Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• emirikolemirikol Member Posts: 3
    I have seen that Pirates of the Caribean 8181(Isla de la muerta) and 4192 (Fountain of youth) are a bit more expensive at any European amazon store than its original RRP. What do you think about that, should we buy it for it's original RRP?
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I was just going through my collection to see what I could sell off (to make more room for more!) and found some of the 7754 - Home One Mon Calimari Star Cruisers. These were "exclusive" sets, "limited edition" and had a few Star Wars minifigs that were exclusive to this set, including a Lando.

You can now find them on eBay for selling for 20% BELOW MSRP.

I just like to remind myself that not everything is gold when it comes to the aftermarket price of "retired" sets, even exclusive Star Wars sets with exclusive figures.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,360

I was just going through my collection to see what I could sell off (to make more room for more!) and found some of the 7754 - Home One Mon Calimari Star Cruisers. These were "exclusive" sets, "limited edition" and had a few Star Wars minifigs that were exclusive to this set, including a Lando.

You can now find them on eBay for selling for 20% BELOW MSRP.

I just like to remind myself that not everything is gold when it comes to the aftermarket price of "retired" sets, even exclusive Star Wars sets with exclusive figures.

depends where your at, I sold mine on ebay uk for 20% above rrp and 65% above what I paid for it
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    @roxio - good point. I bought all of mine at 50% or 70% off, as I imagine many of the folks on this forum did. Which explains that lack of after-market price increase.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Yes, and of course there was a reason they were 50% off, no one wanted them in the first place.

There have been a few exceptions to that rule, where 50% off items went way up in price (2509 and 2260 are prime examples), but as a general rule, items get put on 50% off for a reason.

I'm looking at you, stack of PQ and Atlantis sets!!! :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,169
    It did not help the 7754 that Admiral Ackbar was also in a magnet set and that the set was really overpriced when it came out of LEGO in the first place for what it was.
  • BillybrownBillybrown UKMember Posts: 748

^ Yes, and of course there was a reason they were 50% off, no one wanted them in the first place.

There have been a few exceptions to that rule, where 50% off items went way up in price (2509 and 2260 are prime examples), but as a general rule, items get put on 50% off for a reason.

I'm looking at you, stack of PQ and Atlantis sets!!! :)

I bought a dozen 10155 Maersk container ships last year for £65 each - literally half price and I struggle to sell them for the original retail price.

• nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited November 2012
    ^That's surprising regarding #10155. They're much more expensive in the US. On ebay, the cheapest one is currently $240, double MSRP. Bricklink isn't much better...
    Massive difference there then! I just put it down to the fact that this was the 2nd version of it for the reason why its not done well here.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    I sold my #10152 Maersk last week for $209. #10155 has different color blue bricks. Maybe this and because it was a limited number first release.
  • leego76leego76 Chandlers FordMember Posts: 360
    I think the one thing that always strikes me in this thread is that there is a big difference either side if the Atlantic, it's harder to pick stuff up quite so cheap in the uk and then I don't think it appreciates quite so much. Sweeping statement I know and of course there are exceptions but its probably true.
    Cam_n_Stu
    leego76 said:

I think the one thing that always strikes me in this thread is that there is a big difference either side if the Atlantic, it's harder to pick stuff up quite so cheap in the uk and then I don't think it appreciates quite so much. Sweeping statement I know and of course there are exceptions but its probably true.

To an extent thats true although Ive never had the experience before of buying a set with 50% off and barely getting retail for it. Generally I look for 100% gross which means that I hardly ever buy anything at retail. The only exceptions to that have been 10194 EN's, 10193's MMV plus a few 8129's that I found still on the shelf at Toys R Us. The 3for2 offers we get appear to be as a good as it gets, such as places like Tesco's and Argos, so for example I couldnt resist the 8043's at equivelent to £88 each. There certainly appears to be less off these opportunities. We dont have a Wallmart (Asdas dont tend to sell the bigger sets). We dont have a target and so on.

