Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] New wave of clearance at Wal-Mart?

Comments

• bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 817
    Picked up 8 Olivia's Tree House sets for @GIR3691 and LugOct's parts draft coming up later in the month. He is a member-I am not so it looks like whoever needs a set for this draft can pick one up from Rick. Keeping one for myself though.

Also picked up a Prisoner Transport for $13 and Friends Inventors Workshop for $7.

As for the time spent driving all over town to find deals I still do this but I've soured a bit on all of the time spent doing it. I drive a Prius so the gas isn't the problem-it is the time and driving in traffic that spoils it for me. It is worth it though when I find Hogwarts Castles marked down from $50 to $15 and SW Ewok Attack sets marked down from $25 to $5.98!
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    The toy department lady that knows me now said that there will be a further discount soon and for me to keep my receipts if I buy any. I might just bite on that Frigate if it hits 50% off then. I forgot to ask her about Walmart's price match policy... does it work on clearances? I bought the BP at $69, I still haven't opened mine yet and the ones they still have are still untouched. So if it's $50 soon or whatever will they just give me $19 if I just bring in my receipt within 30 days? Thanks if you can answer.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,292
    ^ I believe the policy is that you must return it and let it be processed as a go-back before you can repurchase it. This ensures that the product is re-shelved and everyone gets a "fair" chance to purchase the set. In practice, the employees may be more lenient about this and just let you return and rebuy. I'm rarely that lucky, though.
    ^Thank you. The last 2 BP boxes they have are really beat up. I don't think I wanna risk it then.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    Just buy the beat up ones too and return those if there is a price drop. If you manage to snag them, you can always use your other receipt to return them at the higher price point.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 674
    bmwlego said:

Ewok Attack sets marked down from $25 to $5.98!

Looks like I'm going back to Walmart tonight.

• staffmarkstaffmark Member Posts: 44
    How the heck do you guys find these kinds of deals? I just went back to the wlamart in my area where 5 days ago the whole aisle was discounted 30% ....and ALL of it was gone. In my area (suburban Chicago) Lego goes like hotcakes as soon as it hits 30%, every time. I am really jealous hearing about these deals you guys are finding- but good for you!
  • byhovabyhova IndianaMember Posts: 55
    Just wanted to say that I was able to get QAR for $69 same price as the black pearl not sure why but it was tagged and rang up that price instead of the $79 I seen people post on here...Now my delima is whether to pick up Helms Castle for $89 just because of the good price however have NO interest in LOTR sets just love buying Legos at good deals and being almost 1400 pieces it would probably be a fun build for my son and I? Thoughts on this?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,272
    They finally moved some of the SW stuff (inflitrator, pod racers, bounty hunter and one other) from the regular aisle to the clearance aisle yesterday at my closest WM. Couldn't find a manager type person to ask if they'd reduce it if I took it all but there are still 2 of the $99 space police sets marked clearance for full price in the aisle there so I'm not hopeful that the SW sets will get marked down more at some point.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,985
    byhova said:

Just wanted to say that I was able to get QAR for $69 same price as the black pearl not sure why but it was tagged and rang up that price instead of the $79 I seen people post on here...Now my delima is whether to pick up Helms Castle for $89 just because of the good price however have NO interest in LOTR sets just love buying Legos at good deals and being almost 1400 pieces it would probably be a fun build for my son and I? Thoughts on this?

I am passing on Helm's deep.

1) My daughter wants Mines of Moria, and has not mentioned Helm's Deep at all.
    2) While it is a good deal, I'm trying not to purchase just based on a good deal. I want it to be something my kids really want. As it was, I had enough struggle pulling the switch on the Space Center. My son is obsessed with aliens/space, and I thought this would be a good set, BUT he has never mentioned it.
    3) While it might be a fun build, I know there are other sets my kids would have more fun with. The Monster Fighter Castle is one.
    4) I actually have King's Castle, Prison, and MVR stashed. I just can't justify a castle that nobody has interest in.

graphite said:

They finally moved some of the SW stuff (inflitrator, pod racers, bounty hunter and one other) from the regular aisle to the clearance aisle yesterday at my closest WM. Couldn't find a manager type person to ask if they'd reduce it if I took it all but there are still 2 of the $99 space police sets marked clearance for full price in the aisle there so I'm not hopeful that the SW sets will get marked down more at some point.

