10233 Horizon Express

13»

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,826
    Can't decide if I will buy two to combine or moc a small tunnel for it to be exiting to cover up the lack of a trailing locomotive. Either way, I can hardly wait for this one!
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    ^You could probably reconfigure #4204 The Mine set for something like that.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    Looks like there is a chance that #10233 could be hitting the shelves in January 2013. They list a price for the set in CDN currency at $169.99.

http://shop.lego.com/en-CA/Horizon-Express-10233
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259

Looks like there is a chance that #10233 could be hitting the shelves in January 2013. They list a price for the set in CDN currency at $169.99.

http://shop.lego.com/en-CA/Horizon-Express-10233

Once again TLG's global pricing is all over the place. I haven't really taken much note about CDN prices before, but it is actually cheaper in Australia. It is listed at $159.99 AUD (Which is $163.50 CDN). But the VW Camper #10220 (Similar Piece Count and target market) is $169.99 AUD vs. $129.99 CDN, then look at something like the Imperial Shuttle #10212 which is $449.99 AUD vs. 309.99 CDN.

But as with most things LEGO, I will most likely wait till this set is on sale from a US or EU online store, unless I can find it here for 30%+ off.
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    I LOVE!!!!! Lego trains. However I'm not to keen on this set. I was hoping for another steam engine next year. Guess I'll just continue my search for an affordable Emerald Night set.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    ^ there will be .. have a look at lone ranger for next year
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    edited December 2012
    Ya but thats a licensed kit. I would like another Creator train kit. Perhaps a 2-8-4 all black Nickel Plate Bershire........#765.
  • typotypo Member Posts: 185
    It looks like the release has been moved up a day. I'd like to see more of this trend as the release gets closer...

shop.lego.com/en-US/Horizon-Express-10233
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    crazycarl said:

I LOVE!!!!! Lego trains. However I'm not to keen on this set. I was hoping for another steam engine next year. Guess I'll just continue my search for an affordable Emerald Night set.

Same here, to me this set looks more like a playset for kids, whereas the emerald night and maersk train look more like AFOL sets.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 312
    The Horizon Express does look like a fun build but I don't care much for the looks. I am actually looking forward to the likely lone ranger train. Since the red cargo train was EOLed, I suspect it might even be powered.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
    typo said:

It looks like the release has been moved up a day. I'd like to see more of this trend as the release gets closer...

probaly somewhat related to the calendar - Dec. 31st is a Monday, which makes sense.
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    dougts said:

typo said:

probaly somewhat related to the calendar - Dec. 31st is a Monday, which makes sense.
    The release date for 10937 is now 18th december in the UK, although i don't see the point as last orders for christmas delivery are the 18th.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    edited December 2012
    ^ A small attempt to keep up trade in the Brand Stores until their sale starts.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888

crazycarl said:

Same here, to me this set looks more like a playset for kids, whereas the emerald night and maersk train look more like AFOL sets.
    I said this the first time I saw this set. Such a shame to see Maersk go, hopefully the Lone Ranger will make up for it.
    Tonight at midnight, this may be available for purchase...
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    Woot! Woot! All aboard!

Just wish they had got this out 2 weeks earlier, would have been nice for Christmas. Well, the good news is there is no rush as it will be out for awhile :-)
    ^Yeah, as hard as it is to do I'll be waiting as well...
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349
    Just need to save up some VIP points to get this at a good deal...
    I wonder when Amazon will get it?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,826
    I will get it with double VIP and free shipping in March. Worth waiting a bit more for the extra savings
  • CortezCortez Member Posts: 19
    Desperate for a LEGO train for my boy but this just isn't it. It is very boring aesthetically.

