Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm Ltd & new SW Films (ep 7+)

Comments

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    edited October 2012

acedogg77 said:

Thats no moon it's a pair of mouse ears.

I have a bad feeling about this.

I actually have a very good feeling about this... It is past time for George to pass it on, and quite frankly, I think he finally figured that out.

He did good work for a long time, but at some point, you have to give someone else a shot at it.

This is a chance for someone else to run with it, no reason to expect Ep 7 to be like Ep 1, a different group of people will be doing it, people who are not married to the past, who watched the reaction to Ep 1 for the past 13 years.
    Though I'll reserve final judgment until I see what they do, I'll have to agree with @acedogg77 for now. It also depends on how much control they leave with Lucasfilm. As seen with The Avengers, when they left Marvel at the helm, they got a pretty passable film. As seen with their own movies (PotC, almost all of their animated movies with direct-to-video sequels), they don't know how to milk a franchise and have it retain anything that resembles integrity. And at the end of the day, they really don't care, as they've already got your money - and that certainly shows when Disney 'creative' is left to their own devices.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    The joke about teddy bears aside...

The problem with Jedi is that the Empire would have won. I get that the Emperor was over confident, but he could afford to be.

Forget the Death Star II for a minute, the fleet holding the Rebels there consisted of 40 Star Destroyers of various types, plus the Super Star Destroyer Executor.

They didn't even need the DSII, those Star Destroyers were plenty to wipe out the Rebels all by themselves. Holding them there using Interdictor cruisers, there really was no escape, regardless of what happened on the Death Star or on the surface of Endor.

The Rebel's brought 9 Mon Calamari Cruisers of various types, including Home One. While the weapons and shields of a MC-80 is similar in many regards to an Imperial Star Destroyer, 9 of them sure aren't going to win against 40 ISDs.

The Executor all by itself had enough firepower to wipe out the Rebels, without any help. Home One had 72 weapons emplacements, Executor had 5,000. Executor could have simply rammed Home One and destroyed it with brute force, the shields were strong enough.

Yes, yes, I know, an A-Wing crashed into the bridge. Well then, the Empire was going to lose no matter what, because you simply don't design and build a ship that large, to be that easy to destroy. Besides, a ship of that size has shields strong enough to allow 500 fighters to crash into it.

Either the Empire is a great threat, or they are not. If they are that easy to kill, then they would not control the galaxy.

That is the problem, the movies try to have it both ways. The evil Empire is crushing everyone, but just a few lucky shots and that's it, all over...
    ^ One of the problems with the direct to video sequals is they don't give them enough of a budget. A lot of times they change the voice actors, the animation isn't as good, the music isn't original, etc.

Lets face it, Lion King was amazing because of the money spent on quality animation, quality voice acting, and the music by Elton John was just perfect.

Aladin had Robin Williams, who *is* the Genie. He didn't come back to do the sequel due to a contract dispute over money and the second one is terrible because of that. The third is better because they got him back for that.

Re: Avengers, yes, you are correct, that was done well, one of my wife's favorite of all the comic book movies. That movie screams for a sequal, they just need to be sure to give it a budget larger than the first one.

Speaking of which, Black Widow won't be in Iron Man 3, she has asked for her own movie it seems. Will be interesting to see if they do that or not.
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    Do you want the magic ("Death Star") clubhouse to appear? Just say the magic words: Mishka, mushka, Mickey Mouse! say it with me...
    Add pixie dust...
    Enter music: Imperial march!!!
    Great! Now I've got the Hot Dog song in my head! :)
    Penkid11
    ^LOL! yeah, that's a good one!
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    edited October 2012
    Woo time for some Pirates of Coruscant starring Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrowalker....

Seriously, Zahn trilogy would be good source for episode 7-9, too bad Harrison Ford would be much too old to reprise his role as Han Solo per that source material.
    If I would be so bold as to recommend another route for episode 7, I would base it on Star Wars Legacy comics series. It is the only other good EU story IMHO after Zahn's trilogy. Starring Cade Skywalker, Luke's grandson, in a mess up galaxy ruled mainly by Sith. This would be a new take, a few generations removed from OT (i.e. less complains by die hard fans ;)) I do not know if Disney would ok the grittier aspects of the story though.

