Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Expired: Walmart.com: Super Star Destroyer, Ultimate R2-D2, Death Star reduced!

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

Thanks, scooped 10 more FB's to add to the stockpile. Unbeatable price. Hopefully 2 day shipping means they will arrive in good condition!

5x Amazon accounts? Sheesh!
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    bah, could not resist the temptation. Adding a FB to my horde of sets. I know it may take awhile to go up in price, but I can't pass up that kind of price drop.
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 245
    Amazon are matching the Death Star price.
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    Those FB are really tempting me. I can't help wondering if I can't just flip them for ~$140 each on Craigslist before Christmas for a quick 20% each.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited September 2012
    10 FB's !?!?!

I'm in Little League compared to some of you that are in the Majors. I got a whooping 2 PS's on Amazon and had to ask my Better Half before I did. Now I have to store them for 2 years. :-) I don't have the room or the $$$ for many more LEGOS. :-)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,437
    edited September 2012
    Well Amazon is locking down accounts to 2 each of the mods at this price.
    I'm glad they are, it benefits those who want one and (usually) stops those who want to grab as many as they can.
    So 2 PS and 2 FB...
    Basically the pets shops are the price they probably should be normally (or near it :-) )

Running out of room through.. my place is brusting at the seems.. At least I do not have to work about getting up at 6am for a TRU BOGO50 sale... unless it is B2G1F Im not having it..... Although my LEGO October double points total is going to be pretty low after the Amazon.com sale
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    I've never really though of the PS as overpriced. It feels smaller than the other modulars, but I almost enjoy that design style more. They make very good use of the space available to them.
    The Pet Shop is underrated, I very much enjoyed the build, since it was 2x 16 stud wide buildings, I felt I got a lot for the money.

Given the choice, I'd take PS over GE any day, GE was boring on the second and third floors (great on the first), but that is just my take.
    cloaked7 said:

10 FB's !?!?!

I'm in Little League compared to some of you that are in the Majors. I got a whooping 2 PS's on Amazon and had to ask my Better Half before I did. Now I have to store them for 2 years. :-) I don't have the room or the $$$ for many more LEGOS. :-)

Don't feel bad, some of us are just nuts. :)

I picked up the last 7 FBs from Walmart last night, with 2 more from Amazon this morning, I'm approaching a hundred of them.

It still remains the very best modular in my opinion, and once it retires, it should still do well. It won't do $500 well, but it should make $100 per set a year after retirement.

I hope... :)
    edited September 2012
    It will not make 500 easily if there are people out there with 100 to sell. :-)
    Im guessing like other mods they will get to 500, but it will take some time (like GG) Do not underestimate the popularity of a fire station, especially if they never make another modular one.
    ^ Never is a long time, but they won't make another Fire Station modular for long enough that it won't matter.

As for 100 of them, that sounds like a lot, and it is to try and sell them at $500 each. If I'm willing to move most of them at $250 next Christmas (and I am), they'll go much faster.

Keep in mind that at $250, FB is still only about 11 cents a part, that is actually really cheap all things considered. It is way under-priced right now.
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    Does anybody think this is an indication that Walmart will no longer be stocking these big sets?
  • gdelahoussegdelahousse Member Posts: 153
    ^ sopwith and town hall are too recent for not re-stocking those anymore...
    and it is a nice set, and still a Fire Dept building.. there is a reason why LEGO builds one every few years, they sell well.
    Plus the colors are nice AND you get a garage door on top of it, so you can move some pieces around and use this as a 'base' with other PaB parts and make other buildings IMO...
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Every time I go out of town I forget to check this forum regularly... I just found this sale news and checked the Town Hall to see it for 149! But of course it's sold out... That was the exact price I was waiting to pick this set up...
    edited September 2012
    bea said:

Does anybody think this is an indication that Walmart will no longer be stocking these big sets?

There have been reports of newly released sets (LotR) on clearance at some Walmart stores, and also reports that some stores are no longer stocking Friends (which is a tremendous seller). I can't imagine Walmart no longer selling LEGO, but I wonder if something about the business relationship is changing.

• gdelahoussegdelahousse Member Posts: 153
    @yys4u, if it will make you feel any better, it was never in stock for that price, it sold out when it was still $161 (as did Amazon)
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    edited September 2012
    Looks like Amazon didn't have 999+ Fire Brigades after all. That's been happening a lot lately.
    Yes, they are playing with the inventory numbers. That didn't used to happen, but I see it more and more...

