Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Community Perspective on Reselling

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594

^ in response to your last point, I wouldn't.

As for the rest of this topic, it's all been said before and there are no definitive answers as to what is right, acceptable, decent etc. It all ends up getting heated and personal, as @pvancil27 has experienced. For the first time ever though I'm considering unfollowing...

...a category on this forum (Buying and selling topics) as it seems to be dominating the forum lately and it's only going to get worse in the runup to Christmas.

(FWIW, I agree with Dr Dave's stance :-))

(PS Sorry for quoting myself but I ran out of Edit time!)
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322
    Sunshine Special over here has not slept all night....thanks for the explanation. :)
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    My take on it is that it is pretty simple.

There are those who go shopping, and only think of what THEY will get out of it.
    There are those who go shopping, and think about their fellow Brickset'ers and others in general.

I am pleased and proud to be in the 2nd team and the fact that others also think of me when shopping has been seriously appreciated.
  • GodspeedGodspeed Member Posts: 14
    Just adding my 2 cents. To myself, reselling is morally on the 'not-so-good' side, but admittedly, I've done it myself (not with lego though). As people have pointed out, there's nothing restricting people from wiping out clearance stock, and objectively, they have every right to purchase as many sets as they want. I think some of the angst against resellers stems from the fact that some have the attitude of 'I can buy it all, I don't feel bad, I'm making lots of money' (I'm not saying all resellers). What resellers need to understand is those who find reselling distasteful are, as people have pointed out, usually people with limited finances. I myself fall into this category, and just buying one large set is a big spend for me. For people like me, a marginal saving still helps. When these savings slip away because stock is being hoarded, I find it natural that people feel less than stellar.

Of course, on the other end of the spectrum, I've done some reselling myself, for the purpose of creating a little extra funds for things I want. However this was never more than one or two items, which were also readily available for the price I obtained them. I completely understand why resellers do what they do, however they need to be more accepting of comments from others, rather than brushing them aside as whining and mere opinions. Remember, there's always people out there who genuinely want to enjoy a set for themselves. E.g. The DS for $290 at Walmart, if there was a child who could spend no more than $300 who really wanted it, I think it's understandable to be disappointed with a large portion of the stock being bought by adults to later be resold, maybe even to the same kid in a few years time, when he can finally afford things, for a highly inflated price.

Like I said, just my 2 cents ;) Agree or disagree, just adding to the discussion.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,004

Slightly off topic, I wonder how many people would happily pass on the odd bargain set at cost to a fellow bricksetter but not if they knew that set was to be resold?

I wouldn't like it if it was going to be sold and I knew beforehand. I'd like it even less if I found out it was being sold after passing it on. They would be added to the "don't help out list".

Although for me, it is not really a dilemma, as these days I prefer to keep to trades. Although that does mean that if someone wants one of my bargain finds, then they have to do some "work" too and have some of their own.
    leemcg
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322
    ^I do not feel that I am doing anything morally wrong. I have legally purchased a product and I sell the product.I pay my taxes. I did not get any DS for $290. That would have been nice, but you can't get everything. I don't even use a Barnes and Noble coupon more than once. So, please tell me what I have morally done wrong?
    Next, I understand people have limited finances. I have relatives that are out of work. I don't live a fancy life. I just feel blessed in the right ways. Some of my friends and relatives have loads more money than me. I am happy for them. I have lots of faith and to waste time worrying about someone getting a better deal on a Lego as it seems minor in the big picture. If you are looking for something you missed out on. Send me a pm.
    tekron
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    If I traded or sold a set and it was moved on at a profit quickly I wouldn't be best pleased. If a few months passed though I wouldn't be bothered. Things change. Priorities change. Collecting tastes change.
    TyoSolosidersddLegoFanTexas
    Godspeed said:

I completely understand why resellers do what they do, however they need to be more accepting of comments from others, rather than brushing them aside as whining and mere opinions.

Often resellers are right ... people do whine if they miss out, and their opinions are just that, opinions. I know I have in the past. I probably will in the future too.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    kevbags said:

If I traded or sold a set and it was moved on at a profit quickly I wouldn't be best pleased. If a few months passed though I wouldn't be bothered. Things change. Priorities change. Collecting tastes change.

