Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Building co-operatively.

leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
edited September 2012 in Building and Techniques
My children are starting to get old enough now to build on their own (with occasional checks) but we had tremendous fun all building various parts of Alien Conquest HQ simultaneously the other day. Since then we've built Helm's Deep (although I did a lot of that one) and it got me thinking:

1. Does anybody else build like this - together but on separate parts of a model?

2. Do you have any recommendations for sets where this approach works well? AC HQ was perfect because of multiple numbered bags, different instruction books and a range of complexity in the sub-models. Helm's deep was great in terms of size, 4 instruction books and 8+ components of the build although individual builds were at the extreme of what my boys had patience and ability for. Modular buildings would definitely be too much.

Thanks in advance

Lee

Comments

• ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    I did the Fire Brigade with my brother as well as the GE.

They are great for building Coop. You build one floor and I will build the other.
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    My wife loves to help me build. She generally sorts the parts as I build, passing me the bits i need. It makes the build a lot quicker, but sometimes I like to just do it myself. (Don't tell her though).
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,296
    My friend and I sometimes pass it around while we're doing something else (ie, watching TV or interneting or what have you). Like each of us will take a page (or two page spread) and then give it back to the other. I actually find this more fun if you don't pay attention to what the other person is doing, because when you get it back you get to see all these little surprises (and sometimes it's fun to point out that they missed a step too!).
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,944
    My brother and I often at least sort the bricks first cooperatively, even if only one of us will be building. We have built the MMV together (I did one booklet, he did the other) and the PotC London Escape (Ditto, though it hardly needed it). Older sets are harder to do it with because even if they have 2 booklets, there will not be a logical stopping/starting step inbetween the two. (ie, the MMV has one house in one booklet, and the other house and all the accessories in the other, whereas older sets will simply continue building into the second booklet)
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Almost all the larger city sets allow this - police station, fire station etc as they have different components of the building plus the vehicles with their own bags and instruction books.

If you want a slightly nicer end result, the same goes for the bat cave (my boys love the lift where Bruce Wayne changes into batman) and there are three separate parts to the building - the doorway, the lift and the prison/holding cell. I suspect that the same is true for Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout - although I haven't built it yet.
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    Thanks @plasmodium and @cheshirecat.

I've actually got a MMV in my Lego stash, so that's a great idea. From a look at the instructions online, it looks like it doesn't have numbered bags, so a bit of pre-sorting will be required. Actually MMV looks really good because one of my boys is a good builder and likes building big things, and the other could build all the little accessories.

I'll also look into the BatCave. They are enjoying the videogame and looking through the new Encyclopedia so that will go well, but I have to buy it.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 885
    For me and my boys, I do all the sorting myself (my choice). Then I pick out the right pieces and my son puts them into place. This goes well for us. It lets him get a few pieces put in place before I've picked the next step's pieces, and then we finish the step together. My other son helps us by demolishing the set every few pages. That's when it becomes Dad's challenge to fix it again and again and again...
    PS the boys are 2 and 4. Guess which one does the demolishing?
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ this is pretty much what i do with my girls. their patience generally doesn't last the whole build though, so eventually they bore of building and I take over to the tune of "let me know when it's done Dad so I can play with it". They definitely think of building as a one-time investment so they then have the completed object to play with - not unlike putting together a bike or dollhouse or something on Christmas morning.

I have a son due in 6 weeks. It will be interesting to see what differences he brings to the build experience in a few years.
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    I spent several hours last night turning MMV into a numbered bag set with 14 bags. I might also copy some of the instructions pages so it's easy to start at any point. Hope to have some fun building at the weekend when my wife is away.