Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Legoboy's insight into sets EOL in 2012 and those staying on for 2013

Comments

• mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Pitfall69 said:

I like the Joust, but it does seem expensive to me. I still haven't haven't picked one up. I haven't seen a good enough deal for me to warrant me buying it.

To me, it is like the B-Wing. I won't buy it unless it is on sale at a good price.

Joust is priced ok at $120. If you wanted it, then you missed a good deal when it was down to $93.

B-Wing OTOH at $199 is insanely overpriced and I just don't see the appeal of it. Ok looking ship, but it looks pretty weird as a display model.

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    With over 1,500 parts, Joust is reasonable in the price dept, where it falls down is needing two of them to "look right".

MMV has the same issue with needing two of them, but for $99 for 1,600 parts, and being on sale for $89 about half of the time, that isn't so painful.

The B-Wing is amazing, nice and big, just as it should be, but yes, it is 25% over priced. At $149 it would have been much more interesting.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    ^ Why do you think that two MMV are needed to make it look right? I guess a village typically contains more than two buildings, but that's why I think the Joust castle looks really good as a center piece to MMV.

I agree that pushing two Joust sets to make it complete is kind of stupid. You wind up with a bunch of extra pieces. They should of probably just made the castle complete and charged $150.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I think one MMV on either side of "town" looks right, you need more than one to create a village.

In my opinion in any case...
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Joust isn't going anywhere, guys. LEGO doesn't release these large sets for less than a year. It will absolutely be around through next Christmas.
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    Since this thread is about "confirmed" EOLs, and since very few people have access to confirmed lists outside of TLG, and since we are drifting into speculation, I think this thread should be closed and possible merged with the other one.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,829
    ^ I agree and have been wondering the same, although would prefer rather than close it, the 'speculative' posts be removed and merged with the the other one leaving this one free of speculation.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,652
    So how do you tell the difference between one person's knowledge with another person's speculation, if no proof is to be shown?
    edited October 2012
    ^ Simples. If you don't have anything to confirm, you don't post. If you'd like to speculate and discuss their reselling values, you post in the 'Prediction' thread.

The fact that this thread is actually named 'Confirmed' rather than 'Speculate all you want', that's how you tell the difference!

You might actually find another hint of an answer in the OP's initial post:-
    "Please only add to the list what you KNOW is staying and going". That ought to be enough to rule out speculation.

I, along with most here, know who they can pretty much rely upon when they are posting info. There might be the odd slip-up or a small part of the detail might be a bit scew-iff, but on a whole, I know who and what I can trust.
  • BenxSmithBenxSmith Member Posts: 9
    I jump in with the Maersk roumers then, picked em up all over town today. Sitting on 15 at the moment, hope they do good.
    Also bought 4 complete collections of Lord of the Rings. What do you guys expect from lotr? it looks really cool.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    I agree with leaving this here. I could be wrong but I believe the initial post was made to help people pick up sets for personal consumption before they disappear and had nothing to do with loading up the wardrobe.

Facts here. Dreams, fantasy and speculation in the other.
    flump said:

^ Simples. If you don't have anything to confirm, you don't post. If you'd like to speculate and discuss their reselling values, you post in the 'Prediction' thread.

The fact that this thread is actually named 'Confirmed' rather than 'Speculate all you want', that's how you tell the difference!

"Please only add to the list what you KNOW is staying and going". That ought to be enough to rule out speculation.

I, along with most here, know who they can pretty much rely upon when they are posting info. There might be the odd slip-up or a small part of the detail might be a bit scew-iff, but on a whole, I know who and what I can trust.

I understand that, it is enforcing it. If a mod is going to go through and move posts out of this thread because they believe it is speculation, then is it up to them to decide on the trustworthness of the poster, since no-one is willing / able to post proof.
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    CCC said:

So how do you tell the difference between one person's knowledge with another person's speculation, if no proof is to be shown?

I would think this would be straight forward, especially in a thread titled "Confirmed EOL sets", but ultimately if you have a trusted source for information, and choose to share said information, I would consider it confirmed.

If you don't have a legitimate source, it's speculation (at best).

Also just want to call out that @Flump is in no way obligated to share any information and I give props for doing so.

MinifigsMe

CCC said:

I would think this would be straight forward, especially in a thread titled "Confirmed EOL sets", but ultimately if you have a trusted source for information, and choose to share said information, I would consider it confirmed.

If you don't have a legitimate source, it's speculation (at best).

Also just want to call out that @Flump is in no way obligated to share any information and I give props for doing so.

Yeah, I am not saying Flump's info is wrong. It is just that if someone else says that they know something else is going, then is that speculation or confirmed? If they say they cannot show proof, should their post be moved?
    CCC said:

flump said:

I understand that, it is enforcing it. If a mod is going to go through and move posts out of this thread because they believe it is speculation, then is it up to them to decide on the trustworthness of the poster, since no-one is willing / able to post proof.
    Apologies CCC. Have a rough bill of health today and just want to go home and curl up! Can do without the confrontation, albeit I accept I jumped in with two feet a moment ago.

In answer to your actual question, and not the one Darth Flump read, I think the mods just need to learn who they can trust really. I'm not the only one with info to share in here. So far in this thread, there is one member who knows what they are talking about - they know who they are. There are a few others we can rely upon. I'm sure in the same way I have learnt to know who is legit and who's not, the mods will too.

Really it is down to the poster though. Unless they are willing to make a substantial bet that what they are saying will follow through, please don't add new sets.