Agreed. This has happened to me a couple of times. I sold EOL items lower than I normally would, to help out someone who missed out when the items were readily available (for one reason or another - dark ages, lack of funds, whatever). These items, instead of being opened, built, and enjoyed, were instead back on the market to be sold at a higher amount.

Am I upset this happened? A little. It sucks, as there was *potential* money lost for me, and there was *potentially* someone else who could have enjoyed the sets at those discounts. But, as you said, priorities change, life events happen, etc. Oh well.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited October 2012
    ^^ Brickarmor. Yep that's the one. When reading it back I still think a few people made tits of themselves but sadly they wont realise it. In-between the repetitions and insults there were some good points to consider, in particular I like the thinking behind this one. Which is better to the Lego hobby in general when a set goes on sale at 70% off RRP?

1) The set is picked up by a child's parents and given to a child to play with that they otherwise wouldn't have got. Either the family wouldn't have the money usually to buy it or it was given to the child as a treat because it was so cheap (rather than being a birthday/christmas present - I suspect this is something many of us have done when coming across ridiculously good deals) - hence its not just replacing a lego set that they would have got anyway. The child has a new toy, the parents have given them a treat the lego set gets played with and is removed from the NISB market.

2) A reseller picks up that set and holds on to it for 12 months. They sell it to a collector, afol or rich parent for their child at twice RRP. Had this set not been available supply would be less, demand higher (ok very marginally) and the set would cost 10% more. The purchase would probably have been made even with the higher cost. Because of the higher value and other factors its likely that the set would be kept together or remain sealed. It may find its wa back on the market.
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    Have just thought of another angle.

When you buy sets, for yourself or for fellow bricksetters, you are taking a risk. You might think that it's a small risk, but it's a risk nonetheless. There's also a cost

I have 3 or 4 Brickley's sitting at home because I once saw them at 50% off and thought some bricksetters might like them. I posted but didn't have time to wait for replies, so bought a few on the offchance. As it turned out there was only one person interested, and the trade didn't work out. So they're still at home.
    Is that 3300001? I might be interested in one at cost, if that's what you mean.
    ^ Yep, I've had that too. Bought several Speech Bubble sets when there was interest. I believe only one Bricksetter carried through with the purchase. I still have them.
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    @cheshirecat will take it offline, to keep things on topic.
  • jonboy2000jonboy2000 Member Posts: 255

...a category on this forum (Buying and selling topics) as it seems to be dominating the forum lately and it's only going to get worse in the runup to Christmas.

I would totally agree with this. I find myself hardly reading the forum anymore because a lot of the topics get turned into "what will it be worth" or "how much money can I make out of it". It's generally the usual suspects.
    What really annoys me is this happening the moment a set or theme is announced (not even released)!
    TyoSolo said:

I love the community here, especially recently, as we do tend to help each other out. Look at @kevbags - he got a Brand Store that he didn't need, and he rallied the community to raise cash to buy sets for sick children. Amazing.

@rich69 saw one of my posts recently looking for a Batwing set. He messaged me and said he could pick me one up from Tesco for £16, with no thought for profit. Again, amazing.

@silentmode wasn't able to get to the Sheffield Grand Opening, and asked if someone could pick up the exclusive minifig pack for him, so I did. That's what we're about.

Equally, I can see why people snatch up deals for resale. Some for profit, others, like me, to sustain their hobby. If it wasn't for resellers that hold on to stock for long periods of time, I wouldn't have picked up some of the out of production sets that I've managed to get for reasonable prices.

Love 'em or hate 'em, we all use them.

I'd add @Matthew to the list of heroes with his volunteering to get the Olympic minifigs for those outside of the UK (unfortunately, I think he eventually got in over his head in managing it all for everyone).
  • absolut3absolut3 Member Posts: 83
    Besides the point of being ethical or moral or not, there are people who actually like seeing the pictures of stacks and stacks of lego people were able to pick up. Me being one of them. It may be more correct to post it in the brag thread but I also don't see a problem being in a sale thread if the pictures pertain to that sale.
    dragonhawkLegoFanTexas
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

I just don't understand it. The very "selfishness" that resellers get branded with, the branders are doing. "don't clear the shelves to make a profit, that is selfish, leave it there so *I* can get some cheap Lego".

Now who is being selfish? ;)

Would you consider it selfish if, say, you clear out an entire stock of a set in an area leaving none for a kid that's been saving up his allowance to buy the set?
    Nope... That whole "think of the children" nonsense has got to stop...

