Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Advice needed on modular buildings.

hissingsid99hissingsid99 Member Posts: 10
Hi all, I'm looking to buy one maybe two of the modular buildings and that's all I'll get due to space restrictions. So I was wondering which ones would be the best to get, in terms of building techniques and also for the over all look internally and externally, I've looked at many photos but I've not seen any in the flesh so was hoping for some advice/insights from you guys.

Comments

• canuckcanuck Member Posts: 88
    #10197 Fire Brigade and/or #10218 Pet Shop
    Both fun builds with great techniques and a beautiful finished product.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I second that, those two...
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I'll third that: Fire Brigade and Pet Shop.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    Yup. Bought all 4 of the current ones at once earlier this year and built them all within a month of each other. If you're going with only 2, go with FB and PS.
  • DeckerDecker Member Posts: 65
    I would go with Fire Brigade and Pet Shop as well. Unless you are planning on putting them on a street corner. If that is the case, I would go with Grand Emporium and Fire Brigade.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    I'll stand by FB and PS as well, since you'll get the best presentation out of them. The corner effect on the GE is cool, but the detail will be lost unless you are displaying it in an open area.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 318
    The PS is the modular set that I wanted most. However, I have yet to build it. I purchased the FB and GE first because those are the next ones to be retired. I would highly recommend the FB. It was a fantastic build and looks nice. If after building it, you decide that you want to collect all the current sets, then you could pick up the GE. Otherwise if you know that you will only get one more, then get the PS or wait until the 2013 set come out.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Buy the one you like the look of yourself and don't listen to anyone else.
    LegoFanTexas
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    Before I got the Fire Brigade, I thought it was a pretty dull looking set. After building it though, I can honestly say that it was my favorite set to build until I got Medieval Market Village. So... I'd say get FB, then get Grand Emporium... then figure out what you need to get rid of in your home to make room for the rest of them, because you willwant the rest of them.
  • mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    Fire Brigade is outstanding!

That said, it's the only one of 3 I own I have built to date. To flow with the topic of the post, where do the retired sets (CC & GG) before it rank to those who've bult them?
  • UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 626
    Personally, I think the newer the set the better. CC was a "dull" build, Green Grocer was 10 times better! Market street was relatively interesting, but my favourite so far is pet shop. :)
  • aeloleaelole Member Posts: 34
    Also started with 2.. now I want them all, or at least the ones still in the market. Nobody mentioned Town Hall. Is it inferior comparing to the other modular? Just for the record I've got the FB and GE.
  • UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 626
    My town hall is still in its box, just haven't got the space on my shelf!
  • berniebondberniebond AustriaMember Posts: 137
    You mentioned no budget limit so I would go like this:

1) Green Grocer(as long as its relatively affordable ~400€£$)
    2) Fire Brigade
    3) Grand Emporium (Because it may be gone tomorrow...)
    4) PS and TH
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 807
    edited December 2012
    I don't remember FB being so liked at first in the AFOL community. However, I enjoyed the build and loved the brick work with 1x2 dark red tiles, the snot built window on the 2nd floor, the old school fire truck and the detailing along the top of the facade. The interior is sweet as well.

The PS set is my favorite modular when it comes to inspiring me to build others like it. The 16x32 footprints are more manageable to source bricks for from my own collection and both designs are gorgeous, detailed inside and out and I can't get enough of the sand blue bricks that the PS is built from.

If you have the money however, my favorite modular is GG.

I also happen to agree with @Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK however-buy what you like.
    murphquakehleonffu
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    mdelleman said:

Fire Brigade is outstanding!

That said, it's the only one of 3 I own I have built to date. To flow with the topic of the post, where do the retired sets (CC & GG) before it rank to those who've bult them?

Cafe Corner is actually rather dull, by comparison. Amazing considering its time and it was first, but bleah...

I don't get the love for Green Grocer, it was better than CC, but still a bit dull. I'll sell it at some point I'm sure.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,769
    edited December 2012
    Download the instructions and read through them. Build them in your head first. Then pick the one you think is interesting to build and you like the look of.

