Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ridiculous eBay Auctions

Comments

• SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    What set was it? Or was it just a mixed lot?
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,185
    It was a Grand Opening minifig set #1 of 500.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    I sold one on eBay recently were the buyer sent me a msg after they won with multiple bidders, that after looking at the pics again, they thought the cockpit canopy was damaged (which it wasn't) and they no longer wished to continue the transaction.

About a month ago a lady said her child accidently won the auction and they didn't want to honor their winning bid.

The nerve of some people...
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    vwong19 said:

I won a LEGO auction today for ~$70... after I paid I got this response.

"I want to apologize to you. I am a brand new user to ebay and initially set up the reserve improperly. After spending an hour+ with ebay on the phone, I was able to correct it. I refunded 100% of the paypal momey submitted. I do wish to sell the item, however, I will accept $200 as the minimum. I truly apologize for the inconvenience. For this mistake I will offer it you for $150 before shipping. If still interested, let me know I will arrange sale. Otherwise I will relist with the proper reserve in place. Thanks for your understanding."

Oh well...

It takes a lot for me to leave a negative on eBay, but this would be a certainty.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939
    UKtsumi said:

if anyone hasn't opened their TC14 yet and wants to buy one already opened......... make an offer on this TC14 ebay, and free posting!

Or maybe I can open my 2 unopened ones and sell them for an extra £55? Who'd have thought that opened and used Lego would be worth more than an MSIB example of teh same item?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,998
    vwong19 said:

"I want to apologize to you. I am a brand new user to ebay and initially set up the reserve improperly. After spending an hour+ with ebay on the phone, I was able to correct it. I refunded 100% of the paypal momey submitted. I do wish to sell the item, however, I will accept $200 as the minimum. I truly apologize for the inconvenience. For this mistake I will offer it you for $150 before shipping. If still interested, let me know I will arrange sale. Otherwise I will relist with the proper reserve in place. Thanks for your understanding."

Oh well...

Did you leave them negative feedback?
    I may leave a negative feedback but the seller has a 0 feedback so it is pretty pointless. I am waiting for them to get a positive otherwise they will just create a new account.
    It looks like they already got a negative feedback for the other set he attempted to sell. So much for that eBay account.
  • thehockeyboythehockeyboy Member Posts: 97
    I can understand a buyer making a mistake on a fixed price listing in which they mistype a price or quantity (heck, I've even done it a few times). But to cancel an auction after it ends because it doesn't get the money they want?

I think 90% of people who buy on ebay (and a few who sell, such as this guy) don't realize that committing to buy (or sell) an item is a CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION. When you click the buy it now button and go through all the prompts, you then have a requirement to pay.

Of course there is the "require immediate payment" option, but all serious sellers know that by doing this they discourage people buying multiple items to get combined shipping. I just wish ebay would enforce their policies a little more strict to prevent buyers (and sellers) from breaking their contracts.
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    ^ A contract is a contract is a contract ... but only between Ferengi.
    y2joshLegoboyBrickDancerRedbullgivesuwind
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^eBay has tried to solve the combined shipping on 'immediate payment' problem with the cart option, but the fact of the matter is, most consumers don't see eBay as a retail-style site and simply don't use the cart, so I have to go in and manually refund what they overpaid for shipping... which, of course, eBay does not reimburse me the fees for.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    this is ridiculous, or rather ridiculously good!, although I couldnt justify buying! Full collection of MISB Western sets!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-WESTERN-1996-1997-FULL-COLLECTION-6769-6766-6748-6761-676-etc-MISB-NEW-NEU-/221161218034?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item337e3c5ff2
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 457
    Maybe put a period between 8 and 7.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    There are some really good ebayers out there though. I just received a gallon bag stuffed with lego for $8.99 (buy it now) free shipping. I can't imagine how the guy made any money. And he had over a thousand positive feedback.
  • JT32JT32 BasingstokeMember Posts: 124
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    Im selling the wrong Black Pearl if I could get $87 for the mini set when that is right now the winning bid for the full sized one.

