Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] TRU Bricktober

Comments

• jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    ^ They should be able to be used with sale items, but I've had to argue with employees multiple times to let me use them, with varying results.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited October 2012
    ^ I've had no problem using rewards dollars for sale items. If you're trying to qualify for a minimum purchase promotion (like the Bricktober spend $60 get a free gift) and it drops the sale amount below the threshold, the way to do it is to scan the free item first and then scan the certificate. Not all cashiers will do it this way and not all managers will approve it.

The real problems with the TRU rewards are:

- The "earn 10% back" is very misleading due to the terms of the rewards: they are given in $5-$10 increments, each redeemable during differing and short (two week?) validity window. So if you earned $100 in rewards, you can't redeem it for $100 off at one time. You must redeem them spread across three or so different 2-week periods.

- if you return any product during a reward accruing period, the value of the return is subtracted from your eligible purchases, even if you didn't accrue any rewards with the purchase of the item you are returning. Example: for the month, you purchase $1000 and should receive $100 in rewards. If you return something worth $200 that you didn't receive rewards on (i.e. bought in a different month), your eligible purchase for the month still goes down to $800 for $80 in rewards.

- The certificates are mailed or e-mailed to you and not simply linked to the card, which adds an extra layer of required effort that increases the chance they slip through the cracks unredeemed.

I'm sure there is more that I'm forgetting, but the bottom line is that the program is so restrictive compare to nearly every other type of reward/cashback program that I don't even factor in the presumed savings because so many of mine have gone unredeemed.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited October 2012
    @malachirobertson All I can do is share my experience. This is what I have learned first hand...

They are very similar to money, but technically using them is like getting a discount off of the price, because you are not charged sales tax on the amount of the reward coupon when you use it. Example - say you have a $20 item you want to buy and have $20 worth of reward coupons. You go to the register, they scan your item, then your coupons and the balance is $0.00. You literally don't have to pay anything. I have never had them restricted in any way. I have used them on sale items, clearance items, even during a BOGO transaction.

My main complaint with them is - they they are only good for about 3 weeks, then expire.

Another complaint is that - they may cause your purchase to go below an amount needed for an additional discount. Example - This week they have the 'get a figure set with a purchase of $60+'. You pick out some LEGOS worth $65.00 and have $20.00 worth of reward coupons. You go to check out and your $65 worth of LEGOS will go to $45 when you use the coupons and will prevent you from getting the figure set. So, you just have to know when to not use the coupons.

Another complaint - If you return an item that you purchased with a reward coupon you are pretty much SOL, because you don't get them back. Reference the 1st example. I take back the $20 item I got. I got it for free so I can't get any money back. And, they can't regenerate the reward coupon. Well, technically they can maybe give you store credit or such, but only if they want to be nice about it. I had them do that for me once, but it was a pain. Pain in the time and trouble. They were nice about it and all, but it was still a pain.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited October 2012
    ^ haha... great minds think alike. some just work quicker than others ;)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,175
    edited October 2012
    Yeah the Rewards are a joke for TRU at this point, never mind that many sets are also 10% above retail AND Im pretty sure you can only use one reward coupon at a time online..
    OCCASIONALLY you can get rewards to overlap and get two sets of rewards 'rebates' to work on 1 day, but whenever I go to a TRU to do this I always get a weird look and a manager because sometimes the system stops this apparently.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ I've had no problems using my reward dollars along with a coupon before (have only done it twice though).
    Never had any 'problems' either. Although I will admit sometimes checking out a TRU can be overly complicated. Too much so. The cashier often has to scan things in a certain order or they won't be accepted. Sometimes their system won't recognize the coupon or whatever you may have and the cashier/mgr has to do an override. Sometimes you have to use your TRU CC. Sometimes you have to make a partial payment with whatever you're using then use your CC.

It is overly complex, but I have found it be logical and fair, once I've understood what happened. (And, I admit sometimes I don't understand what happened, but my final total due is correct.) :-)

