Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Pick A Brick (PAB) inventory by Lego store location

madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,788
edited June 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
I know this can be problematic, but is there any databases online that list what Lego store has what selection for their pick a brick?
Just wondering, because I am (very) fortunate enough to have 4 Lego stores roughly in my Area (Chicago region) and I go to only one of them (due to the mileage) but I was wondering if it is worth it to try to hit up the other stores or not....

Comments

• prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    edited July 2011
    Since I was there last week, I was tempted to update the Orland Park listing but as I didn't pay much attention to the PAB wall I simply added the one I clearly remember (1x2 trans plate) seeing. There were other bricks, wheels, etc. but I didn't look at them closely enough to be certain exactly which ones they were.

However, I could tell you exactly what they have in the minifigure builder bar though one of the employees said they'll soon be adding some new selection to that including a couple more Series 1 minifigure parts (specifically the cheerleader and also possibly the zombie and magician though he wasn't certain about the last two).
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 793
    Brickbuildr is an amazing site. I have used it to see what items are on the PaB walls in the NY LEGO Stores several times. I have also updated the inventories for these stores a few times each. Each store should have at least 1 dedicated fan to take inventory of the walls to benefit the community as a whole. It takes less than 15 minutes to take stock of each wall and about 30 minutes to update this info online. Amazing site and one that needs the input of fans to keep the info current.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    It's a really good idea in principle, but I think it's probably too difficult to keep current. And I imagine that there are others besides me that don't know all the correct part and/or color names. I remember when I thought the Maersk sets and the Town Plan cinema were the same color. Oh did I receive a good mocking. :o)
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 793
    You have to start somewhere and I think brickbuildr is a great start. Unless LEGO comes up with a better idea the fan community is going to need to help each other out. Brickbuildr is capable of being the answer for us as long as we put the effort in. I do agree that it Is difficult to keep current but if this was done for each store then us fans could arrange trades of Pick a Brick cups, call stores to have PaB cups sent to us via mail, not waste trips to far away LEGO stores because there is nothing on the wall you want, etc.

I am not saying brickbuildr is perfect but it is a worthwhile idea and it is well thought out.
    I think I would be more on board if we were talking current stock levels on sets and expanded it to include Target, Walmart, and TRU. That would definitely save me a ton of wasted trips.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,788
    edited July 2011
    Thanks everyone...
    I was at the Woodfield one on Saturday and they had some nice house building materials (Like 1 x 2 x5 and 1x5x6 white panels as well as slopes for roofing and also the 1 x 2 bricks in grey and brown that look like logs -not sure what they are called exactly- and 4x4 Green Plates in a cup at the cup dispenser)...
    Among lots of others.. :-)

The Cheerleader and skateboarder from Series 1 would not surprise me (since they are in the new Calendar set)
    But the Zombie? Not sure as I am guessing they are trying to gear Build a fig to kids, not collectors, and I cannot see them doing Zombies in there.. It does not hurt to dream though :-)
    edited July 2011
    But the Zombie? Not sure as I am guessing they are trying to gear Build a fig to kids, not collectors, and I cannot see them doing Zombies in there.
    How would zombies appeal to collectors but not kids? They had the forestman and clown parts in the Build-a-Minifigure bar. Those are from Series 1 as well.

I'm an adult collector and I have zero interest in the zombie. It's my least favorite of all the figures so far and by that I mean all 80, from Series 1 through Series 5.
    I have zero interest in the zombie. It's my least favorite of all the figures so far and by that I mean all 80, from Series 1 through Series 5
    Seriously? Even behind the Crash Test Dummy and S3 Alien?!?! :o)

^^ My point was that most kids are not looking for zombies in a build a fig box...
    Ergo, Lego would probably not want to invest in putting in massive amounts of zombie parts that would never be used, or used little.

