Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Black Friday Specials

LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
edited November 2012 in Shopping USA/Canada
Thought it was time to have a Black Friday Specials thread, what upcoming deals do people know about?

I'll start with Walmart:

http://blackfriday.com/stores/walmart/flyers/black-friday?utm_campaign=SearsBlackFriday_Nov07&utm_medium=email&utm_source=alert

Click on Page 10, there is a LEGO set and a DUPLO set listed for $15 each, but I can't quite make out the set numbers. They do not appear to be any sets I've seen before, not square boxes.

Anyone know anything about this?

I do recall that last year, the 5512 set was an amazing deal at $30 for 1,600 parts. At least I think it was $30, either that or $25 or something crazy like that. If this set has 1,000 parts for $15, that would strike me as a deal.

Comments

• thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 444
    edited November 2012
    If the picture is right, I believe it is #5749 which is 650 pieces (and the Duplos are #5748).

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=5749-1
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    You're right, that is what it is... 2.3 cents a part, a good deal, but not as nice as last year's 5512 set. But I think that deal won't return, given how we've seen the price go up on this year's sets. :(

Still, why am I complaining, that set is listed at 25.99 pounds in the UK, which works out to about $43 USD, making $15 a pretty darn good price! :)
    thenos
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    Not bad for $15. I wonder if WM Canada will match the price to keep Canadians away from shopping in America?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,251
    I always like the two large, usually already EOL sets Target does every year. Looking forward to seeing what those will be
  • allmybricksallmybricks Member Posts: 156
    The Walmart ad is out in the US.

Looks like #5749 Creative Building Kit (650pc) will be $15. #5748 Creative Duplo Building Kit is $15 as well. Not quite as good as the 1600 pc #5512 XXL box for $30 last year, but I'll definitely take some of these as good filler pieces!
    Didn't see this thread when I posted the other one - sorry.

It looks like K-Mart in the US will have Buy One Get One 50% Off on City, Monster Fighters, and Hero Factory. Friday 5AM - 11AM I think... not really all that exciting.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 674
    Yeah, not as good as last time, but still worth picking up a couple. It's like a good garage sale find but all mint pieces.
    Target is listing #4184 Black Pearl and #5609 Duplo Train for $75 each on Black Friday. No all that exciting either...
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 898
    The LEGO store told me that they would be having scratch off tickets for those people in line on Black Friday. Each ticket would be either 10%, 20%, or 50% off. If you get one of the lucky 50% off tickets, they let you get out of line, pick up more stuff, and then go automatically to the front of the line again. When they run out of tickets, everyone gets 10% off.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258

Target is listing #4184 Black Pearl and #5609 Duplo Train for $75 each on Black Friday. No all that exciting either...

Online or in store? I thought all their BPs were cleared out this summer.

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,425
    Stores get stock back in for this sale. At least that is what happened for the past few years.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,082

Thanks for the heads up. I have yet to pick up a BP.

• meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    I can confirm that the Black Pearl is back on the shelf at my local Target, and it hasn't been around for a while now. I suspected BF when I saw it the other day. Too bad this 'deal' doesn't approach the deals that were available on that set earlier this year when it went on clearance everywhere. 25% off is the discount at which I buy LEGO year round, not enough to get me anywhere near a store on Black Friday.
    pharmjod
  • staffmarkstaffmark Member Posts: 44
    This is my 1st black Friday, yet for some reason I am not remotely surprised that these deals are let downs- for some reason I suspected it. Were the discounts significantly more substantial in the past?
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    Hey if we all boycott BP/BF at Target can you imagine the stacks of 50% off on Dec 26?!?! I can...
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    Lets cross our fingers that the modulars and UCS go on sale. I could use a death star or imperial SD.

Hey if we all boycott BP/BF at Target can you imagine the stacks of 50% off on Dec 26?!?! I can...

