Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Legoboy's insight into sets EOL in 2012 and those staying on for 2013

Comments

• meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    Stores don't have infinite space, nor do they have infinitely large trucks. While those two things would no doubt make logistics easier, since neither exists the answer is that there are absolutely pallets of highly desired items still in the supply chain. Some are at the manufacturers (and their warehouses), some on ships on their way to our shores, some on trucks between the shipping terminal and the distributors, some in the distribution warehouses (multiple levels of this usually), some on trucks on their way from one warehouse to another or to a store... some lost in the back rooms of the stores or sitting in a trailer outside the store that they didn't have room to unpack...

All of these things definitely are happening as I type this. Much of that product will hit store shelves in the next 19 days. Go sit outside your local TRU or Wal Mart tonight and watch the trucks rolling in. Even tiny TRU stores (compared to Wal Mart or Target) get multiple trucks every day from mid November through the end of the year. Every single day. Think about that, they sell a truckload or more of stuff (on average) every day at a single Toys R Us store. Crazy but true.

How do I know this? I've worked for a manufacturer and a retailer. I've seen both sides of the operation. Also, as a consumer I've been lucky enough to find those items that are sold out everywhere. They restock them about every couple of days at TRU, you just need to be there when they unpack the truck. Just picked up a playset for my son that is going for 3x MSRP on ebay (TRU exclusive). Yeah, check TRU or their website 100x a day, and you will see it sold out, but if you are lucky and know a bit about their distribution system, you can pick one up. I did. Could have bought more but I'm not a scalper. If you had checked a few hours after I bought mine you wouldn't have found them again because they disappeared very quickly. But I guarantee that if I had wanted another I could find it before Christmas.
  • thehockeyboythehockeyboy Member Posts: 97
    I'm simply defending those who are willing to provide us exclusive information they received or years of insight. Simply because an item is still available does not mean it isnt EOL'd and will be discontinued soon.

I'm thankful for those willing to provide their knowledge and experience in how Lego cycles their sets and get quite annoyed by people who bash them for idiotic reasons.
  • jpczjpcz Member Posts: 95

10219 is in stock for shipping at TRU US and if you use the promocode 956890 if you purchase with a mastercard, you should be able to get $25 off, bringing it to ~$105. Plus it looks like you get free shipping no matter what. Just remember that when you first try to apply the code you will get an error, but then once you move to the next screen, it should be applied. At least that it how it worked for me yesterday. Don't know how long the promo is good for.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12066413&prodFindSrc=search

Thank you for this, i am able to confirm the 25 comes off with a MC and not the toysrus card. Didnt really need to have this one, but for my first train and all the hype about it...thanks for the post with the information, worked out to 114 shipped for me after tax.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,929

Simply because an item is still available does not mean it isnt EOL'd and will be discontinued soon.

And vice versa. Just because something is EOL doesn't mean it is necessarily going to be unavailable.
  • DeckerDecker Member Posts: 65
    I noticed something today during my visit to the Glendale CA Lego Store... #10197 Fire Brigade had a sign on it that said "Retiring Soon". I was about to take a pic with my phone but a store employee asked me not to take any pictures in the store. I am not going to make any assumptions what their definition of "soon" is but I thought it was info worth sharing. Apologies if this has already been brought up...

Decker
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    Decker said:

... but a store employee asked me not to take any pictures in the store....

Decker

Oh my, I didn't realize Jack Nicholson was working at that store...lol, no pictures, really??

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Wow, that would be big news!!!

I was specifically told that Fire Brigade was not retiring this year and would be around for another year.

If this is true, and not an error on the store's part, then my info was wrong.

Did you ask the store if the sign was in the right place?
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Decker said:

I was about to take a pic with my phone but a store employee asked me not to take any pictures in the store.

Seriously? If it's some sort of official rule, then so be it, but I'm betting it's the Glendale employees making up rules on the spot. The employees in that store are just so rude and obnoxious, it doesn't surprise me.
  • thehockeyboythehockeyboy Member Posts: 97
    ^ I know many stores with this rule, it's just a matter of enforcing. Reasons I received in the past on why they don't allow pictures generally revolve around their advertising/display set-up (as if they didn't want their style and setup to be shown to other stores).