With the guy who listed the item wrong... I cant believe that E-bay would allow him to reneg on the deal after the auction was ended when there is options to change the listing before the first bid is placed. You can also opt to end early as well. I would leave negative feedback on him just to warn others. I know we are all new sometime but if you mess up then it is your bad and you take the loss... Best way to learn any lesson if you ask me.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    edited December 2012
    ^eBay doesn't actually have any power to force a sale - they can only take action against the abusing user. But I agree. I don't ever use an auction if there's a price I absolutely HAVE to get for an item.
  • UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 626
    edited December 2012
    why would anyone have more than one , "new set without the box for sale"??? anyone think they are returning refilled boxes to the store. ???
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    ^ Good point, but these might just as well be display models, or assembled models for which the boxes simply don't exist anymore. Or they want to save on shipping.
  • UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 626
    ^ their completed listings dont really tally up with that idea. I know there could be a legitimate reason, Im just glad I dont live in his area. Would hate to be disappointed come Christmas day to have a box full of rubbish from my local toysrus/argos.
    Notice how many people have bought the set :rolleyes
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,998
    ^ They obviously just put it up to stop orders, but what is interesting is how the price went up in the space of a coupld of weeks from end of Nov to Dec. A steady increase from £12 to £20 as they got higher up the search rankings.
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 828
    CCC said:
    I got one of them for my cousin for Christmas (a little 3 year old girl) I got it for £10 from B&M bargains, now I have to build it for her :( I bet it compares nowhere near lego but my cousin will still enjoy it (hopefully)
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757

Notice how many people have bought the set :rolleyes

If you click on the buyers for that auction, you;ll see that they paid much much less for them.. ;) £19.97 and less...

• Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    richo said:

vwong19 said:

Oh well...

It takes a lot for me to leave a negative on eBay, but this would be a certainty.
    I've had the opposite before as well, where someone has won an auction and then sent me an email saying they can't afford the final price, asking me to reduce it. The attitudes of some on ebay are annoying.
    edited December 2012
    I had a woman(From right here in my own country of the U.S.) threaten me with negative feedback(after I had already politely refunded her for her purchase error) to alter my Ebay auction because I should make it clearer that I am selling instructions and not an entire kit. She was irate because her son wanted this kit for his birthday...

This is the EXACT listing that I have been using since I started selling the instructions in January(2012) and the one that she purchased....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crowkillers-Custom-Lego-Technic-Vampire-GT-Supercar-121-Page-instructions-X-2-/281033370541?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item416ee4ebad

Is it possible that I could have made this any clearer as to what was being purchased..?

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,339

I had a woman(From right here in my own country of the U.S.) threaten me with negative feedback(after I had already politely refunded her for her purchase error) to alter my Ebay auction because I should make it clearer that I am selling instructions and not an entire kit. She was irate because her son wanted this kit for his birthday...

This is the EXACT listing that I have been using since I started selling the instructions in January(2012) and the one that she purchased....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crowkillers-Custom-Lego-Technic-Vampire-GT-Supercar-121-Page-instructions-X-2-/281033370541?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item416ee4ebad

Is it possible that I could have made this any clearer as to what was being purchased..?

First off, that's a great set. Kudos to you for building such a spectacular model.

Secondly... yes... don't know what in the world she was thinking. Bold. Colored. Big font. If you made it any clearer, it would become overkill..
    edited December 2012
    samiam391 said:

First off, that's a great set. Kudos to you for building such a spectacular model.

Secondly... yes... don't know what in the world she was thinking. Bold. Colored. Big font. If you made it any clearer, it would become overkill..
    I now send out a disclaimer to each buyer(To avoid being scammed) before I send the download access, and last week I had to refund 3 people(1 from the U.S., 1 from Bulgaria, and 1 from Russia) who all thought that they had purchased an entire 1,900 piece kit..

I even have "Instructions Only" in 20 different languages right in the listing....

The worst part is that I feel that most people are taking offense to my initial disclaimer message because they usually respond back with "Yeah, I am not stupid" or "Who thinks they are getting a 1,900 piece kit for only $10?"

I have refunded more people this year from the U.S.(Mostly California) than every other country in the world combined...

