Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Difference Between 10183 and K10183

UKver2UKver2 Member Posts: 13
edited April 2011 in The Database
What is the difference between set 10183 and K10183. I have it marked down that I own K10183. Did something extra come with this to make it a product collection? Also, where can I find this information on the K10183 page?

Comments

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Usually the numbers with a K on the front come with something extra, like the Emerald Night had a motorisation pack. It will probably say in the set's notes.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    Yes, 'K' prefixed sets are usually 'bundles' (different from 'supersets'); examples might include a bundle of all the, say, Atlantis sets when there were first released.

No idea about the difference between these two; I have a regular '10183' and it doesn't sound any different to what's listed for the 'K' version. The text at the top of the page for the 'K' came, automatically, from the LEGO website at the time the set was released.
  • mkoeselmkoesel USAMember Posts: 97
    If I am remembering correctly, didn't this set undergo some sort of mid-run revision and price drop? That could explain the number change, though changes like that don't usually cause a number change.
  • jgadgetjgadget Member Posts: 181
    I have been back through my old [email protected] catalogues.
    I can only find the Hobby Train in 3 of them from 2007.
    The later 2 have it listed as K10183 and the earlier one has a loose flyer, in which it's listed as 10183.
    The only difference I can see in the descriptions is regarding the instructions.
    For the K10183, "Printed building instrcutions for the main model are included, ..." and for the 10183, "Includes instructions to build the above model ...".
    I only have the later set, bought when it was discounted.
    I seem to remember there being a bit of a fuss about instructions at launch time, in that originally none were to be included, but by the time the boxes were shipped, printed instructions were included.
    I'm getting old, so I might not be remembering it correctly.
  • UKver2UKver2 Member Posts: 13
    @jgadget -- thanks for that research!
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,420
    OK, you had me curious so I went and looked. In the US version, spring 2007 the K10183 is listed as new and off to the side it had K4548 listed as being (1) 10153 motor plus (1) 4548 controller and (1) 2159 starter track set ( 16 curves and 2 straight tracks) as a bundle for $96.97 US. Usually the K denotes extra parts with an up-charge. But this doesn't seem to be the case here. I do know that the earliest 10183 boxes had sealed ends with the clear plastic tape. The later ones were thicker card board boxes with thumb nail puch-outs on the back. Hope that helps or correct me if I'm wrong on this.
  • grahamegrahame Member Posts: 1
    For K10183, the instructions for the main model were supplied separately. For 10183, the instructions were included in the box.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,420
    ^ That wouldn't be true for the U.S.. I ordered 14 of them through Lego SAH when they went on sale for 49.99 and they all came with directions in the box ( I've only opened 5 so far ) as well as loose directions in the shipping box, 1 for each set I ordered.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Was K10183 removed from the database? It makes sense if it did, but I would like to point out that if you had marked owning K10183 in the database, this did not get transferred to owning set 10183. I had to go and add it back.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,468
    Yes-- K prefixed sets were 'virtual product collections' and thus of little interest once LEGO stops selling them, so they are removed.