Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Black Friday Specials

Comments

• meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    B&N did not apply discounts favorably, but I'm not complaining because it was still a good deal. Picked up four items yesterday, presents for the kids and their cousins. Items were around $42, $32, $22, and $20. Of course the two 50% off sets were the two cheapest. I was hoping they'd pair up the $42 and $32 and the $22 and $20, but they didn't. Oh well, it was only a $5 net difference and I was happy that the coupon did stack with the sale and member discount. This is again why B&N is my favorite place to shop for LEGO now.

Also got a reasonably good deal at TRU (I know, shocker right?). I had pretty much written off TRU but got a $5 reward in the mail yesterday (I think it was the first one I've gotten for 2013 purchases, which tells you how much my shopping there has slowed). I also picked up the TRU Groupon ($10 for $20, still running), and had the 20% off a regular item coupon. Found an item that was only marked up 10%, and all three stacked. The coupon and the $10 off discount from the groupon ended up bringing the cost to about 68% of MSRP (not TRU's jacked up RRP), which isn't bad. Adding the $5 reward on top of it was a nice bonus.
  • BrianBrian Guest Posts: 87
    I had no idea BOGO and30% were stackable. Was the BOGO only yesterday? Could I return my item bought yesterday and get back my 30% coupon?
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    I do not understand the inconsistency with the with holiday set. I have placed many orders, and all of them from the pre sale arrived with the holiday set, and all from the current sale show shipped with the holiday set included. Shows a huge inconsistency when someone who place only two or three orders gets restricted to one set.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    ^Yes, I placed 5+ orders separately just to get the sets and I have had no problems so far.

Regarding the lack of sales this Black Friday, I am not too displeased. I think TLG did the right thing by offering 10% discount on everything over $150 and offering limited sales on surplus sets. TLG seems much more cautious to sell to "resellers" now and are trying to spread the savings to everyone.

One thing that disappointed me this Black Friday was the inconsistent store openings in my area. My local store had kids sitting at the door till 2 am and the advertised Black Friday hours online were all incorrect. I live in Mass, so our stupid blue laws might have affected this, but the incorrect hour listings caused me to miss out on the in-store coupon/10% discount at 2 stores.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    I think the bogo50% off at Barnes and noble was one day only. If its still going you can probably return your one set the buy it back adding another. You will get 30% off the first set and then 50% off the second.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    I just contacted TLG customer service by phone regarding the cancelled Holiday Sets. They state it is only 1 set per household. They apologized for sending the phony email stating I requested the cancellations, I asked them to cancel the orders as they have not yet shipped and they would not let me cancel them. I asked for return labels and they stated they would not send me return labels to return the items. Very poor service. I think this may be the worst customer service experience I have ever encountered.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ You need a manger, they clearly have holiday help that doesn't know the rules.

If you paid using a credit card, then what they are doing is illegal in the United States, per the Fair Credit Billing Act of 1975.

If you take payment via credit card, then you have a legal obligation to provide what you promise. Once you get an order confirmation that includes the item, they may not remove it and still charge you for the items.

They may cancel the order, either before or after, but they can't substitute items or just change the order without permission.

You can call your credit card company and dispute the charges, make note of the FCBA, and that the company sent you an order different from the one you placed.

You'll win that one every single time.

BTW, LEGO also has the right to refuse to sell to you in the future, so you might be better off asking for a manager and going that route, but always keep in mind that a good credit card company will protect you.
    murphquake
  • lowleadlowlead USAMember Posts: 48
    ^^That is most discouraging.

This combined with a quirky website (have to dust off Opera to place an order) makes visiting the LEGO stores all that more productive, as the staff in all the Mass. stores are pretty good.
    ^^That's total crap, did you tell them there are ppl on the forum getting multiples? I've noticed customer service at TLG and many other companies degrading recently. Maybe enough business is coming back, so they don't need to appease every customer.
  • lowleadlowlead USAMember Posts: 48
    ^^Yep - 'customer service' by name only.