Argos have made it harder to get a bargain 3for2 because its now instore collection only, they wont do it online anymore! The Vampyre 9468's can be bought for around £39 each based on a 3for2 but it means having to travel to get them. I have a few pick ups on Monday for these, but its a day on the road as none of my stores within 80 miles have any. They only restock when the promotion ends! So its becoming hard work to get those discounts.

I read with interest about the discounts being floated around for BF in the US and some folks dont seem all that impressed. Heck if it were over in the UK I would be taking a van and stacking them to the ceiling :-)

• richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    leego76 said:

2 years ago I would have agreed with you, but I can honestly say that now I am generally picking up my lego here in the UK for 30-50% off rrp the majority of the time. The only downside is I am often having to buy a couple of the same sets to get the full discount (i.e. on 3 for 2), but perhaps thats no bad thing.
    Also, we are getting spoilt with the Sun promos, which is basically a polybag for 40p. I dont often pick up lots of multiples, but I did get quite a few Urak Hai.
    In summary, I think we don't have it too bad over here in the UK now!
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    leego76 said:

Resellers in the USA have a huge advantage because of both cheaper pricing and the exchange rate. Personally I would not bother with this endeavor operating at such a huge disadvantage, but kudos to those that try!

• BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    Larger population helps too I'm sure..
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    What are you talking about? There's only about 320,000,000 in the US ;)
    Hard to believe there are so many of us here!
    Speaking of a lot of people... I saw a show on CNBC the other day regarding China... They have to build a city for 16 million people... every year...

They have entire new cities, from scratch, being built right now, that can hold 5 million people, where there was farmland before. The whole thing, designed and built in one go.

Just amazing the scale that everything they are doing is on, makes the USA look small by comparison.
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    leego76 said:

I agree in one way, but on the other hand, we have different markets with different currencies and different demand...my last example is I bought 5 x 4841 in Eur price, sold them for double in EUR price in the UK within a week, which was 25-30% above RRP only. You can also play with currencies in good old Europe....
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 966
    I'm surprised more isn't being said about the 'retiring soon' label on [email protected] That could be absolutely huge. If accurate it would make one half of this thread title redundant! You have to wonder how accurate it is - do they list all sets that are retiring soon, or just pick a handful at any given time? It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the actual set retirements over the rest of the year.
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    ^ Or they could be taking advantage of buyers trying to snatch up all EOL'ing LEGO by labeling sets that are performing poorly with "retiring soon" in hopes of boosting sales.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ That's what I think. Stick the label on items they need to clear out. The test will come when FB, IS, GE and items like these get the tags -- or in how consistent the tag is.
    I'm not placing much stock in the "retiring soon" label. None of the Harry Potter sets are listed and we know they are going. In fact the castle just sold out this weekend. IMO it is just a marketing ploy to try and move sets prior to deeper discounts. I have not doubt the sets with this label will be going but it is certainly not all inclusive.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 7,005
    ^agreed. and clearly more than 8 sets will be disappearing soon
    Probably right. Just trying to move stuff that's not selling.

I'm not placing much stock in the "retiring soon" label. None of the Harry Potter sets are listed and we know they are going. In fact the castle just sold out this weekend. IMO it is just a marketing ploy to try and move sets prior to deeper discounts. I have not doubt the sets with this label will be going but it is certainly not all inclusive.

OR they will not put the licensed stuff under the Retiring soon listing, which does not make it 100% accurate.

Probably right. Just trying to move stuff that's not selling.

Then put the items on sale, that is how you clear them. :)

Put 8043 up for 25% off and they will sell. :)
    I'm in at 25% off for that set.....fingers crossed for BF.
    edited November 2012
    8043 was obtainable for 20% off or better for a very long time (recently as much as about 30% or more) at Amazon.uk and Amazon.fr, even after shipping, to US customers. They're all gone now, though.
    edited November 2012
    3182 city Airport is listed as 'Sold out' I do not believe this was on the retiring soon list was it?

• FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    ^No it wasn't. I don't believe that list is any way all inclusive. I agree with what was already stated, that it is a tactic to urge sales of some of the slower moving sets before discounting them.
    nkx1 said:

8043 was obtainable for 20% off or better for a very long time (recently as much as about 30% or more) at Amazon.uk and Amazon.fr, even after shipping, to US customers. They're all gone now, though.

I'm still iffy on ordering from overseas for my resale items....I like the ability to do a return if the item arrives flat as a pancake.....maybe I should broaden my horizons! If it goes on sale this BF I can scoop it for at least 45% off after discount, cashback and VIP points plus Holiday set. If not then I will leave it for the rest of the gang.

FatMatt said:

^No it wasn't. I don't believe that list is any way all inclusive. I agree with what was already stated, that it is a tactic to urge sales of some of the slower moving sets before discounting them.

LOL... What if this really just tells you what will be listed on BF sale?

I'm still iffy on ordering from overseas for my resale items....I like the ability to do a return if the item arrives flat as a pancake.....maybe I should broaden my horizons! If it goes on sale this BF I can scoop it for at least 45% off after discount, cashback and VIP points plus Holiday set. If not then I will leave it for the rest of the gang.

Ah, gotcha; I guess it could be a better deal on BF. I've had generally good luck with shipping from Amazon overseas. A few boxes have come very slightly creased, about the same minimal damage my cat would do by sitting on top of a box.
    Also, when buying from Amazon overseas, if the items arrive completely crushed, they do refund return shipping, even when it is more than the price of the item.

Stupid, but they do it. I had this happen to a bunch of sets once, they paid me $90 to ship back $80 worth of damaged sets, then refunded me for the damaged sets.

I offered to keep them for 30% off, they refused and instead paid double the sales price to get them back.

Amazon can be strange sometimes...

Also, when buying from Amazon overseas, if the items arrive completely crushed, they do refund return shipping, even when it is more than the price of the item.

Stupid, but they do it. I had this happen to a bunch of sets once, they paid me $90 to ship back $80 worth of damaged sets, then refunded me for the damaged sets.

I offered to keep them for 30% off, they refused and instead paid double the sales price to get them back.

Amazon can be strange sometimes...

I imagine they refused as there will be a minority of people who say things are damaged when they are not, just to extract extra discount.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited November 2012
    Yup, returns, damaged, defective merchandise are strange animals. I remember working at a department store while going to college and seeing the person that dealt with returns destroying items that just had minor things wrong with them. They were credited the item's cost by the wholesaler or retailer, so it had to be destroyed, although it would have easily sold for 50% off or such.

It sure seems like Amazon has a certain percentage of returns figured in, and obviously have policies that they don't budge on. And, to be honest that is how a company should be. They should not loose focus of the big picture. So what if they lose money on a transaction here or there? They do what is right and what is fair to the customer. In the long run that will pay dividends for them. I say that, because some companies don't get that very important aspect. They only focus on that one transaction and want to come out ahead. Then, possibly lose a customer.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    richo said:

I imagine they refused as there will be a minority of people who say things are damaged when they are not, just to extract extra discount.

Yep, if people fond out that all as you have to do is tell Amazon your packages were squashed then they will refund you 30%. This would become a relatively big issue, overall the policy they have in place, even if it seems crazy sometimes, of having to ship it back at Amazon's expense will cost them less long term.

@doriansdad I shop at amazon.fr semi frequently (I'm in Australia) and resell, so far have had no damaged items. I just earlier in the week placed a couple of orders for some Millennium Falcons #7965 from TRU.com for myself & resale, with the issue's I have had in the past I am a little less confident, but I'm willing to take the risk.
  • CrazyaddictCrazyaddict Member Posts: 35

Just amazing the scale that everything they are doing is on, makes the USA look small by comparison.

i think that's because the US has a lot of weirdos that tend to block anything that is remotely progressive to society. Just replacing the hedious power towers took countless studies and 10 years just to get the approvals from the many towns. When you contrast this with how rapidly the decision making works in China, is it any wonder they can build cities in months, what normally takes years or even centuries to build over here?

What is weird is that they sometimes do say yes.

