Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Greetings from KC

I have posted here for a few weeks but thought I would finally introduce myself. I grew up with Lego in the early 80s and had a variety of sets from various themes. I mainly had smaller sets that I could afford with my allowance or gift money. My largest and favorite set was 6392. I entered the dark ages in the mid 80s when I started middle school. I had a brief reprieve in 2000-01 because a local store had a lot of star wars sets on closeout and I got one of just about everything they had. I also picked up several mindstorms 1.5, one 2.0, and all the add on sets. That kept me satisfied for a while and I went dark again. Then in late September my mom got 7942 for my nearly 4 year old son. He loved it so I looked for my old sets, which I kept, though I have so far only located the ones from 2000-01 and most of those are mindstorms and technic. So after I learned of the local lego store, we have made a number of visits picking up various small sets for him and taking him to kids events. On our third visit I made my first purchase for myself, 5770. I too loved it and have since picked up several more creator sets, modulars, and holiday sets for myself and several bricks and more sets to seed my son's collection. My wife even picked up 5766 for herself but has yet to open it. I am encouraged by that but I am not sure our budget can accommodate a third addict... Time will tell.

Comments

• bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 792
    edited November 2012
    Welcome aboard @Picopirate!
    This is THE place to learn about the buying and collecting aspect of the LEGO hobby. Once you begin building models of your own creation you'll want to head to flickr to upload pics of or builds and learn from other builders by looking at their MOCs and interacting with them on flickr.

Love your avatar. I am a huge baseball fan as well and noticed you were at Nationals Park with a Brewers cap and your username here has Pirate in it AND this sot says greetings from KC. So which team do you root for? Nats, Brewers, Pirates or Royals?

BTW, the Brewers glove logo is the best in all of sports in my opinion. You've got the M and B for the team initials and together they make a glove. Best logo ever! I'm a Mets fan though.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 317
    @bmwlego I was born and raised in Milwaukee so I am first a Brewers fan but I love all baseball. I have friends and family throughout the rest belt so those tend to be the teams I follow most. KC is now my AL favorite. They are very similar to Milwaukee; similar size market, years of sucking resulting in real fans rather than bandwagon fans, and the coach and several players use to be Brewers.
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    Welcome. I really enjoy heading to the Lego store in Overland Park. I don't get to do it very often since I am 250 miles away, but I have made it a day trip before. SO much fun!
    @dneul on your next trip you should check out lego land. I have yet to go there (it is a bit pricey) but my wife took our son one day when they were running a special and he loved it and still talks about it.
    I took the kids back this summer and was deeply disappointed. The mini land was cool but they had technics for boys and duplo cupcake pieces for girls and a bunch of duplo in the foam circle thingys. The activity jungle gym was gated and kids had to be assisted out, the food was outrageously priced. They had almost no regular bricks to play with... Certainly not worth $18 each. We have been to Chicago lgdc a few times and winter haven legoland in Florida. The store also doesn't have any VIP points and you have to deal with down town kc traffic...

I make the lego store a whole days trip. Last time I was there, I was packing cups for 6.5 hours, my husband couldn't get ahold of me because of a dead zone so he looked up the number and I got a call in the lego store... The employees never really had a customer get a call before.
    Eek. Look like I will be staying away then. Like I said, my son loved it but he was 3.5 yrs when he went. My wife was miffed that whole rooms were closed to the paying public because of visiting school groups but let it slide because she only paid half price. It sounds like they need to get their act together.
    They also only let you ride one of the rides once because it was "an entrance " ride. The ones with the penis shaped guns. Seriously... The end of a lego hand gun looks like a penis....