UPS is totally useless on the phone as well, just kids with no training. The Customer Centers, on the other hand, are worlds apart - true professionals.
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    meyerc13 said:

B&N did not apply discounts favorably, but I'm not complaining because it was still a good deal. Picked up four items yesterday, presents for the kids and their cousins. Items were around $42, $32, $22, and $20. Of course the two 50% off sets were the two cheapest. I was hoping they'd pair up the $42 and $32 and the $22 and $20, but they didn't. Oh well, it was only a $5 net difference and I was happy that the coupon did stack with the sale and member discount. This is again why B&N is my favorite place to shop for LEGO now.

Also got a reasonably good deal at TRU (I know, shocker right?). I had pretty much written off TRU but got a $5 reward in the mail yesterday (I think it was the first one I've gotten for 2013 purchases, which tells you how much my shopping there has slowed). I also picked up the TRU Groupon ($10 for $20, still running), and had the 20% off a regular item coupon. Found an item that was only marked up 10%, and all three stacked. The coupon and the $10 off discount from the groupon ended up bringing the cost to about 68% of MSRP (not TRU's jacked up RRP), which isn't bad. Adding the $5 reward on top of it was a nice bonus.

What did they do to use the coupon with the groupon? At my TRU that was an issue.... and it wasn't the store, it seemed to be a computer problem as it kept not recognizing the groupon the second the 20% off was applied to the purchase.
    Just as an update I called back and had to go through 2 managers and 1 supervisor to have them cancel the orders. Apparently they had not left the facility after all when I asked them to provide tracking numbers. I can understand limiting promotions to 1 per household, I do not understand not contacting the customer when changing orders after sending confirmations. Customer service fail.
  • MilesMiles Member Posts: 51
    Could it be that the recent 'crackdown' on holiday sets is because they realized they were running out of stock far faster than anticipated?
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,956
    Miles said:

Could it be that the recent 'crackdown' on holiday sets is because they realized they were running out of stock far faster than anticipated?

I doubt it.
    There seems to be an overall 'crackdown'.
    Most stores are only doing 1 box per day per order of $75+.
    Now there is the 1 holiday set rule.

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^I'm assuming this probably has something to do with it, and I don't even have a problem with it automatically showing up in my bag at checkout... but I do take issue with it being in my order confirmation and then having it pulled out from under me without even so much as a notification. As I said, I am aware that it's one per family, and I have no problem with that, but it seems like it should be one per family for all customers, and not just luck of the draw.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    Dougout said:

Regarding the lack of sales this Black Friday, I am not too displeased. I think TLG did the right thing by offering 10% discount on everything over $150 and offering limited sales on surplus sets. TLG seems much more cautious to sell to "resellers" now and are trying to spread the savings to everyone.

I don't think that TLG's changing sales policies reflect caution about selling to "resellers." Rather, I would suspect that TLG simply realizes that it doesn't need to discount certain sets as much in order to sell out excess inventory when the set is about to go EOL. Last year, TLG discounted at least three 10xxx sets (ATOT, IF and EM) on BF by 25% and they were each sold out within a day or so. I have to believe that someone at TLG or [email protected] had the realization that they could have discounted those sets by 10% a few weeks earlier and sold out just as many without having a huge impact on their BF sales.

• gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ My feeling as well.
    ^^Seems like all retailers did that with the Maersk Train this year, so that is definitely true. Part of me believes it's a combination of both reasons. TLG must also know there are more resellers now and it's unfair to other customers to let some people purchase 10+ Emerald Nights all on discount.

