Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

October 2012: Monthly Builder's Challenge: Food

MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 853
edited October 2012 in Building and Techniques
October 2012 Building Challenge:
October 16, 2012 is World Food Day, a day recognized internationally by over 150 countries.   It is a day to raise awareness and understanding of approaches to ending hunger.  In light of this, the first Building Challenge will be themed around food.

Challenge Idea:
Build an item of food with LEGO, keeping it within the Challenge Limitations.

Challenge Limitations:
A) 150 pieces maximum. 

How to Enter:
Post one picture per entry to this month's thread. Take the picture to illustrate the entire build. 

Deadline:
October 31, 2012

Remember, this is NOT a contest. There are NO winners or prizes. This is a building challenge. All entries are welcome. This is to help us to learn more about and discuss techniques, tips, and dilemmas associated with 'the build'. 

The challenge is about the building experience, not necessarily the final result. We should all continue to learn and grow as LEGO builders! Finally, the Challenge Idea should be considered guidance. Feel free to interpret it however you choose.  Have fun, and enjoy the build!

Comments

• GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 722
    Good starting challenge have some ideas floating about already.

Limitation B), I'm assuming no pink flesh minifigures or set specific elements?
    MorkMan
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    edited October 2012
    ^ what is wrong with pink flesh minifigs? Because they are licensed themes typically? (Otherwise that would be LEGO racism...).
    MorkMan
    I just wanted to clarify the no licensed theme part limitation. I use both skin tones depending on the context of my MOCs.

:-)
    MorkMan
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    Limitation B removed at MorkMan's request: it's obviously causing confusion!
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 853
    Thanks, Huw. This one is pretty much a free for all. Build it with only the 150 piece maximum. Other than that, enjoy!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,392
    How many parts is a minifig? 1, 4 or 10?
    MorkMan
    ^ I would count a minifig as 4 parts, as per pick a brick.
    MorkMan
    Isn't it 3? Legs, Torso and Head? If you're right at the limit of 150 and you REALLY need a hat - just go for it.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Only hatless, bald minifigs count as 3.
    MorkMan
    I built my first try today. A lime. My wife told me it didn't look like a lime. Limes don't look like rectangles, I guess. Think think think...
    Galactus
    edited October 2012
    Haha... curved surfaces are always hard to render in brick. This video might inspire you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv1kzeHcJJ4
    MorkManCam_n_Stu
    @brickmatic That's exactly what I was thinking of when I opened up this discussion. I never knew how easy it was to make a sphere - you've now inspired me to switch to another fruit instead of my originally created rectangular lime. Stay tuned.
    ^^ great video.The technique remains the same and you can build on a larger scale. I would use the 1x2 bricks as they offer the most strength.
    edited October 2012
    This is timely! TMNT Pizza
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    edited October 2012
    Hello all. I'm going dive in with my 'entry', or whatever we should call it.

This is Beans on Toast. If you're not from the UK, I expect you'll have to look it up!

What I wanted to try here, was having studs (although the toast itself it studless) facing in all 4 flat directions. Experimented with headlight bricks, which really are little miracles of geometry.

There are just under 50 pieces in the toast, and 100 orange beans (1x1 round bricks would have been better I think, but they aren't available in orange).

I wanted to try doing a darker edge to the toast (for a crust), but unfortunately same of the curved slopes I've used are not available in reddish brown. Also would have liked to do 2 pieces of toast, but would then have only had a handful of beans to get inside 150 pieces.

Thanks for looking, and comments are appreciated.
    HuwLegoPodcasterMorkManJasenSi_UKNZCam_n_StuLloydZXprincedravencarlq
    Spaghetti instead .... with 57539 ? You might get away with less pieces.

Or yellow plates for cheese.
    Great entry @leemcg.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Excellent Lee now I am hungry :O)

Would love to see the crusted version... maybe you can hide the non-brown bits with beans??!
    @caperberry. I did a POV-Ray render of the toast with no limitations on colour of pieces. No beans though - that was too hard in LDD.

We're only meant to put one photo here, so here's a link to my flickr:

flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8090137513/
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Ahh, virtual toast.
    plasmodiumCam_n_Stu
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    Very good, Lee, but I like a bit of grated cheese and worcester sauce on mine :-)
    Nice! Your rendition of toast in LEGO is lovely. Being American, I suppose my appreciation for beans on toast is limited. However, it sure beats your other culinary innovation of putting Marmite on toast.
    ^ Mmmmmm. Even better is marmite on toast, topped with beans, then cheese. Then grilled.
    Thanks everyone for the comments. And thanks @Morkman for getting this off the ground.

Nice! Your rendition of toast in LEGO is lovely. Being American, I suppose my appreciation for beans on toast is limited. However, it sure beats your other culinary innovation of putting Marmite on toast.

