Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Legends of Chima

2»

Comments

• CombeeCombee Billund, DenmarkMember Posts: 19

What they really need with this, IMO, is a cartoon series. If they have a story line and it's good, it would do quite a bit to explain what's going on and create more of a desire for the sets. Without that, I can't imagine my kids (or me) looking forward to it.

All signs point to a Chima cartoon series replacing the Ninjago show when it ends.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,915
    Chima will definitely have a decent storyline IMO. We've gotten hints that Greg Farshtey, editor-in-chief of the LEGO Magazines and author of the BIONICLE, Hero Factory, and Ninjago comics and chapter books, will be writing stories for the Chima theme (he and publishers just identify any upcoming books as "for a new 2013 theme" but we don't know of any other high-profile ones at this point). As for a television series, we know there's one in the works based on a new theme, and Chima seems like the only logical fit since it's essentially aiming to fill the same role as Ninjago in a lot of ways. Now, it's hard to say for certain whether AFOLs will get much enjoyment out of Chima's story, but there seems to be the potential for it.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    It's a bird minifig. How the heck can you tell whether its male or female? Couldn't it be whichever the kid wants it to be?
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 789
    dougts said:

It's a bird minifig. How the heck can you tell whether its male or female? Couldn't it be whichever the kid wants it to be?

She has a female figure design. Not to mention eyelashes. Also on her set name in the Database, it says Eri's rather than Eris.

Penkid11 said:

dougts said:

She has a female figure design. Not to mention eyelashes. Also on her set name in the Database, it says Eri's rather than Eris.
    That's true, but I've seen lots of other databases that say Eris. Until I see the name in English somewhere from a person selling the set, I'm sticking with that, and if it turns out I'm wrong, I can just begin using the correct name, just like I'll have to do with Chima IRL if it turns out I'm pronouncing it wrong.

Also it turns out the other (male) eagle person is named Equila and not Eglor. Eglor is a different fig with an Earth Blue "helmet" rather than a white one.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    Penkid11 said:

dougts said:

Ditto Penkid11. The eyes and eyelashes, are standard Lego female. The outfit looks more female from a distance as well. My daughter draws a ton of drawing, and very subtle items can make a difference between drawing female/male.

In regards to a show, I assume they will have one. I think after Ninjago went through the roof, they would just be out of their minds not to have a show for Chima.
    The Chima teaser site has updated. Not only that, but the images for future weeks have been uploaded to cache.LEGO.com. My brother Meiko has all the images in this post, where he also confirms that the Chima theme is planned for at least two years.

The images that interest me in particular are the third, which hints at Chima constraction (constructable action figure) sets using the Hero Factory Character and Creature Building System, and the fifth, which is our first pictorial evidence of the gorilla clan mentioned here (check that post for other story tidbits I found at toy.ru).

The constraction sets were rumored but I feel a lot of people had dismissed that rumor after we got more information about the sets and saw no further mention of them. But this suggests they will be released, and if so I look forward to seeing what great parts and colors they offer for Hero Factory MOCs. Certainly they would explain Hero Factory's shift in 2013 from using bright colors almost exclusively to using darker colors and earth tones for many of the villain sets.

There's always the possibility that the gorilla clan was purely preliminary and won't be appearing in any sets (it's not entirely clear how finalized the info I foundon toy.ru was), but overall the lack of a third "good" clan makes me think they might be making an appearance in a future wave.
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,364
    Normal sets:

70007 Eglor's Twin Bike
    70008 Gorzan's Gorilla Striker
    70009 Worriz's Combat Lair
    70010 The Lion Chi Temple
    70014 The Croc Swamp Hideout

Speedorz:

70107 Skunk Attack
    70108 Royal Roost
    70109 Whirling Vines
    70110 Tower Target
    70111 Swamp Jump
    70112 Croc Jump
    70114 Sky Joust

Ultrabuilds/Constraction Figures:

70200 Laval
    70201 Eris
    70202 Gorzan
    70203 Cragger
    70204 Worriz
    70205 Razar

-Sci
    edited December 2012
    This wave seems so much smaller than the winter wave, however I am finally going to be getting myself some constraction figures for once. Looking forward to this wave as much as the first, ESPECIALLY with the Lion Temple and the Croc Hideout!