That will be unlikely due to the masses of weekend warriors that will try to buy these and put them on eBay to make 10 dollars (after fees)
    Legoboy
  • HothgarHothgar Member Posts: 25
    They didn't on 7327, so I am hopeful.
    edited November 2012
    Was Scorpion pyramid the one for last year? I thought it was Trolls Mountain Fortress and something else.. or am I that far off in BF sales?

Because BF sales are advertised heavily, where as I thought the Pyramid just was on clearance earlier this year.
    7327 was bf last year for 65, and it was selling at 110-120 on bf on the secondary market. Troll and galactic enforcer was 2 years ago
    Hothgar said:

7327 was bf last year for 65, and it was selling at 110-120 on bf on the secondary market. Troll and galactic enforcer was 2 years ago

Wow, Ok thanks for the correction...
    Did not realize that the pyramids were at BF last year.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    Last year's sets were #7327 Scorpion Pyramid and #8078 Portal of Atlantis, each for $64.99. It wasn't that great of a deal considering Target had these widely available on 50% clearance a few months earlier in the summer of 2011.
    At least here target had neither 7327 or 8708 on clearance prior to January 2012. Walmart also had 7327 in the post Christmas clearance last year, but Walmart had 8708 post Christmas clearance 2 years ago.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 815
    Saw tons of BP at Target yesterday. In years past you'd get a hundred dollar set for fifty bucks. This deal is not enough to get me down the LEGO aisle at Target on BF. I'll likely be there for their electronics deals though but at least I don't have to worry bout LEGO there.
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    ^ Agreed. Their LEGO Star Wars deal a few weeks ago was much better.
  • ktbeth417ktbeth417 Member Posts: 1
    So for black friday, at the Lego stores, which types of items do they usually put on sale? And can the sale items get the extra % off from the scratch cards as well?
    edited November 2012
    ^-- as explained in many threads, the actual sale items for BF is usually speculation, with the assumption that anything they want to sell out of their stocks this year will be in there as well. Usually for around 20% off.. I think you also get the 10 % off of that (or whatever you get for BF scratch card) as well.
    So it appears that anything left of PoTC, HP, and possibly Dinos will be listed in a BF sale, as well as some other sets like the Technic Excavator and Red Cargo train and Maersk train, and MMV (IF they last until then and do not sell out before the BF date), again all speculation but many different sources seem to be pointing to those sets to go.
    I am speculating that the City Airport will be gone as well as maybe the City 'space' stuff, but that is just a wild guess

• doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    ^ I wonder if they will ship sets that are to be discounted on BF to their physical stores to sell. I have not seen any of those on your list in my local store for a long, long time. I am also presuming IS will be discounted, but again it has not been on the shelf for months. If not I also assume some other slower moving sets that are not due for EOL will be discounted (maybe Hoth Base, Mini Modulars etc)...it looks like the best action may well be online this year.
    ^--Im guessing they would if it is stock online when they attempt to order it., although you would need to get a salesclerk to have enough time to order it online for you on a BF.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Toys R Us deals:

$27.99 LEGO 3-Tier Sorting System [EarlyBird]
    $47.99 LEGO Alien Conquest Alien Mothership (7065) [EarlyBird]
    $53.99 LEGO City Space Center (3368) [EarlyBird]
    $49.99 LEGO Classic Roadway Play Table
    $32.99 LEGO Creator 3-in-1 House Building Set (5891) [EarlyBird]
    $38.99 LEGO Dino Triceratops Trapper (5885) [EarlyBird]
    $11.99 LEGO Duplo Bricks & More - Brick Box (5416) [EarlyBird]
    $32.99 LEGO Duplo Disney Pixar Cars 2 Big Bentley (5828) [EarlyBird]
    $29.99 LEGO Duplo Disney Pixar Cars Siddeley Saves the Day [EarlyBird]
    $9.99 LEGO Games Heroica Caverns of Nathuz [EarlyBird]
    $6.49 LEGO Games Heroica Draida Bay [EarlyBird]
    $12.49 LEGO Games Minotaurus [EarlyBird]
    $41.99 LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts (4867) [EarlyBird]
    $10.19 LEGO Hero Factory Breez (6227) [EarlyBird]
    $90.99 LEGO Ninjago Fire Temple [EarlyBird]
    $45.49 LEGO Ninjago Skull Truck [EarlyBird]
    $20.99 LEGO SpongeBob Krusty Krab Adventures (3833) [EarlyBird]
    $49.99 LEGO Trundle Storage Unit
    $43.39 LEGO Work Station 6-Cases [EarlyBird]
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    At this point, I think these stores realize that people treat Black Friday like an event, regardless of how good the deals are. It's like the Super Bowl, they don't care about the game, they just want to tailgate.

