Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Oh no :-(

CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
edited November 2012 in Everything else LEGO
My girlfriend captured this photo of me after my 10212 crashed to the floor of the spare "man" room. I thought I'd share it here for sympathy/amusement.

The long story is that I'd finally gotten round to buying some shelves to display my UCS collection in the appropriate manner. You can already see 10215 and the large shelf will hold 10221 and the planet sets will hang underneath. Unfortunately the small 30x30 shelves are cantilevered and aren't quite strong enough to support 10212 and as you can see somewhat destroyed it as the shelf collapsed and snapped two of the blue technic pieces holding the central fin. The silver lining to this cloud is that it did finally encourage me to get onto LEGO to order those replacement parts and other missing parts from other sets. Looks like I might have to delay building the 10225 and 10227 I ordered a couple of days ago however :-/

Comments

• CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    As the picture isn't showing you can see it here also https://www.dropbox.com/s/nz5m69crq19vx6h/2012-11-02 15.42.41.jpg
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    :-(((
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    :-(
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    Commiserations!
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Were there any survivors? Looks like the stolen imperial codes were snuffed out and the ship was shot down.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Would a third fixing have helped if you plan to replace it?
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030

:-(((

Flashbacks?

MinifigsMeLegoboy
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 784
    Looks like the fuselage put up a good fight.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    I can empathise deeply. :-(
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    Silver lining is that you get to build it again!
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    Just imagine the minifigs faces as it plummeted to the floor!
    Penkid11
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^ Haha, that made me think of Kerbal Space Program. Specifically, the faces of the Kerbal astronauts as they fly in your rocket. Like this:

Which in Lego would look something like this:

imageimage
    Legoboy
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,328
    Oh boy do I know what this feels like, there is the half hour of despair, then self pity, then resolution to rebuild, then giving up, then rebuilding three months later. At least that is what happened with the Executor Super Star Destroyer which I dropped around last Christmas and didn't rebuild until March!
  • NeilCrosbyNeilCrosby United KingdomMember Posts: 77
    Not fun, is it? This happened to me not once, not twice, but three times with Tower Bridge. Thankfully not all at the same time, but now it's happily installed on a nice shelf.
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    I can see the problem...nothing actually holding those shelves up ;-)
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    Almost as bad as my 3/4 built #10030 falling from 6 feet to the ground after a cat decided to jump on the shelving unit. That was 4 years ago, still have not been rebuilt. Ugh!

Then there was the time I dropped my fully built #10144 outside while moving into the house, in the middle of winter. I spent the next twp days searching for all the pieces in the snow.

I feel your pain.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Wow... @Brick_Obsession - I feel your pain! I think you win a prize or something!
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,328
    The worst part is taking apart the surviving sections and separating the parts again, other than that I suppose it can be quite entertaining as you get to go through the building process again.
    I blame the screws and IKEA and its everyone else's fault but my own. Truth be told I used screws and plugs that I had in the house already, problem was that the shelves required around 1cm of visible thread to hook the shelf over (imagine hanging a picture) this left about 2.5cm in the wall which evidently isn't enough. I had intended to use longer screws but the head was too large to fit the fixings on the shelf. Today will be spent going to hardware stores to find long screws with small heads.

Have to call TLG on Monday to pay for my replacement parts, after I filled in the service request yesterday they conveniently sent me the reference number bang on closing time.

Still debating whether to do a full disassembly and reassembly or recover the large sections that got through the crash relatively unscathed. This is partly due to remembering the build on the wing sections being fairly repetitive and partly because sifting through the 2500 pieces would probably double the build time.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Seems like it would be easier to keep large intact sections assembled and rebuild onto those.
    edited November 2012

Seems like it would be easier to keep large intact sections assembled and rebuild onto those.

As the wings mostly survived ill probably keep those intact but seems like I'll probably have to disassemble and reassemble the body, cockpit and central fin. Will keep me busy once the necessary parts arrive.

For those of you who are interested this is how my shelving looks now I've invested in some longer screws.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6t3znghopbt84zr/Photo 03-11-2012 17 09 18.jpg