Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Mindstorm NXT vs. Mindstorm NXT 2.0

SlyRaskalSlyRaskal Member Posts: 3
edited June 2011 in Building and Techniques
I currently own one of the Mindstorm NXT (#8527) sets. It's brand-new, haven't yet opened it, never had the chance I've been so busy with work and other stuff. :(

I'm thinking about taking it into work and getting together with my co-workers to start messing around with it and programming it to do whatever we can come up with. However, being that it's still new and not opened, I'm contemplating selling it so that I may purchase the 2.0 version (#8547).

Before I do this I thought I'd ask those that have experience with these sets if 1) there are any differences you are aware of that aren't listed in the descriptions of the products and 2) is purchasing the 2.0 version worthwhile considering it comes with 4 sensors instead of 3 and that it doesn't come with the touch and instead comes with a color sensor and finally if there are any improvements in the 2.0 version that make it a worthwhile purchase.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    I've only recently purchased the NXT 2.0 and don't own 1.0 so I can't speak from experience. But I should point out that both come with 4 sensors and the difference between the two sets in that regard are: light sensor (1.0) vs color sensor (2.0), 1 sound sensor + 1 touch sensor (1.0) vs 2 touch sensors (2.0).

Here is a link to an inventory comparison : http://static.robotclub.ab.ca/pages/nxt/InventoryComparison/nxt_1_vs_2.html

And here is a good blog entry someone wrote comparing the sets:
    http://thenxtstep.blogspot.com/2009/07/nxt-20-vs-original-nxt-which-one-to-buy.

I think the differences are nominal enough so that the determining factor may be if you can get enough for the NXT set so that buying 2.0 really is a wash. If you can't sell it for enough and have to spend a significant amount more, than you might have just been better off spending the difference on additional sensors. Remember to factor in seller fees if you're going to use eBay, Bricklink, PayPal, etc.
  • achillespdxachillespdx Member Posts: 106
    edited June 2011
    I currently own one of the Mindstorm NXT (#8527) sets. It's brand-new, haven't yet opened it, never had the chance I've been so busy with work and other stuff. :(

I'm thinking about taking it into work and getting together with my co-workers to start messing around with it and programming it to do whatever we can come up with. However, being that it's still new and not opened, I'm contemplating selling it so that I may purchase the 2.0 version (#8547).

Before I do this I thought I'd ask those that have experience with these sets if 1) there are any differences you are aware of that aren't listed in the descriptions of the products and 2) is purchasing the 2.0 version worthwhile considering it comes with 4 sensors instead of 3 and that it doesn't come with the touch and instead comes with a color sensor and finally if there are any improvements in the 2.0 version that make it a worthwhile purchase.

Any advice is appreciated.
    If you decide to keep the version 1.0, I know a guy who knows a guy who can get you the 2.0 software...
  • SlyRaskalSlyRaskal Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the information. Guess I didn't read the description for the 8527 as well as I had thought.

I think I'm gonna try to sell the set I have in hopes of having a little bit extra left over to put towards towards some more sensors.
  • TonyV5TonyV5 Member Posts: 14
    I have the NXT 1.0 and when the version 2.0 was released I asked LEGO if v1.0 owners could upgrade, or I could buy the new software but they declined, short sighted on their part as it was very quickly on the internet free to copy.
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    I have both versions (#8527 and #8547) and as soon as I bought 2.0 I upgraded my 1.0 firmware (the hardware is identical I believe). The firmware to do it is in the #8547 set itself.
  • achillespdxachillespdx Member Posts: 106
    I have the NXT 1.0 and when the version 2.0 was released I asked LEGO if v1.0 owners could upgrade, or I could buy the new software but they declined, short sighted on their part as it was very quickly on the internet free to copy.
    I have a 1.0 NXT as well and when 2.0 came out I asked them the same question and they basically said "go screw." So I sent an email about a week later to their "missing parts" department saying that my brand new 2.0 NXT set didn't come with the CD - they were happy to send along a "replacement" free of charge. :)