Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] EXPIRED: Amazon: Town Hall listed as a lightning deal on Amazon today

BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
edited December 2012 in Shopping USA/Canada
Coming up at 6 AM PST. Price unknown.

Comments

• brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    17% off. $149.
  • DavidRod8DavidRod8 Member Posts: 143
    It's moving very fast... either they don't have a lot of them, or many people are buying it... 43% claimed in the first 8 minutes... it's supposed to last 1 hour, but I doubt it'll last even 30 minutes
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    What continues to amaze me is how far apart various sets are in value.

This set has almost 3,000 parts. To be sold for $149, that is just over 5 cents a part. Compare that to Jabba's Palace which is 17 cents a part at RRP (about 14 cents at current prices).

Jabba's Palace, even at the current discount, is still triple the cost per part.

BTW, having picked up both the Town Hall and Jabba's Palace, it isn't that Town Hall is all small parts and Jabba's Palace is all huge parts, Jabba's box is rather light, the Town Hall box is heavy!

This is a screaming deal, all things considered.

It is way too early to be buying Town Halls for resale, but at this price, ok, I'll take 1. :)
    forgot to mention, don't forget to add the gund bear, it's free with any $75 purchase
    :) ^ Always... You wouldn't believe the pile of bears we have this year! :)
  • DeckerDecker Member Posts: 65
    I picked up my first Town Hall. I am pretty excited. I would have liked to get 1 or 2 more for that price but payday is not until tomorrow and I had to work with the funds I had available. Maybe I should not have bought all those Bank & Money transfers on clearance at Target yesterday.
    damn... I forgot the Gund Bear
    @LegoFanTexas I have seen the bears for sale on ebay... just saying... ;)
    @Decker There is a limit of one per deal, unless you sign up for a different account.
    @DavidRod8 thanks for the heads up.... thats good to know. First time I have ordered anything on a Lightning Deal.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,979

17% off. $149.

Uh. Isn't it really 25% off, since retail is $199 and not 179.99?

• Chang405Chang405 Member Posts: 88
    @tamamahm Yes, thats right.
  • wehrlibirdwehrlibird Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the heads up. Ordered!
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    is there a code for the bear? is it the 2012 gund amazon collectable?
    DavidRod8 said:

@LegoFanTexas I have seen the bears for sale on ebay... just saying... ;)

:)

Yep, however at $15 with free shipping, it hardly seems worth the trouble. They are too large to put into a bubble envelope, so boxed they'll cost $5-$10 to ship depending on where the buyer is.

They would make a great donation to Toys for Tots or the local Children's Hospital however. :)
  • RainingBoroSi02RainingBoroSi02 NCMember Posts: 59
    I was going to sit it out because I thought it retailed for 180, but I guess that was R2 I was thinking of. Liked the bear too.
    Only 68% claimed.

Only 68% claimed.

Wow, everyone must be dealed out! :)
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Thanks for the sales tip, I am in for one. 25% off a modular is my buying price point.

I was going to sit it out because I thought it retailed for 180, but I guess that was R2 I was thinking of. Liked the bear too.

Yep, 25% off for a Modular, plus a free bear, that is a pretty good deal.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,686
    Deal over, and only 67% claimed - you Yanks are spoiled.

:-)
    I'm very surprised it didn't sell out. Glad I got mine though... I haven't seen any legos in the deals this year, and was wondering if they were going to have any. Glad to see it was this one, as I have been holding out to buy.

I remember last year they had at least 2 good ones...
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    We all know this thing will be around for 5 or more years so what's the rush lol? TLG has really shot themselves in the foot with their strategy over the Fire Brigade. With these things seemingly available for half a decade or longer it really destroyed the collectibility of the entire line....all they need to do now is bring back Cafe Corner to completely kill their sales.
    Dougout
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    I think they will still sell well, even if they are not as collectible. The modular line is like the ultimate tool for bringing AFOLs back into the fold.

If anything, the early start time for the deal and the limit of one per account are the likely reasons for not selling out at the discount. I check the daily deals every morning and only found this one a half hour before it went live.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    There is no immediate rush to get this set but why not take advantage of a sale when the opportunity presents itself. Its been on my wish list for awhile but I can't click buy at $200. At $50 off, free shipping and a bear to boot, I'm not passing that up regardless of how long Town Hall will be available for. However if you are into reselling, than like LFT said, its still too early to stock up and take up space on this set. Taking advantage of a BOGO50 sale would be more advantagous.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    ^Exactly. I already have my copy and I don't like the idea of sitting on this for another 2+ years to go EOL. If I was in to giving people $150 gifts and I needed to find one, I would totally have jumped on this though.