Im guessing they thought that Clowns and robin hood guys however would probably be more purchased (as well as the cheerleader and skateboarder)

and they are right.. I purchased 3 clowns the other day (but had to ask them if they had anymore clown legs as it appeared that they were out of them in the build a figs display.. which is weird to be honest...who is thinking " I need lots of multi-colored hobo pants...."..lol

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,520
    ^ children
    Your logic doesn't hold up. There were also skulls in the Build-a-Minifigure bar as well as mermaid tails so why not zombies? The argument that clowns would be more purchased than zombies doesn't really make sense given that the zombie is one of the most desired figures of Series 1. As you said, who would think that clown pants would be heavily-desired enough to include them and yet they did.

As for the Series 1 Crash Test Dummy, I like him more than the zombie. Same goes for the alien from Series 3. Just about nothing is of less interest to me than zombies be it in minifigures, movies, television or literature. If they include zombies, my interest in them instantly drops to nil. There are some quasi-zombie concepts which are ok to me such as the Borg but ultimately that's because they're not really zombies; there's more to the concept than the assanine notion of walking dead.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,061
    edited July 2011
    Do they really put that much thought into the build a minifig bins? I just figured it was whatever they had a ton of lying around. Seen some people score some really random/surprising stuff on Flickr.
    ^^ So.... you are arguing that while they should include zombies because they are desirable... you would not buy them?
    Sure they had skulls, but how popular were they?? I mean even if they had full skeletons and sold well (which I'm guessing that they(skulls) really did not) those are not as grim as a zombie being in the build a fig... Mermaid tails and torsos are whimsical and part of fantasy but not again as 'grim' as a zombie IMO..

I mean when you say 'desired' I doubt kids, at least ones that would be using Build a fig to just build figs, not to sell on eBay or BL but who want to build figs, would want them..... Regardless of how 'desired' they are from Series 1.
    I am pretty sure most kids are not at the build a fig displays wondering how much they can get for a figure on eBay.
    My guess is that if anything Lego held one of their test groups and asked what minifgi parts would kids like to see in the Build a fig and selected based on that.

The crash test dummy makes more sense for the Build a fig, even the cheerleader.. since they will have quantity of those as they are making them for the calendar... Just like the clown and Robin hood... whimsical characters that kids would more likely want to build figures with...

edited July 2011
    ^^ So.... you are arguing that while they should include zombies because they are desirable... you would not buy them?
    I'm not arguing that they should be included. The clerk at one of the Lego stores I visited said that they'll be getting cheerleaders, zombies and magicians soon. What I personally think of the zombie does not change his statement.
    Sure they had skulls, but how popular were they?? I mean even if they had full skeletons and sold well (which I'm guessing that they(skulls) really did not) those are not as grim as a zombie being in the build a fig... Mermaid tails and torsos are whimsical and part of fantasy but not again as 'grim' as a zombie IMO..
    The skulls appear to have sold quite well since, like the mermaid tails and a few other pieces (a torso or two, some hats and helmets and a hairpiece or two) they were outnumbered dramatically by the other pieces remaining (countless pirate heads for example).
    I doubt kids...would want them....
    I am pretty sure most kids are not at the build a fig displays wondering how much they can get for a figure on eBay.
    Who said anything about eBay or Bricklink? People who collect the minifigures and didn't get Series 1 during its very brief run would find it a good way to finally obtain one. Kids like zombies as much as they like anything else like clown pants and hair or a mermaid tail.
    The crash test dummy makes more sense for the Build a fig, even the cheerleader.. since they will have quantity of those as they are making them for the calendar... Just like the clown and Robin hood... whimsical characters that kids would more likely want to build figures with...
    Calendar? This year's city calendar appears to be police themed and 853195 has the cheerleader and skater, not a crash test dummy (or for that matter the zombie or magician mentioned by the Lego store clerk). Besides, what kid says, "I want a crash test dummy"? While in your mind it may make sense, that's not necessarily the case with everyone. Just like I have no interest in zombies, others may not have interest in crash test dummies.

Regardless, the employee at the store did not mention crash test dummies. He mentioned cheerleaders, zombies and magicians. That's what he said so that's what I passed on here.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    Is the CMFs3 Alien really considered the CTD of series 3? I think he's awesome! I'm actually disappointed that I have but two of him, though since s3 is still around in abundance near me, I might just seek a few more out. (This is a public service announcement from the "to each their own" foundation).

