Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ninjago collecting

simonskluksimonskluk Member Posts: 5
edited October 2012 in Collecting
ok so im very late to the party...i have all the city lego, creator, potc, pop and a few other minor themes in misb...should i have collected ninjago? someone persuade me

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,028
    This year's, yes. Don't bother with last year's, they are rubbish, apart from the dragons.
  • nerick906nerick906 Bristol, UKMember Posts: 427
    and a Fire Temple is beautiful set with really fun build. That's the only one that I like and that's it for the theme for me ;)
    Legoboycheshirecat
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    ^ Exactly the same.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    ^And me (oh and an ice dragon, which is also beautiful). The fire temple is an amazing set, even more so given the price most of us got it for!
  • AmberylAmberyl Member Posts: 193
    Fire Temple, Epic Dragon Battle, and Destiny's Bounty are all great builds and worth picking up. Both of the latter two sets have been discounted repeatedly, as well.
  • simonskluksimonskluk Member Posts: 5
    thanks, time to start spending the cash!
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    ^ Fire temple has been as low as £25 in the UK (I got mine at an annoyingly expensive £37) so there should be some bargains about.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 788
    Also plan for most of next years sets. Most of them are quite nice.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Fire Temple is a great set, regardless of theme. Destiny's Bounty goes well with it. Notable mention for Kai's Bladecycle and the Samurai Mecha, nice designs and builds for a decent RRP price.
  • jocappyjocappy Member Posts: 207
    My son loves ninjago, I took the samurai mech apart to build it, great set for 40$.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    Huw said:

This year's, yes. Don't bother with last year's, they are rubbish, apart from the dragons.

While I completely agree with you when it comes to the build, the after-market prices indicate that the general public doesn't care. ;)

I would agree, if money is at all an issue, you can skip most of the red box sets, with the exception of the dragons (2507, 2509, 2260, 2521).
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,984
    There were some quite good sets in 2011, but yeah, the ones with the dragons were the highlight for me. I don't know what would be the deciding factor in whether you "should have" collected Ninjago, though. Resale value? Play value? Usefulness of parts?

Generally I'm very optimistic about LEGO design, so I don't tend to look backward too much-- the only times I really feel there was a set I "should have gotten" are instances where I spent my money on a different set that wasn't as good in retrospect (for instance, I think it's a darn shame that I stopped buying the non-constraction Knights' Kingdom sets in 2005 when the castle designs actually started to be interesting, and slightly regret missing out on Bridge Walker vs. White Lightning in the Exo-Force theme, which in retrospect was a far nicer set than Striking Venom in a lot of ways). A lot of my interest in the Ninjago theme has come from the play features and designs of the sets and the engaging story, not from some expectation that the sets will still be unmatched in quality however-many years down the road.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    I have strangely got in to collecting the figs and different ninjas. Am normally in to Star Wars more than anything, but I am really liking the differing figures, including the snake men. I think this was a very good year for Ninjago.
  • stoneboistoneboi Member Posts: 42
    yes, EOL for ninjago in 2013!! Samurai mech FTW!!
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited October 2012
    Like a couple others here, I picked up Destiny's Bounty, but I'm generally uninterested in the remaining sets; a possible exception is the Epic Dragon Battle #9450. I probably wont buy it, though, just because I have so many other sets I haven't yet built.

@simonskluk, when you say "collecting", are you referring to reselling or keeping the sets for yourself? If it's just for yourself, why not just buy the sets that interest you? If wanting to resell, then it's anyone's guess which ones will do best, though historically the dragons seem to have done well. The Destiny's Bounty also looks like a winner to me.
  • lilmonster777lilmonster777 Member Posts: 53
    I own all the snake figs,bought them all from eBay,but don't own any sets.
    My four year old loves his snake army :)
  • stoneboistoneboi Member Posts: 42
    the snake figures look great, especially those with tails...though purists will disagree..
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,028
    edited October 2012
    I'd go so far as to say that this years's Ninjago minifigs are the best set of minifigs LEGO has made. I almost have a complete set: when I do I'll be doing a photo gallery here at Brickset.
    Si_UKNZPenkid11
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,984
    edited October 2012
    Huw said:

I'd go so far as to say that this years's Ninjago minifigs are the best set of minifigs LEGO has made. I almost have a complete set: when I do I'll be doing a photo gallery here at Brickset.

I've had a difficult time making comparisons between this year's Ninjago figs and other years'. The snake figures are very nice but I definitely like the classic appeal that comes from the classic minifigure heads (for the lower-ranking skeletons, at least) and simple, sparkling dot-shaped eyes of the 2011 and 2013 Ninjago villain figs. There's definitely more variety among the Serpentine than among either other group of Ninjago villains, but then again part of that just comes from how many unique figs there were for 2012-- 35 different character designs, versus only twenty in 2011 and only ten or eleven in next year's sets.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited October 2012
    I'm with Huw on this .. the snake figs are awesome.