If I was clearing the shelves of bread, and the child was hungry, you would be completely correct.

This is Lego, a toy, there will be something else to buy. If the kid really, really, really wanted it, he/she should not have waited a year or two while it was for sale everywhere, then show up at Walmart the day after Christmas, and expect copies to be easy to find at 50% off.

Would you be equally upset if Walmart sold out before Christmas and had none to clearance in the first place? Would you be saying "well, why didn't they over order so little Timmy could have his cheap Lego"?
    Bumblepantsjonboy2000Pitfall69
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,285
    edited October 2012
    The problem I see is there are a certain number of resellers that continue to brag about their finds,in EVERY thread, but then act like they are still owed something when someone takes exception to it.
    Now maybe some people do not realize they are doing it... fine, but then do not assume that someone will not call attention to it.
    There are also those I believe who look the 'gifthorse in the mouth' and do not think about how fortunately they were to get a set for a great price but instead complain about box quality for example and expect to rally everyone to their cause and then do not understand why some people think that getting the good deal is good enough or worse yet, just should realize there is a customer support at these stores and that is where they should be sending their vitriol.

This bothers me, not that they are all resellers, some are far from it, but it is this feeling of entitlement and then this amazement that people may not share their feelings on the subject, and subsequent vilification of those people for not feeling that way. This is for both sides of the argument as well. I have gotten caught up in this fervor and try to stop myself from taking 'low roads' now when these debates come up.

I think most resellers do not realize they do what many perceive as 'boasting'.
    Then there are those that boast, but then get mad when people do not take kindly to it. The problem is some of these people are also a bit illogical, and when you mix the feeling of entitlement and being illogical you get a dangerous mix and that goes for both sides to the argument to be honest.

@LegoFanTexas I have to say, whilst most of your points are well considered and well laid out the last one about "don't clear the shelves to make a profit, that is selfish, leave it there so *I* can get some cheap Lego" makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

The idea is that while calling a reseller selfish, the person is actually being just as selfish themselves. They are not trying to help society, they just want cheap Lego for themselves.

This whole "think of the children" argument is a load of bull, it is more "think of ME!" that really is so hypocritical.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I would hope that everyone would continue to have a dialogue on this issue. I noticed that the "Walmart" thread was getting dangerously close to the thread earlier this year that @pvancil27 was speaking of. I must say that thread was a low point for many people on this board with many things said by lots of people that they probably wish they hadn't. I have learned alot from these discussions. I would recommend that anyone who has read that thread, to do so.

I am a reseller, to an extent, and I am a huge collector. I have cleared out a Kmart or a Walmart if I had the chance. What I no longer do is post what I have purchased. While I only did so because I was excited to share the fruits of the hunt (kind of like hanging a mounted deer head in your study), I understand now that others may not be as excited about the haul as I was, or, worse yet, may have been downright offended. And while I understand the position some have on purchasing all the lego in a clearance section, I don't agree with it. So, I get around the controversy by not putting it out there. I will respect the other point of view although I don't subscribe to it.

On the flip side, I enjoy reading of other's great hauls. I know what kind of time and effort and luck goes into finding such great deals. I would hope that those who disagree with that would also respect someone's desire to share their haul with everyone without posting degrading or derrogatory comments which really serve no purpose but to incite or insult the other person.

However, I do share my spoils with bricksetters around the globe. Many of you have purchased clearance sets from me at my cost. As a result, I have made alot of friends who also take care of me when they have a chance. To me, this has been by far the most rewarding part of being a member of Brickset. forging strong, albeit long distance, friendships with people who share your passion is a great thing.

This is the most explosive topic we have on this board. Continuous conversation and mutual respect is the best way to make sure that everyone enjoys their time with their hobby.
    yys4u

@CCC We've been here before so its never going to end in agreement, but lets take that further. If someone is clearing the shelves and a little boy comes up to the shelf just as the evil reseller (joke) is putting the last set in their trolley but doesn't think of handing one over, is that selfish. Is the reseller a t*** or is it just a hard lesson for little johnny to learn. Hell, why not just snatch the set out of little johny's hands - another hard lesson he needs to learn.

^ I agree that someone is pretty cold hearted if little Johnny is actually standing right there and you grab everything before he can get it. That person has ice in their veins.

I can tell you that while I did clear a lot of shelves of clearance Lego, I did more than once share with kids/moms who were there as well, including taking stuff out of my cart and handing it to them.

