are the stores that are slow to mark down and as evidenced by the BP's may not ever do so. These are also some of the stores that I have found the best deals at. You just have to get lucky on your timing and be ready to buy when you see a good deal.
  • zjygkmattzjygkmatt Member Posts: 75
    Target has already started their clearance. Planet series 1 for 50% off, and more Etc. Go look now, and everyday they add more stuff.

Walmart however, Their shelves are just empty and ugly.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    I cant believe how many [email protected] sets are already sold out! I agree with the larger consesus here that LEGO will probably have a halfway decent showing and discount anything they can think will move fast and that they really want to get rid of to make room for new sets and themes coming up in 2013. As for amazon, they typically always fluctuate in price. If you take a look at the hobbit sets they were and are all cheaper than through [email protected] and yesterday they were off by an additional 20% so I think you can always get a good deal there. I hesitate with wal mart and target unless you can find a good deal. why pay sales tax or not get VIP Points? :)
  • thehockeyboythehockeyboy Member Posts: 97
    As a reseller, I couldn't be happier with target clearance BEFORE Christmas! With the discounts, I'm sure many parents are buying the Legos for their children for Christmas, while with the boxing day sales I feel majority of buyers are going to be resellers!
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    Amazon has actually had the Hobbit sets at as much as 28% off already. Picked up my Goblin King Battle for $71.93, Mirkwood Spiders for $21.70 and Attack of the Wargs for $36.97. Obviously the free shipping doesn't hurt, either.
  • bigjsdbigjsd Member Posts: 62
    I was in my local Walmart (Riverside, CA) yesterday and noticed that they were moving quite a bit of their Lego into an area that has traditionally been their clearance section. The prices had not yet been reduced but I would bet they will be after Christmas. The sets included a little bit of everything with the exception of Star Wars. What was surprising was it included sets from The Hobbit. The rest was LOTR, Ninjago, City, and some older Creator sets.
    Vortex
  • stegmancostegmanco Member Posts: 42
    Is $99 a good price on Dino HQ as my Walmart still has them and I never gave the theme a second thought till right now.
  • BlueMoonUSABlueMoonUSA Member Posts: 116
    I'm about to shell out for one too @ my local walmart. Had been holding off for a discount at some point, but they are pretty much out everywhere near me except this one store. At this point, I'm thinking $99 for that set is as good as it's going to get.
    edited December 2012
    ^^Good price in comparison to what? What you could have bought them for 3-4 months ago, no. What you could buy them for now online or anytime in the near future, yes. I'm pretty sure you won't see them lower than $100 again unless the few left out there get clearanced out.