Completely stupid.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 319
    I use my camera to take pictures to remind myself of things I intend to buy later (ie come back when my kid is not present if it is a gift for him) or to send to others as gift suggestions. If a store ever asked me not to take a picture then I would ask them if they would rather I shop somewhere else.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656

I was specifically told that Fire Brigade was not retiring this year and would be around for another year.

If this is true, and not an error on the store's part, then my info was wrong.

@LFT

I had asked a couple months ago at my Lego store and they mentioned that Fire Brigade was not going to be available in the near future, that it would disappear in the beginning of the new year. That being said, this is just a sales person working at a Lego Store, take it for what it is worth.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693

^ I know many stores with this rule, it's just a matter of enforcing. Reasons I received in the past on why they don't allow pictures generally revolve around their advertising/display set-up (as if they didn't want their style and setup to be shown to other stores).

Completely stupid.

I've heard of it, but I don't for one second believe it's LEGO Store's policy to not allow pictures. It's the power-tripping employees at Glendale making up nonsense. They were probably just annoyed you were in the store in the first place.

• gofigure19gofigure19 Member Posts: 20
    #10212 is on the Lego retiring soon page along with several other newly added sets

#10212 is on the Lego retiring soon page along with several other newly added sets

Thanks for the heads up, that wasn't there a day or three ago...

I notice that Fire Brigade isn't there. IS isn't a surprise, but DA is on the list now. Some people had reported that might continue until Dec 2013, but clearly it won't now.

Probably...

Most likely...

Hopfully... :)
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Many chains/businesses in all different markets have rules against people coming in and taking pictures. They don't want to make it easy for people to come in and copy a design/look, or use for reference, or price match and other reasons. The policy is not meant to inhibit customers. Some managers/employees just take it to another level. I doubt very much Lego is trying to prevent pictures period.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    edited December 2012
    Many stores (not just the Disney ones) have life size models. They encourage people to take pictures. Now if you're "casing the place" with shots of every shelf, it might freak out some employees. But no, a normal picture or two would never be a problem

I did ask the employee that would not allow the pictures to be taken if the sign was accurate. he said yes and that it was recently changed. Some time with in the last 2-3 days.
    ^ *note to self, go over to LEGO store tomorrow to see if they have put up the same sign*

I'll report back once I've checked...
    FollowsClosely
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,051
    I need to stop reading this, you just prompted me to place another FB order...
    LegoFanTexas
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,927
    Ma1234 said:

Completely stupid.

I've heard of it, but I don't for one second believe it's LEGO Store's policy to not allow pictures. It's the power-tripping employees at Glendale making up nonsense. They were probably just annoyed you were in the store in the first place.
    It might not be the LEGO store's rule... I've been in shopping malls before where photography is prohibited throughout (specifically, the mall at National Harbor, Maryland). Ostensibly this was for security reasons, with a security guard telling us something about how after 9/11 they have to take special precautions. I'm not sure if I buy that, but my dad argued the point with a store employee until a security guard showed him a sign that explicitly stated this rule.

Naturally, some stores will probably enforce such rules more than others. I've never been in a LEGO store where the employees told me about such a rule, but then again, I haven't really tried photographing things in LEGO stores too often. But in general it's not unheard-of for such rules to exist.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I stopped in at the Indianapolis store today and did not see a Retiring Soon sign on the FB. They had it on the new ones listed online though - Naboo, Geonosian, Friends Speedboat...
    Went by two stores, last night and today. No such sign up for FB.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Maybe they wouldn't let you photograph it because it's not true.
    thehockeyboyLegoFanTexasLegoboyPenkid11Dougoutlegoprods
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417

Maybe they wouldn't let you photograph it because it's not true.

This is true, haha.

gmpirate said:

Went by two stores, last night and today. No such sign up for FB.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/post/quote/7185/Comment_139628

Your in SoCal right? Which 2 stores did you hit up?

