Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New 'Legends' Theme

CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,365

Comments

• CrazyaddictCrazyaddict Member Posts: 35
    wow...5 new castle sets? really?
  • absolut3absolut3 Member Posts: 83
    wouldn't necessary say new... translated with google:

This category is intended for LEGO sets that have already been previously released. LEGO has decided a number of classics to return under the name LEGO Legends ..
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    There is a small image on the sight, anybody recognize these sets? image
    those were the older legends sets. blacksmith shop, black falcon castle and guarded inn.
    CupIsHalfEmpty
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,154
    Im guessing those are not coming back as they were already redone, except for the Blacksmiths shop anyway, but that may just be a website graphic and mean nothing..
    Or if those are they will all be in the new grey color (actually trying to remember if the if the Blacksmiths shop were in new or old grey.)
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Darn, when I saw they had 5 "new castles" I was hoping Black Falcon Castle would make a return, didn't realize they already released a Legends version.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    the interesting things about the listings on that site are this:

* sets seem to have the new numbering system (70400,70401,70402,70403,70404)

* sets say "Expected 31 August 2013"

Is it possible that LEGO is indeed releasing these old castle sets as a way to keep Castle going while on hiatus? after all, there really won't be any proper castles in any of the Hobbit sets...
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    dougts said:

the interesting things about the listings on that site are this:

* sets seem to have the new numbering system (70400,70401,70402,70403,70404)

* sets say "Expected 31 August 2013"

Is it possible that LEGO is indeed releasing these old castle sets as a way to keep Castle going while on hiatus? after all, there really won't be any proper castles in any of the Hobbit sets...

I doubt the sets are being re-released. It appears that LEGO is launching a new generic castle theme for the summer 2013 wave.

• Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    This may be what the operator I talked to at Lego was talking about when I asked if there were any plans for new castle sets in the near future as the MF castle and the LoTR castle were not really mideval in theme.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Ma1234 said:

I doubt the sets are being re-released. It appears that LEGO is launching a new generic castle theme for the summer 2013 wave.

agree. i was going off of what had been posted previously in the thread - i.e. "Legends". My bet (and hope) would be new sets as well

• stoneboistoneboi Member Posts: 42
    Go go castles!
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,461
    As exciting as a new castle range would be, the translation points to re-releases. As well as how confusing it would be for TLG to release a new theme under the name of 'legends' (but maybe only confusing for those remembering the original 'legends' line). Colour me interested either way.
    absolut3 said:

This category is intended for LEGO sets that have already been previously released. LEGO has decided a number of classics to return under the name LEGO Legends ..

andhe said:

As exciting as a new castle range would be, the translation points to re-releases. As well as how confusing it would be for TLG to release a new theme under the name of 'legends' (but maybe only confusing for those remembering the original 'legends' line). Colour me interested either way.

absolut3 said:

I think this is a translation of the website, not the line. In which case they cloud have been using this spot on line to list the new sets, or dragged it out of mothballs if the new castle line is called 'Legends' for some reason. Because one would think that if they were coming out with a Legends line it would not be limited to Castle.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Would love to see a return of the Legends line up. Give us Classic Castle and Space. I think there is more of a market than there was ten years ago.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Anybody else going cross-eyed? "Legends" AND "Legends of Chima"?!
    @mathew they should come up with a classic line.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038

I was thinking of the same thing; having a theme called Legends and another called Legends of Chima at the same time would be way too confusing. Unless the two are somehow tied together, which I find unlikely as Legends of Chima is very non-Castle-ish so far....)c:

edited November 2012
    akunthita said:

I was thinking of the same thing; having a theme called Legends and another called Legends of Chima at the same time would be way too confusing. Unless the two are somehow tied together, which I find unlikely as Legends of Chima is very non-Castle-ish so far....)c:

Or they are calling it 'legends' instead of its full name ' legends of Chima' on the site and just are lazy putting it in the 'Legends' menu they already had built
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,922

akunthita said:

Or they are calling it 'legends' instead of its full name ' legends of Chima' on the site and just are lazy putting it in the 'Legends' menu they already had built
    Yeah, that seems like a plausible scenario to me. I certainly see no reason to think this "Legends" lineup has anything to do with the old LEGO Legends theme. After all, if TLG were to bring back classic sets, why would they choose to use five castles and no other sets?

