Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

CMF series 9

Comments

• atxleeatxlee Member Posts: 155
    I am looking forward to the CMF again. My fav has to be the policeman and chicken suit guy!
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439

My money is on the Battle Mech being the one that folks try to army build, thus making hard to find.

If past CM Series are anything to go by there are more folks army building with historic minifigures than with space ones. Also it seems there will only be two each of the Forest Maid and the Fortune Teller in each box while it's easy to predict they will be among the most popular ones (esp. the maiden) so my bet is on them being the hardest to find.

• mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Cool fig, but why would aliens use the same armor as humans? Lego should have come up with something more original.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    I don't get how some of these Youtubers regardless their age get hold of figures months in advance
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,933

My money is on the Battle Mech being the one that folks try to army build, thus making hard to find.

I can see a lot of these as army builders depending on the person. Eg. judges - three on a panel. Plumber - a squad of four or five getting up to various capers. Gypsies - for a medieval scene. Waiters - three or four for a restaurant moc.

And that is before you consider the more traditional army type groups - knight, space (alien avenger and the mech) forest maiden, police, cyclops.

I'm going to say it - one of the best series yet. I cannot see a real dud in there. If anything, for me, it is the battle mech, roller derby, Mr Good and Evil that are the weakest. But for others, they may be their top choices. They are still good characters if you are into what they represent. I cannot see me using the roller derby for anything else - maybe the skates for a kid in the city - but the other parts are not so usable for me. Same with the battle mech. He's just not that interesting to me.

hissingsid99
    One thing they don't show you on the lego site is the accessories for the waiter. They are in whitefang's review on euobricks.

I guess the "no to alcohol" stance is completely gone now. Wine bottle, wine glass (from Mirkwood elf, etc). So when are we going to get beer cans?
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    ^ That's grape juice.
    Penkid11
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,927
    edited December 2012
    CCC said:

One thing they don't show you on the lego site is the accessories for the waiter. They are in whitefang's review on euobricks.

I guess the "no to alcohol" stance is completely gone now. Wine bottle, wine glass (from Mirkwood elf, etc). So when are we going to get beer cans?

I think that they might be bending the "no alcohol" rule here, not breaking it. Obviously what the waiter's carrying is meant to represent a wine glass, but a person could conceivably argue that it's just sparkling grape juice, just like you could argue the keg in one of the historic themes advent calendars (I forget which) is used to serve non-alcoholic cider or juice.

The goblet from the Mirkwood elf set is not at all new, and has in fact been in dozens of sets. It's often used for water, potions, etc, and so I wouldn't say it's any more of an infringement of the alcohol policy than the classic cone-shaped goblet that has been around for decades.

The bio for the waiter on LEGO.com amusingly pokes fun at this subversion of TLG's alcohol policy: “Good evening. May I recommend this fine green plastic bottle with a picture of grapes on it?” :P

Beer cans could probably be introduced in the same way: just a 1x1 round brick printed with a label nondescript enough that it could be interpreted as a soda can or other non-alcoholic beverage, but in the context of a minifigure or set that makes it obvious to AFOLs what it's intended to represent.
    ^ I just find it a bit strange that all the other minifigs have their accessories in their bio pics. Yet lego hide the wine bottle online.
    cheshirecat
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    edited December 2012
    OK on Lego.com they have released the Series 9 CMFs.

Series 9

What do you all think?

Here is my take.

Love most of them except that there are 3 females with the dress wedge for feet. I dont like this piece as it makes posing the minifigs near impossible. Aside from that great set!
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    I like the series, although I'm disappointed that according to the case breakdown on Eurobricks, you can only make 2 complete sets from a case. Good for army building, bad for splitting a case 3 ways.
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    @Dread_Pirate the link is not working for me. Please post the full link.

Thank you!
    Gimme a sec, it worked in the preview but not in the thread
    OK here is the revised link, and the exact addy without the HTML

Series 9

http://minifigures.lego.com/en-us/default.aspx?icmp=COUSFR23Minifigures
    sipmart242
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    @Dread_Pirate Thanks! When you said released, I had assumed they were released on [email protected] for purchase.

