Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] New wave of clearance at Wal-Mart?

Comments

• scarecrow2400scarecrow2400 USAMember Posts: 99
    ^Picked up a Batcave @ $69.00 last month, was in my local WM (New Mexico) last night and the last one on the shelf was clearanced out to $30.00. Had to pick it up.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    WM sales are all over the board. A person may stumble upon them where they live, but then most of us won't find anything much on sale at our WM's. Heck even the 5 within 15 minutes of my home are all over the board on what they have for sale and when. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's not worth my time and gas money to drive to my WM's to check for a sale when other people on the site mention that they found LEGOS on sale at a WM.

Nice to know that some are getting bargains. It rarely works that way for me at WM.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 789
    ^In a tax free world, those are full price.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 867
    Yeah. The WM dept mgr told me today "that this store never clearances LEGO."
    At least I know which store to avoid now: Tempe, AZ, Priest & Elliot.
  • MarkVMarkV Member Posts: 42
    I was doing some driving for work today and had some spare time to stop off at about - oh, I lost count - 8 to 10 different Walmarts in KY and TN. When I travel by car and have some extra time, I break up the monotony by Walmart shopping for Lego deals. Generally, it's a bust. No, actually, it's always a bust. I sometimes find a couple things at 30% off, but 30% off isn't enough to get me to bite unless it's a $100+ set or it's a set I really want. I am still trying to find a BP and QAR for 30% off. (BPs were full price at one of the places.)

Anyway... On my third to last Walmart, they have 6867 (Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape) on the shelf and the shelf tag says $7. I haven't been collecting Avengers enough to know the price - other than that one $12.99 set that Walmart always has on clearance for $12.97. That said, the piece count to $ ratio says something is up - you don't get 181 pieces with 3 minifigs for $7. I did the price finder scan. Woo! Showed up for $7. Cleaned out the whole 7 boxes. I know BFD, but this is my first score from 30+ (might be closer to 50) Walmart visits.

Anyway, if you're driving I-75 in KY and TN, it's probably not worth your time unless you want to roll the dice on a 30% off set... I was particularly annoyed at the stores that had signs on Lego sets saying "As Advertised" for sets and the price was just MSRP. It's almost as annoying as "CLEARANCE" when the clearance price is $.02 off.
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    I've got at least 10 Wal-Mart stores within 30 miles from where I live and none of the clearance lego sets are all that great, maybe 10-20% off.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    Found some clearence at a different walmart. Either someone had inside info on the sales or they've been going on longer there then others i've checked out since there was almost no lego. There was one POTC set, 3 different AC sets(got 2 UFO encounters for $13 each), a cars set, a lego lighthouse island at 25% off, 1 creator plane for 1.97 off retail, and what i assume was 1 lego friends poly bag in clearence. No series 5 figures to be found.
    One nice thing about one of the WM's in my area is that they will sometimes (and randomly) state that everything on clearance is an additional half off. Sometimes I can snag LEGO then.

Funny thing. As someone mentioned, sometimes they only discount an item from $12.99 to $12.97, or such, but when they do it gets a red sticker which qualifies it for the extra 50% off during the special. Also, these specials are unadvertised. So much so, that the cashiers take the discount at the register. They see a red sticker they mark the item half off the red sticker price.
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190
    cloaked, how do you know when the extra 50% sales are in effect? Are there signs?
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    MarkV said:

Anyway, if you're driving I-75 in KY and TN, it's probably not worth your time unless you want to roll the dice on a 30% off set... I was particularly annoyed at the stores that had signs on Lego sets saying "As Advertised" for sets and the price was just MSRP. It's almost as annoying as "CLEARANCE" when the clearance price is $.02 off.

Just ran into this the other night, had to price scan all the LEGO Super Heroes sets with those tags just to be sure, all MSRP. -_-;;

• aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    @legomason at my local stores they've had signs next to the clearance aisle stating the extra 50% off red tagged items.
    @legomason At my WM they announce it on the PA system every 15 mins or so. I don't recall seeing any signs. Course, every WM is different. The 2nd closest WM to me doesn't ever do the half off clearance.
  • AnthonyC173AnthonyC173 Member Posts: 101
    maybe this is why people like target more than walmart. Cuz it sounds like walmart itsn't consistent with each store, even with stores close by each other. I work at a target, having 4 of them around me, and all of them are the same in price and clearance. When a lego set is on clearance any target around the area will be the same.
    but hearing that other people going to walmart and finding nothing makes me feel better, srry but your troubles makes me sleep better, cuz here i was cursing my life not living near a walmart thinking im missing out on these great deals.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ your area may be unique, but generally Targets do not have the same clearance items and prices.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 738
    gmpirate said:

^ your area may be unique, but generally Targets do not have the same clearance items and prices.

