Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Need suggestions re robot/car/something

gharper2gharper2 Member Posts: 5
edited November 2012 in Collecting
As mentioned, we are sort of new (or re-new) to Legos. For Christmas, I'm looking for a good set that (hopefully) has some remote control movement that would entertain a 12 and/or 9 year old. They are both very good builders. I'm happy to look for older models on the secondary market if that is the best way to go. Thoughts? Suggestions? Help!

Comments

• JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    While a lot of bigger technic sets have moving parts the only current one that's like a remote controlled car is the 4x4 crawler. I'm not sure if there are older RC sets. Mindstorms is the robotic set and I'm sure someone else on here could tell you about it, I haven't given into my husband's pleas yet.
  • peterlinddkpeterlinddk DenmarkMember Posts: 170
    The #9398 4x4 Crawler as mentioned is amazing! I built it last weekend, and while the build itself wasn't that much of an experience, the completed model is übercool. It really crawls over everything - it is the most powerful LEGO-vehicle I have ever seen. Fantastic.

The older #8043 Motorized Excavator is perhaps less powerful (the threads don't seem to grip on my hardwood floor at all) but it is a much more interessting build, and it can do so much more than just drive around. Unfortunately it eats batteries like nothing I've ever seen.

If you can find some even older sets, there are the #8275 Bulldozer, that looks rather menacing, but still cool. And a set I haven't seen in shops: the #4958 Monster Dino, that actually looks quite fun.

There are also some remote controlled cars from around the same time (five years ago), the #8183 and #8184 - they look kind of okay I guess, just not LEGOish enough for my liking.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    ^ Second the vote for #8043 Motorized Excavator, which I think is a better build and finished model than #9398 4x4 Crawler.

I think they've pretty much disappeared from LEGO stores but they're still available from LEGO [email protected] and perhaps TRU online. They won't be around much longer and may not last far into the holiday run-up, so I'd pull the trigger soon.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,956
    edited November 2012
    The Dirt Crusher (sorry, I don't know the set number. It should come up if you search for it at the top right, though) was amazing. I absolutely loved that thing, and I used it for years until one of it's motors seized up. It could certainly take some rough driving, too (although I seem to remember needing a new steering module thing at one point) and could seemingly handle almost any terrain. Famously at LegoLand they would demonstrate it's strength by having an employee stand on it and not break it, though I never tried that with mine, of course.
    Unfortunately that's kinda old (2006 or 7 I can't remember) so it might be quite hard to find one in a decent condition.

Edit: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8369-2 this is the one I had, along with the green parts pack. I would certainly recommend it if it weren't for the age.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Love the #8043, it's truly an incredible set.