Regardless, all the conjecture of which figures will appeal to kids fails to take into account how surprising their decisions can truly be, and the nature of the BaM station. My daughter made three identical figures (same hair, head, pants) except for the torso. One was apparently a lumberjack (donning the 'tablecloth pattern' blue w/red stripe 'plaid' shirt), one was a police woman, and the last got the Blacktron 3 Rench torso. She told me they were three twin sisters. I informed her that was known as 'triplets'. I can't remember which accessories each got, but rest assured they made no sense in the context of the torsos chosen.

So, all this talk of whether or not zombies will appeal to children ignores the fact that they can build whatever figure they damn well please out of the pieces. They might take a zombie head, a pirate torso, and a mermaid tail, put a fireman's hat on it and give it a walkie-talkie as an accessory and be absolutely thrilled with the outcome while you stand there shaking your head at the dearth of logic (or grinning from ear to ear at how awesome the imagination of a child truly is, depending on your point of view). I'd wager the only people truly building a fully-fledged CMFs1 Zombie (or clown, or skateboarder, or cheerleader) figure out of the BaM station will be T/AFOLs who missed out on the initial CMFs1 release.
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 607
    edited June 2012
    Is there a topic thread/forum/etc anywhere that tells what elements are available at a given LEGO store's pick-a-brick wall? When I last spoke to a Mall of America (here in MN) employee, IIRC she said elements are changed weekly though some obviously seem to remain constant. Actually it's been quite awhile since their wall was worth it in my opinion, & I was wondering if anyone tracks what's available where from week to week (like a scouting report) & where I can see that info.

Merged with Existing Discussion: YC 6-5-12
    OK I found a link to brickbuildr which seems to show what Im looking for. Wow, the MoA/Mpls MN PAB wall seems kinda weak compared to some others recently updated. Some stores have HORSES?!? Never seen that here!
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    The new store in Lynnwood, WA had a real nice selection of items I haven't seen before. No horses though :)
  • josecafejosecafe Member Posts: 29
    i agree. mn's pab wall is pathetic compared to other stores i have been too. Also, thier grab bags usually are just handfulls of bricks from the wall and not torn down models with possible minifigs inside.
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    I don't know if I'd agree with that. I live 300 miles from the MoA store, so I only get there about 3-6 times per year. Despite that I've seen grab bags with parts from sets. Specifically the Toy Shop set a couple of years ago, and earlier this year some Dino, Ninjago, Friends, and Forrest Police sets. If I can find them with my infrequent visits, they are there to be found.

I think you are seeing a couple of things happening. First, because the store does so much pick-a-brick business, they have a lot of leftover parts to go into grab bags, so they'll have more of that than your typical LEGO store just due to turnover on the wall. The other thing coming into play is that there is a very active AFOL community in the Twin Cities. When one of them finds grab bags, word goes out to the rest and they are snapped up very quickly. If you aren't a member of TwinLUG or one of the LEGO train groups in MN, you should join if you want to get in the loop on grab bag finds.
    edited June 2012
    Under the Minneapolis MN store there appears to be 3 different diagrams showing what's on the pab wall. Is the top one the most current? I was told by that clerk the bins higher than 8 or so were display 2x4 bricks, I'm 6' 4" so I can get to 2 or 3 bins above the rest.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 668
    That's probably the entire wall but broken up due to the format of the website.

I was considering updating the Rockefeller Center store periodically, but I went two consecutive Fridays and the parts selection had changed quite a bit just in that short time.

It would be cool to have a thread where people post interesting PaB finds, and negotiate reselling and/or trading those parts. Does that exist anywhere? I've done that within my LUG a bit, but a national or even global version could be cool.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432

It would be cool to have a thread where people post interesting PaB finds, and negotiate reselling and/or trading those parts. Does that exist anywhere? I've done that within my LUG a bit, but a national or even global version could be cool.
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/1482/pick-a-brick-collective