Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Best way to regularly carry a single minifig?

Hi folks..

I created a minifig version of myself that I'd like to take with me whenever I go out (in case of unique photograph opportunities), but since he'll just be in my pocket, I'd like to find a way to keep his smile and other details from getting worn off with all the constant friction. I'm curious if anyone here has any suggestions. Obviously, I want something compact and comfortable enough to sit in my pocket, but I'd like to keep him in good shape, so it should be sturdy enough so as not to negate its existence. I thought of something like a Tic-Tac case, but would it be any better to have him banging around against hard plastic?

Any thoughts are very much appreciated :)

Comments

• pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    How about one of the coffins from the coffin car poly, that way he'll stay put!
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Wrap him in tissue and then place him in a small plastic zipper bag (similar to what Lego sends replacement parts in).
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,929
    A hard plastic case is definitely better than rubbing. But wrap him in soft tissue or bubble wrap before encasing him and it will stop both banging and rubbing.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    edited November 2012
    We use blank matchboxes for packaging at minifigs.me (though we're looking for something more professional). I've had mini-me in my handbag for months. the box is getting worn around the edges, but the minifig is perfect
    tedward
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548

Any thoughts are very much appreciated :)

Have you got one of those Dorling Kindersley books that come with a minifigure on the front? (you can buy them cheap if you look around)

If so, the little plastic minifig-shaped pocket comes out. You could put your fig in one of those, and close it with a bit of tape.
    princedraven
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    I would look at a drug store at the variety of metal and plastic pill cases they have. There is probably one that would fit a minifig and would be a hard material on the outside for protection. Depending on the size you could always get some craft foam or that dark grey foam they use for packing electronics and make a little cutout of him for a perfect fit.

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I say something along the line of @pricey73 's suggestion would be best and keeping it all Lego in one neat little package.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited November 2012
    small wooden boxes of the type you pick up in 'ethnic shops' might do the trick. They seem to make a lot of these in india, and Ive also seen soapstone ones which are very strong. A piece of Neoprene cut to shape inside should do the trick nicely and the whole package could end up looking pretty good if you choose the colours right.

The other possibility which I think would work well is a 'pill box' as @graphite said.
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 785
    Can we see a pic of your minifigure please?
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited November 2012
    Go with one of the small Peli cases, with a custom foam liner; a bit bulky, maybe, but you'll never have to worry about it :-)
    http://www.peli.com/en/cases/peli-protector-cases-total-protection-boxes-micro-case-1010
  • markmushakianmarkmushakian Member Posts: 6
    Wow.. thanks folks, there are a lot of great ideas, here. I actually work at a Lego store, too, so I have access to things rather easily (I know exactly which books @legomatt is referencing), but hearing some of these ideas really helped me wrap my head around it all a bit better.

I had already thought of maybe using a matchbox, but didn't realize it's something others actually used, too :). I really like the ideas of bubble wrap or cutting a custom foam liner, though, which I hadn't even thought of. I'll check out pill boxes, too.

As for a picture of little Minifig Mark, I started his adventures, yesterday, on my tumblr page, if you're so inclined to see him.. http://mrmushakiansneighborhood.tumblr.com/
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    @markmushakian check out some forums devoted to topics on "EDC" or "every-day carry". The people on them range from weird to nutty to awesome but I've learned a ton of great tricks. You don't need something as large as a pelican 1010 or the smallest size otterbox, but something a bit sturdy which can allow the fig to have a little protection so it doesn't get worn out. one thing that comes to mind is the small plastic boxes that come with "spark-lite" firestarters, the company that makes them has a lot of sizes, often used in hospitals flex-something
    @markmushakian you have a nice tumbir page there with some great content, keep up the good work.

I look forward to following little Minifig Marks adventures.

Nick.
  • phatphil55phatphil55 Member Posts: 45
    A babys sock?
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,927
    When I carry my sigfig around, I usually use a film canister. I happened to have a lot to spare after taking a black and white photography course, and it's just the right size for a minifigure with a few small accessories.
    Two of these :)
  • pantboypantboy EnglandMember Posts: 211
    edited November 2012
    I'm not sure if a minifigure would fit, but what about one of these LEGO boxes/

• murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    one of the biggest issues here is actually what if any accessories and headgear/hair will it have... a minifig with plain hair like Han above would fit in a much smaller space than one with something like the witch's or musketeer's hat, or the SW Rebel Helmet (white with black visor).
    This answer is going to be a bit controversial.

How about making one ... out of Lego? You can make it just the right size and the figure can easily be attached to the inside of the box. Maybe a bit of foam will also help him stay in place, if you are likely to jog it up and down a lot.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,089
    ^ or instead of foam you could put in a few of those "tow bar" 2 x 1 plates with the peg and the minifig could grip the pegs of the piece with it's hands to keep it in place, in much the same way as the Carbonite Han piece a few posts above keeps melted Han in place.
    Yeah, there would be a number of ways of securing him inside.

Surely a lego solution is preferable to any other?
    how about a lego coffin?
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    @markmushakian During the last 18 months, I went to trips in Hawaii, USA, India and South Africa and always had a Lego figure with me to take pictures of strange and exotic places. I kept it in a pouch which I had originally bought for my mobile phone. It is similar to this one, but mine was red and a different make.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,051
    How about this: Don't carry one around, Especially don't bring it out on the first date.
    plasmodium
  • markmushakianmarkmushakian Member Posts: 6
    I hate to resurrect this weeks-old post, but I wanted to share my eventual solution. The idea of using Lego to connect my minifig inside a case (as opposed to using the pressure of wrapping or insulation) really interested me. I set about looking for an appropriately sized container, and I just so happened to come across this little plastic case for a small bracelet. I tested it out, and it worked perfectly! The minifig just BARELY misses the cover when it's closed, and I glued a 1x4 plate into the base to keep him secure in place. No, the glue job isn't beautiful, but this is a device of practicality over presentation. I wanted to test it out for a bit before sharing it here, but he's been going everywhere with me (school, work, etc.) and he's traveled great! Plus, with the clear front, if he comes up in conversation (usually with customers, since I do work at a Lego store), I can just pop the case out of my pocket and show him off, without having to take the figure out.

Obviously, my solution comes mostly from circumstance, but there are some great suggestions in this thread, so hopefully it'll benefit others, too :)

Very elegant solution.

:-)
    markmushakian
  • StyerStyer Huntington, WV, USAMember Posts: 73
    That's a great idea, and I love how it cleverly incorporates an "ordinary" LEGO brick.
    markmushakian
  • dr_tengdr_teng Member Posts: 101
    Hah, that's a clever idea and looks really great. I might use something similar to display a few figures.
    markmushakian