Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2012 Jambalaya exchange (US)

Comments

• MontyKensicleMontyKensicle Member Posts: 59
    Sorry for the delay! Got some commissions out of the blue and the box slipped my mind last week. Gonna try again this week to send it out.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    Hi all,

You may have noticed that I've been pretty inactive for the past month. Our 2nd child was born mid-June, and we've been pretty busy as a result!

Things are starting to settle down in our household, so I will be resuming a more regular level of activity, albeit probably still reduced.

At any rate, the first box has completed its circuit and is back in my possession! When we first started it, I set the goal to complete it by the calendar year, so kudos to everyone for turning it around with 5 months to spare!

I'll photograph the contents by the end of the week, and maybe we can collectively come up with what we want to do with it depending on the quantity and uniqueness of the pieces, i.e. send it to Europe, send it back through to everyone.
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 519
    Congratulations, @rocao!! That's wonderful news!! Your presence or absence rather, is completely understandable.

Has the little one started playing with Duplo yet? :D
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 818
    Congrats again Rocao! Try to find time to sleep!
    Package was sent out Monday, I would have sent it Saturday but my sister made us late so the post Office closed before we could mail it last week.
  • sas0214sas0214 USAMember Posts: 28
    @jadedanc I sent u a pm....I had to change my address for box #3 due to a mud slide in my backyard that knocked our house off its foundation.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,302
    @sas0214 Ouch! I am hoping things are better soon for you! I WILL (lol) mail out box #3 on Monday...first stop in our neighbors up north
  • allmybricksallmybricks Member Posts: 156
    Box #2 is going out on Wednesday. Apologies for the delay... work recovery after BrickFair took longer than I thought! Pictures up on Flickr.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 818
    Thanks for the update @allmybricks...was wondering about Box #2's whereabouts.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Any new update on Box #2's whereabouts?
    Box #2, Attn, Box#2. Please report your coordinates.

:D
    Hi Toki! I think you're after me this round, any bits you're searching for?

Can we also get an updated list of Players for Box #2?
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    37206 post office heading to Dan. I love my neighborhood but I'm so sick of standing in line behind all the musicians sending out dozens of CDs one at a time. The things we do for LEGO.

I think the list is in the first post.
    @Brickdancer - nothing in particular that I'm looking for unless you have some classic space printed bricks. I'm in full on vintage mode.
    I have the 2x2 tiles with Classic Space logo from the Meteor Strike game, would that help?
    Oooh, yes please! :D
    Done deal @Toki! I'll dig around to see if I have anything else for Classic Space.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Box #2 is in-hand. Thanks @Jenni. Will dig through it this weekend, exchange items, and try and get it shipped out on Monday.
    Any update on where Box 2 is?
    I'm the hold up. My apologies. This will ship out tomorrow.
    It's on its way.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    man, i forgot all about this! can't wait to get my hands on box #2. are there recent pics of what's in it?
    ^ I'll try and post my pics tonight.
    @dougts sorry, I'd had some technical difficulties and forgot to go back and do it later. Sorry about the atrocious lack of focus in the out picture.
    My photos are up now
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 589
    Photos are uploaded, and Box #2 is on its way to @curvedroadplate.
    Getting closer!!! :)
  • fyrmedhattfyrmedhatt Member Posts: 128
    Due to being in a partial "gray-age" and overall being far too busy right now, I'm going to pull out of box 2 if possible. Hopefully this won't be an inconvenience for you guys.
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    I am waiting to hear back from @aimlesspursuits. Box just needs to be photographed and sent on its way.
  • aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    I am here but looking at the list, shouldn't @graphite be next? Or did he pull out too?

PM sent to @CurvedRoadPlate just in case.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,274
    I dropped out.
    edited October 2012
    Hi all,

I deeply apologize for the delay in this update. I finally managed to photograph the contents of box 1. They are the latest five photos in the group pool and tagged with "brickset_box1": http://www.flickr.com/groups/brickset_jambalaya/pool/

As I'm sure you noticed as the box was making the rounds, people were putting in more than they were taking out. So now I'd like to solicit opinions and decide on a group what we want to do with the box.

I have a few ideas, but I'll give others a chance to chime in first.
    Holy crap on a stick.
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 474
    ^^ Those are some pretty nice items left over. If you guys don't know what to do with the leftovers, I'd be happy to buy some of the items (namely the Statue of Liberty and NY polybags).
    I would be okay with donating them to a local shelter or perhaps we can adopt a "family" for the holidays. There are lots of needy families who struggle to provide gifts for their children over Christmas.

Although if we do the latter, I might want to include a whole set.

Just a thought.

I'm happy with whatever the group decides though. This was a great experience and I'm not surprised at all with the generosity of everyone involved.

• allmybricksallmybricks Member Posts: 156
    Wow - there sure is a lot of stuff left. Some awesome stuff too.

