Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Only 69 10188 Death Stars left on Amazon.com!

stephenvwstephenvw Lexington, KYMember Posts: 89
edited June 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
There are only 69 Death Stars left on Amazon. Does this mean Lego.com is running out of stock? Will this set soon be discontinued?

Comments

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited June 2011
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Ugh, I've put this off forever and now Amazon is down to 62. And does it freak anyone else out to see $20k+ worth of goods in their cart? :o)
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited June 2011
    And does it freak anyone else out to see $20k+ worth of goods in their cart? :o)
    Yep!
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 943
    edited June 2011
    And does it freak anyone else out to see $20k+ worth of goods in their cart? :o)
    No......it'll be worth $40k within two years after being discontinued.
    Looks like only 56 remain. Interesting...only 10 left of the Emerald Night Train set.
    edited June 2011
    Looks like only 56 remain. Interesting...only 10 left of the Emerald Night Train set.
    My mistake.....the Emerald Night is Target only.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    55 left on amazon, come on retirement.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,252
    I hate to burst everyone's bubble here, but just because they are seeing supplies go down at Amazon does not mean Amazon is selling out of them yet, nor does it mean that they are going to sell out at Target, Toysrus, or any other retailer that has them on their site. I seem to recall Green Grocer being unavailable at Amazon for about a year (or two) before Lego ran out.....
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    ^ Haha.
  • SiESiE Member Posts: 237
    I spoke to a Lego customer service advisor the other week and they told me it was to be discontinued early 2012 which may mean just before xmas they also told me that the sets to be finished this summer were the xwing and battle of endor. Time will tell.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    Battle for Endor has already been pretty scarce as is, I thought it had already retired.
  • AlczervikAlczervik Member Posts: 93
    for US battle of endor has been retired, its not available on lego.com or any shopping site
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    Ah, so it's a World Wide retirement.
    There are still plenty in the uk of the endor sets. I was down at our toys r us today and they still had a load of the home one sets. They haven't sold well at all and were retired some time ago but go for nothing on eBay. Could be a future earner though. Also saw the new cars 2 sets today, my god are they over priced. On of the duplo sets had a hand full of bricks and 3 cars for fifty quid. I think it was the gp set, they make the Winnie sets look cheap in comparison.
    I spoke to a Lego customer service advisor the other week and they told me it was to be discontinued early 2012 which may mean just before xmas they also told me that the sets to be finished this summer were the xwing and battle of endor. Time will tell.
    That X-Wing set has been out for a LOOOOONG time so I can see it going... Although it makes me wonder if the X-Wing will come right back out or will it be gone for a while.
    Yeah, Endor kinda just.. went away, without much fanfare either....

I really hope I can get a Death Star but still not sure if I want to be paying 400 USD for one.. even though I know it will go up in price.. but then again with everyone else seemingly feeling the same way I wonder how expensive it will get....

I reckon it will at least double, it's arguably the best set Lego have ever done. I wouldn't be surprised to see it triple in value after 12 months of not being available.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,233
    I spoke with the manager of a UK LEGO brand store last month and he said they'd had no notification that Death Star was being retired and could still obtain stock.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    I hate to burst everyone's bubble here, but just because they are seeing supplies go down at Amazon does not mean Amazon is selling out of them yet, nor does it mean that they are going to sell out at Target, Toysrus, or any other retailer that has them on their site. I seem to recall Green Grocer being unavailable at Amazon for about a year (or two) before Lego ran out.....
    We can hope can't we? Retirement of sets by TLG is not usually a widely announced event. So I would have a hard time believing that any real date of retirement is a little questionable. The fact that Amazon had a recent sale, even though brief, and that their stock is dropping is a sign that it is probably on its way to retirement.

• doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    ^^ Got the same story at my local Lego store...Death Star will be available thru all 2011....did not know about 2012 and beyond.
  • EnbricEnbric Member Posts: 64
    @Rainstorm26, why are you hoping for retirement? I'm sure you realize it's no fun for collectors to go searching through the aftermarket for expensive sets like this.

If (and I don't mean to offend you if you if this is not your intention) you're looking to make a buck off of the set by stocking up now, I have no problem with that, but I wish you wouldn't root for it.

There are plenty of people (myself included) that aren't able to afford the $400 right now or in the next few weeks so it's nice to know that there might be a chance to buy it later in the year.
    edited June 2011
    ^Actually I don't care that much. I kind of like the Amazon count down. I only have two which I bought during the TRU BOGO 50% off one day only right around Easter. One to build and one to hold on to, so I am not going to be making a ton of money off of the retirement.

It sounds like it will still be available through [email protected] through 2011 so I don't think you need to worry about immediate retirement.

Its also possible Amazon could re-stock, in which case all of this is just a waste of bits and bytes.
    35 Death Stars left at amazon
  • stephenvwstephenvw Lexington, KYMember Posts: 89
    11 left!
  • EnbricEnbric Member Posts: 64
    Amazon sold out and transferred to Target fulfilling orders for the same price (but without free shipping, of course). Interesting.

Rainstorm, I'm glad that you weren't really rooting for it to discontinue, sometime's it's hard to tell from just text.
    32 left this afternoon/early evening to only 11 to none? Must be nice to be rich....
    Wow... So I managed to get the Lego Death Stars from TRU during their BOGO sale
    just spoke to lego customer services and they said its gonna be available for another year yet. I also asked if any sales were looming and she didnt seem to think so.
    edited June 2011
    FYI.. not that it matters as people are looking for Death Stars at TRU, BUT Amazon has another 98 of them in stock..
    Still cannot beat the price at TRU though...