Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New Elements

YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
edited June 2011 in Collecting
I'm building my first modular, the Pet Shop, and have just run across flower petal pieces that are basically fluted 1x1 round plates. Am I just daft or are these new? I wasn't able to find them on Bricklink but I'm no BL savant.

This brings to mind a question. How many new elements, on average, does TLG introduce each year? And do they in turn have to retire a certain amount each year?

Comments

• YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    Well check out Harry Potter sets (2001): 4721- (47)23. I think the pieces are surprisingly older than we assume.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Thanks, I had no idea. And here, I thought I had a pretty good grasp on brick types.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,760
    I think they used them more recently in the winter bakery? http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=10216-1 If it's the part I think you mean. For bun icing or something :P
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,450
    And a very nice piece it is too. You can use it to join 2 2x2 (or bigger) plates stud-to-stud.
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    It's used in sets from 2000-2011 with exclusion of 2005, according to BL: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=229&in=S
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    I am guessing I just lost all my credibility here. I knew I should have been building more of these sets. :o)
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 809
    It's amazing how much a few Scala, Belville, Clickits, and Fabuland sets will increase your experience with LEGO parts. Doesn't happen as much to me these days (since all but Belville are discontinued), but used to be that EVERY time I got one of these sets, my head exploded with all sorts of parts and colors that I never knew existed.

DaveE
    ^ A little bird tells me that this'll be the case again next year...
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    ^??? do tell...
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 809
    ^ I'm just imagining a little bird telling Huw the next time that my head's scheduled to explode after seeing some bunch of new elements :)

But I'm guessing the implication is more like there will be a new Scala or Clikits-style linup in 2012! But I'll hold off on being excited :)

DaveE
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    There's a new girl-oriented theme scheduled for a 'Jan 2012' release. I remember reading something in the UK quality print media about it, but this is the only reference I can currently find ...
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/lego-if-you-build-it-they-will-come-2151993.html
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^This will likely include some of those new rumored colors - Medium Azure, Medium Lavender, Lavender, and "Spring Yellowish Green"
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    ^ agreed, but, as an aside, 'Medium Azure' is the colour of the human's space suits in the Alien Conquest sets ... as I understand it, it was created for the new girl's theme & then hijacked by the Alien Conquest theme design team :-)
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ I think that is Dark Azure
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    edited June 2011
    When Huw said "little bird", I immediately thought to myself "or a not so little moose" :P
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    ^Yes, we have that saying in the US. Maybe I should have used exclamation points instead of the question marks. What I intended was to reveal more ;)
    Possible fantasy based theme for girls lego... unicorns please!
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    I thought that the female AFOL's wanted less stereotypical LEGO, surely there is little more stereotypical that unicorns for girls :p
    Can't hear the word unicorn without thinking of Agnes in Despicable Me.
    "Unicorns, I love them. Unicorns, I love them. Uni uni unicorns, I love them. Uni unicorns, I could pet one if they were really real. And they are! So I bought one so I could pet it. Now it loves me, now I love it. La lala la la... "
    "It's so fluffy, I'm gonna die"

Not against the idea btw, think a fantasy theme would be awesome, suppose it is a fine line to tread trying to find things that appeal to females, but are not condescending.
  • mkoeselmkoesel USAMember Posts: 97
    Do we know if this "for girls" theme is going to be a licensed theme? I ask because I have heard a lot of folks postulate about a "Disney Princess" theme.
    Should this be a new thread???...
    But I began wondering about whether Lego would use its Disney license to draw a bigger crowd to a girl focused theme. eg, Rapunzel tower, Cinderella carriage, Witches house, little mermaid set (new PotC mermaid tails...).

Of course these fairytales are all in the public domain, and Lego could lean more towards its Danish roots with the Hans Christian Andersen stuff. But it would probably put a few noses out at Disney if they were to do specific stories rather than just a generic 'fairytale theme'. With unicorns.
  • burakki62burakki62 Member Posts: 46
    I know one little girl, my niece not me, who would be terribly excited if Lego did a Disney princess range! or even just a fairytale theme.
    Sorry to drag this up again. But just been reading a thread over at eurobricks which should shed some light on the comments by Huw and Bluemoose.
    http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53012&st=0
    I don't know how the person knows so much but looks like its more a city/belville style theme than unicorns :( I mean princess/fairytale theme etc.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    fascinating thread there andhe.

I'm a bit torn, similar to many who commented on that thread. I love the possibilities involved in girl-centric lines (I have two girls to try them on), but if they are too far off minifigure scale, then that is a huge disapointment that essentially sends the message "these are the girl LEGO sets - leave the others for the boys" I can live with non-minifigures themselves as long as the scale is reasonably compatible.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I dont see why girl-centric stuff can't be minifig scale.
    And yes, unicorns! Lots of unicorns!

Also boy-centric fairytale stuff - mermaids with real boobs :-)
  • jagdjhjagdjh Member Posts: 95
    They just need to make some sets that aren't SO boy. Unisex is the way to go in my opinion. Who wouldn't love an ice cream shop or truck to go with all the City sets? Also seems like a big mistake to use anything other than minifig scale. If they make too big a distinction between what sex it is intended for it will just limit the sets appeal and sales.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,099
    I take it many would like something similar to the Paradisa line of the 1990s. Minifig scale, but for girls.... but in colors besides pink and magenta....
    I mentioned this to my 9 year old daughter last night "Next year LEGO is coming out with sets for girls ". Her: "What do you mean?"

exactly!

she loves her city stuff - police, robbers, marina, semi trucks, buses, etc. the last thing she's going to want is a bunch of new stuff that doesn't work with that stuff. Man, I'm really hoping it's close to minifig scale. It would be perfect ifshe could line up her beaty salon, vet clinic, and shoe store right next to the police state and city corner.
    dougts... you brought on a great idea.... the perfect girls set... an "American Strip Mall".... a Beauty Salon, Vet Clinic, Shoe Store, Nail Salon, Tanning Parlor. and Mr. Bulky Food Emporium... ;-)
    funny you mention that - I'm in the midst of designing a modular suburban outdoor mall MOC. not a strip mall exactly. bigger, more upscale. there's a few around that are quite nice that I'm using for inspiration. the idea is that each "module" be 16x32, with flagship store being more 32x32. the idea is that these can be built/acquired over time rather than all at once, and possibly configured in different layouts, etc.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    edited July 2011
    ^ Here is Santana Row in Santa Clara, CA ... exactly the type of upscale outdoor shopping area you describe. If you rotate the streetview to the left, my wife and I got married at Hotel Valencia:
    View Larger Map
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    ^ Looks just like Scottsdale, AZ !
    Probably the ultimate American "architectural" suburban shopping area is in Kansas City Missouri... and is known as Country Club Plaza. For those with a flair for historical details... this one is "over the top"....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_Club_Plaza