The problems with Prequel Trilogy, IMHO, lied mostly on George Lucas being the big boss. Nobody in LucasFilm dared to question his decisions as evidence in any documentary about the making of ep 1,2,3. Contrast with ep 4 & 5 where editor, director, etc stepped up and challenged Lucas' views to some degree. Hopefully with Disney execs on the top someone can balance him a bit.

@LegoFanTexas I can't argue against 1st Aladdin movie being an excellent piece. Second movie was not that bad, I can name several Disney movies worst than Aladdin II. The Aladdin TV series moved along just fine without the honorable Mr Robin Williams if 80+ episodes could be evidence. IMHO as a fan of the TV series, movie 3, which was kind of a bookend to the TV series, suffered a little bit by adding Mr. Williams back as Genie.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,248
    ^ I never saw the 2nd and 3rd Aladdin movies but the first is my favorite Disney movie and I loved the cartoon.

Seriously, Zahn trilogy would be good source for episode 7-9, too bad Harrison Ford would be much too old to reprise his role as Han Solo per that source material.

Agreed, but the problem with that is we all know how that turns out. :)

Another way to go would be to move into the Bounty Hunter series, or to explore Mara Jade's background. The Wilde Card and the adventures to be had there would be pretty cool. I'd also love to see a red Imp Star Duce. ;) But of course that is way too obscure to make it into a movie.

Bonus points to anyone who, without looking it up, knows what the heck I'm talking about re: painting an Imperial Star Destroyer Mark II red.

:)
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,160
    I heard the next one will be about some Darth Texas something or other who flys around the galaxy buying up discounted Stormtrooper gear after the war and the reselling it at inflated costs preventing little Timmy from playing soldier at a reasonable price point
    Penkid11dragonhawkLegoFanTexasdougtsmurphquakeJosephlulwutRedbullgivesuwindbrickmatic
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    ^I don't know how it turns out. :)

Yea, books have been written, but who reads books anymore. Most people that know the Star Wars universe know it through the movies and I think, therefore, don't know much background other than what is in the those. Who says Disney needs to start with totally new material. I think they could make the Zahn trilogy from the expanded universe into movies because I doubt the target audience of Disney is going to be the type that loves to read.

Anyway, Disney has already announced it will be original material so there's no point in arguing. The time frame may be close to the Zahn trilogy, but I think they will do a totally new story.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 783
    ^I've already seen that movie :oP
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    yeah, it's called fantasy for a reason...

Even with the Emperor, Vader, the DSII, and the Executor gone, the ISDs, not to mention the rest of the fleet spread out far and wide across the galaxy, could easily have wiped out the remains of the rebel fleet. While obviously losing the political leadership would have hurt, the fleet had plenty of capable admirals and captains who could have finished the job. And don't even get started on the ground troops - who cares if a battalion or two got wiped on the surface of the Endor moon - that would have been but a drop in the bucket of the overall Imperial army and marines.

This was at least one area where some of the EU books, including the Thrawn trilogy, tried to create this notion of pockets of Imperial forces holding out for some time afterwards. In reality, the Empire would have still had an enormous strategic and tactical advantage, but I suppose huge percentages of the command structure could have flipped allegiance once Palpatine and Vader went down.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    Episode 5 (largely considered the best of the 6) shows what can happen when Lucas is not in the directors chair and not having as much control over the final product. Disney has the chance here to hire some half decent writers and directors and really make something of this. Someone like Joss Whedon (though unlikely given his huge involvment with phase 2 of avengers) could really do something with this and I am excited at the prospect. Wonder what's happening to the proposed live action TV show as part of this? Hopefully these new films will be better than the PT at the very least and increase the fan base and allow lego to develop and sell even more sets, my fingers are firmly crossed for the next few years.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,312
    So is Ep VII going to be called When You Wish Upon A Death Star?
    murphquake
  • grahamh_100grahamh_100 Member Posts: 7
    I don't usually post here, but argh this has all upset me so much I shall (and I am usually a George Lucas apologist by the way!!!). I appreciate there's a lot of hate for the prequels out there, but when they were finished it did seem like one cohesive-ish story. Tagging another trilogy on seems to be extending the story past its natural end point. Spin-off films about minor characters or new characters I would be more on board with, at least they don't then impact on the 'core' Star Wars story.