Watch... I'll go back to Glendale and the sign will be taken down.
    ^ South Coast and Disney.
    Went back to Glendale Lego store this morning...
    ^ah, I see the error, the sign is one shelf too high
    On a side note, did you get kicked out for being a rebel with the camera?
    No... I did not get kicked out... but I did get the stink eye from the chick greeting at the front door.
    edited December 2012
    ^should have taken her picture as you left and given her one of these:

Decker said:

Went back to Glendale Lego store this morning...

Ahh, you're killing me.

After I went and had it confirmed to me that FB was staying for another year.

Goes to show that sources can conflict and the only true test is when the sets are gone.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I'm not going to put any stock into a sign that a single store has put out. All other sources are saying the opposite - that it is sticking around. Until it shows up on shop.lego.com and/or other stores start putting the sign out, I'm just going to assume Glendale has made an error, or has a ton of these in stock they are trying to move.
    ^ please don't get me wrong... I am not saying that FB is EOL. Just trying to pass on to the community what I noticed at my local store. Frankly... I hope they did just make an error as I would like to pick up a couple more but the wife has said no more Lego till after Xmas.
    Every other store in Socal does not have that sign . . .
  • aeloleaelole Member Posts: 34
    Did QAR and BP retired or its just out of stock?
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 789
    ^Retired, but this is not the thread for that.
  • aeloleaelole Member Posts: 34
    ^ Yes i know, it was just a small parenthesis.. Thanks
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Decker said:

^ please don't get me wrong... I am not saying that FB is EOL. Just trying to pass on to the community what I noticed at my local store. Frankly... I hope they did juhst make an error as I would like to pick up a couple more but the wife has said no more Lego till after Xmas.

Oh, I definitely appreciate you passing on the information - didn't mean to imply otherwise. i was just remarking how I was personally going to treat the information at this time, due to lack of corroboration.
  • JohnnyfinlandiaJohnnyfinlandia Member Posts: 358
    Well I was keeping my eye on the €50 Winter Sets in Amazon.eu and now the LEGO 10216 is gone TODAY apart from Amazon resellers .. and also gone from the UK S&H too. Too late. Does anyone know if there are any stores selling this at normal price or have I missed the boat as they say?
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 445
    Meh, I just didn't want to jump on that one.

Too obvious, and holding it a year for a 30€ climb or so, not worth it.

Of course that changes if you bought it at a significant discount, but now for the prices that amazon had.
  • Short_RoundShort_Round Member Posts: 161
    Gutted! Just phoned Stratford Lego store, and as far as they're aware 10231 Shuttle Expedition is now discontinued :(

Gutted! Just phoned Stratford Lego store, and as far as they're aware 10231 Shuttle Expedition is now discontinued :(

I thought everyone knew this one already? That one was confirmed as far as I know.

Amazon.com still has it for 15% off, if anyone wants one.
  • leppgleppg Member Posts: 45
    I snagged one myself, thought I wouldn't be able to grab one for any less than retail since Walmart went Sold Out online. Thought I waited too long. Thanks LFT :)
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Has anyone got solid confirmation 10231 is on the way out? I see S&H will be restocking in January....odd for a set that is supposedly EOL?
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    sold out in europe
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337

sold out in europe

But that means nothing. Any solid proof of EOL?

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,230
    Right now LEGO.com US shows it on backorder. Now That does not say much either, that may just be the 'last gasp' of what they can build at LEGO, but again the set can be had still for 85 bucks on Amazon.com
  • dk1007dk1007 Member Posts: 49
    Lego store Glendale, some sales chicks their told me back in March that FB was going to retire then. Clearly, she has no idea what she is talking about. The retiring soon sign, I think is just her trying to keep customer thinking she knows everything. Bottomline is, don't trust the store employee. They know nothing. I would only trust information coming for the manufacture head of lego. We spend way too much time trying to figure out what is going to retire next, just let it be and enjoy the collection process. No one will make a business out of this reselling, just a hobby for fun.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,979
    No one will make a business out of this reselling, just a hobby for fun.
    Uh, there are clearly those here that make it a business.
    LegoFanTexasChang405thehockeyboypharmjod