It even goes the other way, I have had a few items, abit rare, that they refunded me the whole amount and told me to keep the item. One of these was even a small LEGO set.

I actually think that most people are honest. The few who would abuse, would be caught pretty quickly, you can only claim so many damaged items before it sticks out.

Google "Amazon baned buyer", Amazon does ban people from buying from them when abused, they ignore a lot, but at some point they would rather not have you as a customer.
    edited November 2012

i think that's because the US has a lot of weirdos that tend to block anything that is remotely progressive to society.

NIMBY - Not in my backyard...

George Carlin has a great routine on just this subject. :)

Me? I'd love it if they would build a nuclear plant right here in Dallas. Lots of cheap, clean energy... No more coal dust, no more smog. I'd actually be tempted to buy an electric car, if I got my power from nuclear. But since I get my power from coal, what is the point?
    I wouldn't call society in China progressive.
    ^^ I think the general point you are making (which is correct), is that the more developed and democratic the society, often the longer it will take for large projects to get agreed and underway, as you often have long consultation periods, followed by discussions, legal proceedings by one side etc.
    We are seeing this to an extent in the UK with HS2 (a high speed rail line proposed to run from Birmingham to London). In theory it is great for trade and commerce and cuts journey times between these cities from 2 hours to under 1 hour, but obviously it will also mean significant engineering through large swathes of countryside, so there is a very vociferous opposition.
    @richo.....I would love a hi speed rail system in the USA. Heck I would love to see one from Canada down thru Mexico. Unfortunately we can't pass a spending bill to save our lives at the moment.
    FollowsClosely
    There is the challenge...

Could the Hoover Dam be built today?
    pharmjod
  • bigjsdbigjsd Member Posts: 62

i think that's because the US has a lot of weirdos that tend to block anything that is remotely progressive to society. Just replacing the hedious power towers took countless studies and 10 years just to get the approvals from the many towns. When you contrast this with how rapidly the decision making works in China, is it any wonder they can build cities in months, what normally takes years or even centuries to build over here?

Sometimes those weirdos are merely engineers making sure we don't waste time, energy, or money building something. I agree many things are over regulated but when we cut corners and just let things fly we get the type of thing that happened a couple years ago in Florida when they used Chinese made drywall to build housing tracts only to find out later it was all toxic. Sure would have been nice if one of those progression hindering weirdos would have caught that mistake before it was made.

Now back to the topic at hand.....was really hoping FB or GE would have been discont. by now. Sitting on a couple of each and the longer I sit on GE the more tempted I become to open up another and add some floors to my existing one. Hopefully I will get a deal on BF that will keep me satisfied for awhile.

• Nadana86Nadana86 Member Posts: 65
    Apparently #10231 is retiring. I think it will do well but slowly especially because of #10213 being more rare.
    edited November 2012
    just to boost all my US pals on here and their economy; my gf bought me an ipad today. Not allowed it until xmas though. Looked at other tablets, but went with Apple in the end. Definitely some US success stories still going strong then!?
    richo said:

just to boost all my US pals on here and their economy; my gf bought me an ipad today. Not allowed it until xmas though. Looked at other tablets, but went with Apple in the end. Definitely some US success stories still going strong then!?

Oh my....Apple. Jobs was a genius. You cannot fake genius. This company has never performed without him. The ipad is brilliant. This is probably their last great product....rehashes aren't going to cut it (are u listening TLG?). The economy is doing fine here under the circumstances. You cannot clean up a mess that took 8 years to create in just 4....but we are well on our way and far ahead of Europe.

^ the iPad is made in China, so not really...

In 2010, Obama invited Steve Jobs to the White House and one of the questions he asked him was how to bring back production of products like the iPad.

Steve Jobs, in his normal blunt manner, replied, "those jobs are never coming back".

Apple did a study to see what it would cost to make the iPad here. It would add about $100 in labor costs and $100 in manfacturing costs.

Translation? To maintain profit margins, the $499 iPad would end up costing $999 if made in the USA.

That is why "those jobs are never coming back" was his answer.
    FollowsClosely