I have read people using Marvel as an example of Disney getting it right... but the idea of Disney setting deadlines for Star Wars films and *then* choosing a director, creative team etc is the worst idea I can imagine for Star Wars. I'd rather release dates and production schedules get set based on how long it takes to make the movie, not when Disney want to fit a big 'tent pole' movie into their plan.

Rant over, I shall go back to quietly fearing the absolute worst....!
    What I would've wanted to know is what happened between the birth of the twins and episode 5...maybe just a single movie.

It feels like I shall be collecting less and less of my Favorite SW.
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    edited October 2012

The joke about teddy bears aside...

Did someone say teddy bears (warning there's a F-bomb)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg-pnGFbwMQ
    graphite said:

^ I never saw the 2nd and 3rd Aladdin movies but the first is my favorite Disney movie and I loved the cartoon.

I didn't know there was 2 and 3?!

SW is a finished gig for me but I can see how they can make more but they'
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    LMFAO @CCC.... just tweeted that "when you wish upon a death star" bit (full attribution of course ;-)

LMFAO @CCC.... just tweeted that "when you wish upon a death star" bit (full attribution of course ;-)

Here's some others (not mine, http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/news-of-disney-lucasfilm-merger-sends-twitter-abuzz-with-star-wars-puns-1.1018165)

Frinding Greedo.
    Song of the Sith.
    Lando and the Tramp.
    Snow White and the Seven Droids.
    The Princess Leia Diaries.
    Emperor Palpatine's New Groove.
    The Wookiee.
    Beauty and the Boba Fett.
    Lilo & Sith.
    The Fox and the Han Solo.
    Droid Story.
    Jabba the Pooh.
    Bambi Wan Kenobi.
    Chitty Chitty Death Star.
    That's So Vader.

• joeejoee Member Posts: 42
    This should have happened 15 years ago for episodes 1-3. As much as I do not like mergers. Disney (generally) makes quality movies and I can see this being a good thing for the films. However I feel all SW products will increase in price as a result.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,891
    Leia is now a Disney Princess.
    Penkid11aimlesspursuits
  • ereiamjhereiamjh Member Posts: 182
    edited October 2012
    We seem to be forgetting the big question here. Will the original original trilogy get a Blu-ray release? Will Disney let Han shoot first?
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 539
    edited October 2012
    Someone above mentioned Harrison Ford as older, but that goes for Mark Hamill and Carrie Fischer also. They will either have to put 7-9 way in the future with the three as grandparents or will have to move to EU. But there are some good aspects to that. KOTOR and Force Unleashed are both decent turns on the EU, and the Clone Wars show reveals that the SW universe has more depth than some would think.
    Also, with the younger generation knowing SW through Clone Wars, I think they would be more open and receptive to an EU trilogy that is not about the Vader legacy.

EDIT: I echo some other voices that it will make for more variety of LEGO sets, which is potentially a positive thing. TLG already works with Disney and Lucasfilm, so this should go pretty smoothly for new sets.
    ereiamjh said:

We seem to be forgetting the big question here. Will the original original trilogy get a Blu-ray release? Will Disney let Han shoot first?

If they can sell a special Han Shoots First edition of the BR and sell it for $29.99, then probably yes.

• ereiamjhereiamjh Member Posts: 182
    CCC said:

If they can sell a special Han Shoots First edition of the BR and sell it for $29.99, then probably yes.

That's what I'm hoping.

An unmolested version of THX1138 would be nice too, but much less likely.

• hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 866
    I'm excited about the possibility. Happy that my kids will have the opportunity to possibly grow up with as epic a legend as this.