I get in far too many conversations with Lego employees about my building habits that seem more like inquisitions now. Most at my local store know me, but when I visit other stores, I get mixed comments. Often times I don't even buy multiples of the same set. I think it's because I know too much about Lego yet don't look enough like the typical Lego builder.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,899
    So far the orders I placed with SAH have all shipped with the holiday set(per my confirmations). I only placed 4 or 5 total orders, but if any of them ship without it, I will be returning the entire order at LEGO's expense. It is silly. I had an unrelated issue with LEGO back with the Fire Brigade missing bag debacle. I had 9 of that set with the affected lot#. I emailed and called customer service and asked for the replacement bag. They would not send it to me without opening the sets and looking. So I told them I wanted to return all 9 of them since it was in the window to do so. They paid to ship all 9 sets back separately and exchanged them for Grand Emporiums and shipped those to me for free rather than just sending me 9 small baggies of parts. All in all they were probably out upwards of $100 or more when you factor all the things that go into returns. Could have been avoided by simply mailing in one package 9 bags of parts that couldn't have cost more than $15 or so tops. I still love LEGO and think they have great customer service, but sometimes the whole corporate philosophy is really crazy.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,548
    I had two orders at [email protected] go through and so far the sets are still on the invoices and the 'order has shipped' emails.
    Now while they may be missing when I get the boxes, at least in one of them, I did not go crazy and try to put in more than 2 orders.
    I'm guessing there may be some kind of judgement as to who can get the extra sets and who cannot.
    I can see limiting the set, but at least do it consistently and without any 'abra-cabra' with the invoicing, or 'judgement calls'.
    Either ensure that anyone who meets the requirements gets their holiday set, regardless of how many orders there are, or ensure your system can remove the extra set during checkout so people KNOW right off the bat that you cannot get more than one.
    Now I'm sure there are ways to try to 'cheat the system' after doing that, but if you login with your account you should be checked to see if you had one already assigned/paid for, etc.
    If that cannot be done then they need to put in big print somewhere (maybe it is in the fine print) that if you try to get multiples of the set the set may be removed from the order without notice.
    pharmjod said:

So far the orders I placed with SAH have all shipped with the holiday set(per my confirmations). I only placed 4 or 5 total orders, but if any of them ship without it, I will be returning the entire order at LEGO's expense. It is silly. I had an unrelated issue with LEGO back with the Fire Brigade missing bag debacle. I had 9 of that set with the affected lot#. I emailed and called customer service and asked for the replacement bag. They would not send it to me without opening the sets and looking. So I told them I wanted to return all 9 of them since it was in the window to do so. They paid to ship all 9 sets back separately and exchanged them for Grand Emporiums and shipped those to me for free rather than just sending me 9 small baggies of parts. All in all they were probably out upwards of $100 or more when you factor all the things that go into returns. Could have been avoided by simply mailing in one package 9 bags of parts that couldn't have cost more than $15 or so tops. I still love LEGO and think they have great customer service, but sometimes the whole corporate philosophy is really crazy.

I think what I find extremely annoying is that there are reports here of people placing nine or ten orders and getting holiday sets with all of them, yet I can't even get three. So my alternative is to now pick one up second hand for what looks to be about thirty dollars... and then also go through the hassle of returning the orders that they say 'cannot be canceled' in spite of the fact that they haven't shipped yet.
  • MilesMiles Member Posts: 51
    This is definitely something that should've been thought of beforehand. It's almost like they're kind of making the rules up as they go instead of having some solid plan to adhere to. Had they been hard and firm from the beginning about the number of sets per household, I don't think everyone would be nearly as stirred up.

(And to those who've had your holiday sets 'revoked', my sympathies. I'd be miffed too.)
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    With so many restrictions on getting the holiday set this year, don't be surprised to see a pile of them on sale on December 26th. It happened with both holiday sets last year, and I managed to buy multiples of each on dec. 26 sale at my local LEGO store.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    edited November 2012
    Dougout said:

... I think it's because I know too much about Lego yet don't look enough like the typical Lego builder.

Do tell, what does the typical Lego builder look like anyway? [g]

^ Lol, I actually bought a bunch this summer at one location I think for $5 ea.
  • MaximillionMaximillion Member Posts: 3
    I think it's worth noting that this is possibly a computer issue, not a management one. It's hard to program one-off deals like that where conditions exist (such as # in stock and household limits) that will work perfectly in all scenarios.

I was thrilled with both my experiences the past week. Online I got the GE last week, by itself, which qualified the order for the 10% off and the free gift. Oddly enough, they shipped the gift out by itself (with the GE still on back order until end of December). Last night I hit the mall in Burlington, MA on a whim. I asked if any of the sets were on sale, and the guy said "Not much that was interesting" and that the % off tickets were long gone. The Mini Modular set was NOT on sale, but the Joust sets (which I've been waiting on for months) were. 2 of those, plus the horse trailer (which hasn't been seen in Target since it was announced) got me 10% off (which did stack, and was even applied to the holiday set!), the holiday set, and the PaB bonus. Even with Mass sales tax, I still saved a bundle.