Clearly someone there bought themselves a clue. :)
    I did say FB would sell out in less than 12 hours, didn't I? :)
    Pet Shop sold out as well...
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    The Death Star has sold about 200 units since I started watching it as well. Should be gone by the evening.
    y2josh said:

The Death Star has sold about 200 units since I started watching it as well. Should be gone by the evening.

Assuming the inventory number is accurate, which I do not believe.

I have watched it just sit all day, not going down for an hour, then it drops, then it stays.

At a discount, given the sales rank of DS, I don't believe it doesn't sell a single copy for an hour.

But I could be wrong. :)
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    @gdelahousse haha thanks, that actually does make me feel better knowing there was no way of getting it at that price regardless.
  • ChoochChooch Member Posts: 148
    Blah - after this missed sale, modulars are out of my reach. You guys enjoy your hoards & I'll focus elsewhere.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Um, Imperial Shuttle went down to $238. Not a bad time to buy the set if you haven't already. YES, it has been cheaper, but it seems that this set is disappearing soon.
  • TitusTitus Member Posts: 79
    richl said:

Amazon are matching the Death Star price.

Holy crap. I just bought a 2nd death star....

• dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    edited September 2012
    Walmart is such a tease saying GE is back in stock but it became unavailable as soon as I put it in my cart
    Wow. This ended up being a very expensive day for me.
    You and me both. ;)

If you believe the inventory numbers, Amazon is down to 130 Death Stars left, but over a thousand SSDs.

The SSD matters less, since it will be around for years to come. The Death Star *might* finally be going this Christmas. Maybe... :) Of course, we all thought it was going last year, so what do we know...
  • AnthonyC173AnthonyC173 Member Posts: 101
    edited September 2012

^ Show them some recently retired sets, then show them what they are selling for on eBay.

Explain that you can build and enjoy them for a few years, by keeping the box and instructions, you can turn around and sell them for what you paid for them, and perhaps more.

So you aren't wasting money, you're just storing it while enjoying it.

tried won't work, my parents don't believe in this sort of thing, i hate to stereotype but we're Chinese. They like to save money, and don't trust other people when it comes to buying and selling. you should have seen their face when i told them i spent $150 on the FB.
    sometimes i feel like lego is my drug, i buy it and try to hide it from my parents :)
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 783
    Remind them that you are just "enjoying them" and if you ever want to sell them in the future, you will get your money back. Well at least on the above $100 sets, anyway.

tried won't work, my parents don't believe in this sort of thing, i hate to stereotype but we're Chinese.

I must be dense, I really have no idea what being Chinese has to do with it? And yes, that is an honest question.

They like to save money, and don't trust other people when it comes to buying and selling.

Don't we all like to save money? But anyone who thinks putting cash under their mattress is "saving money" really doesn't understand how money works.

I'm not saying buying Lego is the smartest thing you could ever do with money, just that people of all walks of life, all races and backgrounds, have plenty of funny ideas when it comes to money.

As for "don't trust other people when it comes to buying and selling", I have to claim a big fat "huh? Do they think eBay is evil? Please explain that, I did not understand.
    edited September 2012

tried won't work, my parents don't believe in this sort of thing, i hate to stereotype but we're Chinese. They like to save money, and don't trust other people when it comes to buying and selling. you should have seen their face when i told them i spent $150 on the FB.
    sometimes i feel like lego is my drug, i buy it and try to hide it from my parents :)

Then get out of your parents', earn your own money, and get your own place. When you can support yourself then the heck what anyone thinks. Now if you are still in any way financially dependent on your parents, then it is properly within their right to be concern about how you spend "your" money.
    It is not about stereotype, that is what responsible parents should do.
    ^ Being a parent myself, I generally agree with you, however plenty of parents are not responsible, which of course is a serious problem in society...

I have no idea nor any way to know if the poster's parents are responsible or not, just saying in general that not all parents are wonderful.
    edited September 2012
    Just to clarify my last sentence. I was mainly trying to point out that race or stereotype should not have anything to do with parents being concern about their child's financial well being.
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    After much internal struggle, I gave in and bought GS and GE. $111 per? I couldn't pass it up. Funny thing about GE. When I typed it in the search, 2 diff ones came up. One titled "Lego Creator Grand Emporium" and plain ol "Lego Grand Emporium". The second was listed as sold out but the Creator titled one was still there at $111. I'm not a fan of the mods right now but geez, I'd pick up any mod for that price. Maybe some day I will want to like them and these will be long gone and out of my price range. Both shipped today!
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    Wow! These deals. I'm still struggling on my main commitment to just Star Wars(Black Pearl exception). I might give into Kingdoms if MMV ever goes on sale. Good thing Joust is already OOS. A Knight's Tale is one of my favorite movies and that set reminds me of it. Plus when I was a kid I had a few of the old LEGO Knights. Must resist. >_<
    Amazon just raised DS back up...