I also pointed out other clearance items, Walmart clearanced Barbie dolls for 50% off as well and one mother was delighted when I pointed that detail out.
    pvancil27 said:

I was going to make another argument for my thoughts, but I really dont want to be given another doodad speech or called a commie.

:) I promise to send you a red doodad right away! :)

I forgot about that, but that doodad speach was funny as heck!!!

As the OP said, please do post your thoughts, all viewpoints should be welcome!
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    sidersdd said:

TyoSolo said:

I love the community here, especially recently, as we do tend to help each other out. Look at @kevbags - he got a Brand Store that he didn't need, and he rallied the community to raise cash to buy sets for sick children. Amazing.

@rich69 saw one of my posts recently looking for a Batwing set. He messaged me and said he could pick me one up from Tesco for £16, with no thought for profit. Again, amazing.

@silentmode wasn't able to get to the Sheffield Grand Opening, and asked if someone could pick up the exclusive minifig pack for him, so I did. That's what we're about.

Equally, I can see why people snatch up deals for resale. Some for profit, others, like me, to sustain their hobby. If it wasn't for resellers that hold on to stock for long periods of time, I wouldn't have picked up some of the out of production sets that I've managed to get for reasonable prices.

Love 'em or hate 'em, we all use them.

I'd add @Matthew to the list of heroes with his volunteering to get the Olympic minifigs for those outside of the UK (unfortunately, I think he eventually got in over his head in managing it all for everyone).
    I did I'm afraid, but I'm glad I managed to help many people. I'd also use the example of @sidersdd and @wagnerml2 who have been picking up Freeing Dobby sets for me over the period of a year or so, and passed them onto me at the clearance price they got them for.
    wagnerml2
    absolut3 said:

Besides the point of being ethical or moral or not, there are people who actually like seeing the pictures of stacks and stacks of lego people were able to pick up.

I'd quite like to see pictures of people unconscious in the middle of the floor after overdosing on the excitement of opening cheap lego, surrounded by vast quantities of opened boxes, lego spread all over the place and maybe a couple of small MOCs that they managed to make before complete overdose set in.
    herekittykittyLegoFanTexaswagnerml2
    Doesn't feel the same to me when they're unconscious in the middle of the floor after overdosing on the excitement of knowing how much profit they're going to make from all the cheap lego, without an open box in sight.
    herekittykittyLegoFanTexasMatthewBluefox1966

Doesn't feel the same to me when they're unconscious in the middle of the floor after overdosing on the excitement of knowing how much profit they're going to make from all the cheap lego, without an open box in sight.

Now THAT is funny!!! :)
    speedpro50
    sidersdd said:

I'd like to kick it back to @sidersdd who got me a great deal on the 7676 that I finally built!

I would also like to kick back to the OP, @momof2boys99 who is a wonderful person. I still owe her a favor for the UCS Yoda she sold me, my wife loved building it and it is still one of our favorite sets!

Other people here have done me favors, and if for some reason I've left you off, don't be afraid to ask for it in return, I will always pay it back.
    speedpro50
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290

@CCC We've been here before so its never going to end in agreement, but lets take that further. If someone is clearing the shelves and a little boy comes up to the shelf just as the evil reseller (joke) is putting the last set in their trolley but doesn't think of handing one over, is that selfish. Is the reseller a t*** or is it just a hard lesson for little johnny to learn. Hell, why not just snatch the set out of little johny's hands - another hard lesson he needs to learn.

Of course, since everything that transpires after is hypothetical, it could be taken in the other direction, and quite far also:

A reseller cleared out the last of the clearance LEGO, and it was a good thing he did because had he not, little Johnny would have bought the set, played with it, moved on to something else after 30 mins leaving the pieces behind where his toddler sister found them, swallowed them, and was rushed to the emergency room.
    y2joshPitfall69Chang405
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    Full disclosure: Occasionally I buy multiples at sets for trade or sale. Wouldn't consider myself a reseller though.

@LegoFanTexas is absolutely right, the "think of the children" gambit is not very well thought through. Otherwise, those who bring it up must never buy more than for their own use. Because the kid will feel the same, whether it lost out due to a reseller, or to a bricksetter who hands it on (for profit, inasmuch as there is the notion of reciprocity).
    Please note how this also and in particular applies to limited items at brand store openings.

