Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm Ltd & new SW Films (ep 7+)

mobilelinkagemobilelinkage Member Posts: 49
edited October 2012 in Everything else LEGO
Any impact to Lego Star Wars agreement with Lucasfilm?

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,617
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    Now Lucas will somehow make Mickey Mouse Darth Vader
    mobilelinkage
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015...
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,259
    ^^ you can already buy that at DisneyWorld. But think about this, Lucas won't be writing the dialogue so perhaps it will be a strong film. We can always hope right? at the very least we will get some sweet new Lego ships and minifigs to pine for
  • mobilelinkagemobilelinkage Member Posts: 49
    How about babies "Cars" characters and "Star Wars" characters?
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/disney-lucasfilm-force-star-wars-and-cars-to-have-babies/
    Will Lego have Duplo Star Wars set?
    ^madforLEGO: Mickey Mouse Darth Vader... not a bad idea... crossover is sometimes good.... LOL
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,417
    Thrawn Trilogy or no? I might actually buy Star Wars Lego again.
    hantot
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    They're planning three more films and then additional films "every two or three years after that". I shudder at the utter crap these films will be given how empty the last four films were creatively. They've dipped too many times into that well.
  • canuckcanuck Member Posts: 88
    Darth Mater to go with the "Star Wars" and "Cars" "babies"
    Now question is, does it worth getting the old Star Wars sets as the characters and story might be totally different from before - Darth Vader needs to go back home before 12 mid-night....
    I guess the good news is at least they're not doing a "remake" or "reboot". Still, I think Star Wars is creatively dead. It's a shallow universe so they may have to take it into unfamiliar territory to breathe any life into it and just hope that the fanbois will still go along.
  • GalidorneveragainGalidorneveragain Member Posts: 89
    edited October 2012
    So what does everybody think about the idea of Star Wars Episode 7,8 and 9 now being made? Good thing or a bad thing?
    http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/10/30/disney-buying-tar-wars-maker-lucasfilm-for-405b/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20146942

What Lego sets do you think we will get in 2015?
  • RTORTO Member Posts: 65
    prof1515 said:

I guess the good news is at least they're not doing a "remake" or "reboot". Still, I think Star Wars is creatively dead. It's a shallow universe so they may have to take it into unfamiliar territory to breathe any life into it and just hope that the fanbois will still go along.

You've never read Zahn's books, have you?
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Thrawn Trilogy would be the best bet IMHO, but I'm not holding out hope for that
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,835
    Awwwwww its going to be like when Pierce Bosnan became Bond.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,960
    Wow. Wow. WOW.
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised by any of this, from buying of Lucasfilm to more Star Wars movies, but I still am surprised.

Considering Lego has worked with the Disney Franchise as well as Star Wars, I guess I'm not too convinced yet that this will mean any change in the short term, but I could see maybe long term. I'm sure this is too big of a money maker for both parties to rock the boat too much.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,468

Awwwwww its going to be like when Pierce Bosnan became Bond.

The Welsh Bond, Double O theven.
    Redbullgivesuwind
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited October 2012
    ^^^No no no, I equate Pierce Brosnan as the transition from OT to Prequel. Like a softer & nicer version of the original series.

But what I imagine the next SW trilogy (Ep. 7-9) to be is a really messed up universe as they try to make it 'new & different'. For a Bond-comparison, may I present the new and improved 'Black Bond':

http://rt.com/art-and-culture/news/black-james-bond-star-302/

Prepare to 'jump the shark' everyone!
    RTO said:

prof1515 said:

Nope though I've heard that they're ok given the source material they have to work with. The rest of the EU books though are complete trash and demonstrate the lack of depth in the Star Wars universe. Either way, I doubt Disney would do the new film on a preexisting book since that eliminates a lot of suspense of a new trilogy. They might follow them somewhat but that's where it becomes hit-and-miss like any adaptation.