I'd have to agree...I have 2 Targets 9 miles apart and their 'clearance' items and prices aren't the same. I bought a bunch of Lego watches just after X-Mas for $5.06each and the other Target just put some on clearance for $11.?? during their latest clearance sales. They don't clearance at the same time either....one of the Target clearances stuff out a lot slower by a few weeks.

scotty12 said:

gmpirate said:

I'd have to agree...I have 2 Targets 9 miles apart
    maybe it is unique..considering there are two target which are literally only a few hundred feet away from each other. And yes they are two separate targets.
    anyways not to go off topic, i just went to walmart and found some clearance but only 30% off and it wasn't anything good
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,983
    I used to work for Target in an area where there were 5 stores within a 20 mile radius and they all had differing clearance prices on the same items depending on how well they had been selling. The advantage of Target over Wal-Mart is they decrease their clearance prices in the same intervals at every store (-15% > -30% > -50% > -70%) so you can predict the next level of pricing and make a good guess if there is enough product to wait for the next drop or not.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    I have not seen any big Lego "Clearance" at the Target stores around me. They usually have $1-2 price drops on some LEGO sets around this time of the year which are consistent across the 3-4 stores.
    Walmart prices differ wildly between stores. I have seen MF for rrp in one store and for $109.99 at another
  • Little3piggiesLittle3piggies Member Posts: 40

scotty12 said:

gmpirate said:

I'd have to agree...I have 2 Targets 9 miles apart
    maybe it is unique..considering there are two target which are literally only a few hundred feet away from each other. And yes they are two separate targets.
    anyways not to go off topic, i just went to walmart and found some clearance but only 30% off and it wasn't anything good
    What city are those targets in, you've piqued my interest!
    edited October 2012
    ^
    its around San Francisco

I've given up on my Walmarts, they are sticking with 30% off to the bitter end. Passing on the Podracers so I can eventually get MMV down the line.
  • vedder1029vedder1029 Member Posts: 78
    edited October 2012
    Found a Batcave last night at WM for $35, not bad!

They had TONS of Heroica games marked below 50% off, $3.50, $6.25, and $11.00 respectively.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,154

staffmark said:

How the heck do you guys find these kinds of deals? I just went back to the wlamart in my area where 5 days ago the whole aisle was discounted 30% ....and ALL of it was gone. In my area (suburban Chicago) Lego goes like hotcakes as soon as it hits 30%, every time. I am really jealous hearing about these deals you guys are finding- but good for you!

Thats what i was wondering. Walmarts around here are so slow to put items on any sort of decent price lately.

In the Chicago area it is hit and miss.. in all if the sales I have heard about, I only found a handful of sets at one Walmart. But since then nothing, OR if there are sets, they are regular price.
    I also think there are those that literally hit Walmarts every day at 8am or have developed relationships with the managers to know exactly when items go on sale, nevermind those AFOLS that work at a walmart.... Combine all of those and it is hard to find sets at Walmarts or KMarts that are clearanced.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Such legendary WM discounts... grats to the lucky ones!
    I've made some really good finds, but in the end I doubt the journey was worth it.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    Hit some WM this weekend and found 2 that had the Vampyre Castle on Clearance. In both cases, it was the regular price but was red-tagged in the clearence section. That is usually an indicator that it will get marked down in a week or two.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    ^They have the castle in the clearance section of my closest store, but it still has the yellow tag with RRP on there.

There are some sets left on clearance. A few Genosian fighters, handful of Hero Factory, and the yellow creator car #5767. All of them are only about 20-25%, which is not cheap enough for me.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    The clearance section at Walmart near me is gone and replaced by Christmas things. IIRC, this happens every year near the end of the year for this particular Walmart. I guess this is unique to this store.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ all of the ones around me are like that now.
  • herekittykittyherekittykitty Member Posts: 122
    edited October 2012
    I found 4204 the Mine and the Vampyre Castle for $60 each the other day - but this was at a super Walmart in an economically disadvantaged area, so not typical across the board. This particular Walmart seems to mark down bigger sets early and have more on sale than other stores (for example, the super Walmart on the nicer side of town has both sets for full price).

I also found two of 7346 seaside house for half off at a different Walmart. I'm wondering if those were returns, because they were the only Lego in the clearance area.

