Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Why doesn't LEGO sell Polybag sets directly or even acknowledge their existence?

I'm sure this question has been asked and discussed before, so forgive me, I tried searching to find prior discussions.

I was at the lego store in downtown Chicago a month ago and I asked one of the employees about a polybag set and if they had any or if I could order directly from them. I showed him a picture of the set on my phone, gave him the set number and everything and he basically didn't believe that it was an actual sanctioned lego set.

I told him that these are usually only available as promotions, but some stores carry them. The real root of my question was how the general public was suppose to be aware of these outside of lego websites or seeing them in the store. I think it would be only fair for lego.com to post that these are going to be released and how a collector could get them.

I'm always worried about missing out on the release of a polybag or having to get one on the secondary market because I don't want to purchase a video game.

Comments

• icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 503
    edited November 2012
    My guess is that it is pure sales strategy: The profit of selling the polybags is too low, and keeping them off shelves makes Lego earn more by the customers who buy "the smallest set". Having them in small quantity as pure promotion packages is the only thing that makes sense. Also if an exclusive minifig with a videogame (ex. "Eldron") was available without the game it would remove the effect of seeling a few more games because of the figure. Again, strategy and PR purpose.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    But this still leaves the question of exclusivity with polybags like the NYC Store's Statue of Liberty as a head-scratcher. Am I not to believe that the rest of the U.S. brand store buyers or [email protected] buyers wouldn't want one?
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,233
    LEGO produce a ton of promo stuff that never reaches the retail market; given that LEGO Brand Retail are in many respects separate from LEGO's corporate organisation, there's no reason that the stores should know about this promo stuff (unless they read Brickset, which some employees do !) nor are they able to get hold of it to sell even if they wanted to.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 613
    Legoland/LDC locations are always awash with polys, so it's definitely an unusual decision by Lego to not carry them in LBR stores. At LLCA in the Big Shop, the checkout lane is walled in with impulse stuff including polys, candy, and other things. From a merchandising perspective, for every 1 customer that says to their kid, "we can only affort a $5 set", there are probably 10 customers that grab a $5 impulse set on top of the stack of regular product they are already carrying to checkout. Its the whole definition of "impulse" and its why every major retailer packs their checkout lanes with little trinkets.

When you consider production and transportation costs, my guess is that the polys probably have the highest margin of all sets produced by TLG, so I don't think its a cost issue. I think it really is based on the LBR merchandising exectutive's preference/opinion.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,646
    My understanding is Lego offers polybags to various stores to use in promos like the Shell Ferrari's or stocking stuffers in the seasonal section of Target or to give away in papers like in the UK. Then their brand reaches new audiences and different markets.

Although, I agree, I wish we could buy them at [email protected] I would probably toss one or two in any given order if I could.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,871
    Statue of liberty is now on TRU site for $5.99 I think.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    edited November 2012
    DadsAFOL said:

Legoland/LDC locations are always awash with polys, so it's definitely an unusual decision by Lego to not carry them in LBR stores. At LLCA in the Big Shop, the checkout lane is walled in with impulse stuff including polys, candy, and other things. From a merchandising perspective, for every 1 customer that says to their kid, "we can only affort a $5 set", there are probably 10 customers that grab a $5 impulse set on top of the stack of regular product they are already carrying to checkout. Its the whole definition of "impulse" and its why every major retailer packs their checkout lanes with little trinkets.

Legoland and LDC stores are ran by Merlin, not LEGO. So different retail network.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    ^^Don't see it there pharmjod. You could also lump the NYC Taxi in that argument. Or the friggin' batmobile mini. Who would not buy that one?
  • BeardedCastleGuyBeardedCastleGuy Member Posts: 127
    By the Batmobile mini are you referring to #30161? If so it's currently available @ Target in the Holiday/Christmas section.
    There are some poly's I wish were more available but I catch as catch can.
  • wesman21wesman21 USAMember Posts: 13
    Thanks for all the help guys. As a follow up, I guess their is no way to know when they are coming out without surfing the web. Is this correct?

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    A lot of polybags only come to light when the instructions are made available on the LEGO website, sometimes this is months in advance of them being released (some never get released). Your best bet is keeping an eye on Brickset which lays announces significant additions of new instructions.
  • ThisIsMyCupThisIsMyCup Member Posts: 156
    an interesting thing to note, if you call up lego CS, they will let you order the pieces needed to make the poly, i did it with the ADU Walker. i know its not quite the same to collectors, but for the builders its a nice option.
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    I found the Aircraft Mechanic set on E-bay for WAYYYY too much. I was able to get all the pieces from Lego for a few $$$ more than the set was when it was available. I dont really care that I didnt get the little box and instructions I just wanted the mechanics working on the jet engine with the cart and cherry picker. If you dont keep the bags for the poly sets then get the part list and acquire the pieces from what ever source you desire.

Here is the TRU Statue of Liberty Polybag
    toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12776826&searchURL=false

Correction, it is $4.99. I ordered just 1 with my elves yesterday. I honestly prefer the minifig version on a pedestal/base but the brick built version is cute.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,233
    pharmjod said:

Here is the TRU Statue of Liberty Polybag
    toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12776826&searchURL=false

Correction, it is $4.99. I ordered just 1 with my elves yesterday. I honestly prefer the minifig version on a pedestal/base but the brick built version is cute.

Hmmm - can't say I was especially impressed....

http://gimmelego.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/no-consolation.html

:-)
    pharmjod
    ^agreed... hence the reason I only ordered 1 :)
    Thanks Pharmjod. Strange that TRU would have it, but nothing at [email protected]
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    @prevere, the NYC "exclusive" Taxi & Statue of Liberty polybags are both for sale at the Times Square TRU, and i've seen the SoL in local stores in Queens now too. Reminds me I need to go to Rockefeller tomorrow night, still haven't gotten the CMF SoL magnet.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,505

Hmmm - can't say I was especially impressed....

http://gimmelego.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/no-consolation.html

:-)

I agree. That set is to the real State of Liberty what the Sydney Opera House set is to the real one.
    murphquakedrdavewatford
    At least they could do an architecture Liberty. That would be much better. And an Eiffel Tower in that size would be great.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,505
    > "even acknowledge their existence"

As to the acknowledge their existence part, why should they acknowledge what they do not sell? Most shops don't tell you information on what they don't sell.

Although I have found they do acknowledge them - when I asked in a Lego Store about polys (this was in the US) they said they don't stock them and I should try Target and TRU.