Or even better, design your own which fits in with an interest of yours, using techniques learnt from the instructions. Interested in flowers, build a florist. Interested in antiques, build an antique store. You'll love it more in the long run.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    edited December 2012

I don't get the love for Green Grocer, it was better than CC, but still a bit dull. I'll sell it at some point I'm sure.

Agreed. Aside from Market Street, Green Grocer is my least favorite, the one I purchased the fewest and the one I waited the longest to buy (I never even bothered to buy Market Street for myself).

As to the original poster's question, I would get the Town Hall and Pet Shop which I personally like more than the others. If you think you'll want more down the line, being the oldest Fire Brigade is the priority followed by the Grand Emporium
    aelole said:

Also started with 2.. now I want them all, or at least the ones still in the market. Nobody mentioned Town Hall. Is it inferior comparing to the other modular? Just for the record I've got the FB and GE.

Town Hall is an excellent set and is very impressive. However, since it's the newest of the buildings, I think most people are focused on the older ones first. Also, some of the best details of the TH are on the interior.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,151

Buy the one you like the look of yourself and don't listen to anyone else.

No, Listen to every ones opinion and let them make your decision.. Conformity rules.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Since you mentioned space limitations you could just buy the mini modular set and call it a day. Just kidding. I'm looking forward to building the minis as a Christmas present for myself.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    If you really only have space to display two and you're going to hold to that, I think you would want one corner building as it would give the display a better sense of depth.

If cost was not a concern, my ideal combination would be Cafe Corner + Green Grocer. For me, those two sets have the most charm, which I realize is completely subjective. Cafe Corner gets knocked down a peg because it doesn't have an interior, which I know you said is important to you, but I still prefer it over Grand Emporium, even though I quite like the Grand Emporium interior.

For the majority of us, cost is a concern, and so choosing Grand Emporium over Cafe Corner would be a perfectly suitable consolation.
    For some reason it's popular nowadays to knock Cafe Corner. Probably because it is so overpriced in the after market and it lacks some of the more recent design techniques. However, from pictures I think it's still the most charming of the lot. For example, Town Hall has that "designed by commitee" look to it.
    mathew said:

For example, Town Hall has that "designed by commitee" look to it.

So that's why there's a conference room on the top floor.
    bmwlegojasor
    edited December 2012
    ^ Possibly ; )

It's just so conservative looking. Nothing really stands out to me except maybe the size. I like Lego sets that are a little funky and odd. Market Street is actually very cool because it looks like it was designed by an individual who had to work with a limited palette of bricks.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    mathew said:

^ Possibly ; )

It's just so conservative looking. Nothing really stands out to me except maybe the size. I like Lego sets that are a little funky and odd. Market Street is actually very cool because it looks like it was designed by an individual who had to work with a limited palette of bricks.

Actually the Town Hall looks the exact opposite of "designed by committee" (see note below). It has the look of being designed by an architect while the Market Street has the look of being designed by a child or a color-blind amateur.

For the record, the term "designed by committee" means something lacks conformity, not embodies it. A patchwork of different, contradictory and conflicting styles forming a mishmash mess is something that looks like it was "designed by committee".
  • DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    Another reason to buy the FB is that it's most likely to disappear next year. The price is likely to go up when it's gone.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    FB is the most realistic and visually distinct of the bunch. So should be a must. Next IMO should be GG for its color and great looking turret-style windows, adding dimension. Next is a toss up between PS and GE, both great in there own ways.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brickdancer/8244932987/
    edited December 2012
    Town Hall is still boring and un-original. When I look at it I don't see anything signature or inspiring. It looks like something designed to meet a standardized vision of a "town hall" and it meets those metrics without actually trying to be interesting.