In fact, presumably we're all adults here who can generally afford more Lego than the average kid. How about we only buy Lego at RRP and let the young ones with restricted pocket money have the deals?
    That has the additional benefit that Lego, Amazon, Asda etc. make more profit and can go easier on their employees. Some of which assumedly have kids.

Well, I couldn't resist. Back to being serious. I for one don't mind hearing how many sets other people stock. Gives me an idea where they put their bets. Actually much better than just having people who are known to make profits but don't share their methods (which would be ok as well).

Let's also keep in mind that without resellers, any Lego set which has gone EOL would be impossible to obtain MISB. Resellers who buy sets cheap, then resell them on eBay, let others take part in reductions (admittedly at a lower reduction). Some of these buyers might be kids.

So, now let's all turn and bash those evil collectors who buy Lego en masse, drive the prices up, then don't even open those darn boxes!
    dragonhawkLegoFanTexasspeedpro50
    edited October 2012
    It seems I have the most disagree badges on this thread for my comments that it is a tough lesson, and that kids do not have any entitlement to discounted lego and in that sense they are no different to anyone else.

So what age is the cut off? If a middle aged man comes along whilst you are putting the last of 50 reduced lego sets into your trolley and he says he wanted one and that it was for himself (maybe to play with, maybe to be encased in perspex), does he deserve one any more or less than a kid?

What if it was a 16+ set? Those are not for kids anyway, so is it ethically OK to clear the lot?
    LegoFanTexas
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited October 2012
    The point, of course, is that we can construct the full spectrum of scenarios that transpire afterwards, so it's effortless and convenient to look at one side and condemn the action.

I contend that no private person is getting obscenely rich from reselling LEGO, and it's more likely that someone going through such great lengths does so because they very much need the source of income -- quite possibly more than the parent that was looking to add to their child's LEGO collection.

Due to this, I don't assign any morality to the action. As has been stated previously, I would view this differently if the item were a necessity, but LEGO is a luxury.
    Pitfall69Joseph
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    absolut3 said:

Besides the point of being ethical or moral or not, there are people who actually like seeing the pictures of stacks and stacks of lego people were able to pick up. Me being one of them. It may be more correct to post it in the brag thread but I also don't see a problem being in a sale thread if the pictures pertain to that sale.

Assuming that you are not posting this just to get a reaction, can you explain this??
    Argos are a reseller of Lego, would you like to see photos of the Lego in their back room?
    What is it you get out of looking at a pile of the same boxes?

I am genuinely confused what anyone can get out of seeing a photo of someone else's 50 copies of the same Lego set, those same sets were on the shelf of a store in the same manner the day before, would you have been excited by an instore photo?

jdylakcheshirecat
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    edited October 2012
    What happened to this forum?? There are more discussions, debates, arguments, insults about reselling ethics, packing complaints, inventory boasting and general mine is bigger than yours than actual Lego discussion.

What happened to the discussions on Lego sets themselves? I think I'm going to take a break from this website for a week or two until whatever is going on cools off.
    AnthonyC173herekittykittyjonboy2000BrickarmorshikadiJoseph
  • AmberylAmberyl Member Posts: 193
    In part, I enjoy reading the Brickset forums because they are collector/trader/reseller-focused; there's plenty of other general discussion on the Eurobricks forums, for instance. Brickset posters routinely share great info on sales, which is helpful to everyone in this community. I enjoy reading about other people's great finds, whether they're resellers or not, and other people's happily obsessive collecting.

Resellers do perform a service to the Lego community; they create a kind of artificial liquidity to the Lego market. I suspect that reseller hoarding is one of the things that has made large sets like the modulars more broadly available and available for longer periods of time, for instance. Resellers mean that sales of big sets really make a material difference in the movement of those big sets, encouraging retailers to discount them more frequently.

Also, frankly, it's good for the fans if NISB sets are available for years after they're discontinued by Lego. Individual resellers, as profitable as a single set might turn out to be, are able to deal in inventory that most normal commercial businesses wouldn't. In the end, most of them are driven by passion; the money might look nice, but I'd bet that when you look at the return on invested capital and time, they would be objectively better off putting their money elsewhere. Reselling lets them turn the passion for a hobby into a way to make some money on the side.