It's funny how @Huw was off in the set total by only 1. A total of 37!
    Skunk Attack interests me. I doubt there's a "skunk clan", since that'd be pretty silly, so the other possibilities are a) this list is translated from another language, and something was lost in translation, b) the set will have brick-built skunks, or c) there will be a skunk in the Friends theme and this set will reuse those (albeit hopefully with different face printing).

If it is a Friends animal, I'll be quite happy with that. I love me some skunks.

70200-70205 are nice to know. Seems that there will be one constraction set from each clan. Very glad that Eris is getting a constraction set, and hopefully she will look at least marginally feminine (shouldn't be impossible; I've seen HF parts used to make nice female MOCs in the past-- though it'll be a real surprise if she has the same hourglass figure in the constraction set as in her minifigure incarnation).

The Lion Chi Temple and The Croc Swamp Hideout both sound interesting... hard to tell at this point if they're standard model sets or Speedorz sets like the Eagle Castle, but either way here's hoping for some great scenery.

And @Penkid11, it's normal for summer waves to be smaller than winter waves. It was like that for both 2011 and 2012 Ninjago. It seems like the policy tends to be to release a winter wave with a large number of sets at various price ranges, then to release a summer wave with a smaller number of sets that tend towards higher prices.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,867
    edited December 2012
    That's the same list that I populated the database with last night :-)

^^ I had prior information, that's why, but clearly I miscounted :)
    edited December 2012
    @Aanchir
    I know, it's just that it feels small. It looks like it will be bigger than Ninjago 2012's summer wave though.

@Huw
    Prior information, eh? Is there something else you would like to share?...
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,867
    Not at the moment :-)
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,364
    @Huw

Where'd you get this stuff? :P
  • StyerStyer Huntington, WV, USAMember Posts: 73

In case anyone wants to see it in all its ugliness ..

I actually kind of like the ship's hull in that color, but I don't care all that much for anything else in that model.
  • StyerStyer Huntington, WV, USAMember Posts: 73
    Penkid11 said:

Also on her set name in the Database, it says Eri's rather than Eris.

"Eris" is the name of a Greek goddess, so the character's being named "Eris" isn't necessarily a point against the character being female.
  • TormentalousTormentalous Member Posts: 4
    First image of the Ultrabuilds have been posted by Bionifigs.com thebrickfan.com/lego-legends-of-chima-action-figures-first-look/

First image of the Ultrabuilds have been posted by Bionifigs.com thebrickfan.com/lego-legends-of-chima-action-figures-first-look/

Looking pretty decent. Not really liking what's going on with Laval's knees (probably meant to suggest digitigrade legs, but the proportions are wonky and don't really work well with that build for the feet), but overall these have some nice part use and great pieces. Can't wait to see the other four. Hopefully we will see more of the great unreleased HF elements from this picture.

On a side note, I am almost certain the new large wing elements from the Eagle and Raven vehicles will be a key component of the Eris and Razar constraction sets. Just looking at them they scream "constraction" to me (when they're not screaming "potential steampunk glider wings", that is), and hopefully they might be assembled into nice-looking articulated wings so we have an alternative to one-piece wings or spindly skeletal wing constructions like are so common in BIONICLE and Hero Factory sets and MOCs.
    Huh, just realized there seem to be two Chima topics running concurrently. Anyway, figured I should share that high-resolution Chima pics are up on cache.LEGO.com, including the Eagle's Castle set. Links to all the pics here and here (would just repost all the links here, but that's a lot to convert from BBCode to HTML).

The Eagle's Castle set has a Chi crystal in Warm Gold, which is pretty awesome.
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 831
    edited December 2012
    Aanchir said:

Huh, just realized there seem to be two Chima topics running concurrently. *snip

I believe there is 2 topics which one of which is mine http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/6641/legends-of-chima#latest
    I started this thread a month before this one so I don't mind if they both get merged together
    (Both topics have the same title) :-)
  • wertyjjwertyjj Member Posts: 64
    Does Huw have a Cuusoo account?
  • MaskieBoyMaskieBoy Member Posts: 25
    Penkid11 said:

She has a female figure design. Not to mention eyelashes.