My real concern over this isn't Star Wars but Indiana Jones. Hopefully Spielberg's interest in that franchise will prevent Disney from remaking or rebooting Indy.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,468
    Or female Bond.
    They've already released a clip from Disney Presents Star Wars: Episode 7.
  • stickbug29stickbug29 United StatesMember Posts: 68
    I just sat down on my computer to post this exact same thread. Got beat to spreading news again... :)
    Really kinda sad that they would carry on the movies, but for those getting tired of remake after remake of Lego Star Wars sets, here's some opportunity for some new ones. I wonder what they'll be be...
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,835
    @BrickDancer I think he would be a good Bond. From the limited stuff I have seen him in he is rather good. Though it won't be for a while as Daniel Craig is signed up for two more films.

@CCC I discovered recently Brosnan was Irish. I was a bit shocked. Being massively sexist I wouldn't be able to buy into a female Bond. Anything else that's fine. Just not Bond.

On topic it just doesnt seem like a good move to let Disney release a film every two to three years. At some point its going to reach saturation point and it will start to turn people off (if you haven't already been). In the same way people are losing interest in the merchandise.
  • stegmancostegmanco Member Posts: 42
    So keep ahold of those Star Wars sets as Disney Just bought LucasFilm and plan to make a Trilogy maybe more! It will follow Luke and Lea going forward. I tend to think it might drum up intrest in the sets from Episodes 4-6, and keep the love for MF going.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,938
    As long as the Disney influence means the films are more Avengers than POTC 3/4 then we'll be in for a treat.
    gifinim
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,381
    Disney buys Lucas films.
    While not lego news really (sorry for that) it is news that will be interesting to Lego and what it means for the future of Star Wars lego and the 10 year deal recently signed and oddly the deal with Disney that lego also has. But one thing is for sure, with more films now on the cards and who knows what else we will be seeing so much more, which we knew but for anyone who thought the brand was dead and others might take its mantle in the lego universe... Think again, because at $4 billion and change Disney will milk every last cent out of this one and that means lots and lots of lego tied to every Star Wars project they concoct.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20146942

Again sorry it is not really lego news but I think news that feeds the future of Star Wars lego.. Maybe :)
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,381
    Ah, just posted this as well, might need a mod to combine them. Posts that pass in the night and all.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Good news! I was tired of rehash after rehash for the system scale sets. This should help us out in the boredom department.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    This seems like a good thing for both the Star Wars franchise and George Lucas. It was pretty evident that Lucas lost his touch -- both as a writer and director -- with Episode I, II and III.
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    prof1515 said:

RTO said:

prof1515 said:

Nope though I've heard that they're ok given the source material they have to work with. The rest of the EU books though are complete trash and demonstrate the lack of depth in the Star Wars universe.
    Follow up, is have you read other books, and if so, which ones? It's ok to dislike something you have read, but I get really tweaky when people talk crap about thing they havnt read/heard/seen.

• DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Confused, disappointed, excited. Star Wars might be better in Disneys hands, but probably not considering their interest will also be milking it for what it's worth. Optimistic we'll be getting some cool looking ships/sets/models/figs in 3-4 years though. Definitely need new ones for the future.

On a side note @BrickDancer, I liked Pierce as Bond, but grew to hate him as soon as Daniel Craig took over. In my eyes, he's the ideal vision of how Bond should look and act. Can't see Idris Elba doing it or a female . Too unorthodox
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    I will miss the 20th Century Fox fanfare most of all.
    LostInTranslation
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    just saw on tv that disney's buying lucasfilm and will be making 3 more star wars. guess that explains the 10 year lego starwars licence then.

thank goodness it wont be ten more years of MF and tie fighers
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    oh cr..p duplicate thread ... sorry, am using my phone didnt see it .. mods pls delete
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Lets just hope that it is closer to Empire than it is to ROTJ or AOTC.

Nothing in the recent movies was nearly as cool or scary as those AT-AT walkers.
  • Brickassaul21Brickassaul21 Member Posts: 9
    at least its post Galactic civil war and not clone wars I'm just hoping its at least CGI and not cartoon animated BTW does Disney do CGI shows at all, all I've seen are animated
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    If the next Starwars is anything like John Carter I'm already getting a rope and chair. Disney makes good movies, but they also make even more bad ones. It's not like you can say "Disney only wants to market the hell out of Starwars" without realising that's exactly what Lucas films has been doing. I don't see it being much worse, since I'm pretty sure you can already get Darth Vader's face printed on your child's underwear.