It's a real shame EN was dropped. I can't believe that model didn't sell well enough to make it viable.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 766
    edited December 2012
    This set is beautiful and I can tell why it is under the new Expert line. One page into the instruction booklet and you'd think you were 3 or 4 pages in. I opened the booklet and turned to the 2nd page on accident. There were so many elements placed down in the pic that I thought I opened book #2!
    The chevron? pattern on the sides of the engine are all cheese slopes and this step required more skill than any City train or Creator set I've ever built so this combined with the large amount of elements used in each step add up to a more challenging build than any non-exclusive set out there. After an hour of building time I am still working on the engine and Book #1. Looking at perhaps a 3-4 hour build time when all is said and done.
    murphquake
  • hleonffuhleonffu USAMember Posts: 229
    @bmwlego pretty soon you are going to get all the other train sets. Will get this on my next trip to the store. Are you adding this to the Stamford display?
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    Cortez said:

Desperate for a LEGO train for my boy but this just isn't it. It is very boring aesthetically.

It's a real shame EN was dropped. I can't believe that model didn't sell well enough to make it viable.

EN is a great train, not for s kid though. Also, it followed the two year cycle and sold quite well.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 766
    Finished this set today in just over 3.5 hours. Learned some new building techniques that should serve me well (as long as I can remember them or which set instruction booklet to check!).
    The trains are heavy. This set is quite substantial when compared to the other train set I've built (Holiday Train). It comes with stickers for door windows to mark each car. The stickers go from 0-9 just in case you want to build 9 passenger cars for this train!
  • UTtoyfanUTtoyfan Member Posts: 14
    I also finished this today as well, and added power functions (no lights though, that may be too much for me, lol!). It is a great build for sure, like bmwlego already mentioned. Gonna go test it out on my track now!!! :)
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Hubby working on #10233, it has some interesting techniques.
  • Superman24742Superman24742 Cincinnati Ohio USAMember Posts: 25
    I built this today and find it to be one of my favorite sets, lots of good build technics, not very repetitive, fits perfect into their expert lite, lots of great uses of bricks. Now I just need to get some power functions.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,076
    I plan to buy the Horizon Express and i maybe wanna PF it,since i'm a absolute Noob when it comes to PF may i ask if the PF pieces included in the (red) Passenger Train (don't remeber the set# ) will work with the Horizon Ex.?
  • Chang405Chang405 Member Posts: 81
    @diggydoes yes it will work. As will the PF included with the yellow cargo train and red cargo train.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,076
    Chang405 said:

@diggydoes yes it will work. As will the PF included with the yellow cargo train and red cargo train.

Thanks for the quick answer! So no extra components needed?
  • hleonffuhleonffu USAMember Posts: 229
    ^ no. You can reuse the components from passenger, yellow or cargo trains to power up the Horizon Express. The remote control will work as well. Although I have not purchased this set, yet, I am sure the manual has the components you need.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Chang405 said:

Ahh, I knew there was a reason why I picked up that #7938 Passenger Train for €60.
    Diggydoes
  • TockoTocko Member Posts: 24
    ^ +1
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    I was looking at an old thread and came across a link to James Mathis page on Brickshelf. I thought this looked rather familiar, look at the date it was uploaded. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=17599
    LegobrandonCP
    Wow, along time ago. Very similar to say the least.
    Has anyone else tried to motorise it?
    I tried 1 motor, it was not fast enough, then tried 2 motors, one in each end and got a lot of wheelspin as they ran at slightly different speeds. What worked best in the end was 2 motors in 1 end attached to 1 battery. Nice and fast :)
    You'll need to run the cable through the door though, to get the motor the right way round so they're both going the same way.
    What power platform are you using? So far I have had 9V and 12V platforms under it and it runs fast enough, for me anyway. It is a heavy set as far as trains go, that is part of the problem.
    edited February 2013
    PF.

When I say not fast enough, I mean in order to look like a high speed train. With 2 motors you definitely can't run it a full speed on the corners, even shallow ones. Anyway, it's so cheap to add a second motor it's worth it for the acceleration.
    That's why I don't worry about having two motors with just the one set for any of the trains. If it tends to derail on corners, that's too fast. The HE does have a lot of swing out to it because of it's design. I can't have any trains on sidings because it tends to hit the trains that are sitting there when it goes by. Around the corners that is.
    With 1 motor its too slow, it hardly moves round tight corners. Needs 1.5 motors ideally.