So they offer these "deals" that are not all that amazing, and you know what, they will sell a lot of them anyway!

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Yes, that might be true, but people will figure that out at some point. Or you'd think they would, but maybe not! :)
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,985
    ^^ I think it is more than that, though.
    All the articles I have read, stas that consumers plan on spending more this holiday season.
    While the economy is not recovered, it is also not in the condition it was 4 years ago where during the holiday season there was a drop in consumer spending. The deals we saw 3-4 years back where stores were doing anything to convince consumers to enter their stores and spend, I do not think are going to be there.
    Where I do think things could heat up is with online competition, as stores fight for that growing market. I have been wondering if that was part of what we saw with Walmart in October, or if that was stock related. In addition, if spending does not go as predicted, we could see bigger cuts as the season progresses.

I have been noting that with the Barnes and Noble coupon during this run-up to black Friday. The coupons have been nowhere as good as in past years. In the past K have been used to seeing 30-40 percent off coupons And my membership card could be used as well. This season I have seen 20% at the most. My point being, it isn't even the Black Friday deals that have been lacking, but other ones as well.

My only contribution to sales, is more the FYI on 'lack' of deals, which for me is sometimes just as beneficial to know about. I have been checking the online Target coupons for toy coupons and have not been finding anything useful for stacking with Lego sale prices.

For those that received mailers in the last few weeks, don't forget about any coupons from the Toys-R-Us or Target mailers. It isn't much, but it may help lower black Friday prices a bit more.
    (although, I do not recall the expirations on those, or the fine print. :-) )

edited November 2012

At this point, I think these stores realize that people treat Black Friday like an event, regardless of how good the deals are. It's like the Super Bowl, they don't care about the game, they just want to tailgate.

So they offer these "deals" that are not all that amazing, and you know what, they will sell a lot of them anyway!

That and people always want a 'good deal' ie sale price even though it was either cheaper before or should be cheaper before buying..
    People want to compete and fight for stuff.. That explains why people fight over 40 dollar Blu ray players and cheap stuff that is a good price but breaks often.
    Way back when I worked retail I saw people buying every last one of a knock off VCR and most came back that weekend as returns....
    People can just be silly and BF is a great lesson in this.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 898
    What's the Barnes N Noble BF sale? Isn't it Buy one, get one Free? Or is that just something my wife told me to get me all excited?
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ lol, That's what she has to do to get you excited??
    Penkid11LegobrandonCPLegoFanTexas
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    simple dress works for me :D
    LegoFanTexaskylejohnson11
  • QuabbinHikerQuabbinHiker Member Posts: 10
    The Wal-Mart near me is clearing out sets every day! I picked up 3 Alien Mothership (7065) for $19.99 each, and 2 T-Rex hunters (5886) for $14.99!!

Insane price slashing, I think this is the store by store "managers choice" price slashing to get rid of stock. They were in the clearance isle and were sticking out like golden nuggets to me - I could hardly contain my excitement. I am checking this store twice a day for awhile now.