It's interesting that the Hobbit sets are at WalMart already, but not at the official stores. I wonder how much they ponied up for that privilege...
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,248
    ^ they probably ponied up nothing. It is very typical for retailers to get items in advance with instructions not to sell until a specific dat and they just break the rule and sell them early. Pretty sure it as mentioned that some of the Lego retail stores had them already but couldnt sell them.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    @coolpix Good to know!
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 315
    Why is everyone complaining about the holiday set? The details clearly state one per household and the Lego group also reserves the right to cancel or modify the promotion without notice (giving them the right to remove it from orders). If you split an order in an attempt to get multiples then you are manipulating the system and have no right to complain if you get caught. I don't expect them to catch everyone so inconsistent enforcement is no reason to get upset either. I am actually happy that they are modifying orders so everyone has a chance to get one instead of collectors splitting their orders and getting all the stock.
    edited November 2012
    @gmpirate Me too. Set #1 was widely available for $5 at my local store in June, if I recall. Got a few for the dark red 2x6s for mocs! :)

@brickupdate Actually, they were at $9.99 on Dec. 26th last year, still a good deal in my opinion. We may see a few of these 2012 sets for $14.99 on Dec. 26th, if there's any left after Xmas! Funny thing is that on Dec 23rd last year I tried to get Set #1 at my local store and the manager said they had any left, only Set #2 for orders over $99, only to have them showing up a few days later during the sale.

Why is everyone complaining about the holiday set? The details clearly state one per household and the Lego group also reserves the right to cancel or modify the promotion without notice (giving them the right to remove it from orders). If you split an order in an attempt to get multiples then you are manipulating the system and have no right to complain if you get caught. I don't expect them to catch everyone so inconsistent enforcement is no reason to get upset either. I am actually happy that they are modifying orders so everyone has a chance to get one instead of collectors splitting their orders and getting all the stock.

Your first point is valid, and it's a point I've made several times through this thread. The inconsistency with enforcement, however, is pretty ridiculous, and certainly may be complained about. When you have people wanting two or three sets for personal use and you cancel their orders but go ahead and send twenty out to someone else, there's a huge problem there.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I went to a Target today that still had loads of Black Pearls for $75. A double-sided endcap full, so maybe 24 of them on display. Perhaps more in the back.
    ^ Most of the Targets I've visited have had four, two or none. Only one had eight. I could still go out now and round up a bunch, if I so desired, but there are no huge stocks anywhere that I've seen in my area.
    I don't have this set yet, so I may check a few Targets near me tomorrow and see if there's any in stock still. It would be interesting to see a bunch of these for 50% off after Xmas, if they last that long...
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,299
    My local Target didn't have any. Shame too, because I was going to buy one if they had it.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    I'm calling the ones in the area Monday to run the DPCI. After what Target did this summer "clearancing" these sets after jacking them up, after they were so unreasonable with me regarding a substitute for the Podracers snafu, I won't set foot there again until the Lego is genuinely half off.
  • blake711blake711 Member Posts: 23

I agree the rules were stated clearly. The only issue I see is with the system put in place for enforcement. You don't know what levels some folks went to, hoping to game the system. Different accounts? Different Credit Cards? Different family members. I would assume that is harder to track that then a single person using same account and CC to make multiple orders. Either way some folks will always win at breaking the rules. For me its not worth it.

As for poor customer service mentioned when calling to cancel the orders that is a legitimate grip. Still I find it kind of humorous that someone got caught and it was a pain to cancel their order when they knew full well up front they were trying to skirt the rules.
  • intromissionintromission Member Posts: 197
    Brian said:

I had no idea BOGO and30% were stackable. Was the BOGO only yesterday? Could I return my item bought yesterday and get back my 30% coupon?

Just wanted to report that I was able to do that today, but I think it was supposed to be just yesterday. Cross your fingers you get a happy supervisor.

• lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 416
    Offer a minimal discount, include a promotional set and everyone eats it up. Lego has gotten popular lately. I was lucky to be able to get in on Walmart's deals they had a month ago.

