Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Toys R Us BOGO 40% Off Exclusives (Ex Star Wars)

itsnotmeitsnotme Member Posts: 112
edited September 2012 in Shopping USA/Canada
This is falling under the "Buy 1 Get 1 40% OFF ALL FAO Schwarz toys" which seems odd. I'm going to take advantage now in case things change as they are known to do several hours after these sales start.

Comments

• ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    I think this is a glich. I typed in "FAO Schwarz" in the TRS search and got 321 items but no Lego. I then search through the various Lego catagories and found several BOGO 40% items under the "Creator" catagory to include (drum roll...) the 4 modulers (GE, FB, PS, anf TH) Space Shuttle, MMV, VW camper, Tower Bridge, winter village and the new Sopwith Camel.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Thanks for posting, but... meh. I read a rumor that the first week of Bricktober at TRU will be Buy 1 Get 1 40% off as well. Disappointing if we won't see Buy 1 Get 1 50% offs this season.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 800
    I hate TRU and their markups. Last week's B2G1F deal amounted to 10% off and a savings of $3. Woopty-freakin-do!

Bricktober will likely get me going there for LEGO but grudgingly so. I've got all of the Bricktober giveaways and many multiples so obviously the scheme works on me in October each year. As my LEGO obsession has grown over the years my shopping for LEGO at TRU has decreased.
    ^ The rumor for Bricktober is that they'll have those vintage minifig packs (instead of the vintage minifig glued magnets). These have supposedly been spotted:

• itsnotmeitsnotme Member Posts: 112
    ^TRU can be frustrating for sure. But at the moment these sets are at RRP, so a true 20% discount, which isn't terrible.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,590
    I bought 18 S9 CMF for about $38 so these TRU sales can work out if you're diligent. Additionally, all sets were MSRP online for much of the first day last week. Lastly, even though the savings atop their markups were drastically curtailed, you still saved a good chunk of money with some trios. For example, buying the mine, MD castle and Hoth would save you $70, or almost 25% off each.

Heck, I almost bought the Duplo Zoo at $20 over MSRP yesterday but I struggled to pair it up. The idea is to bury the worst marked up set as your 3rd. You'll lose equity but maximize bang for your buck.
    ^ True, 20% is not bad. But we had a lot of 25% offs last year. Hopefully a Mastercard Monday or other stackable promo will come up.
  • MilesMiles Member Posts: 51
    I'm a bit new to all this, and though I loathe shopping at Toys R Us, those minifig packs are awfully cool looking. What exactly does one have to do to obtain one?
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Does anyone else notice the 1999 Ninjas that look like Kai and Zane?
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    Supposedly, they're free with $60 purchase.
    Miles said:

I'm a bit new to all this, and though I loathe shopping at Toys R Us, those minifig packs are awfully cool looking. What exactly does one have to do to obtain one?

• RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Really nice deal. Essentially 20% and some hard to find items are at regular prices (for now at least).
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    bea said:

I assume you get 1 out of 4 sets for every $60. Is there anyway to choose which set ? I am a sucker for those 1980s astronauts from the Space series
    Darn, Winter Bakery, Winter Post Office, and MMV are out of stock at TRU
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    For me it's more like 15% off with sales tax. Still not a bad deal for larger sets if you've not gotten them though. Shuttle is ~20% off with the current markdown

bea said:

I assume you get 1 out of 4 sets for every $60. Is there anyway to choose which set ? I am a sucker for those 1980s astronauts from the Space series
    I believe it will be a different one each week of October.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,435
    I grabbed 2 more Fire Brigades. I don't think the Lego sale on these will be better than 20%.
  • patsfan12patsfan12 Member Posts: 11
    My wife picked up Grand Emporium and Pet Shop for me but I'll have to wait until my birthday and Christmas before I get them. That's ok though as I still need to build Fire Brigade.
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    Was going to pick up the town hall but forgot the BOGO50% was a better deal earlier this year.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,001
    Im waiting on anything that will most likely not sell out this winter.. what is annoying is TRU's showing the MMV being a limit of 2 then knocking it down to 1 in the cart saying they are limiting quantities.
    Then again I'm just hoping the brain stems in the warehouses actually send me what I ordered and not just pick a set at random to send me instead of what I ordered (like with my Jabba Palaces)
    ^ I have not seen MMV in stock since this afternoon. When did you see it in stock again ?
    It was in stock this morning, but only a limit of 1
  • AmberylAmberyl Member Posts: 193
    Pity the Sopwith Camel is marked up $20 over MSRP, or it would be a great pair with the MMV. Sadly, buying the two together is only a net 10% discount thanks to the markup.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    MMV instock right now....and you can purchase 2 with each order.
    ^-- That was quick, tried to add two to the cart, but they apparently ran out again
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,919
    edited September 2012
    Me too. I got to the submit order part and then, POOF!, gone. I bought some Shuttle Expeditions instead.

