Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Lone Ranger

The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
edited December 2012 in Collecting
Anyone thinking Train set, after watching this Preview?

LegoPodcaster

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,161
    Almost would have to be, wouldn't there? Seems the entire plot revolves around trains and Lego would never pass up a chance at a vehicle set to make. Surely this means they will retire one or more of the current trains by then with the HE also coming out next year.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    It looks like they could do something like the Toy Story train - a steam loco, different cabins / cabooses / box vans, but perhaps in a darker more traditional Western style rather than the colourful toy version.

That one is already retired and (almost) gone, but don't disagree it would still leave them with a train heavy line-up.

The preview suggests a traditional "saloon" too, and some more black horses like the ringwraiths.
  • SpiderManSpiderMan Member Posts: 47
    I was initially going to say it doesn't even look like a movie LEGO would be interested in making sets for, and then I saw Johnny Depp with his face all painted up and that remembered Pirates of the Caribbean which is also made by Disney, which has become a big source of recent LEGO themes, and decided this is right up TLG's alley.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited October 2012

Almost would have to be, wouldn't there? Seems the entire plot revolves around trains and Lego would never pass up a chance at a vehicle set to make. Surely this means they will retire one or more of the current trains by then with the HE also coming out next year.

I thought you were talking about the Hogwarts Express then, until I realised what you meant. Nearly drew a tear... Sorry, I know I'm very strange and going miles off topic! :o)

Looks a bit dark and dismal for Lego, particularly after that really bright TS Train, but thinking about it it does seem appropriate as the next licence for TLG.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2012
    The Monster Fighters also has a similar train (in that is more steam based looking), but I can't see how they could make Lone Ranger movie sets without doing some kind of Train set. So guess it's just a lucky year for train fans.

I can see this theme being more on the scale of PoP than PotC though. PotC had 4 films to draw on, whereas I can see most of the Lone Ranger film covering the same horse fight/saloon fight/train fight ground so not masses of material to make sets from.

I guess we can also expect to see Johnny Depp (definately) and Helena Bonham Carter (probably) enter the '2 minifigs' club.
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    I know it's been brought up before, but I really hope that this theme doesn't kill the Cuusoo modular western town from being produced.
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 407
    edited October 2012
    I know I keep saying it, but I really want a Pixar theme next year.
  • OndraOndra Member Posts: 74
    Yes, there will be train set as flagship http://www.brickset.com/search/?query=lone ranger .
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    T_Lars said:

I know it's been brought up before, but I really hope that this theme doesn't kill the Cuusoo modular western town from being produced.

it will. or at least delay it.

(i have no inside knowledge, this is my postulation)

of course they want tell us one way or the other. we will just be told western town is denied or approved but not slotted to production yet, not anything as to why that would directly tie back to LR

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ some of the set names sound promising at least. we'll see...
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,410
    I don't know about trains, but I do all of a sudden feel an urge to get some charcoal , talc powder, and go paint my face.

And indeed as this is a Disney movie like PoP and the PotC series, we might very well end up seeing this become the next 'Disney Lego theme', which might be wonderful news to all the Lego fans dying to see an other Western theme!?
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    Ondra said:

Yes, there will be train set as flagship http://www.brickset.com/search/?query=lone ranger .

I wonder if it will be a real "train set" - including tracks?
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    I'm just amazed that Jerry Bruckheimer is still going.

Very pleased about the 'grittiness' of this trailer. Bodes well for the sets; if LEGO were just making their own Western theme I guess it would not be as 'dark' or realistic in colour palette as this (hopefully) will be.

A set which launches the train engine off the tracks and sliding sideways along the ground would be cool ;O)
    Dougout
  • legobulder9001legobulder9001 Member Posts: 5
    I would enjoy this, we've been in need of a new cowboy theme.
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515

... and Lego would never pass up a chance at a vehicle set to make.

I'm still disappointed that the circus train scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was never made into a LEGO set. Seems like it would have been a great fit had that line lasted longer.

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^I think the issue with the circus train would have been that they couldn't have included any of the 'main' characters outside of young Indy, though I don't recall precisely how minifig-centric the company was as a whole at that point. I have to assume 'not very,' as I never got the Sallah I was hoping for. With a little luck, he'll be included in the Mark VII that I'm sure they're just waiting to launch as a super special surprise for me.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited December 2012
    ^^ Octopussy circus train would be awesome too. lol.