Nothing beats Marmite on toast :-)

^^ You're welcome! This has been fun. I'm not done with my submission. I'd better get cranking!
  • Lego_MooseLego_Moose Member Posts: 36
    Here is my entry.
    Pancakes with maple syrup, a strawberry and some massive blueberries.
    About 150 pieces with the syrup cup.
    Comments, criticism welcome.
    LegoPodcaster
    Looks like LEGO lends itself to flat food items. Love the syrup cup addition. Very creative strawberry greenery!
    @Lego_Moose. Managed to include some good detailing and kept to the 150 part count. Good entry.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Not got time to do an entry this month (working on a halloween display), but thought I would post my joke 'entry':

In case you don't get it:
    Crab Stig's
    (Crab Sticks - Get it??).... I'll just get my coat....
    TheBrickLadd
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Oh...dear...
    andhe
  • Lego_MooseLego_Moose Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the comment @GothamConstrutionCo
    And thanks to @Morkman for organizing this
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    My entry for the October 2012 Monthly build challenge of food is; Sushi. I've seen several renditions in the past of sushi made from Lego but I haven't seen any using this build method. I went through several renditions until I settled with what I have now. I went with a completely studless design, which is something I do often. I learned a lot during this build, having to always remember that five plates high = 2 bricks wide. That's how I managed to get plates going in each direction. It was also a challenge using only what I had on hand for pieces. I forgot to do a parts count, but it will be around the 120 pieces range.

I think it looks good enough to eat!

2012-10-28 21.16.10
    LostInTranslation
    Presentations everything. Nice build @CuplsHalfEmpty.
    edited October 2012
    Nice, but those dinner plates are foreign objects.

It will be difficult to get a studless plate that big while keeping down the number of parts, but maybe a few 90498. Works especially well for the Japanese style square plates.
    edited October 2012
    CCC said:

Nice, but those dinner plates are foreign objects.

I concur. but in my defence, the monthly build was food, not utensils and plates... lol.

I am under the 150 parts count, maybe I can scrounge up something plate like from my collection.

On another note, any word on Novembers challenge?

Billy
    Your chopsticks are brick / plate / tile built aren't they? If not, they look the perfect size and shape for eating lego sushi.
    Very nice. I won't count the plate as a part. Just a frame of reference. You guys put my lime to shame! Bravo.
    @ccc Yes the chopsticks are just 1x1 grey bricks. I was glad I had a ton of them from a grab bag.

@MorkMan Thank you for putting this together!

Billy
    Everyone - you're welcome for putting it together. It's been my pleasure! I've learned through everyone else and that's what it was all about.

As for my submission, you've all put mine to shame.
    See if you can spot the LEGO lime. image
    CapnRex101
    @CupIsHalfEmpty Great submission. I certainly don't have any problem with you including a plate. As @GothamConstructionCo said very nice composition.

I genuinely can't tell how you built it though - I think that's a great sign! Is the roll 2 studs thick maybe? And wouldn't look quite right from some other angles? Or am I just being thick?

@Morkman. Even in this studs up, no-plate version, I think the lime would look better if you left off the 8 corner studs.
    ^ I also was working with the limitation of only lime green 1x2 bricks. I'll see if I can modify. Thanks for the suggestion! See, I'm learning...
    I'm guessing it doesn't have to be life-size?
    @leemcg It does have a depth of two studs. The sushi roll is complete and looks great on five of the six sides. Currently the very back is just a 4x4 black plate that caps off the inside. I never actually thought to fill in the back side to make it symmetrical. I may have to pull it apart and do some experimentation. Currently some of the sides of the roll are attached using bricks with studs in all directions it may be difficult to maintain the center of the roll and still attach the outsides. On another note, I love your slice of toast! very well designed, very clean looking.

@morkman the lime looks great. I think you did a great job getting the shape with the limited pieces you have.
    edited October 2012
    Well, here goes, I guess. I'm going with a sort of 'minimalist' style (partially because I don't have too many bricks at the moment), ie, how few bricks can I use and it still be recognisable? Kinda like what the haiku is to the world of poetry is what my banana is to the world of Lego fruit ;-). (It's late-ish because I had to cannibalise a couple of bits from some of my brother's sets.)

I also feel that the addition of the monkeys presents some sort of aesthetic dilemma. Is this human-scale and therefore a tiny banana? Or is it monkey-scale and therefore a giant banana? Or is it both? Or am I reading too much art into this slightly pathetic Lego creation? :P
    (Edit: You can't quite get a feel for the shape of the banana because the right-hand monkey's paw is in front of the end of it, but that's a cheese slope at the end, which does give it quite a banana-ish shape.)
    Thezoofox
    Excellent looking banana.
    ^^My 2 year old recognized the monkey's right away, but when I asked what the yellow part was he said "It's a tree. A banana tree." I love it.
    Thanks! I just love those monkeys, so when I came up with the banana design, I had to use them.
    Those monkeys look like they can't believe their luck :-)
    It looks like someone has started to tuck into it! Get a brick separator. :-)