What is this Barnes and Noble buy one get one free sale?!?! Is this confirmed?

btw: ToysR Us black Friday "Deals" are pathetic.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,985
    Last year it was a percentage off coupon at Barnes and Noble. I think it was 50% off. The wording was not clear, so people got some good deals with using it on their entire purchase. Some stores did that and others did not.
    I would not expect that this time at all. I had been waiting for even a 30% this fall, and there has not even been that...20% has been the biggest discount code.
    I am used to seeing 30 and even 40 % coupons by this time....and nothing.
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    Heard TRU's doorbuster will include 40% off all lego.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    pvancil27 said:

I would be beyond shocked if that happened. Of course, knowing TRU, mark everything up 30% above MSRP and then discount 40% off to create the illusion of savings. I'm sure shoppers would still buy a ton.

• 51_Fifty51_Fifty Member Posts: 9

The Wal-Mart near me is clearing out sets every day! I picked up 3 Alien Mothership (7065) for $19.99 each, and 2 T-Rex hunters (5886) for $14.99!!

Insane price slashing, I think this is the store by store "managers choice" price slashing to get rid of stock. They were in the clearance isle and were sticking out like golden nuggets to me - I could hardly contain my excitement. I am checking this store twice a day for awhile now.

What is this Barnes and Noble buy one get one free sale?!?! Is this confirmed?

btw: ToysR Us black Friday "Deals" are pathetic.

The Walmart clearance prices are store by store and are the managers choice. Just the other day the store closest to me had a bunch of toys all being priced at $1.00 each, no Lego but some cool Star Wars diecast.

• nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited November 2012
    pvancil27 said:

It appears you are correct! The ad appears to state entire stock, though it still seems a little ambiguous.

http://bfads.net/Ad/Toys-R-Us-2012/Page3
  • cbaker1974cbaker1974 Member Posts: 150
    nkx1 said:

pvancil27 said:

It appears you are correct! The ad appears to state entire stock, though it still seems a little ambiguous.

http://bfads.net/Ad/Toys-R-Us-2012/Page3
    Typically when the ad looks like this, only the sets pictured qualify for 40% off...just from experience. Last year they also had select sets in the 40% off range with a similar ad, but only those sets qualified. Given how selective TRU has been with some of the BOGO50 and B2G1 deals this year (and growing exclusions list), it's really doubtful the entire stock is 40%.

• nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited November 2012
    ^Good points. It does seem too good to be true. Even if the 40% off sale included all sets in stock, I'm guessing all desirable sets would magically disappear prior to the sale, or the regular prices would be jacked up so high that the deals would be marginal anyway (like pharmjod mentioned).
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    It's 40% off the sets listed, and it's discounted from the TRU regular price, which in most cases amounts to a savings of 30% or less off of MSRP.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    All those TRU sets have a web#, which if that is an online coupon code that needs to be entered at the check out, International customers will not be able to purchase as we get sent to a third party checkout with no spot to enter such codes :( luckily I would probably only be after a few extra Apple Tree House's so I won't feel like I am missing out to much.
  • CrazyaddictCrazyaddict Member Posts: 35
    @rocao @cbaker1974 the tru price is insane! check out what they go for after the so-called "40%" off sale. hogwarts for $42! that implied tru price of $70. the dino triceratops is going for $65 tru price, and the alien mothership for an insane $80!!! calling it 40% off is insane, it's more like less than 10% off if you're lucky sale. i would just skip TRU for BF.
  • SiESiE Member Posts: 238
    Anybody know when we will find out what is discounted?

Also will the black friday deals be available to the public at 9:00 or is it planned to start at a later date?
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684

.... calling it 40% off is insane, it's more like less than 10% off if you're lucky sale. i would just skip TRU for BF.

Agreed. I wouldn't bother with TRU on BF either. In previous years, TRUs deals tend to get a bit better as you get closer to Christmas. That's when you start to see the BOGO 50% off deals or discounts on the big SW sets. Not usually that great, but better than the BF deals.