Perhaps I'll have a go at mocing it.
    Redbullgivesuwind
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    Looks like a pretty "dark" movie to be making toys for. After all I know all us oldies collect lego too but remember that legos are toys. But then again they made legos for the Pirates movies. Though that series got rather dark too.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,312
    And LOTR is not exactly light entertainment.
    Redbullgivesuwind
    ^^^^ Ya thats true :->. Come to think of it the last 3 Harry Potter flix were pretty intense for children too.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    the other example were the Dark Knight sets and the whole Batman line in general, meh I might wait until we have proper LEGO western
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    The new Arkham asylum set definitely gives off a very dark vibe to me: cells, broken glass, stretcher with the straps/cage to hold down the patient, "operating table" and medical implements ... shudder.
    ^^^^Yes it does. I really like that set. I may get it and put it in the background on my layout.
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,322
  • mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    I'm excited to see the sets they have come up with!!
  • BrixyBrixy United statesMember Posts: 57
    Can't wait. Thanks!
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,248
    The Tonto minifig looks like it'll be awesome.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,183
    Pretty cool!
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    First siting of the new horse in White?
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    That skull at the bottom left looks awesome! And it looks like they'll be bringing back the gold bars from PotC, hopefully they're still chrome!
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,900
    yys4u said:

That skull at the bottom left looks awesome! And it looks like they'll be bringing back the gold bars from PotC, hopefully they're still chrome!

I'm going to hazard a guess at no. Pearl gold seemed to be the standard following the PotC confusion.

Looks like Tonto has the tomahawk we saw with those possible series 10/11 CMFs, and possibly a new revolver mould for the Lone Ranger?

• DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Wow! This theme looks promising. Cool figs and pieces, new train, western sets! Wasn't planning on getting into any more themes, but this one has caught my eye.
    Legoboy
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    ^ I'm no different. :-(
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,161
    If there is a cheap set with the longhorn skull in it I am in just for that.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Looks cool, but I can only keep thinking that this is another 'one and done' set, without a universe of vehicles to draw kids in.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    ^ pretty much guaranteed, unless there is a sequel. Think Prince Of Persia & Speed Racer.
    Oldfan
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,848
    andhe said:

yys4u said:

I'm going to hazard a guess at no. Pearl gold seemed to be the standard following the PotC confusion.

Looks like Tonto has the tomahawk we saw with those possible series 10/11 CMFs, and possibly a new revolver mould for the Lone Ranger?

I thought I remembered that later production runs of the PotC sets used Metallized Gold (Chrome Gold), and the only reason the earliest runs used Warm Gold (Pearl Gold) was that they didn't have enough of the chrome material to produce enough sets for the theme's launch, and couldn't delay production without also delaying the release. If that's the case, then there really shouldn't be a problem-- Metallized Gold is still on TLG's color palette, after all, and is appearing in the LotR and The Hobbit themes without any issues.
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    Love it.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,469
    The rope that holds the two bandits is the coolest part imo.
  • OjikOjik Member Posts: 53
    oldtodd33 said:

The rope that holds the two bandits is the coolest part imo.

Are you sure it is a part and not only a digital rendered element?

^ It looks like molded plastic to me.
    Ok maybe not Lego related but why is tonto all painted up and a spinoff of Jack Sparrow???? Ok I remember the original Lone Ranger and Tonto was a soft spoken American Indian. Guess that would not sell nowdays???
  • leego76leego76 Chandlers FordMember Posts: 360
    ^ Because Johnny Depp will be playing the same character AGAIN??
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high until pics of the sets surface. With that being said I think that this line could be pretty darn cool!
    oldtodd33 said:

^ It looks like molded plastic to me.

If it is an actual part, it's great. But I doubt. Anyway, I'm excited about all of these new (whether totally or quite) parts: cow skull, golden bars, bag, new colts - this is something that had to be modernized and I wouldn't be suprised at all if it replaced the contemporary one like the new horse did. Same with the cowboy hat, and it seems there may be a new mould, really cowboy one, not the Indy's fedora that's not suitable.

I would say that The Lone Rangers hat is new and the bandits hats look like cmf bandit hats to me.
    Same here. I hope the white is a new mould, we just need it! And bandit's are fedoras.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,546
    My Dad liked the Lone Ranger when he was growing up, he is 70.
    Now, how many kids really know about Lone Ranger? I'm sure there are a few, but the majority are not going to know who this is, and the cowboy genre is on life support anyway.
    I just do not see the appeal to the Lone Ranger at this time in society, where you have a 'grittier' market for super hero and comic movies, and I seriously doubt that Disney is going to make Lone Ranger 'grittier'.. especially if you have Depp performing what will most likely be a Sparrow type of character.

Prince of Persia, as others have noted, is a great example. Many kids did not get that either (obviously seeing LEGO constant clearance of that line and many sets STILL did not sell out. I think that line sold more to AFOLs that needed parts) and it really was based off of a video game that came out in the later 80's early 90's.

I just think that Lone Ranger is about 15-20 years too late.
    The 90's were really a more fanciful period before the events on 9/11, which really caused a more serious tone with live action 'heroes' IMO.
    StuBoy
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    The cow skull has evolved a bit during the last four years (see this one)
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    I really hope the constitution train chase is really a train set with another steam engine for us. If indeed TLG is making another engine, it would have to be in that one big set.

Fingers crossed...