Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Hello (and, yes, I might have a problem in Texas)

gharper2gharper2 Member Posts: 5
edited October 2012 in Introduce yourself
Just wanted to take the plunge and say hi to the group. I have been trolling the board for a while and finally signed up the other day. I have been away from Legos for years (like, 30 years), but have jumped in recently with my son and daughter. Of course, I don't seem to be doing a good job pacing myself, and have made a lot of purchases recenty. Oh well.

Anyway, I am from Dallas, Texas (I see there are several others from these parts), and I am a lawyer. I have put up a few UCS sets in the office recently, and other attorneys in my office are impressed. My kids are 9 and 12 and my wife is a little nervous about all of the bricks appearing in the house. We grabbed most of the Monster Fighter sets for Halloween fun, my daughter is getting into the Friends and Kingdoms/Castles sets, and my son and I have had a blast putting together several of the larger Star Wars sets. Who knows what the future holds!?!

Comments

• atxleeatxlee Member Posts: 155
    Great to see another Texas AFOL. Welcome and enjoy your stay...
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,744
    Welcome! But I think you mean 'trawling' not 'trolling' :D
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,020
    The future holds a negative bank balance and an irate bank manager :-)
  • dino_girldino_girl LondonMember Posts: 107
    welcome! you are in good company here we've all got the same problem and irate bank managers lol
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 792
    Hi @gharper2. Better start making room for your new addiction sorry hobby ;-)

Nick.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Welcome... I'm also in the Dallas, TX area (Plano to be exact). You're a lawyer? We promise not to hold that against you. ;-)

Welcome to the addiction, same thing happened to me 2 years ago, now we have a LEGO room in the house and I keep telling my wife I can quit any time. :)

It is an adventure, that is for sure... but if you're new, keep in mind that sets do retire, and some good ones are likely to retire soon, such as UCS Imperial Shuttle (10212), so if you care about such things, now is the time to buy them. Or Black Friday, if you do that sort of thing.

There is a LEGO Store in North Park Mall, and a much bigger one in Stonebrier Mall, both fun places to visit, be sure to sign up to the VIP program, 10% back on all sets right now, 5% normally.

Be sure to take your kids over to LEGOLand Discovery Center in Grapevine Mills Mall, it isn't as big as the one in California or Florida, but still a lot of fun for an afternoon.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,837
    gharper2 said:

Hello (and, yes, I might have a problem in Texas

Lol, I swear I thought you were about to complain how you find the shelves in your local Walmart empty on a regular basis.

Welcome to the forum. Like others have said, you can expect your bank balance to be hit hard on a monthly basis, although you will have a pile of plastic bricks to show for it instead.

UCS is where it all started for me. My strict rule to purchase only UCS sets lasted for about 2 years, but after I 'caught up' with the discontinued sets, got bored and decided that anything 'big' was okay.......and then the odd theme. Good luck! :-)
    LegoFanTexas
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    ^ Ha, yeah, I just started on Castle. Now - anything and everything.
    Legoboy
  • gharper2gharper2 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for all the advance. And @LegoFanTexas , I really appreciate the heads up on the places to head in town. I grew up in Plano (family still lives there), but none of that was there, obviously, when I was growing up
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Welcome and Hola, from H-town!