They are totally moving everything in my store. I couldn't find those you mentioned anymore. I looked just about everywhere but nothing. A worker told me some are in the back and might be put out later. I'm still waiting for the SW Frigate and Podracers to be 50% off. If I've missed my opportunity at 30% that's ok as well. I already got the main ones I wanted anyway which was the Falcon and Pearl at 30% off. The site also says they are still in stock at my store so they are prolly just in the back waiting to be put out again (hoping at 50% off).
  • byhovabyhova IndianaMember Posts: 55
    As far as the Wal-mart's goes, I work in a store everyday (not for them but as a vendor) and I know many of the employee's pretty well, and what a few of them told me is they are doing a complete "Toy" reset for the fall/winter holiday season. All of the Lego sets that are not going to be in the new reset which is most of the ones mentioned here. The store that I work in which I would have to assume it's the same state wide because the the planograms come down across their network & most supercenters are set up about the same (plus I was in 4 stores this weekend across the state (Indiana) and they are all getting ready for this 3-5 day "toy aisle" reset. What Wal-mart is going to do is all toy clearance is going to be on the back wall by the rest of the toys rather than in the dedicated "Clearance" aisle of the store. She told me that all the ones that were clearanced out {all off the shelves and in the back room now} will be put back out on the "New" clearance section for the all the clearance toys once the reset in all the aisle's are complete. I hope this can provide a little help to what is going on.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 778
    The kids and I stopped by TRU to see about MF Series 8 (no luck) and then ran across the street to Walmart. Last Wed-Thur. when I was there, there were 5 Helms Deep, Super Heroes, SW Sebula Podracer, Bounty Hunter, Grieveous Starfighter....all gone at 30%. I asked an employee and she said employees were working at night to "reset the toy aisles" and were putting the clearance toys(LEGOS) in the garden section. This store had gone thru about half of their toy section but they were just moving it....not repricing anything. So still 30% for awhile. She said they were moving stuff because WM is getting X-Mas stuff the 1rst of the month. Since they usually put X-mas stuff in the garden section, hopefully the toys & garden stuff gets increased clearance sooner rather than later.
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    All clearance sets were put in the clearance aisle. I did not see and could not find a regular Lego aisle; I'm assuming they're stashed in the backroom with the shelf resets they're doing.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    My local store is in the middle of the re-set. They do have the Lego aisle re-done and have the new summer SW sets out. Clearence stuff was moved to the "official" clearence aisle but were still only 30% off. Was hoping to nab some Grevious Fighters but they were part of the reset!
    My Walmart was pretty much all 25-30% off as of yesterday. No Friends or LOTR on clearance.

$21 Geonosian Starfighter
    $35 Bounty Hunter Gunship
    $64 Podracers
    $49 Sith Infiltrator
    $69 Black Pearl
    $49 T-6 Shuttle
    $30 Alien Conquest Jet Copter

Also a few Creator, misc other. Anything hits 50% off and it's MIEN.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    It's a good thing I've traveled around this summer and found some good deals. I finally and reluctantly went back to my nearest stores, still nothing remarkable at one, and at the other begins this all-too-typical WalMart scenario. QAR on clearance for... ... ... $120. So I ask an employee to page the manager(s). And I wait. Ten minutes later I ask another employee, she comes back ten more minutes later to tell me that she paged them, they are on the way, please be patient. Okay. Time passes. Suddenly, well okay, gradually Tweedledee and Tweedledum roll like legless hippos toward me. I say hi I think you are looking for me (the name tags are those I was told to look for). They exchange negative grunts and "naw ain't nobody said nothin ain't heard nothin". Fine. I say this item is on clearance for retail price and that is silly, what's the best you can do? Uh, how bout 10%? I exit.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    I had something similar happen the other day. Found The Burrow at a WM for $49, but the box was beat all to heck and had a large hole/tear in the bottom part. Everything seemed intact, but I wasn't sure. Asked the department head what they could do and he said 10%. Went to the front of the store and found a "Co-Manager" and explained to him they were 50% off after Christmas. He knocked it down to $30. Got it home and everything was there, so I was pretty happy.
  • malachirobertsonmalachirobertson Indiana, USAMember Posts: 268
    I went to one Wal-Mart today and saw the revamped Lego aisle. What I thought odd was that Frigate and Pod Racers were tagged at least for full price. I find it odd because only a few miles away they were on clearance at another Wal-Mart!
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    edited August 2012
    ^ Every Wal-Mart is it's own world/thing...you'll find something great at one, and completely nothing at the other. One factor of this is their locations. While this is a personal theory...my guess is that the "computers" decide when certain items are to go on clearance, and how much stock there is, how much floor space/shelving there is, and how fast or slow certain product is moving off the shelves, how affluent the location or surrounding area is. If a product is moving off the shelf at a good rate, there isn't a reason to reduce the price. But if nothing or very little is moving, then the "computer" triggers a sell/clearance tag event. If you notice the clearance stickers you'll see a week number associated with the clearance tag. Sometimes those numbered weeks will be different, at another store.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    I've been to a bunch of WMs this week with the clearances in full force.