Alternatively-- and this is getting into extremely improbable territory-- these will be a Legend of Zelda license connected with the Cuusoo project that's currently in review, and the vague theme name "Legends" and set names "Castle" are all that TLG would willingly disclose to retailers before the review results were revealed. But I doubt that, personally. As of yet, no Cuusoo project has become a full theme, and certainly not a full wave of five sets meant for regular retail release (as the numbers here would suggest to me, since otherwise TLG would just continue the Cuusoo numbering trend).
  • cozycozy Member Posts: 154
    personally i am well happy we are getting more castle themes.
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    Just a heads up. The Dutch in description translates to...

"This category is intended for LEGO sets that have already been previously released. LEGO has decided a number of classics to return under the name LEGO Legends ..."

So yeah... These are going to be re-issues. Can't wait!
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    I'm happy, I could build castles all day long.
    plasmodium
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    I would be VERY happy with some classic Castle Re-Issues :)
    thornie said:

Just a heads up. The Dutch in description translates to...

"This category is intended for LEGO sets that have already been previously released. LEGO has decided a number of classics to return under the name LEGO Legends ..."

So yeah... These are going to be re-issues. Can't wait!

Ummm... you do realize that that is the description for the classic LEGO Legends line, which everything but the five new set numbers on that list seems to cover? So it's very possible that the five new set numbers have nothing to do with that description, and were just listed under an existing theme due to having a common title.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Perhaps this is how they re-release the UCS X-Wing that we were all arguing about them possibly re-releasing a while back.
  • duilimduilim Member Posts: 61
    I'm hoping that it's re releases of older sets and not new ones. I don't know about everyone else, but I just feel that the older Castle sets were just so much better in terms of design than the newer ones. Plus, those were the days when they used to be generous with the number if minifigs in each set. I'd take Classic Castle over Kingdoms/Castle/Knight's Kingdom any day. My personal top five that I'm hoping for -
    1. 6085 Black Monarch's Castle
    2. 6077 Forestman's River Fortress
    3. 6073 Knight's Castle
    4. 6086 Black Knight's Castle
    5. 6102 Castle Minifigures
    I would have added Black Falcons Fortress to that list, but it's already been done.......
    Here's another nail in the coffin for this being an actual series of reissues: look at some of the other sets in the LEGO Legends category on this site. Some that stand out are the Medieval Market Village, the Winter Toy Shop, the Mini-Modulars, the VW Beetle... none of these are re-issues, so clearly BRICKshop.nl's categorization leaves much to be desired. Note also that when you click to visit the individual pages for these sets, they are categorized simply as LEGO Castle, not with generic LEGO branding like all the actual LEGO Legends and LEGO Direct sets in this category.

Overall, with the number of classic castle elements that have been discontinued over the years (many of them for very good reason), I think the chances of seeing faithful reissues would have been slim anyway, so it's probably just as well that these don't appear to be reissues of any kind.

Now, with that said, there's still reason to be excited about this theme. I was wondering what Asger Johansen's LinkedIn meant by "a new take on one of the LEGO classics launching 2HY 2013", and it sounds like this will be the theme in question. After a poor showing for non-licensed evergreen themes in 2012, it's great to see TLG going back to its roots with new space and castle themes in 2013.

Also, if ADVANCE is handling the concept and communication for the theme, then we know it should be a pretty solid theme. They are TLG's go-to ad agency and have been involved in lots of great LEGO themes since the 90s, some of their most recent hits including LEGO Friends and LEGO Monster Fighters.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,328
    I am really hoping we get to see some good re-issues in the near future, a few from the Original Pirates and Castle themes, as well as one or two of the original Star Wars sets if possible.

I think a sort of legendary set tribute theme would be good, with such models as http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=497-1 given a huge update using modern pieces and building techniques which would look fantastic displayed next to the original. That however will probably remain a dream...
    plasmodium
  • sadowsk1sadowsk1 Member Posts: 124
    That would be cool if sets get rereleased. They probably can't sell them at the same price so hopefully their isn't too much whining about increase in cost if they do come back.