Another reason for keeping the thread seperate is to avoid the page after page of reselling speculation. I just want to know what's staying and what's going. I suspect the vast majority of this forum do too. :o)
    Si_UKNZMinifigsMenkx1dragonhawk
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Agree that it would be nice to keep this about timing rather than after-sales value.

After-sales value will always be speculation and attract long waffly discussions, which is fine for those who want that, but for those who just want the facts on retirement dates, it's nice to get this without having to wade through all the speculative stuff. It's fun to speculate, but not much fun to read.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 789
    It's funny how this thread "warned"us ahead of time about sets EOLing, because every one of those sets were already gone from the nearest Brand Store. I'm sure hoping that some websites will have deals on these particular sets come Black Friday.

Agree that it would be nice to keep this about timing rather than after-sales value.

After-sales value will always be speculation and attract long waffly discussions, which is fine for those who want that, but for those who just want the facts on retirement dates, it's nice to get this without having to wade through all the speculative stuff. It's fun to speculate, but not much fun to read.

I agree to an extent. Timing is more important than predicted value (to a collector/consumer rather than a reseller). But it is only useful if you know the timing before the event happens (as hinted at by penkid above). Fortunately, EOL rarely means impossible to get hold of for most sets. Instead, it just means buy it soon.
    ^ Although Penkid is US based and we know that their shelves generally get emptied before ours.

I know that all of those sets I listed, other than DA perhaps, are still available in UK Brand Stores right now and so we are finding out beforehand. If the general concensus is for me not to list since you're finding that I'm reporting on 'old news' (Maersk anybody?), then I will stop.

EOL means 'end of production' as far as we're concerned - not 'unavailable'.
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    ^By all means, continue.....
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    ^^ I don't think that's the consensus at all. Please continue. :)
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^^No more commercials, back to the 'Flump's News Show' please :)
    Does EOL mean worldwide? Are there any sets that stop being produced and shipped to a specific country, only for another country / continent to keep getting them?
    ^ I'm not sure to be honest. I think we're generally the same these days with one or two exceptions. The one that always sticks in my mind was the UCS ISD. It had just been pulled in the UK when I came out of my Dark Ages but was available for months in the US.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    I would think once it's out of production, it's out of production. But that doesn't mean that Europe can't have massive stockpiles of something, while the US basically has nothing, or vice versa. Just a supply chain/inventory/sales thing.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    edited October 2012
    Ninjago Lightning Dragon Battle, #2521, for example. Still available in the UK while, I think, and am happy to be corrected, unavailable in the US for some time.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 789
    ^You are correct.
  • BillybrownBillybrown UKMember Posts: 748
    Yes swings in roundabouts Hogwarts Castle 4842 is still available in USA, yet I cant find any at RRP or below in the UK. They are already £150 +
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    LOL! The new subject title made me crack up.

• DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    edited October 2012
    ^LOL at new title
    Toads! Who do I have to pay to get my name taken down?
  • atxleeatxlee Member Posts: 155
    I can't help smiling when I saw your name on the thread title :-)
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    ^ Do you really not like it? As I said early in this thread, although it has been "confirmed" to you, I don't want to give the impression that it has been confirmed by TLG to Brickset. In the absence of that, it remains rumor or speculation, but some people took offense to that label in the past, so I figured this was the most accurate :P

Hahahahaha! nice to see someone else getting the thread name treatment :)
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    ^^Give up the name of the next SW USC and then we'll talk. Ribbit.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    edited October 2012
    @flump - thats what you get for being a good neighbor! Ha! There is a mod somewhere for whom Flump will be lurking!
  • BillybrownBillybrown UKMember Posts: 748
    Thanks to Flumps insight I bought 4 more 10219's today - costs me a fortune this forum;-)
    @Si, the first person I thought of when I saw it was you.

@rocao, I had bets on it was you!! Toad. I recall what you said before, but this ain't my party. Anybody with any confirmed info. But if it helps BS cover their backside......! :-P
    For the record, I wrote "flump" and someone else changed it to "flumpy"
    Lol.
    A big thank you to whoever added the "Y", it made me smile.
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 782
    The "y" does add a sense of credibility ;-)
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Why. Must. This. Forum. Exist. To. Make. Me. Buy. Even. More. LE. GO!
    Okay, off to Amazon to buy a Maersk train or two...
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    flump said:

My guy says he can't find anything anywhere suggesting the GE is to EOL this year.

I'm tending to believe @forumreader's post about the flower piece coming from the mold without the open stud being the reason for GE's status of OOS.
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/122321/#Comment_122321

They are probably trying to bring the open stud mold back on-line, or perhaps redesigning that part of GE.
    ^ The red arrow just means you have to push it REALLY hard :P
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,672
    I got flump-ed into getting a #10219, good thing it is double VIP points :)
  • legoleppylegoleppy MarylandMember Posts: 76
    I have a question about EOLing. I am debating getting the GE or FB and would like to get both eventually but want to get whichever will be EOLed. My question is how does TLG announce when a set will stopped being made? And once they do announce a set will be discontinued, how long can you buy the sets at retail price before they really jump up?
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    edited October 2012
    ^They do not announce it. They just stop making them, and depending on the set(in this case the modulars), they will most likely rise in price as soon as all stocks from Lego and other online carriers are gone, if not sooner. So buy now:). As far as which to buy first, your guess is as good as anyones. By all accounts, FB should go first, but who knows. (Besides Flumpy)
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Yup, who knows??? As mentioned earlier in the thread, speculation should probably be reserved for the...well...Speculation thread.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    I applaud "Flumpy" for providing this information and for not going out of his mind with all the questions about what else is being EOL'd. Oh...and his new name :)