Market Street at least looks like someone put a little heart and soul into it. It looks imaginative. Even if that means that it looks "child" like.
    I disagree that the Town Hall is unoriginal. It has a great interior with tons of nice features. The use of an elevator to free up the space normally used by stairs was also a stroke of genius, imho.

That said, I will agree that it looks pretty much like I would expect a town hall to look. I think part of the problem is that the facade on each of the floors is so uniform and there's not a whole lot of variation as you progress up the structure.
    iccarus said:

I disagree that the Town Hall is unoriginal. It has a great interior with tons of nice features. The use of an elevator to free up the space normally used by stairs was also a stroke of genius, imho.

I'm not sure I would call it a stroke of genius. It definitely saves space, but it would of been more genius to figure out a way to fit a grand staircase inside. Besides, what do they do when the power fails or there is a fire?

That's part of my concern with the upcoming Palace Cinema (or whatever it will be called). They could go the easy route and do something similar to the Town Plan cinema. The inside of that looks more like a home theater.
  • dodgedodge Member Posts: 14
    The Pet Shop is a nice build and has a nice diversity of detailed and less detailed interiors. But my all-time favourite is the Green Grocer. Only the first floor has the detail, the other two have room for options (similar to the PS in that way). The two fit nicely together with a residential / commerce bent to them.
    All are nice really, but there's my two cents. Take it as you will.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,769
    iccarus said:

The use of an elevator to free up the space normally used by stairs was also a stroke of genius, imho.

Every time I look at it, I see a fire risk. What happens if there is a fire? People have to jump out of the windows. You cannot use the lift in the event of a fire. So if you get TH, make sure you have FB right next door for a quick rescue.
    shikadijasor
  • duilimduilim Member Posts: 61
    edited December 2012
    I initially wasn't impressed with the Fire Brigade when I first saw it. It only had two floors so didn't really "fit in" with the other modulars (I'm particular when it comes to uniformity/consistency) and I had already seen enough Lego fire stations albeit on a much smaller scale. The other thing that put me off was the price tag - $299 here in Australia, $50 more than CC and GG for what I felt was an inferior set. Having bought it at a significant discount and then built it however, I can see why so many people are impressed with it. The building techniques employed are probably the most intricate of the four I've built (GE, PS and TH being the others) and the set displays very well.

GE was actually my first modular so it's special for that reason but the build is a little monotonous, especially the second and third floors and the interior was a little too bare for my liking.

PS offers something different in the sense that it's actually two smaller modular buildings rolled into one set. The Pet Shop half I found to be extremely well done and very detailed on the inside, whereas I found the opposite to be true of the accompanying townhouse - more interesting on the exterior but a very plain interior.

TH I just simply love - the building experience isn't as challenging as FB but the overall design I found to be pleasing. And yes, in the case of a fire you'd be stuffed but at the end of the day, this is a toy, not an actual real life building.

Of the four available modulars, I'd recommend the FB and TH but to be honest, I'd get all four if possible. I missed out on CC and GG and I'm really regretting it now. Even if you don't build them straightaway because of space restrictions you could always hang on to them for another day. Otherwise you run the risk of spending hours on ebay trying to procure one for a reasonable price in the not too distant future.....
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,922
    CCC said:

iccarus said:

The use of an elevator to free up the space normally used by stairs was also a stroke of genius, imho.

Every time I look at it, I see a fire risk. What happens if there is a fire? People have to jump out of the windows. You cannot use the lift in the event of a fire. So if you get TH, make sure you have FB right next door for a quick rescue.
    Building with LEGO inherently involves working with constraints. The Town Hall is already bigger than all the other modular buildings, and there likely wouldn't be room for both an elevator and stairs, so the choices were essentially between never having an elevator in a modular building or having an elevator without any stairs. It's the same way the Grand Emporium only has one set of escalators, when realistically it would need two: one set for going up and one set for coming down. There simply wouldn't have been the space or the budget to make the set more realistic, and TLG can of course count on any realism-minded AFOLs to have the skills to make the necessary adjustments on their own.