If you can afford it, Tower Bridge is a nice discount for buying 2 of them.
  • itsnotmeitsnotme Member Posts: 112
    ^ I've stared at Tower Bridge on TRU several times since yesterday morning and just haven't been able to pull the trigger. Nice looking, but something about it gives me pause (seems like a bit of a tedious build for one). Overall though it checks most of the boxes for a set that will do well in the aftermarket. Maybe I'll just wait until black Friday and take it as a sign if it's 25% off or better then.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ it is a bit tedious, but it's a gorgeous model when done.
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    Is it possible to get the classic figure sets in person? I have had trouble getting giveaways from TRU in the past, a call to customer service led to a "While supplies last" explanation. I don't want a bait and switch experience.
    ^^^---Bought a couple... tempted to get a couple more OR wait and roll the dice and see if Bricktober has them at BOGO50 or BF has them on sale.
    Normally it would not be a huge deal but with the price as it is 10% is a chunk of cash, I just wanted to at least get a couple before they are gone.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,919
    Same question for me @curvedroadplate. I'd like to get these, I imagine we have to jump on it right away.

Are these vintage fig sets regular figs, or glued together?
    I believe these sets were released a few years ago as Lego exclusives.
    2009 I believe
    @hleonffu Yeah, these look like the same ones. They are not glued. The Classic Space men have the new updated helmets though.

BTW, I knew you looked familiar. You bought something from me on Bricklink
  • AmberylAmberyl Member Posts: 193
    In today's "TRU Makes Me Crazy" episode: They cancelled my online order for the Grand Emporium + Pet Shop. Calling them, they have no idea why -- they say, well, maybe it's a problem with my Paypal, or it's a problem with my shipping address. PayPal says nope, not them; the shipping address is the same as on the other order made a week ago that they shipped today, so it shouldn't be that either.

Fed up, I agreed to have them resubmit the order on the phone (fortunately at a discount still), and paid for it with my credit card. Apparently their e-commerce operation is full of clowns, I guess.
  • crnkcrnk Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2012
    Any thoughts on the space shuttle 10231 on this deal? RRP is 100, TRU has it for 95+20% off (for 2 of them with this offer). That makes it 76 free ship pretax. [Amazon current price is 90]
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^ Personally, I think it's a good deal on the shuttle. I thought about getting a couple. Or, a shuttle and a MMV, but decided to wait. I have several of both.
  • red237red237 Member Posts: 300
    MMVs are back, FYI and still on promo
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 246
    I'm very tempted to pop my modular cherry on FB and GE; I figure a net 20% discount on both is probably the best that I can hope for - but I'm not sure that I want to put my faith in TRU shipping; I got a Thomas table yesterday where the box was battered and broken and if that happened to a modular I'd be furious.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 800
    @sidersdd...
    Your info regarding Vintage Minifig collections as TRU Bricktober giveaways is true. Received word from LEGO that this is in fact going to take place.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/6823/bricktober-2012#latest
    Has anyone noticed if TRU ever restock Winter Bakery for this deal ? I have been checking the website on and off since Sunday and it is always out of stock
    edited September 2012
    richl said:

I'm very tempted to pop my modular cherry on FB and GE; I figure a net 20% discount on both is probably the best that I can hope for - but I'm not sure that I want to put my faith in TRU shipping; I got a Thomas table yesterday where the box was battered and broken and if that happened to a modular I'd be furious.

Well LEGO comes 'pre-broken' so I would not worry about that.. :-)
    I do understand your concern though.. the last few times is kind of hit and miss, the boxes are beat up but usually have enough free space to just 'push' the box around within the shipping box. With the latest issue being me purchasing 3 Jabba's Palaces and getting 1 Jabba's palace with 2 Hogwarts Castles.
    So between the shipper causing issue you now have to worry about getting what you ordered.
    By the way this BOGO40 offer is now gone from TRU's Hard to Find Lego page. It was probably a mistake to begin with.
    Just when my Winter Bakery is back in stock :( Their lost...
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    glad i got my two town halls and two extra shuttles when i did then.
    Just got my orders in and am shocked that I received the correct items and all 8 sets were in perfect condition. Yay :) (sad I know when we have to *hope* that the packer and shipper are not incompetent these days).
    The packer and the shipper. Who's on top?
    I still have to trade my damaged Jabbas Palace for a non damaged one. Maybe just wait until October.
    edited September 2012
    ^---Well they are back in stock online. I called today and got the two I needed to swap out with the Hogwarts castles they apparently thought I ordered.
    I think anyone that is mad they missed this auction need only have to wait until bricktober, which I'm guessing will have a BOGO50 at some point.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Pitfall69 said:

The packer and the shipper. Who's on top?

I don't know... third base...
    No worries...I don't quite get it myself :)