I did say FB would sell out in less than 12 hours, didn't I? :)

yeah yeah, try not to break your arm patting yourself on the back... :-)
    The question is will FB be replenished or are we going to see these gone for good now at these retail outlets?
    Same with other sets...
    Chooch said:

Blah - after this missed sale, modulars are out of my reach. You guys enjoy your hoards & I'll focus elsewhere.

Well it sucks that you missed the sale.
    I dunno if I can call it 'hoards'. I mean maybe at the walmart site you can buy 100, but Amazon has been pretty good about limiting those to 2 of a specific set while a sale is going on.. Even if you try to check out again. Now I am sure there are those that have ways around that, but I think the majority did not. Plus I think GE was never put on sale at Amazon strangely enough.

I just think it was a really good deal for the Mods and many people (not just those trying to buy as many as they can) got in on it
    I would say the Mods will most likely be on sale at Amazon in the next year, but I'm guessing FB will be no longer available by then.
    Then again, it is the holidays coming up and there will be more sales. Heck Target has not had theirs yet and Im guessing they will have one.. maybe Amazon will price match again.. who knows

Also do not forget there is a BOGO40% coming up for TRU tonight/tomorrow (most likely at 7am EDT tomorrow morning again, but check at 12am EDT tonight), which basically was the prices at Walmart for much of the time (until the prices got insane)
    Not sure if the Mods will be on it though.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited September 2012
    Wasn't planning to grab another R2D2, but I had a special offer from Amazon reducing the price from $151 to $143. At $143, I just couldn't pass it up. This is the time of year that I feel really guilty about my expenditures...
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Just received three sets from Amazon...PS, Space Shuttle and Ghost Train (I'm a sucker for trains). Anyway, they arrived in a HUGE box that was crushed on one end. I knew before I opened it the sets would also all be crushed on one end. But as I took them out one at a time, I was extremely elated to find not one set box was damaged. It's the first time I've EVER received undamaged large box sets from Amazon. I feel like I won the lottery!
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Same here, got 2 PS's. Thought at least 1 would be messed up since they were sent one atop the other in the same box. But, UPS isn't busy like at Xmas, so I don't think they are throwing boxes around and cramming them in the trucks. Both of my PS's arrived without even a slight dent or crease. Yippee!
    I still have a few more sets coming from Amazon (TH, R2D2, and 2X Log Cabins), so we'll see how that goes. Perhaps more sets in a box gives the box more strength? I just know that it's rare when I receive Lego sets from Amazon that haven't been crushed or damaged in some fashion...
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,144
    I received my 2 Fire Brigades in one box from Amazon today. The box was in rough shape from both sides but surprisingly both boxes only had minor creasing. Not enough I think to bother with a return. The only packing material inside the box was a small strip of brown paper. Terrible.
  • AmberylAmberyl Member Posts: 193
    Two sets in a box is just about ideal, I think. More and the weight of some boxes start to cause the heavier ones to crush the lighter ones. Amazon generally sends me Lego in pristine condition unless I buy a bunch of sets of different sizes that they try to pack together in one box. I think it's hard for them to put in enough filler material to prevent the contents from shifting around during shipping.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Random thought:

If one ordered 2x Fire Brigades during this sale at the low price of $111.59 ($223.18 subtotal), you'd have 4462 pieces.

If you opted to buy the new UCS B-Wing ($199.99), you'd have 1487 pieces.

2975 more pieces, for the difference of $23. Yeah, not bad at all! Grats to those that were able to capitalize on this.

• ZemataZemata Member Posts: 4
    How are you guys getting amazon to prce match? I'd really like to get a pair of GEs for $111 each. They're sold out of walmart and at $150 on amazon.
    Amazon never dropped the price on the GE, only Pet Shop and Fire Brigade. But they have since raised both back up (or at least Pet Shop, they sold out of FB)
    It was the best deal on PS that I've seen since its been out.