Redbullgivesuwindnerick906
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,524
    ^ Considering that there was another one that sold for $75 and another that didn't sell for $399. I doubt it sold for that much. I just can't see the bidder info for that auction.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,339
    ^I'm guessing it's some zero feedback bidder or something. I can't see it selling for that price either. Feel bad for the buyer if it did... sort of.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,963
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Lego-2012-Holiday-Limited-Edition-Box-Set-Factory-Sealed-Employee-Gift-/350660054730

Rare Lego 2012 Holiday Limited Edition Box Set Factory Sealed Employee Gift
    "It was Not For Sell and was Offered to Special Lego Employees "

Strange, I appear to have three of them!
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 759
    ^ Like me, you must be a VERY Special Lego Employee... ;-)
  • SiESiE Member Posts: 238
    lol, I gave one away the other day to a nice girl who bought a Grand Carousel off me. I still have another 6 floating about.
    Not a scam but this kind fellow as reminded us of scamming on Gumtree
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/star-wars-lego-scams-beware-millennium-falcon-10179/1005409268

Sounds like it's happened quite a bit
  • ClarenceohClarenceoh Member Posts: 2
    It's a confirm scam bro.........Avoid.
    D:

Feedback is good, he uses Paypal...

If it isn't a scam, one heck of a bargin XD
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    edited December 2012

Yes, anybody reading the complete listing should understand that these are instructions only.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't read listings to the end. In my experience, the average eBayer usually looks at the main picture, reads the first five words of the title, and then clicks "buy".

So, please don't take offense when I reply seriously to your sarcastic question and suggest a few improvements:

1. Why not change title and subtitle to start with "Instructions for..."?
    2. The word "sets" is used a lot in these listings: In the main image, in the subtitles, etc. This is not making it clearer. People apparently understand this as "sets of Lego", not as "sets of instructions".
    3. Of the twelve images in the listing, nine are photographs or renders of assembled models and as such indeed suggest the listing is for a model. One of these is the main image for the listing.
    Only two images actually reflect that the listing is for instructions, i.e. showing the model partly assembled.
    4. The listing starts with a link to a Cuusoo project for a set. It should start by plainly stating that buyers are buying instructions. (Also, explaining what buyers are NOT buying often is more confusing than helpful.)
    5. For the translations of "instructions only", machine translation seems to have been used: German "Anweisungen nur" is a horrible abomination of a translation which at best might be understood to mean "commands merely". Machine translation is very very unreliable yadda yadda yadda... (I'm waiting for @LostInTranslation to come to my support here.;) In short: Hands off machine translations!
    (For fun, why not do a reverse translation using Google Translate. You'll get Danish "instruktioner Kun" -> "None only", Lithuanian "nurodymų tik" -> "orders only", Russian "Инструкция только" -> "user only", Slovak "iba pokyny" -> "only guidelines", Vietnamese "Hướng dẫn Chỉ" -> "Guide only"... my point is that you shouldn't rely on machine translations to mean what you think it means. :)

Anyway, great models, hope it helps, don't be offended, don't shoot the messenger, happy new year. :)
    It's gone....

:twitch

DANG!

I feel sorry for the poor bloke who's been scammed
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 445
    Is your avatar genuine?

Just kidding, now, if you live close to him, why not give it a chance? Maybe you can be posting on the brag thread soon!

Well the DS is back up, and other people have bought it, he must have quite a few, you don't think these are drop shipped do you?

The Batcave looks legit, I would get it if I were you
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    Perfect, "highly collectable" lego bag. Personally, I've never seen one like it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lego-Carrier-Bag-/281042198147?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item416f6b9e83
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    this part kills me:
    "This could be a highly collectable item- I havent seen one like this before"

Man, if these are actually worth something, I've got about 100 in my garage...
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    Check this out.......seeing the Market Street like that almost brings a tear to the eye.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150970551220?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    HIghly collectable bag, depends on what may be in the bag.

As to the instructions on eBay, I had the same problem with a bunch of parts to modify the 7676 Republic Gunship into a set very similar to the 10195 Drop-ship. The listing said several times-- extra parts and instructions only, YOU need the 7676 set also to complete ... blah blah blah... most people can read, some just look at the pictures.
    Funny thing was, I made my set only a couple of months before it was revealed in 2009. If anyone is interested, lmk, I think I still have a couple of kits left :)