Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Memories...re-discovering old sets.

plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
edited October 2012 in Everything else LEGO
I have always had Lego in my house, given that I'm only a young adult, and I have a little, brother, so I've never had a 'dark age', but I know plenty of you out there have. However, we recently moved, and I was unpacking some of my (and my brother's) Lego that I haven't seen for a year (and some that had been in storage that I hadn't seen for maybe 7 years) and it certainly brings back memories. Do any of you have memories of re-discovering your Lego? Are there particular sets that always bring back memories?

Comments

• turtle1173turtle1173 Member Posts: 230
    I had such a moment earlier in the year. My Dad found some of my old Lego's while cleaning at his house (we live 10 hours away). In particular, he found the 1989 Siege Tower and the 1989 Pirates Forbidden Island. Both were in great shape with boxes and instructions. He brought them down to me on a visit. My son and I had a ball building those :-) Great times!!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    We put a box away every year. Inside we put a couple of our cheap but favourite sets, MISB. Then date it ten years from now and into the loft it goes. Should give a nice surprise in the future.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
    edited October 2012
    CCC said:

Should give a nice surprise in the future.

Sounds like you're leaving them for future archaeologists, when they excavate your house. :D

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited October 2012
    ^^^ Do you mean 1984 #6061 Siege Tower? That is a nice set with good memories for me - I got that in my stocking one christmas, along with the catapult. For some reason i awoke at about 3.30. By 4.00am they were both built and I played with them until about 7.00am when the rest of the family (finally) woke up. A few years ago I popped to my parents to re-aquire my (and my brothers) old lego. One of the first things I saw was the instructions for #6080 Kings castle. Well it would have been rude not to build that straight away, it sits proudly in my boys bedroom (along with the black falcons fortress and guarded inn). Another I had to build straight away was #6971, intergalactic command base.

CCC said:

Should give a nice surprise in the future.

Sounds like you're leaving them for future archaeologists, when they excavate your house. :D

I discussed this with the kids when we first did it. They will be late teens when the first box can be opened. I did wonder about going for 25 years, so it would be opened hopefully when they have kids, but I got voted down.
  • dino_girldino_girl LondonMember Posts: 107
    When I dug my old sets out of my dad loft I found #6803 space patrol which always lived on my bedside table it was like meeting an old friend he now lives on my bedside table again
  • stegmancostegmanco Member Posts: 42
    I just had my first son, and have been in nastalgia mode since his birth. I came out of my Dark Ages and rebuilt all of my old sets first and foremost was #6059
    I actually meant to post this:

I just had my first baby a son, and have been in nostalgia mode since his birth 3 months ago. I came out of my Dark Ages and rebuilt all of my old sets during his first few weeks born. Then I bought all of the super hero’s sets like a fiend. Now I am looking for a reason to buy all the LoTR sets and build them too. I first and foremost built my favorite set #6059 which still has trouble staying together at the seams. Then I built the first set that started my love for Lego #6038 and the clever hiding of the treasure in the body of the cart. I can still feel the excitement of unwrapping it. I can see my teeth marks all over the pieces trying to take it apart then putting it back to gather over and over again.
    StuBoy
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,672
    Coming back from my dark ages, I could only think of getting my hand back on #8860 that I remember was a gift for my 10th birthday. My LEGO collection from my youth was given away when my parents moved but thanks to eBay and bricklink I got that set back... But I also miss all my classic space sets...

^^^ Do you mean 1984 #6061 Siege Tower? That is a nice set with good memories for me - I got that in my stocking one christmas, along with the catapult. For some reason i awoke at about 3.30. By 4.00am they were both built and I played with them until about 7.00am when the rest of the family (finally) woke up. A few years ago I popped to my parents to re-aquire my (and my brothers) old lego. One of the first things I saw was the instructions for #6080 Kings castle. Well it would have been rude not to build that straight away, it sits proudly in my boys bedroom (along with the black falcons fortress and guarded inn). Another I had to build straight away was #6971, intergalactic command base.

Yes, #6061, that's the set. What a fun little set! The instruction manuals sure have come a long way over the years.
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    I fondly remember playing with several of my old sets. However, my memories seem to be better than the reality because when I actually find the specific set I have such great memories of, it invariably seems "smaller" than I remember it.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 594
    For my 24th birthday last week, I built my old Wolfpack Tower again. I went all-out and cleaned the pieces prior to rebuilding. Unfortunately, I had to replace a few cracked pieces, and the brown hood I ordered from someone on eBay came to me cracked and chipped, so I couldn't use it for my third Wolfpack renegade. But the set looks great now next to my new #6086 Black Knight's Castle, and I am like 10 year-old me again, diving into ye olde medieval world of sword and shield.
    I was suprrised how few lego's I actually had. My memory was of them, was much more epic then when I reoppened the box they were stored in for 15 years. I aslo wonder how the heck a 7-10 year old was so anal as I was because I was only missing a handful of parts, which I bricklinked and completed the sets. I actually took much better care of them then I would have thought, as I can't even find my keys before work now. Much less a gold coin from #6258
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    #8860 - yep got most of that one, but not quite all. Somehow the MASSIVE tyres are splashed with paint. Love the moving chairs in that, somehow more impressive than the rack and pinion steering... at the time it was a mechanical wonder, now we've become so used to that kind of functionality on almost any toy.

@bea - yep thats definately true and its not just that we have bigger hands now. I think we were more easily impressed in those days. Theres something nice about that.
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    edited October 2012
    @cheshirecat Yes, I wasn't necessarily thinking of physical size of the sets, but just how much wonder I felt playing with them as a child. They just seemed more grand back then.

For example, I bought #7066 because it somewhat reminded me of a set I loved as a child. I knew the old one didn't have the ship on the roof or the aliens, but overall, in my memory, that old set was just as impressive.

Then I found the old set I was thinking of. It was #6928. It took less bang to make me just as happy back then.
    Oldfan
    ^ Also you probably had more imagination as a kid. I remember playing with small toys that did so much back then but these days look just boring. Come to think of it, back when I was five, a yoghurt pot was so many things. Whereas now it holds yoghurt.
    Perception is crazy, I wonder what my son will think of my Now Lego collection when he is old enough to start digging into it.
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    How in the heck did you keep all the pieces as a kid? Any sets I had only had half the set and minifigs with different torsos
    I ask myself the same thing. I played with them a lot, but I had a hoarder tendency as a kid. I have all of my TMNT figures bonus weapons too. I had about 6 castle and 8 pirate sets and was only missing a few 1x2 plates and some gold. I had even cut all the triangle points pieces off the instructions, but kept them in a small bag which I still had too. I am pleased with myself, but honestly I am not even close to being able to be that though now.
    The funny thing is I had to buy two batches of gold coins from brick link as I lost the first one in less than a week.
    I seem to have been pretty organized as a kid. I even kept all my 20+ G1 Transformers in their boxes. Kept the used sticker sheets and the missile sprue's, etc. I don't remember being OCD about it growing up but I'm really glad that I kept up with them. That applies to Lego's, GI Joes and Transformers.

Of course, I've raised my son to be the same way also.
    Only thing I wasn't careful with was my Magnadoodle, stepped on that thing every year and had to ask for one every year so I had a working model. Also my brother had a micro machine air craft carier that I apparently wanted to push off the top of the stairs...that didn't go so well.