The average parent spends three weeks deciding on a toy purchase -- figuring out what to buy and where to buy it. That means that they're generally not picking up whatever happens to be discounted at clearance, unless they've found it on their deliberate bargain-hunt -- clearance is what gets wealthier parents to get their kids more stuff on impulse. Those are the parents who can normally afford to buy Lego at RRP anyway. The chance that you're denying little Johnny the chance to get a set is just about nil, although you are a real meanie if you've just cleared out the aisle and little Johnny is standing there -- common courtesy practically requires that you ask if he wants something you've got in your giant cartload.
    mressin
  • MarkVMarkV Member Posts: 42
    Man, it's just LEGO. No use getting all bent out of shape about it. There are other toys and other things in life. I like a good deal as much as the next guy/gal and I like to hear about what people have found on clearance - it lets me go out and "hunt" as well. I don't find anything WAAAAYY more often than I find a deal. Does it make me upset? No, I have enough things in life to worry about versus whether I got a deal on Legos. Also, finding Legos on a really GOOD sale, from what I can tell, is work in itself and time consuming to boot. Full Disclosure : Have I bought out multiple sets before? Yep, 7 is my max - I bought 'em all! Mwahahaha! They were not on clearance, but selling well under what they should cost (mismarked likely). The other 5 stores I checked as a result were marked at standard price ($19.99) - that was so not worth it! They will all end up as gifts this holiday. Just call me Evil Santa Claus.

I hear about the guy with 50 Deathstars and think - how long is he / she going to be sitting on those? Is it really worth dealing with selling them? Does everyone really want to sit on 50 Deathstars/MMVs/TH/GE/PS/etc? I don't. Let "that guy" do it. If I want one, I will go buy one. If I want one cheaper than MSRP, I will wait for a sale/read forums/hunt craigslist. If it's too expensive, I just won't buy it - there are other toys and there are plenty of other Lego sets.

I understand the frustration, but is it really worth stressing over? If it's really p*ssing you off, one might consider whether it's worth it.
    LegoFanTexasdragonhawkBumblepantsmkolandian
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 519
    "What about the children?"

What about the middle aged woman with the terrible Lego hoarding problem? Where's my parade and Twitter campaign? ;)

I've found that most of the resellers on Brickset are helpful and have gone out of their way to provide a fair service.

If someone passes on a set at their cost, that's a generous gesture. I don't expect it though and I think sometimes, some folks think it's a given.
    LegoFanTexaswagnerml2Pitfall69brocksbricks

"What about the children?"

What about the middle aged woman with the terrible Lego hoarding problem? Where's my parade and Twitter campaign? ;)

*waves flag*

*runs off to Twitter to send some Tweets*
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Lego clearance sales at walmart/kmart/target are cutthroat times that last mere days, if that. Little timmy doesn't stand a chance at getting a set, whether I clear the shelves or not. He doesn't even know about the sales in the first place. And if I don't clear them, someone else will in about 20 minutes, most likely by someone who isn't even a lego collector themselves. Love it or hate it, that's just the way it is.

I like seeing posts about what other people are getting/finding. It's helpful for me when I go out hunting, and I always enjoy seeing what other people found and in what quantities. I don't begrudge anyone for that. It's a game - sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. People upset over these kinds of posts have sour grapes syndrome, in my opinion.
    wagnerml2Miles
  • absolut3absolut3 Member Posts: 83

absolut3 said:

Assuming that you are not posting this just to get a reaction, can you explain this??
    Argos are a reseller of Lego, would you like to see photos of the Lego in their back room?

I am genuinely confused what anyone can get out of seeing a photo of someone else's 50 copies of the same Lego set, those same sets were on the shelf of a store in the same manner the day before, would you have been excited by an instore photo?

Although I don't really need to justify why I like something and since you are curious, for me there really is not much to get out of from those picture. It is just interesting for me to see. Warehouse full of packages that a retailer has is something common but not so much so when it's a bunch of lego boxes in some one's home, although it is becoming a little more common now. It's just a picture. I enjoy it. It's nothing to get too serious about.