Also, the workers at my TRU have always been nice to me. I'm sure employees are different at different stores. I find that store mgt typically defines how friendly (or, not) staff are to customers. That applies to all businesses, not just TRU.
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    @cloaked7 I got it for the parts, though I did enjoy The Hobbit when I read it in HS way back when, and am thinking a re-read is in order. It's quite a nice little parts pack, and at $23 well worth it for a brand new set with some new parts in a never before seen color with very nice printing...
    Thanks again @murphquake I just used the coupon on two of the Hobbit games. I had 2 games and 1 coupon, but it took $5 on both of them. Plus, them being on sale (which I would not have known without you posting it) I too was able to get the games for $23 ea. Great deal. Plus, I got a SW Battle Pack which aren't too marked up to allow me to get the 5 fig collectors set. So, it all worked out nicely thanks to you sharing some good info.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Anyone else notice that there is now a "Free Ship-to-Store" option at toysrus.com? Although it doesn't appear to be enabled for LEGO sets right now.
    ^--- makes me wonder if they do doing this so they no longer have to offer free shipping..
    Now it would make it easier to BOGO50 smaller sets via online if they can be shipped to store.. as long as they really are SHIPPED and they just do nto pull stock if they have it.. I want no sets off of a shelf, I want them from a warehouse.

Just hope this does not also cause TRU to raise the prices over 10% for its smaller sets
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    ^ It probably is not working yet since those are greyed out even when Ship-to-Home option is green.

@madforLEGO I doubt it is pull from stock as they already have the "Free Store Pickup Today" option
  • ZeyaZeya Member Posts: 36
    sidersdd said:

Anyone else notice that there is now a "Free Ship-to-Store" option at toysrus.com? Although it doesn't appear to be enabled for LEGO sets right now.

I believe that is a new trial program that TRU is running. It's only good in certain areas, at certain stores. That might be why it doesn't work for you. Or... just because TRU is terrible in general.

• shikadishikadi TRU AlumniMember Posts: 122
    Ship-to-Store is currently only offered on big ticket (bikes,pools,furniture etc.) items. If your store already carries the set, you can do free store pickup.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 808
    This is the 1st Bricktober that I am not participating in. $60 a week is too much an investment for me at this time in TRU dollars. I'd have no problem dropping this at a LEGO store or Target but not at TRU-especially since the 2nd week doesn't offer any deals.

I have a $5 rewards coupon and might use it to get a baseplate and STILL have to pay about $3 for it after TRU mark up and tax.
  • turtle1173turtle1173 Member Posts: 230
    Yep, as many deals as has been going on at Walmart/Amazon, I haven't even been tempted to pick anything up at TRU. I was supposed to be on a "no lego diet" this month but, unfortunatley (for my wife), I fell off the wagon :-(
    I feel like I am 'full' from the Amazon.com sale.. no room left for a dessert...lol
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Just found out today that toysrus.com is doing international shipping. I hear all the complaints about them selling sets above retail and have to laugh (maybe I should cry) as I just ordered the Star Wars UCS Imperial Shuttle and the Modular Fire Brigade from them as they have best price shipped of any of the following, Amazon EU, Bricklink & eBay.

I find this whole thing very interesting as TRU are in Australia and have a .com.au web site, So really not sure what TRU au thinks of this move by the US TRU?

Im just glad it means there is another place to get Lego at a half decent price, even if its not as good a price as you guys in the US get access to.
    I will add that I paid $445 AUD shipped for the both of them from toysrus.com, for perspective the SW UCS ISD retails for $449.99 & the Fire Brigade $299.99 in Australia.
    ^ It is well known that TRU does not jack up the prices on the bigger sets like DS, IS, FB, etc.
    That is great news for LEGO fans in Australia
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    http://www.toysrus.com/graphics/media/trus/101012_RUs_viralcoupon.pdf

Here's a 10%/15%/20% in-store coupon for TRU. Not the best deal, but will lessen the blow for anyone who wants to buy something to get the free minifigure set.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    For anyone interested, my TRU had tons of the 30200 Cofin Car polys in stock for $4.99 each. Also, have the Heroica carrying case marked down to $14.98 plus 25% off, so $11.23 before tax. Not too bad if you want one or two of these.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 738
    You can get a 10%/15%/20% off coupon in their catalog as you walk in the doors also. On a side note......has anyone ever returned their $60 purchase(s) of LEGO and keep the 5 minifigure box?? This was the first one of the series that I got today with the kids and they didn't scan the box. So it doesn't show up on a receipt. I know they scanned the Bricktober magnets last year....just curious.
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    I had plan on buying a Technic Unimog to get the vintage set for this week to sell it and soften the blow of the cost of the Unimog. I called in to check to see if they had any left, waited 10 minutes and got hung up on. lol
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    @scotty12 - You're better off ordering online. They have been shipping the Figures separately (at least the two orders I made have been shipped separately). You could then return in store.
    scotty12 said:

You can get a 10%/15%/20% off coupon in their catalog as you walk in the doors also. On a side note......has anyone ever returned their $60 purchase(s) of LEGO and keep the 5 minifigure box?? This was the first one of the series that I got today with the kids and they didn't scan the box. So it doesn't show up on a receipt. I know they scanned the Bricktober magnets last year....just curious.

