Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

EXPIRED: [USA] TRU - Red Cargo Train (3677) $103

Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
edited December 2012 in Shopping USA/Canada
Didn't see this being discussed here and picked one up for a little over $100. Not bad. Still in stock and I think you get free shipping on top. The Ninjago bank is out of stock, which is a bummer, but this is still a great deal.

To get the promo code (956890) to work, I think you just need to use a MasterCard. It will tell you initially that the promo code doesn't work, but once you click to the next screen it is applied. At least that is how it worked for me.

http://toysnbricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7544&sid=b2bc60c84ca708a2f911c487111a77a7

Comments

• turtle1173turtle1173 Member Posts: 230
    Wow, that is quite a bargain!
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    When you can get a motorized train approaching the 10 cents/piece range...kind of a no brainer.
  • ColtCrazyColtCrazy Member Posts: 28
    Seems to be back up to $129 once I went there. Still a good deal? Amazon has the passenger train for $119. Which would you get?
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    ^Slick! R2-D2 comes in at $114.99 before tax. Thanks @Rainstorm26
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    The Mastercard promo code appears to stack with the $25 off $100+ LEGO promo. Just have to find LEGOS that the latter offer apply to.
  • andystarandystar Member Posts: 275
    ^^Agree, R2-D2 for 114.99 is very nice, Ebates has 5% back on TRU purchases today so use them to kill the tax.
    Just got 4 of the Hobbit sets at 30% off RRP by stacking the promos.
  • pumperxpumperx Member Posts: 106
    Thanks @Rainstorm26 also pick up R2-D2, $115 is a great deal.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 317
    Thanks. I just ordered R2D2 as my first investment set. Red Cargo Train will be retired first but I think R2D2 has more potential for gain especially since is has a deeper discount. Besides we already have the red cargo train so if I get stuck with it then at least it will not be a duplicate.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Good call on the R2D2 investment......been eyeing it a little; but for building/playing, it is really the train sets which are great. Now if R2D2 had some power function motors and could move, then I probably would have gone that route.
    Has anyone been able to use the codes more than once with the same card?
  • ogelogelogelogel Member Posts: 47
    Could not apply the code after first use with the same card.
    Darn...I was hoping to pick up R2D2 or a nice Hobbit set.
    edited December 2012
    City Garage is also a nice deal on sale at $103.99. Add a set like the Cement Mixer and the total with the MC discount comes in at 100.98, or 28% off MSRP before tax (use ebates as @andystar mentioned).
  • atxleeatxlee Member Posts: 155
    Thanks for the tip. It just save $30 for me on the red cargo train
    red cargo train OOS for shipping...still have r2d2
  • AlczervikAlczervik Member Posts: 93
    i ordered a yellow cargo for 135 , not too shabby
  • wehrlibirdwehrlibird Member Posts: 12
    Great deal with the MC promo- thanks for the tip! I noticed they had some Statue of Liberty poly bags for reg price of $4.99. Limit 5. These are going for over $20 on bricklink.
    @Alczervik The yellow train has the rechargeable battery so in the long run it is probably the better value!
    ^Having bought the Yellow Cargo Train last year (7939), it does not have a rechargeable battery..... Please note train prices jacked back up to beyond RRP....R2D2 and other specials still seem to be running
    LegoFanTexas
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 675
    I also can confirm that yellow cargo train has the AAA battery box.
    LegoFanTexas
    ^ My bad. Back when I purchased the red cargo train, I researched both of them and I could have sworn that was the major difference between the two sets. Is there another explanation for the higher price (after all it only has 8 more pieces than the red train)?
  • thehockeyboythehockeyboy Member Posts: 97
    I haven't seen this brought up on any of the threads yet, but in the US Wendy's fast food chain is offering a $10 off coupon to TRU with the purchase of a kids meal. I'm guessing its in-store only, but it likely stacks with other discounts (like the $25 off purchase of $100 or more regular price).

http://www.time2saveworkshops.com/2012/12/wendys-1-99-kids-meal-10-toys-r-us-giftcard-offer.html
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Yellow Cargo train might only have a few more parts, but the question is, "what are those parts?"

Not all parts are created equal. :)

Yellow Cargo train remains a great value for all that is included, even more so when you can get it for 20% or more off.

The primary value to Red Cargo train is to expand the train options without having to buy a second Yellow Cargo train. I have 3 kids, we already have Yellow Cargo train and Red Passenger train, so for the 3rd child to have their "own" train, you need Red Cargo train.

Yes, there is Maersk and Emerald Night, but those are adult trains. For kids, you need Red Cargo train for a 3rd.
    BTW, the rechargable batteries are way expensive from LEGO, but worth it. You get 4 or 5 trains running, the idea of having to rip them all open to change out batteries, very quickly you won't want to bother.

You can recharge the rechargable packs while leaving them inside the trains.

3 rechargeable batteries and 2 wall chargers will run you about $200 however! :) Way, way, way over priced, but I bought them so I guess not! :)
    edited December 2012
    ^Thanks for bringing that up, been meaning to grab some rechargeables. TRU has a decent deal for 3 batteries and a charger right now...$25 off $100 stacks with $25 Mastercard promo for a total around $125 ($50 off or 28%).
    ^ Yes, LEGO doesn't really do a very good job in my opinion of making clear that with the rechargables, you can leave them in the trains.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    I just left my local TRU where they matched the sale price and gave me the $25 off with absolutely no hassle, almost with pleasure and enthusiasm. And I had $5 Rewards coupon. $103 total.
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    @Picopirate @LegoFanTexas The Yellow Cargo Train includes two switches. I believe that is the big cost driver difference.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ Plus it's a newer set which will reflect cost increases.
    ^Yellow train is actually older than the Red Cargo...unless you're referring to a different train (?)
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Lol, no, always just assumed the red was older.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited December 2012
    I think the Red Cargo is a much better value overall than the Yellow. Both have the exact same amount of track but the Yellow has +2 switches.

But, switch packs are only $16 and they come with 4 curves. So the #3677 + #7895 is cheaper than #7939 for roughly the same amount of pieces, plus you get 4 extra curves.

Oh, and the Red train's maintenance car is seriously awesome :)

http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/AdditionalImages/3677-1/3677-0000-xx-33-3.jpg
    Just a personal preference, but I like the look of the red train the best. Yeah, and it looks to me to have better play features and cars. Minus the 2 switches I think the red train is the better of the two in just about every aspect. Again, just my opinion.