I am a male and I have eyelashes.
    kez
  • bor2112bor2112 Member Posts: 289
    Up on Shop at Home U.S. with Jan 1 release date
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    Legends of Chima Cartoon: The ad for it was at the end of the final Ninjago episode of the season, which said it was coming in 2013, but no other specific date.
    Also, the narrator said "Cheema", so that should put the pronunciation question to rest.
  • UnakiUnaki Member Posts: 9
    Now that we know Ninjago is definitely not being completely phased out in favor of Chima what are your thoughts on the Chima line? I personally got a little more excited than I thought I would for the stuff when I read the LEGO club comic and will definitely give the show a thought.

I am not sure about the current sets they have though. The minifigs feel fantastic and have a lot more unique qualities with their designs but overall the current sets just feel slightly underwhelming. I got to build a Cragger's ship 70006 with my cousin and it was interesting to build though it definitely felt a little lackluster and was built quicker than most sets with that many pieces. I bought the Eagle Interceptor 70003 for myself and while the design is really fun looking it just felt a little "meh" when building it. Maybe its because the series is new and the show hasn't started and other vehicles and buildings haven't been revealed yet. I definitely will give it a chance because the show at the very least looks like a lot of fun.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    I just got my son some Speedorz for his birthday next weekend. I am interested to see how well they perform. I don't care much for the land vehicles, but I'm also not in elementary school. 70006 has some fantastic parts for sure. What will make or break the line for me will be the clans' bases: there is some incredible potential there for some impressive 1000 piece sets loaded with great colors and nature-y parts. I'm really crossing my fingers that TLG delivers.
  • ThisIsMyCupThisIsMyCup Member Posts: 156
    just found #30253 at TRU for 4.99, first chima poly ive seen
    Dantos
  • cwhlscwhls Member Posts: 11
    @brickarmor we have two speedorz so far, set 70115, and my son is loving them. I have to admit I have enjoyed playing with them too! We have built some extra ramps and make up our own games for them and are looking forward to get a few more speedorz sets. A great set for playability! It's only been a week or so but they are holding up well so far.
    Dantos
  • Gold_StarburstGold_Starburst Member Posts: 4
    Shame there's no bunny characters in Chima. Would have been nice to be able use some parts to make a Usagi Yojimbo minifigure to go with the Ninja Turtale minifigs.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Mark Stafford spoke about the development of Chima yesterday - I made some notes here.
    http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=5513
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    Thanks for mentioning it @caperberry. I have "Events, Australia" turned off on my news feed, so missed your commentary.
  • UnakiUnaki Member Posts: 9

Shame there's no bunny characters in Chima. Would have been nice to be able use some parts to make a Usagi Yojimbo minifigure to go with the Ninja Turtale minifigs.

Well Chima is just starting. We only know of 2 species that are good and 3 that are evil. Maybe the next wave will give us some more allies for the eagles and lions. Don't be disappointed until Chima runs its course :3

Bunnies might be too gender non-neutral... Now foxes, I could see that. Mix in some Aesopian motifs to impress the parents, good stuff.
    Unaki said:

Well Chima is just starting. We only know of 2 species that are good and 3 that are evil. Maybe the next wave will give us some more allies for the eagles and lions. Don't be disappointed until Chima runs its course :3

Well, no that is not entirely true. The sides are even. Lions, Eagles, and Gorillas are good. Crocodiles, Ravens and Wolves are bad. There are still more tribes though. Bears, Rhinos, and Skunks are at the moment, neutral in the show.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402

70006 on sale at amazon.com for 57.25 28% off RRP!
    So there are photos of the Gorillas out and about. Anybody seen them?
    edited January 2013

So there are photos of the Gorillas out and about. Anybody seen them?

Here you go. The Gorilla Striker is wonderfully silly; I'm quite impressed that focus groups didn't demand something more serious. This is pure FabuForce gold right here. =P
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Aanchir said:

Here you go. The Gorilla Striker is wonderfully silly; I'm quite impressed that focus groups didn't demand something more serious. This is pure FabuForce gold right here. =P

Banana ammo chain, hm. The "nostrils" are fantastic.

Chi Temple is indeed much larger than the first photos indicated. Foxes and Skunks look spectacular. And FIVE models in Worriz's Combat Lair?!? That will be quite a sight. Also, having watched the shows (with my son...of course...ahem) the Croc Boat is shown with tank treads ala Ultra Sonic Raider: I wonder if there will be an "expansion pack" to modify it. It would seem pretty easy to take the side boats off and change them in and out.
    The Croc tank is an entirely seperate entity. The Croc boat is typically seen briefly at the beginning of scenes taking place near the Croc Lair.