We all know this thing will be around for 5 or more years so what's the rush lol? TLG has really shot themselves in the foot with their strategy over the Fire Brigade. With these things seemingly available for half a decade or longer it really destroyed the collectibility of the entire line....all they need to do now is bring back Cafe Corner to completely kill their sales.

As long as Lego is selling FBs, they are making a profit. Collectibility is nice and all but they don't see a dime for it.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Renny said:

There is no immediate rush to get this set but why not take advantage of a sale when the opportunity presents itself. Its been on my wish list for awhile but I can't click buy at $200. At $50 off, free shipping and a bear to boot, I'm not passing that up regardless of how long Town Hall will be available for. However if you are into reselling, than like LFT said, its still too early to stock up and take up space on this set. Taking advantage of a BOGO50 sale would be more advantagous.

Well unless you need to build it today then it would be advantageous to wait 5 years. In 5 years inflation would have knocked 20% off the price. Add a 25% sale then you are at 45% off in today's dollars. Of course if TLG starts indexing prices annually for inflation then now would be a good time to buy.

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    Decker said:

damn... I forgot the Gund Bear

@Decker: You can contact Amazon customer support and let them know you forgot to add the bear to your qualifying purchase. I've had success in the past getting them to retroactively add it for me.

As long as Lego is selling FBs, they are making a profit. Collectibility is nice and all but they don't see a dime for it.

That is a common misconception. Understandable, but it isn't true.

Beanie babies are a perfect example of what happens when you destroy the collectibility of a toy.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,220
    ARGH.. missed it, and they did not even sell out.
    edited December 2012
    ^^Legos will always be toys for me and that's why I will buy them.

• DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272

I respectfully disagree.

Some percentage of LEGO sets are sold specifically because the purchaser believes they are collectable and will see some appreciation in value. If TLG were to act in such a way as to damage the perception of collectability, then those purchasers would cease to buy those sets.

^^Legos will always be toys for me and that's why I will buy them.

And that is just fine. The Ty Corporation still makes Beanie Babies to this day, but clearly they are not what they once were, and they don't make nearly as many.

If you remove the adult collector from LEGO, you likely remove most of the $100+ sets as well, including the modulars.

Sure, LEGO would continue to exist, but not in its current form.

You don't have to be a collector, to be able to reap the benefits of having them exist, nor should you kid yourself of what you'd lose if they went away.

The toy industry is littered with the remains of companies that ignored this.
    madforLEGO
    edited December 2012

What continues to amaze me is how far apart various sets are in value.

This set has almost 3,000 parts. To be sold for $149, that is just over 5 cents a part. Compare that to Jabba's Palace which is 17 cents a part at RRP (about 14 cents at current prices).

Jabba's Palace, even at the current discount, is still triple the cost per part.

BTW, having picked up both the Town Hall and Jabba's Palace, it isn't that Town Hall is all small parts and Jabba's Palace is all huge parts, Jabba's box is rather light, the Town Hall box is heavy!

Sorry I'm off topic here, but I see price per piece discussions recurring so I'll mention it now.

First -- and I imagine you already know this -- but you're mixing the MSRP set by TLG and the discounted price offered by retailers. The former is going to be more uniform, while latter will vary widely.

So since you mention set value, let's restrict the discussion to the MSRP set by TLG.

We know that with everything else being equal, a licensed set is going to carry a premium over a non-licensed set because of the built-in cost of licensing.

Now the main thing I wanted to point out is that TLG's evaluates and assigns a production cost to each element of a set. The main determinants of production cost is the amount of plastic used and the "scarcity" of a piece. The latter is a factor of the color and mold. If it's a new mold, the piece naturally costs more to make. If it's from a lesser used mold or in a lesser used color, there is a cost to swap in the mold or color and do a production run of it.

To calculate the amount of plastic in a set, weight is and always has been a better way to correlate the prices that TLG established for sets.

But because pieces were less specialized in the 1980's and 1990's, the cost of elements were less divergent. Thus "# of pieces" could reasonably be used, and was certainly more convenient than weighing a set since the piece count was listed. So you could compare the piece counts of a space set with a similarly priced town set and more correctly gauge which was giving you more "value". But, by that same token, you almost didn't have to because there weren't many significant outliers from the ratio other than motorized sets or boats with large hull pieces.

In this day and age of licensed themes and specialized elements, price per piece is an outdated measure of establishing whether a set is a good value relative to other sets.