Each one is a mystery of where their clearance section is (garden center, back corner of store, open storage room behind the garden center, extra isle in the toy section, random isle that moves around the store). It's very comical.

Did find a Cool Cruiser for $5. My first, eye-popping checkout experience. Will save for a friend.
    ^ Yeah, finding the clearance sections is always fun. One of my WMs actually has 3 currently. A couple aisles off by themselves which is the general clearance but has some LEGO, then they have a toy clearance section along the main back aisle, and a half aisle of clearance within the toy section.
    If you're considering negotiating clearance prices at Walmart, you're gonna have a bad time.

Seriously, I take it or leave it at those stores. The employees are clueless, take forever to help you with anything beyond a price scan, and have always refused to discount damaged boxes at all for me.
    Frigate, Podracers etc back on clearance shelves at 30% off still after reset/toy section overhaul.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    On Saturday I checked a few Walmarts and they all had full price, stocked shelves for all Star Wars and LoTR. No POTC to be found though. I think the LotR clearance was a fluke. I agree that Monster Fighters is doing better than LotR. In one Target I overheard a girl with her dad discussing the theme and how she wanted the Vampyre Castle. So there is some cross over appeal.
    Yes, there is definitely cross over appeal. This was something I noted early in the year, when I saw this was the only new line my girls showed interest in. I have seen other girls look at it as well. It also is one of the few new themes that has a number of sets with female minifigs.
    Not counting the Haunted House, but there are eight sets.
    Of the eight sets, four of them have female minifigs.
    50% of them have at least one female, and there are 3 unique females.

This is a much higher ratio than most other themes out there. I find that to be a very big deal.

The question for me becomes, how much does adding those few female minfigs impact girls. I know for mine, it does have an impact. The theme has an impact as well. Not every set gives the perception of overt fighting, despite having the word 'fighter' in the line's name.

If one looks at LOTR, there isn't a single female minifig. Most sets in LOTR are very overt in 'fighting'. That creates far less crossover appeal, even for my daughter who just finished Two Towers. (Mines of Moria is the exception, and she already has plans on Legolas's hair for a female elf.)

Tammy
    tamamahm said:

she already has plans on Legolas's hair for a female elf.

Legolas wasn't a female elf? Damn. j/k
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^The character wasn't, but I think the actor is.
    ^ haha
    ^LOL!!
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    My closest store still has a handful of sets tucked away in about four different locations. The LEGO section significantly shrunk for now and the Friends display is totally gone from the toy area. Nothing better than 30% off though.

A great deal of shelf space is now being taken up by the new MB World of Warcraft sets...didn't even know those were coming out. They look just as unappealing as the Halo line.
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 356
    I have seen most stores have completed their holiday resets, and the surplus/clearance has been moved elsewhere. Only thing I have seen better than 30% lately is UFO Abduction for $10, but all the boxes were beat up. I'm still hoping to see better than 30%, but don't expect to until the Christmas stuff starts getting put out in the lawn and garden section. By then, who knows what will still be left?
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    Do you guys find consistency in discounting with specific WMs? Amongst the 10 stores I check at least once a month - I can't put a finger on any that are better than another.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Hit a major score this weekend. 6 Podracer sets for $30 each, 1 Batcave for $30, 1 Geonosian Starfighter for $10, and, get this, 1 Fury Interceptor for $40(!!!). Needless to say I cleaned them out.