Clone Wars gave me my Starwars fix. But I still think the live-action movies need a revival. And hey, We could get more Lego Indiana Jones too!!!
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002

Lets just hope that it is closer to Empire than it is to ROTJ or AOTC.

Nothing in the recent movies was nearly as cool or scary as those AT-AT walkers.

I'll have to assume you meant RotS, as RotJ is an excellent film (pre-SE, anyway).
    ^ You must be kidding... Jedi is a mess, but to each their own...

I'm off to watch the teddy bears defeat the Empire again! :)
    Redbullgivesuwind

at least its post Galactic civil war and not clone wars I'm just hoping its at least CGI and not cartoon animated BTW does Disney do CGI shows at all, all I've seen are animated

Almost everything Disney does now is CGI, or have you never seen Mickey Mouse Clubhouse?

Episode 7 won't be animated, it will be live action like Ep1-6
  • acedogg77acedogg77 Member Posts: 110
    Thats no moon it's a pair of mouse ears.

I have a bad feeling about this.
    y2joshPenkid11GothamConstructionCoaimlesspursuits
    Jedi remains my favorite of all the films, even in spite of the fact that Empire was probably a bit stronger, albeit largely because it didn't have the problem of having to begin or end the story. But Jedi has the best first act and the best space battle and the Ewok argument holds no water, as they would have been completely unable to do anything on their own (but we've been down that road before in some kind of plausibility thread).
  • wilburwilbur Member Posts: 49
    rocao said:

This seems like a good thing for both the Star Wars franchise and George Lucas. It was pretty evident that Lucas lost his touch -- both as a writer and director -- with Episode I, II and III.

I agree with this statement, and I think it's part of the reason why this could be good for star wars and for fans. Disney is profit driven like everyone else, but they still can make good movies. I see them feeling a lot of pressure to do this well! No one besides lucas has ever done a star wars film, and even though lucas kind of sucked near the end, it was his right to suck because it was his brain child. It irritated people, because everyone holds a special place in their lives for the original trilogy (what it meant for movies, the future of sci fi, orchestral movie soundtracks, awesome characters, etc...), and no one liked seeing the recent installments drop so far in quality. I was upset, and I wasn't even alive to see ROTJ in theaters! I think there's a really strong possibility that Disney will do whatever they can to return Star Wars to what you might call its "original glory!" I think they realize that long-term that will make more money anyway. How they will capture the original star wars ideals on film is something to be discussed... but I think they'll try! Maybe these new star wars films will do for the star wars franchise what Chris Nolan did for batman! who knows....
  • acedogg77acedogg77 Member Posts: 110
    Thats a very positive outlook wilbur and I applaud you for it. My initial thought was oo-oh, but I am slowly coming round to the idea.
    wilbur said:

Maybe these new star wars films will do for the star wars franchise what Chris Nolan did for batman! who knows....

I hope this won't be the case. Lucas came close enough with the PT for my tastes.
  • wilburwilbur Member Posts: 49
    Regardless... I think that as a result of these announcements, we can all expect Lego Star Wars to stay around for many many years!
  • RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    I have no love for Eps 1-3, but if they did movies (and subsequent LEGO sets) for a Thrawn/Zhan trilogy, I would buy them all. All. And I have currently resisted buying any LEGO SW sets.
    acedogg77 said:

Thats no moon it's a pair of mouse ears.

I have a bad feeling about this.

I actually have a very good feeling about this... It is past time for George to pass it on, and quite frankly, I think he finally figured that out.

He did good work for a long time, but at some point, you have to give someone else a shot at it.

This is a chance for someone else to run with it, no reason to expect Ep 7 to be like Ep 1, a different group of people will be doing it, people who are not married to the past, who watched the reaction to Ep 1 for the past 13 years.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 865
    ^I agree - Lucas did a smart thing by passing on the franchise to a company that will be (at least monetarily) able to do the 7-8-9 movies justice. I'm looking forward to seeing Han & Leia's kids do some awesome Jedi mind-tricks!