Theoretically you might, TRU usually catches it, and the subject of if it is missing from the receipt well you can try, but it is ussually seemed as an unethical way to get something for free when you had to purchase something to get it.
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 678
    I think I'm done with TRU. I went in yesterday because I had a $5 R Us coupon that was expiring and also brought along the 20% off coupon. I went for Palpatine's Arrest, priced at $110, $20 above LEGOs price. I was able to use the 20% and $5 together and was also told by the cashier that there is a free set (minifigures) that I would get. After the employees had a brain aneurism, I ended up walking out paying $88 (with tax) for the palpatine's arrest set and no minifigs. TRU needs to improve their transparency with these coupons and promotions. The wording makes no sense and contradicts itself. At one point the cashier told me the minifigs were $7 as if I could purchase them separately, which did not happen. My mind was blown from this mess. I should have just gone to LEGO and taken the double VIP points. It's going to take a hell of a deal to get me back in a TRU again
    ^ Yup, I agree. I went today and got the LEGO Technic 2-in-1 4 x 4 Crawler (9398), because I had a 20% off coupon and could get week 3's 5 figure set. When ringing me up the cashier couldn't get the coupon to be accepted, so she's reading the fine print to see if LEGO is excluded. She couldn't figure it out, so she called the manager. The manager said that the coupon could not be used with any other specials and that the free 5 figure set was probably causing the coupon to be excluded. The cashier then took off the 5 figure set and it accepted the coupon. The manager then said 'Just give him the 5 figure set, he sure spent enough to qualify, I'll just manually remove it from inventory.' She then apologized to me and said the process should not exclude things like it did. And, made a point to put the 5 figure set in my bag herself.

So, people at TRU can correct the process when it appears to be wrong. It depends on the staff at the TRU to make things right. At some stores they do, at some they don't.

TRU and their exclusions, etc. are always a pain. I always try to go there when they aren't busy, because I almost always have some kind of issue. Also, I think it is as much of a pain to the employees as it is to the customer. TRU needs to improve their processes. They are too complex.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    Is the vintage mini figure set still available in store?
    ^Nevermind, I called and it's still available in at least a few stores.
    ^ ^^ It seems to depend on the store. At mine they guard the stock pretty closely. They're only at the customer service register. Each week I have gone on Mon or Tues and they still had them. Once on Wed and they were out. So, they don't seem to last all week. Course, you have to spend 60+ and there are no specials unless you have a good coupon, so they aren't going real fast. I think most stores just got a few, unlike past Bricktober specials that would be on hand for most of the week or into the next week.
    Thanks for the reply @cloaked7. I'll probably attempt the same exact transaction you did. Wish me luck lol.

The mini fig set sells on ebay for about $35 shipped. If it is possible to net at least $20 selling the fig set, plus the 20% off coupon, that's 30% off the 9398 MSRP, excluding tax. Pretty solid deal there. Hopefully the 9398 is MSRP in store.
    ^ one of the few sets in my store not marked up. :-) Another reason I got it. Plus, it had a security wire around it, so it shouldn't be tampered with.
  • turtle1173turtle1173 Member Posts: 230
    Yeah, most of the time, my TRU bends over backwards to be accommodating. That is really helpful but I can see being really upset if they were being sticklers about it.

At my TRU, the Crawler and the Excavator are both at MSRP.
    he he, I have one of those love/hate relationships with TRU. :-) I won't go into detail, because if I did it would be pages long. Suffice it to say, there are a lot things I like about TRU, a lot of things I dislike. But, at least I know how they are and am rarely surprised now days.
  • shikadishikadi TRU AlumniMember Posts: 122
    cloaked7 said:

I think it is as much of a pain to the employees as it is to the customer.

This. I just put in my two weeks :)
    I always try to make things right, but if the management of your store doesn't care, you will likely get shafted on promotions. 95% of the coupons are only valid on full price (marked up) or unpopular merchandise (BRU included) This is intentional, but never clear to the customer, because the exceptions list is about 200 words of 6pt text.
    edited October 2012
    ^ Good point. When the cashier couldn't get my discount coupon to work the first thing she asked was - 'Is this on sale?' :-) I'm sure they see coupons not being accepted a lot.