I'm game for whatever the group wants to do. Maybe holiday fundraiser to raise some cash and make a donation of some complete sets? The parts are kind of random to donate on their own.

I'd definitely be interested in buying some of the things out of the box. Maybe we can do something like split it up into grab bags that folks can make a small donation and receive?

I can volunteer to help coordinate something like that, but it has to be after I get back from my honeymoon on November 4th.
    The comments thus far reflect exactly what I was thinking. This jambalaya has proven that we are a generous bunch.

One of the early ideas from the group was that the box could be sent over to Europe. The contents are a good variety and could be put to good use, but there's nothing particularly novel about them that would justify the ~$35 cost of postage apart from some polybags. We could send just the polybags, but I don't think there's enough to sustain much circulation.

So, some options to consider are:
    1. Donate it as is
    2. Sell/auction it (on Brickset or offsite). Donate proceeds or use it to fund the next Brickset community activity (jambalaya, something else?)
    3. Break the box up into a few smaller lots and free raffle it to participants

I'm not opposed to sending some stuff out at a participant's request also, i.e. jadeirene requesting NY polybags, but we'd need to find a fair way to do it.

Other thoughts?
    ^ Just to let you know, I didn't participate in this round, so if there's someone else who wants those polys, I will definitely step aside. If you guys donate them, I would totally understand too (but I am willing to pay for them).
    edited October 2012
    I would like one cab polybag if there are any. Or if more than one wants it, just draw names.

I just got done with BrickCon so my mind is mush at the moment lol

I also like all the other choices but since you started the box and put in the bricks to start, I think you get a higher say in the leftovers :)
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    @jadedanc I have them both for you... i know you sent me your address before but PM me the current one and I'll try to get around to them next week (gonna be busy with Comic Con this week)

@jadeirene if we don't sell those ones I have both or can get more... they're no longer Rockefeller Center Lego Store exclusives, Times Square TRU has both and I found the Statue of Liberty here in a Queens TRU also, though I doubt they're going to spread much more... (coincidence... the Queens branch is in a building that used to house the "TSS" or "Times Square Stores" department store, maybe they got it sent as a mistake =-)
    @murphquake Thanks so much for the offer! I'll probably take you up on that if people don't want to complicate things by splitting up the remnants of the jambalaya box. I can pay you for them, or if there are any polybags that you're looking for, I'm open to a trade as well.
    edited October 2012
    jadedanc said:

I also like all the other choices but since you started the box and put in the bricks to start, I think you get a higher say in the leftovers :)

Once I remove the items I would like from the box, my opinion carries as much weight as any other participant. The only caveat to that would be the amount of time and effort any proposed solution would cost me, but I don't expect anything that unreasonable to be chosen.
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    @rocao, I forgot to add my worthless opinion on what you should do with the parts you got back... THEY'RE YOURS BRO!!! You started the box, you reap the benefits of it coming back to you with more than it started. I probably should have saved a lot of what I put in for X2, but I took a big bunch of stuff out and wanted to be fair, I think everyone did. In the meantime we did a great thing for my buddy @bmwlego, who I had the pleasure of building with for a few hours yesterday (oh BTW me & smartypants took apart everything you built, Bri, we decided it just didn't fit in =-p) and I noticed he took a nice little chunk out of what I put in. If it really bothers you to hold onto that stuff I'd say take out any and everything you want from it... then take a little more. I'm all for giving some of the sets away or selling the polys and donating the money, but if the goal was to donate polys to charity then we could have said so from the beginning. At the point the box got to each of us we decided what to put in and knew in the end it would either get swapped or get back to you. When it got to you it was yours to keep, an unexpected surprise bonus to you for starting the whole thing up.

if it's really going to bother you find a box about the size of the original one... fill it to the brim and then some with things you like... grab a few polys and minifigs on the side... then put the remains aside for the next round of the jambalaya to reach you and send it off
    I'm really not worried. I think it would be fine for you to keep all of it but I know I wouldn't want to either. Given that you have to carry out any plan I do think your opinion carries more weight.
    murphquake
    I like the donation idea, when I was younger my family could never afford the bigger sets. I usually got a poly-bag or other small set every once in a awhile and maybe a 10-20 dollar kit every three months.

When the Angel Tree paired me with someone who knew I really loved Lego and bought me one of the bigger kits it was the best! :)
    littletoki
    @CurvedRoadPlate I PM'd you my address but didn't hear from you whether or not Box 2 got mailed out. Curious if it's been mailed it out? Or maybe you hadn't received my mailing address?
    I got the box and I should be able to get it sent out on Monday.

Impressive how much stuff can be jammed into a little box.
    I was able to get it done tonight so its ready to be shipped out tommorow as long as I can cram all the stuff back in. Pics uploaded to the Flickr group as well.
    Just got Box #2 the other day and already have it packed up to go for the next person, whom is @KulshanGirl. Just waiting on confirmation of her address and it will be going out.
    Still haven't heard back from @KulshanGirl, is she even still around?