Thanks!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,233
    edited December 2012
    Yeah.. kinda 'false advertising' when I saw the title.
    Thanks for the link, you can finally see the figures in a good detail
    [email protected] didnt have Series 8 available until a few weeks after I stared seeing them at my TRU store. I have not been to TRU lately as I have finished getting my kids X-mas stuff. I am gonna stop in there this weekend and see if they have any. Will let you know
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,233
    edited December 2012
    I'm guessing they are not around the corner, otherwise Im guessing eBay sellers would probably have their pre-order listings up right now, unless LEGO is squashing that for series 9 (which would be surprising)

I just get a box off of one of those guys, a bit cheaper and a set for me, a set for my gf, and a spare set.. although there are a few figs that I want to get dupes off and will need to hunt for those after the fact.
    I gave up trying to go to every TRU in town to try to find the figs (and usually pay much more)
    Called 2 TRUs near me and they are all out of the Series 8 and said they cannot order any more boxes. So series 9 should be around the corner... I hope
    It seems crazy not to have a series out at Xmas. If you cannot get S8 any more and S9 is not out, that is a lot of stocking fillers they are not going to sell.

That said, in the UK, there seems to be no problem with lack of S8.
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 584
    Obviously my opinion will change once I get hold of them, but I'm not really feeling this series at the moment. There's only one or two figures I'd be interested in off the bat. But of course, I will be looking to get my customary two boxes worth.
    Could someone let me know when/where/if they're spotted?
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    ^^ Yeah, I'm thinking these will be released next week at the latest.
  • jamiestjamiest englandMember Posts: 37
    Lego website says January 2013 (underneath the minifigure logo)
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    I think they look pretty good. I'm in.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,301
    OMG! I'm in love with the mermaid, fortune teller, judge, roman emporer and the MAN IN THE CHICKEN SUIT!

This might be my favourite series yet!
  • ufjasonufjason Member Posts: 23
    I can guarantee these will be in retail at TRU before the turn of the year.
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 282
    Thread title should be changed. It implies something completely different than the website going live, which is what this thread is basically about.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444

I'm guessing they are not around the corner, otherwise Im guessing eBay sellers would probably have their pre-order listings up right now, unless LEGO is squashing that for series 9 (which would be surprising)

I just get a box off of one of those guys, a bit cheaper and a set for me, a set for my gf, and a spare set.. although there are a few figs that I want to get dupes off and will need to hunt for those after the fact.
    I gave up trying to go to every TRU in town to try to find the figs (and usually pay much more)

No spare set this time :(
    I remember being able to order packs off of Legos website right after the new year. Let me research that.
    edited December 2012
    LEGO® Minifigures Series 3 Jan 3 2011

That was the only time I ordered Minifigures from [email protected] So...I'm thinking Series 9 will be out the same time.
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    Series 8 is still available everywhere in my city.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,301
    ^ I hope so, I haven't even seen one in person yet!
  • ufjasonufjason Member Posts: 23
    It's possible the set breakdowns are different depending on where they are sent. I remember when the bumps changed and it was harder to identify them that way. I go on pure feel now but it takes forever if you've got more than one case in front of you.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534

Series 9

What do you all think?

Here is my take.

Love most of them except that there are 3 females with the dress wedge for feet. I dont like this piece as it makes posing the minifigs near impossible. Aside from that great set!

Not sure how to judge this line. I really want more females but 3 have those slope skirts which i hate and i don't like that the chicken suit guy has no accessories but on the other hand, stuff like the flask that mr good and evil has is cool and the gray torso of the knight really could come in handy.

I probably will go for at least a few figures since it could be an interesting way to pass the time until animal crossing new leaf comes out. maybe i could build a moc with one of the figures with me doing something as the mayor
    AnthonyC173
  • AnthonyC173AnthonyC173 Member Posts: 101

Series 9

What do you all think?

Here is my take.

Not sure how to judge this line. I really want more females but 3 have those slope skirts which i hate and i don't like that the chicken suit guy has no accessories but on the other hand, stuff like the flask that mr good and evil has is cool and the gray torso of the knight really could come in handy.

I probably will go for at least a few figures since it could be an interesting way to pass the time until animal crossing new leaf comes out. maybe i could build a moc with one of the figures with me doing something as the mayor
    liked for animal crossing.
    im actually digging this line up. lots of variety, and the cyclops is really interesting
    edited December 2012
    ^^ I prefer the chicken suit guy to have wings and no hands, rather than try to modify the wings so he can hold something.