Not sure what was going on with the fire sale at this walmart, but I'm not going to complain! Funny thing was, they still had the Frigate, the Sith Infiltrator, and the Bounty Hunter Gunship for a measly 30% off.
    Score - nice job Bandit.
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    Found several pallets of toys in the garden section of one store, in boxes marked "return for credit". Pulled out a bat cave from the pile and it scanned full price. Asked the employee stacking the toys on the pile if it could be marked down and he declined. He explained all the those toys are being removed from the system and they will not be selling the any more. All friends gone from the shelves and megablocks were in their place.

Another store a couple miles away had all the sets on the shelves at full price. Only some games were marked down 30%.
    Ah, 1 Frigate left at my WM, but the others really haven 't been touched. Guess I'll pass on the Frigate. Still hoping for the Podracers to hit 50% off. They got like 8 left.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Wal-Mart near me just did a whole toy section reboot. The lego isle is huge now! Only a couple Alien Invasion sets are on clearence, and those sets were actually $10 cheaper on clearence six months ago, so no deals.
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 356
    Has anyone noticed any changes in pricing or items marked down? I've noticed Avengers sets that WERE 30% off are now back up to full price.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    He's at it again, I even hid the Shopping USA category to stop myself... Anyway, anyone who sees discounted HP sets (castles mainly) I'm in the market, please get in touch if you can help ship them over the pond. Thanks
  • malachirobertsonmalachirobertson Indiana, USAMember Posts: 268
    I am wondering if anyone has noticed new items being discounted or any changes in items discounted previously. People at Toysnbricks are reporting some new items, but very YMMV. Last time I was at Walmart, there were some small discounts on the bigger SW sets.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^My Wal-Mart has a lot of the bigger sets marked down. Helm's Deep is $79, QAR is $79 and Vampyre Castle is $69. The Millennium Falcon is also marked down to $114.
  • AnthonyC173AnthonyC173 Member Posts: 101
    im reading all of this and am just flabbergasted by all these great deals. Might i suggest to say the area so people know where these clearance are taking place. I live around San Francisco and walmart is an hr drive for me so i don't wanna waste gas checking just to find nothing. If anyone would be kind would someone tell me if there are any clearance around cali?
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    I was last at WM Friday night and they still had some of the small PotC and other random sets on clearance. Prices were still in that 20% off range so I'm not touching them yet.

They did have the Vampire Castle on an end cap with other clearance, although it rang up at full price. I might have to make another trip today just in case I missed a mark down that was coming.
    Nothing new here. Most of the sets have dwindled off at 30% which I didn't bite on. The SW Podracers are the only ones left at $64. I'm waiting for that $40 range.
  • aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    Found the Heavy Lift Helicopter #4439 for $25 (50% off) and the Satellite Launch Pad #3366 for $5 (75% off) this morning. This WM also has a bunch of sets on clearance for RRP red tags and all.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    staffmark said:

How the heck do you guys find these kinds of deals? I just went back to the wlamart in my area where 5 days ago the whole aisle was discounted 30% ....and ALL of it was gone. In my area (suburban Chicago) Lego goes like hotcakes as soon as it hits 30%, every time. I am really jealous hearing about these deals you guys are finding- but good for you!

Thats what i was wondering. Walmarts around here are so slow to put items on any sort of decent price lately.
  • aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207

staffmark said:

Thats what i was wondering. Walmarts around here are so slow to put items on any sort of decent price lately.
    For me it's a time consuming search. I have 5 WMs along my drive to work. I've been stopping at each one once a week on my drive in since they started clearancing. You just have to keep going back and looking.
  • ChoochChooch Member Posts: 148
    Nothing new in my area....
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    I went to the Walmart on Story Road in San Jose, CA and found a bunch of the larger sets in the clearance aisle. Vampire Castle was $99, Mines of Moria $79, Batcave $69, and a bunch of others. They were all red tagged clearance for one dollar off.