Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How many figures makes an "army"?

mgsmgs Member Posts: 3
edited December 2012 in Everything else LEGO
Hi all! I am trying to assemble a sizeable army of romans and barbarian warriors. Just curious how many minifigures would you consider a small army? Is 5 a good number? :)

Comments

• 12651265 Member Posts: 945
    Depends on how you portray the army. Is there an opposing army?
  • mgsmgs Member Posts: 3
    i am trying to build a roman fort with roman soldier minifigs and future centurion figures. Currently got my hands on 3 roman soldiers and 5 highland battlers. Not sure if I should get more highland battlers or if 5 is a nice number lol. :/ Also series 6 figures are getting hard to find in stores.
  • LegoDad42LegoDad42 Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2012
    The minimum I think of 8 works for foot soldiers for each side.
    It's manageable and 8 looks good on a battle field as a decent sized fighting force. If you can add another element like a ballista or catapault to the armies and a horseman (leader) again for each side it'll look decent and fuller.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,242
    I'd say about this many is an "army"

LegoZombiesMasterLego
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 945
    ^^^
    Nice.....I'm betting on the three gladiators to squash that army.

It's an impressive build.
  • mgsmgs Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    oh wow, that diorama looks amazing! Too bad I dont have enough money to get so many lol. 8 sounds like a good number. Perhaps I'll get a few more Celtic warriors. I can use them to battle my knights too, pretty versatile! :)
  • indy1973indy1973 Member Posts: 70
    I agree with LegoDad42. If you have 8 infantry, plus one or two extra units like cavalry or artillery or leaders on each side, then it looks like a nice little formation, and if the troops stand in two rows of four, it creates the illusion that they are just one small cohort of a larger unseen army.

I think that TLG agrees. Generally, if you buy all the sets in a single wave, you will end up with about eight foot soldiers plus two special troops, like a knight and a king, for each side.

Plus, having 20 figures total makes a shelf-sized diorama look fully-populated!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,020
    edited December 2012
    I also go for eight as an absolute minimum (although usually 16 for more common minifigs), then add in multiples of four.

See this thread as well - similar subject is covered.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/139378/
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    I'm an army-builder myself, and I have 16 guys in each army. But I would agree somewhere around 8-10 you start to have an army that looks good in displays and dioramas and it is manageable to collect and equip with the best weapons, etc. possible.

To me, huge armies like the one pictured is too overwhelming. I can no longer enjoy the details. It just looks like a bunch of colorful plastic dots on a table. They loose their personality...
  • MasterLegoMasterLego Banned Posts: 38
    akunthita said:

I'm an army-builder myself, and I have 16 guys in each army. But I would agree somewhere around 8-10 you start to have an army that looks good in displays and dioramas and it is manageable to collect and equip with the best weapons, etc. possible.

To me, huge armies like the one pictured is too overwhelming. I can no longer enjoy the details. It just looks like a bunch of colorful plastic dots on a table. They loose their personality...

Still, it is amazing to see the effort that went into building 2 massive armies seen above in the picture.