So, bringing it back to the comparison of Jabba's Palace and Town Hall, if you compare the sets by weight, Bricklink lists them at 1863 grams and 3825 grams respectively. For simplicity, let's say Jabba's Palace is half the weight (has half the plastic) that Town Hall does. It probably is quite close because the Town Hall manuals weigh more. So by this new measure we should expect Jabba's Palace to be half the cost of Town Hall. Now factoring in the unique elements that Jabba's Palace has with completely new molds (lots!) and the Star Wars license vs. no new molds and no license for Town Hall, we can logically expect Jabba's Palace to cost more than half of Town Hall, despite being half the weight.

$120 vs $200 looks about right now, doesn't it?
    Dougoutsadowsk1
    ^ That would all be true, if I was in the plastic buying business. :)

But since I'm in the "have fun putting LEGO bricks together business", the part count does matter.

I get the arguement for plastic, I've made it myself relating to DS vs 4x MMV and peice count. 1 DS is heavier than 4x MMV, but 4x MMV has a LOT more parts in it.

What is worth more? What do you want to build?

I suspect that I could build a pair of Jabba's Palaces in less time than it would take to build a single Town Hall.

There is something to be said for "time it takes to put parts together, thus value is created". You could make them all out of half the number of parts, and probably spend less to make it thus charging less. But if they took 5 minutes to put together, who would care?

A single Town Hall has more than 3x the parts in Jabba's Palace. Yes, I understand the minifigs, and licence, but I really don't think the license is as expensive as everyone seems to think it is. Look at #9515 - That set is about the same weight as Jabba's (a bit less actually) but it has 375 more parts. They must all be small! :)
    ^ I guess that goes back to what I was saying about you mixing logic.

You often talk about a set as being "overpriced" and relate it to pieces in a set. I don't think you were talking about how long it takes to build, or how fun the set is to build. I'm pretty sure you were talking about the price set by LEGO.

It would truly be difficult to price items by fun, wouldn't it? Super bouncy balls in vending machines would have to start taking bills instead of coins.
    sadowsk1
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I always love seeing where these threads go.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Better get back on topic before @madforlegos gets upset :P
    Dougout
    rocao said:

Now you're calling me a girl? Those are fightn' words! :)
    rocao said:

It would truly be difficult to price items by fun, wouldn't it? Super bouncy balls in vending machines would have to start taking bills instead of coins.

Best post of the day! :)
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    rocao said:

You often talk about a set as being "overpriced" and relate it to pieces in a set. I don't think you were talking about how long it takes to build, or how fun the set is to build. I'm pretty sure you were talking about the price set by LEGO.

Plus, the 'fun' factor and build time factor are completely subjective. Some people may prefer a shorter, simpler build. And what's 'fun' for one isn't the same for another. I personally don't factor in build time or build complexity when I value a set. That's irrelevant to me.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,979
    Now you're calling me a girl? Those are fightn' words! :)

*cough*
    BrickDancerherekittykitty
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Bandit said:

rocao said:

Plus, the 'fun' factor and build time factor are completely subjective. Some people may prefer a shorter, simpler build. And what's 'fun' for one isn't the same for another. I personally don't factor in build time or build complexity when I value a set. That's irrelevant to me.

Modulars are fun to build, but in the end it's a dollhouse. I don't play or handle them like I might a ship. Not surprisingly the most value I get out of a set is the one that I don't display and instead use the bricks from to build my own MOCs. In that case it woud be the log cabin and interestingly enough the architecture sets.
  • BrianBrian Guest Posts: 87
    edited December 2012
    Aaargh! Missed again like the Target SSD.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    ^Me too, it would have been nice to grab one as a Christmas present for someone. The discount would have made it easier to give away.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Dougout said:

^Me too, it would have been nice to grab one as a Christmas present for someone. The discount would have made it easier to give away.

You give away $150 Christmas presents? I might spend that much on my wife and kids but not just "someone".
  • mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    Missed it!! Maybe it will come up again around/just after Christmas!
    mdelleman said:

Missed it!! Maybe it will come up again around/just after Christmas!

What are you people doing on Thursday morning? Working or something? :)
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    I think both @rocao and @LegoFanTexas raise some good points about the "value" of Lego.

One thing I would almost be certain of thought is that at TLG there is a group of people who sit down with all the data about the things @rocao mentioned so they can see what it actually cost them to produce a set, then they would still ask "what price point can we sell this particular set at?" And that will vary set to set, even if cost of production is the same for two different sets.

Back on topic, I wish I could have picked a Town Hall up for $150. :(