I think what is key is for Disney to strike its own path. Don't be beholden to the expanded universe. They need to go "Next Generation" with the entire concept. You can still have Jedi and starships and lightsabers and the same types of aliens, but we probably don't need to focus on "Luke and Leia and Han." We know who they are, and although stories about "what happened to them" are fun, we already know that. Make the story about the CHARACTERS, not the continuity. (This was one of the major issues with the prequels -- focused far too much on moving the chess pieces around, not on exploring who Anakin was and why he turned. So sad - there was SUCH a powerful story to be told there.)

And it has to take place "after" the original trilogy. There needs to be a substantial element of the unknown here. I'm ambivalent on how far out or whether it needs to jettison the established portions of the expanded universe. I stopped reading the novels sometime in the late 90s (except for Zahn) so I really don't know much of what happened outside of the Zahn / Anderson books.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,542
    edited October 2012
    RTO said:

prof1515 said:

I guess the good news is at least they're not doing a "remake" or "reboot". Still, I think Star Wars is creatively dead. It's a shallow universe so they may have to take it into unfamiliar territory to breathe any life into it and just hope that the fanbois will still go along.

You've never read Zahn's books, have you?
    That is part of the problem.. There is so much fan fiction and 'authorized' stories for after episode 6, WHAT do you go with??
    This will probably be a cash cow, unless Disney somehow trashes it like John Carter from Mars, BUT you will ALWAYS have unhappy people with the direction they take.
    Also you have the nagging questions of will Lucas still have any say in the story line or creativity of the story?
    Will they ask that Hamill, Fisher, and Ford come back for cameos?(unlikely for any of them to do Im guessing) What if they do? Will it appease fans, or anger them?
    Will they try to take the whole story into another direction without the main characters? If so will THAT alienate the fan base as well?
    There is a reason why Lucas did not want to do the sequels.. too much Interference..
    The prequels, for all their faults, still had the back story from the 4,5,6 to be based on. With the Sequels I just see a big mess
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002

Someone above mentioned Harrison Ford as older, but that goes for Mark Hamill and Carrie Fischer also. They will either have to put 7-9 way in the future with the three as grandparents or will have to move to EU.

This really shouldn't be tied to the characters from the original trilogy, but even if they tried to, and even though Harrison is 'so old,' you also need to remember that he's never been shy about expressing how much he has NO desire to play Han Solo ever again. And he's been saying that since about '84.
  • hantothantot UKMember Posts: 255
    If this means Grand Admiral Thawn and Mara Jade minifigs then I'm all for it, if it means Luke Skywalker being played by Justin Bieber then... Nooooooooooooooooo!
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited October 2012
    Some of the articles mention the story arc may be based on Luke's adventures a decade or two after Ep. VI. As hinted by Lucas over the years. But my preference is that they just leave OT completely out of it and let it age gracefully & undisturbed. Go with Thrawn or all new fresh start, but please let Harrison Ford go to pasture! It's just sad to see him all old and rickety in the Indiana. It's only worse when you see him in interviews trying to promote it. I think he's down to the last few marbles in the bag, if you know what I mean...
  • bigjsdbigjsd Member Posts: 62
    I think it's pretty safe to say that anyone who was between the ages of 5 and 15 at the time the original Star Wars was released will ever be as completely moved by any film of this type ever again. I guess my biggest hope for the newest trilogy would be that it would bring the same amount of excitement and joy to my kids as the original did for me. However I just don't know if that is possible because even though it will be an entirely new story it will not be an entirely new world since they already have a preconception of what it already is. My excitement is definitely tempered by fear.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    edited October 2012
    Star Wars Episode 7: (D)arthritis versus the Jedi
    BrickDancer
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,899
    I'm just thinking of the possibility of Joss Whedon or Peter Jackson or Guillermo Del Toro helming a Star Wars movie. There are so many good directors out there that just "get it" when it comes to Sci-Fi and comic type movies that the possibilities are endless. That said, we'll probably get Michael Bay. I think the best thing Disney could do is make a completely clean break and cut Lucas out of any and all of the creative process. It's not his baby anymore.
    FollowsCloselyLegoFanTexas
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,821
    I think what we can all say for definate is that when the films come out some where out there a fanboy will be pissed off about the movie and will write a blog about it.