I was charged for the promotional set without credit when I made my purchase in store. I'll see if I can make a return on the rest and keep the promotional set.
    y2josh said:

Your first point is valid, and it's a point I've made several times through this thread. The inconsistency with enforcement, however, is pretty ridiculous, and certainly may be complained about. When you have people wanting two or three sets for personal use and you cancel their orders but go ahead and send twenty out to someone else, there's a huge problem there.

Like it was said, their intention was to limit the holiday set to one per household. Some orders may have slipped through the crack or they may just be checking orders randomly, but whatever it is, they still have every right to cancel those orders. But when have you ever been surprised at Lego's inconsistency?
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    edited November 2012
    ^Actually, I see it as Lego getting "caught" by someone after putting the holiday set on their order e-mails and then cancelling them and saying that the person requested the cancellation of the holiday sets themselves. Maybe they didn't expect him to go through 3 people to get his orders cancelled before they were shipped.

They really need to get a better system in place, you can't show something on an order confirmation e-mail if you're not going to ship it, that's basic business. Make people use a one time code, or put some programming in place to keep the set to 1 per address...I would think TLG can round up a programmer or two to put that type of thing into place.
  • BrianBrian Guest Posts: 87
    @CupIsHalfEmpty and @intromission Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately I was not as lucky and didn't get the BOGO. Although I was able to return my item and got my 30% coupon back.
    blake711 said:

As for poor customer service mentioned when calling to cancel the orders that is a legitimate grip. Still I find it kind of humorous that someone got caught and it was a pain to cancel their order when they knew full well up front they were trying to skirt the rules.

Hehe that was me alright. I found it quite humorous also. However I was not caught and was not trying to skirt the rules either. I have been purchasing from S&H for many years and have NEVER had them limit a promo set or polybag despite what their fine print says. If I wanted to skirt the rules I would simply order as a guest and use different addresses and credit card numbers....I have no interest in taking advantage of TLG like that.
    ^This. Not to mention it's ridiculous to be glad that TLG won't cancel people's orders, as the alternative is for TLG to pay return shipping. And if you get enough of that happening, all their customers suffer in the form of higher prices. It's MUCH more cost effective to simply cancel the orders.
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 967
    I just don't see why someone would want to cancel an entire order over a set that is pretty cool, but not cool enough to warrant owning multiple copies.
    I don't know about other people, but for me, the three sets were for myself and two other LEGO fans in my family. Being that the only reason I paid the higher prices through TLG was to get that set, I have no desire to keep the sets that I could otherwise get cheaper elsewhere.
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227

I have been purchasing from S&H for many years and have NEVER had them limit a promo set or polybag despite what their fine print says. If I wanted to skirt the rules I would simply order as a guest and use different addresses and credit card numbers....I have no interest in taking advantage of TLG like that.

I can see both sides on this one. To your point, yeah it sucks that this time they decided to enforce the rules. Especially because they seem to be enforcing their rules so inconsistently.

I see the other side as well, that it *is* in the fine print, so that's the risk you take when you decide to ignore it. Let me rephrase what you just said and see if you can understand that side of it:

I have been speeding down this road for many years and have never gotten a speeding ticket, despite what the sign says.

Sometimes you break the rules and you get caught, but again, that's the risk you take. It sucks when it happens to you, and the other guy who just passed you going 30 over got away.

• 12651265 Member Posts: 947
    It's funny that folks get so upset about not getting something that they feel they should regardless of the rules. But..but..but..but..but....he got it, so why not me......hahahahaha.
    I'll be pretty surprised if they have these for sale later. I believe the items are being cancelled because the demand for this particular freebie far outweighs the supply. On my end, I know the only reason my father and brother were interested is because the set fits in so nicely with the Winter Village, and I suspect the increased demand is due largely to that aspect of the set.
    ^ Well, your father and brother can order their own, can't they? Or have your aunt or uncle order for you. Have it delivered to your work. I'm sure there is a creative solution out there. A friend that does not live with you???

^ please don't misunderstand. I'm meaning no ill will, but just seems the solution would simply be to return your order and have them get their own somehow.