Both of these stores still have a small clearance area - like one section of shelving on one side of one aisle. At the bigger nicer store, it's on one or two endcaps, but it's really just junk left at this point.
    Same herekitty, 1 out of the 3 Walmarts in Billings Montana is like that, picked up Creationary for $25 there yesterday. Their clearance section is in their garden area which feels very different than most garden areas.
    None of the 3 Walmarts near me have them on sale. I asked and I was given the line of "not til the series is done with". I think she was just giving me crap so I'd leave. This WM still has 2 full isles of toys on clearance but it's been moved from the summer/x-mas area to the tools/paint area 20ft away. They still have 7961 Darth Maul and 3-4 Superheroes 6868 both priced at $49ea
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    $49 is reg price for 6868 but its 30% off for 7961. 30% isn't the greatest when it comes to WM discounts but still isn't that bad.
    "Actually....." (I'm quoting my 5yr old neice there)...regular price for 6868 is $49.99...now WM has it on clearance for and even $49.00. lol...Bargain!!! 30% off for the 7961 hasn't been much of a incentive to sell it either. None have sold since they were put on 'sale' in July.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    7961 was way over priced to begin with, it should have been $49 to start with.

Amazon has had it on sale for $48 for so long now (months) that it has become the "normal price".
    A little late to the party, but I finally picked up my $111 GE that was shipped to store. It was in it's own box. And, amazingly, the box was a perfect fit. The GE arrived in good shape. No stickers, etc. on the GE itself.

Also, going back to the reference about their LEGO set from WM not being in a box. When I went back to the WM pick up area they had 2 4 foot stacks of torn down cardboard boxes. Which would be expected at a WM. They have cardboard boxes out the wahzoo, so no reason to ship something without a box.

Also, the box my GE was in was reused box. No big deal. Smart on WM's part if you ask me. Why not reuse something like that?
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ When I picked up my sets the worker there did ask if he could keep the outer cardboard box the sets were shipped to the store in, because they were "low on boxes." That just seemed bizarre to me. The boxes had labels all over them and were pretty beat up. I kept them, because it happened to be raining that day.
    ^ yeah, how in the world could WM be low on boxes? Unless they workers put them in the compactor when they shouldn't, or some such. I worked in a WM like store decades ago while going to college and even back then they recycled cardboard. I'm sure WM does too, along with grocery stores, etc. I would think very few companies trash clean cardboard boxes.
  • Little3piggiesLittle3piggies Member Posts: 40
    Walmart does recycle their cardboard boxes. But i'm assuming you picked yours up at the Site2Store counter, which is also the lay-away counter (during xmas) so they are using large empty boxes to put people's layaway in. Each order gets its own box.
  • baronbaron Member Posts: 106
    my wal mart has some 7067 Jet Copter Encounters for 20$...although I'm not too sure if they're worth picking up...not really a theme that interests me and the resale value can't be that high for this theme..
    My Walmart reduced the Podracers from $64 to $62... >_>
  • turtle1173turtle1173 Member Posts: 230
    Walmart here reduced the Frigate from $79 to $70. I picked a few up earlier in the year for half price, so these aren't really that tempting yet.
  • zenthranzenthran Member Posts: 1
    I picked up the Marina (4644) For 20.00. They have alot of cars stuff on clearance as well. Going to go check a few of the other Wal-Marts in the area.
  • byhovabyhova IndianaMember Posts: 55
    I just purchased the City Police Station 7498 for $49.00 (50% off) and they also have the Star Wars Republic Frigate 7964 for $49.50 and not sure whether or not to purchase it (not a Star Wars collector) but I just enjoy Lego with my son (and the bigger sets myself) so I'm up in the air about this one just because its such a good price any suggestions.
    $49.50 is a great price. Why not? It really does not get any better than that. I don't buy the Frigates for resale, but at that price I sure would. For a build its a no brainer.
    Only 1 of my 3 local Walmarts had a toy clearance section, so I stopped by today and 4-5 employees were frantically repricing toys. I must have a local competitor for the clearance Legos because someone within a 1/2 hour purchased 8 Darth Maul Sith Infiltrators for $15each. I was able to get the last 3368 Space Centre for $15 and a Dino 5886 T-Rex Hunter for $15 and 3858 Waldurk Forest Heroica Game for $4ea, 3859 Caverns of Nathuz for $4ea and 3857 Draida Bay Heroica Game for $3ea. I bought a few extra games to give one each to the library for their afterschool program and the rest for extra pieces.
    Yet this store still have 2 6868 in the clearance toy isle for $49. And yes...I asked twice...those they weren't going to price drop any. Even though they've been sitting there for 2 months already.
    ^ I'm guessing somewhere in the midwest?
    Yes...sorry...NE Iowa.
    Is usually the case with that kind of Walmart sale :P
  • DeckerDecker Member Posts: 65
    The only thing on clearence that my Walmart has is 7962 Pidracers for $38.50. They have about 20 of them. Bummer for me as I have zero interest in prequel SW sets. I can pick them up if anyone is interested. Any one wanna trade for a clearanced out Police Station?