Also, when I got when to the register I was the only customer at the register. Because it took some time to resolve my issue there were 4 customers behind me when I finally checked out. TRU's complicated, and nit-picky, rules hurt everyone. One would think they would realize that. I could go on and on about TRU. Very few of my checkout experiences are quick and easy. I would definitely go there more often if they weren't the way they are. In the long run they only hurt themselves. They send customers to Target, Walmart, Amazon (pick your retailer).
  • AnthonyC173AnthonyC173 Member Posts: 101
    cloaked7 said:

^ Yup, I agree. I went today and got the LEGO Technic 2-in-1 4 x 4 Crawler (9398), because I had a 20% off coupon and could get week 3's 5 figure set. When ringing me up the cashier couldn't get the coupon to be accepted, so she's reading the fine print to see if LEGO is excluded. She couldn't figure it out, so she called the manager. The manager said that the coupon could not be used with any other specials and that the free 5 figure set was probably causing the coupon to be excluded. The cashier then took off the 5 figure set and it accepted the coupon. The manager then said 'Just give him the 5 figure set, he sure spent enough to qualify, I'll just manually remove it from inventory.' She then apologized to me and said the process should not exclude things like it did. And, made a point to put the 5 figure set in my bag herself.

So, people at TRU can correct the process when it appears to be wrong. It depends on the staff at the TRU to make things right. At some stores they do, at some they don't.

TRU and their exclusions, etc. are always a pain. I always try to go there when they aren't busy, because I almost always have some kind of issue. Also, I think it is as much of a pain to the employees as it is to the customer. TRU needs to improve their processes. They are too complex.

wow glad to heard people getting good customer service. TRU really needs better control over their employees, i went to one store where their system was down so none of the employee had any clues what sales were going on. But i was able to purchase some minifigs for BOGO 40% as i told them that was the promotion they had and took my work for it.

Another TRU it was crazy, all the employee just so depressing when they talk they were moaning... i never felt more sad and depress in a toy store than i did at that one TRU
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    I stopped in yesterday to see if there were any bricktober figs left. None, but she showed me the set for next week. The cool part was that there was a stack of lego catalogs on the shelf with a "free, take one" sign. Inside the catalog is a coupon for $5 off Duplo or Lego Games. Nice 64 page catalog too!
    ^ Is that the one with Legoland coupon ? murphquake posted that on this thread towards the end of page 1
    Sounds like TRU is the same around the world. In Australia they are also really bad with promotions, you really have to be on the ball as I would say 4 out 5 times items will just scan at normal price not sale/promotional price, and the staff will generaly not notice.

They really need a new POS system with some smarts, one that can be easily modified so sale & promotions can be automatically applied.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ as if
  • lannyjacklannyjack Member Posts: 39
    I printed off the 20% coupon and was going to use it on Jabba's Palace in store. The actual store coupon doesn't list Lego in the excluded part.

So I got to thinking that I would use the 20% online for Fire Brigade, and no deal. The online coupon has Lego excluded. I checked my store here, and they don't carry the FB.
  • CrazyaddictCrazyaddict Member Posts: 35
    ^ easy - order a FB online and when it arrives, bring to store for a return-repurchase. the stores let you do that all the time.
    The 20% off coupon ends Monday.

How exactly would that work? Oh wait, I guess I changed my mind on the return. OH and also, I just happen to have this 20% off coupon . . .
    Or is that something that's allowed? I don't want to be shady lol
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    lannyjack said:

Or is that something that's allowed? I don't want to be shady lol

It's allowed. You literally just walk to the return counter and say, "hey I want to return and rebuy using the coupon."
    Wow. I am blown away by the customer service I just received, especially after reading about some of the bad experiences in this thread.

I called my TRU store and explained the situation. The store manager offered to order it for me online so I could still get the 20% discount. That didn't work, so she was able to give me a one-time use coupon so I could place the order myself.

I completely forgot about the bricktober minifigure set, so I called back and she said that if I brought my receipt in I could pick up a set tomorrow.

I am really happy with how things turned out, I am going to take the time to write a thank you letter.
    murphquakeLegoFanTexas
  • CrazyaddictCrazyaddict Member Posts: 35
    It depends on the store. I have 4 TRU stores near me. One of the store knows me very well and the manager usually let his staff decides on overrides - he sometimes say, he sure bought enough to get that for free. Another is like crap. I never buy from that crappy store unless others ran out (like polybags, etc) and I always return my stuff there - just to spite them. i think it also lowers their performance if there are plenty of returns.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Man, nothing for week 4 (other than the minifig pack)? Just saw the flyer. No BOGO, no $10 off $50, nothing. It's been a weak Bricktober at TRU.