Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Non-gold 'Gold' in #4181 "Isla de la Muerta"

bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
edited July 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Lots of people have reported being disappointed that the bullion they received in #4181 "Isla de la Muerta" didn't match what is shown on the box - specifically that the gold bars didn't have a chrome finish.

We've had the following comments from the CEC team -
The problem was that the chrome gold parts where not completely ready for the first production run and therefore the sets got packed with the not shiny gold parts - we had then replacement parts ready for consumer service but unfortunately not the bars in time.

There should be coins and bars in Chrome Gold ready as replacement through consumer service and also the new packed sets should contain the right elements.

So if you do not have the right parts in Chrome Gold yet or only received the coins please call consumer service and they will replace the parts with the right ones.

Sorry for all this confusion. We are not happy about this either.
Also -
We have confirmed that customer service has received a stock of the proper items to correct the non-chrome gold for the POTC issue. When calling customer service, explain that you do not want the gold coins, element 70501 instead you need prepack 4631481. This prepack has both the coins and the gold bar in it.
You can find your local customer support phone number here -
http://service.lego.com/en-gb/contactus/Phone.aspx

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    ^ Thanks Bluemoose. Although I'm not sure LEGO will thank you. All three of their service numbers I have for them have been constantly engaged for half an hour now. :)
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    Thanks @bluemoose, i got isla de la muerta and white cap bay, and really wanted the chrome gold bars, this is great news, I must ring customer service now to sort it out.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    edited July 2011
    ^^ I don't suppose that would be because it's the weekend? :o)
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    It's also a holiday weekend (Independence Day aka 4th of July) in the US
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    edited July 2011
    ^^ Possibly, although I'm not sure I've ever phoned and it be engaged before. ) I actually had to check the numbers in my phone since one second they were non-obtainable, the next engaged. Weird.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    ^^^ Do they celebrate July 4 in the UK? :o)
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,488
    edited July 2011
    I bought two Isla de muertas, one came with Chrome, the other with the dull gold. Emailed customers services and they sent out the replacement chrome, but only one bar and set of coins (the set has two). Pretty good service, but I'm not convinced by that explanation. Why not just delay release, or at least make people aware of the mistake?

We also celebrate July 4th, but call it good riddance day... ;p
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    Why not just delay release
    Being tied to the release of the film, there were probably contractual commitments to get sets on shelves by a certain date ...
    Why not ... make people aware of the mistake?
    They probably figured that most people wouldn't notice or care.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    edited July 2011
    We also celebrate July 4th, but call it good riddance day... ;p
    Haha

@Bluemoose - is there any way to tell if you're buying a new or old version?
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    ^ Not that I know of; there might be something in a batch number somewhere on the box, but only LEGO knows. Buy from somewhere that has a high turn over of stock if you want to make sure you get one of the 'proper' sets.
  • war44lockwar44lock Member Posts: 75
    Cool thanks Bluemoose I got this set a week ago and I did feel a bit ripped off but wasn't going to anything about it. Is proof of purchase required because I didn't keep my receipt.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,488
    No, I bought my from zaavi but just emailed lego customer services direct. Was surprised they didn't ask for much other proof.
  • war44lockwar44lock Member Posts: 75
    Ok thats good news, I've never dealt with them before.
  • AScaryOctopusAScaryOctopus Member Posts: 57
    That's kind of relieving, the pearl gold bars were gross. I kind of liked the pearl gold coins, however. Might try and get some of those, as I got the right color when I got my Isla de la Muerta.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Email sent, chrome gold goodness in the mail (hopefully!). Thanks for the info @bluemoose.
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    edited July 2011
    @ascaryoctopus me too, i like the pearl coins, but dislike the pearl bars. might email them about my chrome bars tomorrow, hopefully they won't just send me a set of coins like last time...
    I've been on hold for Customer Services for this for the past 20 mins, and it's still playing 'Just Imagine'...
    ^ Could be one of those cases where it's easier to email, mine are in the post already and it only took me 2 minutes.
    Yes, it probably is. That's what I'll do now. 40 Minutes and my pay as you go balance later, I was just telling them my address and they hung up!
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,021
    edited July 2011
    I emailed last Friday.....after receiving a couple "standard" emails about LEGO quality control....I received an email saying, "Your LEGO parts are on their way from our warehouse in Denmark and should be with you in 7 to 10 business days."

You would think they would have those prepacks available in other countries to send out besides Denmark. Nonetheless, thanks bluemoose for posting info. Cheers!!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,653
    ^^^ Which e-mail address did you send your request to , @atkinsar ?
    ^ used the form here: http://service.lego.com/en-GB/Contactus/Email.aspx

Got an automated reply almost immediately and another response within 7 hours or so to say my replacement coins and bars were on the way. I made sure to mention that I needed prepack 4631481 as per @bluemoose's information.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,653
    ^ Thanks, Andy.
  • BinaryCodeBinaryCode Member Posts: 15
    I called customer service, and asked for 6 of the prepacks, for my 2 Isla De Muertas. The lady reassured me that the prepacks contained the proper amount of gold bars and coins. So I made sure to ask for two. Two weeks later, I received one prepack in the mail, containing 1 gold bar and 4 gold coins.

So I guess I'll have to bother them for the fourth time about getting my gold...