• AnthonyC173AnthonyC173 Member Posts: 101
    i think people hate resellers not so much when they buy things from a store on clearance but when they buy things online.
    In a store there is only a certain group of people who can go to that store, so less people will be affected as to say a sale online, where everyone has a chance of getting a good set.
    So when a re-seller camps by his desk and sees a sale online, buys 50 of them and 10 mins later its oos that is what pisses ppl off i believe.

yes re-sellers can say, that the other people who only wants one is also selfish because they want the set for THEMSELVES. yes this is true but everyone is selfish, We all want a good home, good food, and a good person to share it all with.
    what im saying is there is a difference from selfish and REALLY SELFISH. Like a murderer and Hitler. (not saying re-seller is Hitler just making a point)

now personally i don't hate re-sellers, but it does erks me when i go online to walmart and see the GE oos all the time, but then i look at my lego collection and say to myself "Hey, you know what? i got plenty of nice legos here." and i'll calm down.

So for other people when your piss don't point your anger towards re-seller, try to let is out in a healthy way in which it won't affect anyone.
  • AmberylAmberyl Member Posts: 193
    Tip: Use camelcamelcamel.com for price alerts for Amazon. It can send you email or DM you on Twitter. If you've got a smartphone with a Twitter app that can buzz you when you get a DM, you can use Amazon's mobile site (or app) to make a quick purchase.

Although interestingly, I see that Amazon is selling the passenger train at a deep discount today despite it being out of stock -- you can buy it to have it shipped to you when it's in-stock.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited October 2012
    ^I think discussion of CCC is generally discouraged here because it competes directly with the Amazon pricing data available on Brickset. Also, it's probably worth noting that by the time CCC notifies you of a really good deal, chances are it will be gone due to only periodic price scanning. I've noticed that I have much better luck simply saving an Amazon search in my favorites and checking it frequently (but that's just me; I work from home and have plenty of time to waste doing that).
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,981
    edited October 2012
    I have mixed views.
    No, I don't hate the reseller, they are trying to do what everyone is doing, and simply making by.

On the other hand, yes, I do become frustrated at times.
    I purchased Lloyd on Amazon. I mentioned it, but it was buried inside a thread. The following day it was mentioned on it's own thread.

The stock was quite good until the reselling took over, and then it kept selling out over and over again.

One one hand, yeah, for those who saw an opportunity. Here was the green ninja. The only other way to get him was via a hugely expensive pack that most kids could not buy.

On the other hand, yes, I do play the 'poor kid card'. The green Ninja is THE ninja that most kids would want after watching the show, and most families can't shell out over $100 for the large set, but probably can spend $10.

This is a case where Lego actually really did a nice job of stocking Lloyd, so there have been plenty of him around to find. If they hadn't, though, this probably would have been one of those hard to find must have toys for the holidays.

So, yes, on one hand, I'm quite happy for capitalism at work, and seeing people able to make a profit. On the other hand, yes, it is frustrating seeing the potential of an item made for kids not actually available for them. (Which is exactly what would have happened if Lego had underestimated demand.)

I do get the argument in these cases that if the original manufacturer stocked appropriately, there would not be a problem to begin with. True, but usually most companies gauge the market of hot toys incorrectly. Surprisingly, Lego did a good job this go around.

So, no, I don't hate the reseller, but yes, there are times I do become frustrated.

I honestly do not see anything wrong with becoming frustrated with resellers on occasion, and no, I don't think there is anything wrong with the 'kid card' on certain occasions. The reality is from time to time, we have all become frustrated at various occupations out there for differing reasons, and the occupation of reseller is no different.
    Any time one gets upset about Lego for any reason... watch this:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/us/2012/10/09/surprise-military-family-south-carolina-game.gamecocksonline-com

Both sides of the reseller coin are really not important. ^ That is what is important. Watch the girl in the middle, her face and reactions...
    wagnerml2
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    Wait... soooo.... can someone get me a cheap Grand Emporium? I think a tan hardware store MOC sounds like a great idea. (credit to LFT for posting the idea)
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281

absolut3 said:

Ha, so funny and so true!

It's not exciting, but I often imagine something along the lines of "Blimey, where on earth would I store all that for the next 1-2 years, before I consider selling it." And it reminds me why I don't buy big time to resell.
  • ktmoktmo Member Posts: 73
    So, when my daughters were babies, I used to cloth diaper. Who knows why? Did you know that there are websites and forums just for cloth diapers? People go crazy stalking websites, waiting for diapers to stock and then get angry when people buy them up and resell them. Can you believe that you could buy a cloth diaper for $40 and resell it for $100? Now that my girls are older, I am on a website/forum for Lego and the same topic of reselling is hashed and rehashed.
This discussion has been closed.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy Brickset.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.