All together now 'Disney rapped my childhood'.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,160
    ^it amazes me how much of that sort of drivel is already being written despite the only known fact about the new ones is 'Episode 7 will happen'. And really, Jar Jar already exists, it is not like they can do worse right? The new series will either continue on the current track of mediocrity or rise above it and get some of the former glory back. Either way, no reason left to complain unless you just like to complain.
    Redbullgivesuwind
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 539
    Latest news: Fox owns the rights to distribute A New Hope in perpetuity, and to the other five movies for all distrubution until 2020. So, don't be looking for the BluRay of the original prints anytime soon...
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited November 2012
    ^ I don't think that automatically follows. The blocker was, I believe, George not Fox, so if there is money to be made out of an 'original' OT release I'm sure that Disney & Fox would be happy to come to an understanding. The big uncertainty is the 'if' bit ... would enough people buy it to make it worth the cost? Would it generate additional income or just steal sales off the existing Bluray release? How much cost would there be in preping a new 'Han shot first' print? ...
    ^ This... Disney and Fox are just big corporations, they generally do whatever they think makes the most money.

Actually, this is one of the good things about a rich guy like George Lucas, he can just do whatever he wants, and sometimes this can be a good thing, and others... not so much...

For example, Firefly was a great series that got killed off by corportate suits, shame that Joss didn't have the money to just do it himself.
    Bumblepants
    I actually would like JJ Abrams to direct Episode 7. I do not think his Star Trek 2009 movie was Star Trek enough. However, as an action / science fiction flick it was great. That is what SW7 needs, a new perspective to bring new and old fans alike.
    And please, keep George Lucas from directing Ep7 from the backseat at any cost.

Mark Hamill can always cameo / star as a Force Ghost, providing the new storyline takes place after his death. So there is always a place for him in the sequels. Carrie Fisher can do the same, providing they go with the Leia as force wielder storyline.

As for not releasing the original Star Wars in blu-ray, I tought that was per George Lucas' will. Now that Disney execs are in charge, perhaps they can strongly persuade him to release it. Or we can just wait until Lucas retires.
    graphite said:

I am not surprised, they are direct to video variety. If you like the cartoon, I strongly recommend watching movie 3 as it served as the series finale for the cartoon as well.

• Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,416
    Best choice for director, in my opinion, would be Kevin Smith. He's more geek now than director, twisted and evil. A much better choice.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,248
    Jay and Silent Boba Fett Strike back?
    LostInTranslation
    ^ Wow... That is really cool...

Here is the quote below that news article, I think it stands well on its own:

------------------

"George... I'm so sorry. I've given you a hard time for the last decade or so, and now I'm truly sorry. With this incredible act of charity and kindness, you have earned a free pass for anything that might have upset me or other fans in the past. You want to not release the pre-Special Edition movies in HD? Fine. You want Greedo to shoot first? You got it. You want Episodes VII-IX to be about Jar Jar doing his laundry? ...well, I'd prefer that not be the case, but if that's what you want, you've earned it. When you first released Star Wars, you were a visionary. Now, you're a hero."
    ^ To be fair, he is donating the majority of sale proceed to charity per the source article quoted by your link.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-deal-george-lucas-will-384947

In any case, that is a whole lot more than any one of us can donate to a good cause. So kudos to George
    ^ George is right about one thing... Education is the future, we do need to consider the next 50-100 years of humanity, something we are really bad at doing at times watching for the next week's worth of news.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,899
    I will give him props for the generosity.
  • acedogg77acedogg77 Member Posts: 110
    Kudos to George, but lets face it, another 4.05bil would have just been more money he could'nt spend in the first place right? I mean he was worth a fair bit to begin with, without selling his IP.
    ^ While that is true, he could have bought an island, or a big fancy yahat, or a 747 to fly around in...

He doesn't have to give a dime to charity, the fact that he wants to focus on it, to give back to the next generation, is a nice thing to do.

It buys a lot of Karma points...
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 406
    Will this be better for regular Disney LEGO sets?