I'm definitely going to do something with an army of plumbers. They will be great for a city addition. Now we need an up-to-date milk man too.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 502
    Love this entire line. Maybe it's because I started a relationship, and my new GF fell in love with series 9, too. So, I'm all about forest girl... gf is all about the knight. Really loving the female hair pieces and Caesar's hair piece, too. Can't have a city scape without enough female minifigs to balance out the crooks and cops.
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    Some news regarding CMF Boxes from Kim Thomsen:
    The reason for the new split is that we are introducing a smaller box with only 30 bags – and 3 is such a troublesome amount to split in half.

So now (soon) you can buy a box and get a whole set plus 14 instead of buying a box of 60.
    full story: http://brickfanatics.co.uk/cmf-distribution-elrond-cape-lone-ranger/
    I don't get it. Why not just sell boxes of 32, with two sets. Or a box of 30 with one full set and 14 completely random ones so equal (well, random) distribution if you purchase many boxes.
    Brilliant news!
    When I read it over on the Ambassador site, I was not sure what to make of it and still don't
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    If the 30x boxes are easily obtainable then its great news. Perhaps takes away from the whole 'collecting' thing, but overall great.
  • RTORTO Member Posts: 73
    bricksan said:

Some news regarding CMF Boxes from Kim Thomsen:

full story: http://brickfanatics.co.uk/cmf-distribution-elrond-cape-lone-ranger/

Thanks for the link. Slightly annoyed he took a couple exact quotes without citations (I'm married to a librarian), but at least he linked to the relevant thread at the end.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,510
    So will the extra 14 be standard or randomised?

eg you'll have duplicates of every figure bar two.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,979
    Really, it is still bad news for me, since picking up a small box would only give me one of each female, except the mermaid. With three kids that usually like female, I'm still hosed. The females are the very ones I need doubles (or triples on), and so while the mini-box is a very cool idea, because of the distribution of the females it really is useless for me.

For me, the issue was never about the 3 versus 2, but that almost every single female minfig is a 2.

Now, trying to find extra females to supplement the lack of females in most of the entire line of Lego, is now that much harder. :-( The forest maiden is THE must have piece for my 10 year old, due to the hair, and also due to the lack of females in LOTR and Hobbit, and of course, that is now set to only 2 per box, or 1 per small box.

I've mentioned it before, but it is really feeling like Lego has taken the stance in 2013 of "Girls have Friends now, so we don't have to worry about them any more in any other aspect of Lego."

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^^ Seems like in a box of 30 you'll get...

1: Waiters, Hollywood starlets, roller derby girls, fortune tellers, forest maidens, plumbers

2: Roman emperors, Chicken suit guys, Judges, Mermaids, Battle mechs, Mr Good/evil

3: Cyclops, Knights, Policemen, Alien avengers
    RTO said:

Thanks for the link. Slightly annoyed he took a couple exact quotes without citations (I'm married to a librarian), but at least he linked to the relevant thread at the end.

Seriously!!

A backlink and credit to the source is common courtesy and that is what I did. Christ most people don't do that.

This is a seriously good move on Lego's part. Most kids will want a full set, and many parents will have wised up to the fact that buying individual bags is no way to try and get a set (especially given the number of bag gropers there are).

This way parents might start buying boxes to get a full set, rather than relying on ebay sellers, which will be a better/ more consistent buying experience and gives the profits to TLG instead of ebay/ the post office.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,979

This is a seriously good move on Lego's part. Most kids will want a full set, and many parents will have wised up to the fact that buying individual bags is no way to try and get a set (especially given the number of bag gropers there are).

This way parents might start buying boxes to get a full set, rather than relying on ebay sellers, which will be a better/ more consistent buying experience and gives the profits to TLG instead of ebay/ the post office.

This is obviously Lego's thought process AND the reason why suddenly the females are pushed back to so few per set. They are aiming these at the consumer and not the AFOL/collector. Because of that they want the distribution of females minimal now. If this is the direction they are going, then I expect this distribution will only continue in future sets. :-/

If they were going to do this, then really I would rather see that they had a minimum of two options...for those that actually do want more female minifigs.

• bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 505
    I have never seen full boxes for sale in Target, where I usually buy the CMFs. What is the best place to find them?