Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Light Bricks

2»

Comments

• LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,910
    I should start putting my dusty sets under the shower. Just because compressed air is so expensive.
  • scratchdeskscratchdesk Member Posts: 155
    I should start putting my dusty sets under the shower. Just because compressed air is so expensive.
    can always compress your own air ;)
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    In the shower?? What about the stickers, didn't it ruin the stickers?

Some more advice on letting your brick dry; I'd put it in some uncooked rice. It works when I drop my cell phone in water, so it should also do the trick with other small electronics, but definitely get the battery out asap. Then cover it in uncooked rice for a couple hours to a day.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,959
    But remember not to cook the rice.
  • zenparticlezenparticle Member Posts: 38
    Generally speaking, the light brick will be ok since it is an LED and the brick is fairly tight. I don't think shower water would exert enough external pressure to force it into the crevices. However, if the brick was actually submerged, it would not take long for the water to eventually make its way in. The real danger is that water gives an additional path for an electrical charge other than the one intended. In this case, it is a very low voltage and not likely to provide a bad pathway (unless your water has a really high salinity value). Just make sure that it is completely dry before putting it back together. Otherwise, you might doom it to corrosion.

Using the rice will work, but ensure that everyone knows about it lest anyone chooses to make stir fry with your freshly cleaned light brick.
  • LeelaLeela Member Posts: 53
    @zenparticle Thank you, that's what I wanted to know. Useful info for the future too. It's the corrosion that I fear but it looks like the light brick wasn't completely soaked after all. It seems dry but I'll keep it in pieces to dry overnight.
    In the shower?? What about the stickers, didn't it ruin the stickers?
    I don't use stickers, it's printed bricks or death ;) But now that I think of that I put stickered bricks into water many times and nothing ever happened.
    Thanks for reminding me about rice.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,383
    Most electronics will be ok if you let them dry out before turning them on.
    Seeing that the light brick is working means it is probably ok (Im guessing LEGO account for the accidental light brick in liquid due to childs play)
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,302
    or mouths ^
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    wow, lol the shower is exactly what i usta use to de-dust my old MOC Batmobiles.
    Tip- just use cold water...warm seemed to mess with the "clutch power"
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,910
    Where do you dry the cleaned up sets? Leave them outside? I am afraid that dust will stick to the wet bricks.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,302
    I would be afraid water would get in the cracks and start smelling weird.
  • LeelaLeela Member Posts: 53
    I don't keep my sets built forever. I build them, play with them, dispaly them for some time, then they become dusty. I put them under the shower :) and then just let them air dry (in my room). Sure I use cold water (or lukewarm) because it's cheaper ;). They're dry within hours and then I usually break the sets down and sort the parts.
  • ElbazElbaz Member Posts: 7
    My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I'm wondering if I'm planning on storing a light brick for a lengthy period of time (perhaps up to a year) should I unscrew it and remove the battery?
  • goosebogeygoosebogey Member Posts: 35
    I've taken the batteries out of all the light and sound bricks in sets that I've stored away. I think those types of batteries would probably last for years even if you leave them in there but to me it seems safer to take them out, in case they leak or anything like that. They can be a bit fiddly though.
  • cloud0cloud0 SingaporeMember Posts: 101
    Better to remove them than for it to leak. The batteries (lr41) is readily available anyway
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,959
    I've never seen a coin style / watch battery leak. I've left watches in drawers for years and the battery has run down slowly but never leaked.
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    I kept the little plastic tab that isolates the battery to prevent it from accidently running down and I am just going to reinsert that when I put my winter sets in storage till next year.
  • Ben_GoldbergBen_Goldberg Member Posts: 1
    Some types of coin style / watch batteries can leak... for example, those using silver oxide chemistry. If you have that type of battery, it's number would be something like SR41.

If, on the other hand, the number is LR41, then it's a lithium battery of some kind, and much less likely to leak.
    TheLoneTensor
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,704
    ^ Good info. Thanks.
  • catwomanqtcatwomanqt Member Posts: 2
    I bought a used set of the 7477 typhoon vs T rex. the T rex has a light in it that lights up but I dont know how long more the battery can last, does anyone else have this set and do you know if the batteries can be replaceD?