Besides, seeing as effectively one-third of LEGO City's population is made up of firefighters, I doubt there's too much of a danger of a fire getting out of control. =P
    murphquakePenkid11Sharifadougts
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    @Aanchir, only 1/3? =-)
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    @hissingsid99 I got FB at the pre-black friday vip day sale, my first modular. I'm a paramedic with a disgustingly unhealthy dislike of all things fire fighting and i loved the build from start to finish. It's a fantastic set and looks as good displayed as it was enjoyable to build. I think that based on it's non-inclusion in the most recent catalog it's probably very close to EOL and that pushed me to finally buy a modular, but knowing what I do now I'd buy it again even if i was told it would be available for the next 5 years
  • hissingsid99hissingsid99 Member Posts: 10
    Hi again, thanks for all the help, I have to admit I was very much drawn towards FB when I asked the question and after reading all your posts that is one I'm certainly going to get first. As one of you suggested I looked through the manuals on this site and PS appeals to me more, though as one of you pointed out GE will give a bit more depth, so it looks like I'm going to possibly buy all three and just accidently lose/break some ornaments! Thanks again for all the help and I'm getting more than a little excited about my first modular!
    T_LarsFollowsCloselySpaceCakeBrickDancercanuckroostmanuvaindigobox
  • ColtCrazyColtCrazy Member Posts: 28
    Well, my ship plans fell through when I figured out that I wasn't getting the Black Pearl for Christmas, so I ended up falling to Modulars. I bought the FB and the GE...and my wife was given the hint for the TH for XMas. Looking forward to putting a little town plan together.
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Member Posts: 291

it looks like I'm going to possibly buy all three and just accidently lose/break some ornaments!

I laughed, very hard!
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 762
    Has anyone heard any more news/rumours about the Palace Cinema? Is it a corner? Release Date? Etc, etc...
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 476
    ^ I have not, although I am thinking a March release date based on previous modulars....
  • recordmanrecordman Member Posts: 44
    I decided to build MS, GG and CC from my spare parts and felt that the Green Grocer was my favorite. I like it because of the great interior spaces and exterior architectural elements. To me, Cafe Corner needs an interior. I was thinking of installing a little bistro on the first floor.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 762
    If PC is released in March, should I assume GE will be gone by summer? And presumably FB will go some time (early) during next year as well.

So is there a chance we might get a second new Modular towards the end of 2013 in time for the holiday season?
  • beebee Member Posts: 33
    Hi all. I'm usually a licensed builder kind of person. The only other sets that I have that are not licensed are the Winter Village series which I love. I'm thinking about building a modular (fire brigade to start). What do you guys think? How does it compare to building licensed sets and is it worth the money? Does it just look generic when displayed? Thanks everyone!!
    Define "generic"

They are wonderful builds and I think most on here will tell you that they are well worth the money. All of them have enough variation that they are each a unique building experience and they look excellent when displayed.

Just be warned...it's very hard to stop once you do one.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    I concur with iccarus! We got into Lego and after building GG, PS, and FB we decided we had to have them all, including MS!
  • canuckcanuck Member Posts: 88
    Licensed sets are usually just facades with usually good minifigs, Modulars are intricate detailed buildings. Fire Brigade is probably the best modular to start with as it has plenty of detail and fun techniques that you might never of thought of. As for value for money, Modulars are great value for money as LEGO has no licensing fees so the price per piece is better; ie. #10218 vs. #9473 , Pet Shop has the lower price per piece.
  • ZacheranoZacherano Member Posts: 59
    I do love the modular series, so I might not be the best objective judge, but then, I doubt most who have built a modular before would be.... :-)

The modulars are stellar building sets with lots of techniques, unusual uses of pieces, colors, and types of pieces. I think they have only improved with time, though you may be tempted to add to the interior decoration with your own details, as some of them are deficient in that regard, as @canuck mentioned.

Still, I can think of few reasons that would preclude you from purchasing and building a modular. Enjoy!