Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Next Winter Village set: 10229 Cottage

124»

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,771
    ^ Yes, they are in store now. :o)
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 868
    Any US reports?
  • hippoeaterhippoeater Member Posts: 30
    I was just at my lego store in beachwood mall ohio yesterday and asked about the cottage and the b-wing. They said they will have them october 1st and no sooner :/
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,431
    Just called the Sunrise, FL store and they do, in fact, have the Winter Village Cottage available for sale for VIP members. So, the U.S. is a go. Going to pick mine up now.
  • GrogallGrogall Munich, GermanyMember Posts: 159
    Just got home after picking up mine! not the best pick but nice to see them all together!

• khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,245
    ^ That... is... wow...
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    It was on the UK [email protected] earlier but has since stop working for me:

http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Winter-Village-Cottage-10229

• toftof Member Posts: 147
    ^ same for me
    I can see it exists and I can even add it to the cart, but I can't see the dedicated page...
    Thanks all -- called the DC area stores and seems to be available here as well. Excellente!
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Is the Holiday Train considered part of this series or was the Winter Toy Shop the first?
    Just got home with mine (Sunrise, FL, USA) and another free zombie car.
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 296
    @hoyatables thanks
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547

Just got home with mine (Sunrise, FL, USA) and another free zombie car.

So I'm assuming the Zombie car is there so you can drive up to the Cottage on the weekend for some R&R after you get tired of eating brains...
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145

Is the Holiday Train considered part of this series or was the Winter Toy Shop the first?

I hope not :) I missed out on that one and it's kind of expensive to get now. The way I see it is that there is a Winter Village theme and then there is an overall Winter theme which would include the train and all those polybag sets. At least that is what I tell myself to make me feel better :)
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    I secretly hope for another holiday train to come out so I don't have to buy the last one at 3x MSRP. Maybe 2013.
  • GrogallGrogall Munich, GermanyMember Posts: 159
    edited September 2012

Well, Not really a part of the Winter Village series, But I'm sure that everyone who collects the series would love to get another chance to pick one up at a normal price to compliment there Village..........

I'm fine with the Emerald Night substituting as the Christmas train, there is only so much room for track under the tree. I wouldn't mind a winter train station...
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ok, helped put a bit of this together in the store today. I will say the size of the main building is much bigger than the pictures make it look like. Between that, the outbuildings, the truck, and all the minifigures, I don't think this is a bad price point at all really.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^ the bigger question for me is why TLG felt the need to take it up from about £50 a set series to double the cost of the toy shop. Might well be good value, but only if you want a big set.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,806
    Id rather wait and pick up cottages when they go out of season and LEGO has to discount them (at least that is what is occurring with other holiday sets)
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,528
    I think I will probably buy one now and then hope for a couple in the after Xmas sale. :)
    ^ well, as I said about the Modulars, given that these lines are a one set per year release, I would much rather the price go up a little bit every few years if it means I get something that is substantial and seemingly complete instead of something that looks half-finished or inconsequential. at that point, I would likely just stop collecting them.

A $50 set these days is like #3189, #3818, #6868, #7346, #9466. None of those feel substantial enough for an annual themed release.
    edited September 2012

Id rather wait and pick up cottages when they go out of season and LEGO has to discount them (at least that is what is occurring with other holiday sets)

they haven't done that in the past, with the exception of the TS last year. They just hold leftover inventory forward to the next year. Following the expected pattern, we should see the Bakery discounted after Christmas this year (if there are any left), and the post office and cottage simply disappear at regular price, ready to return next year.

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^Didn't the Toy Shop get discounted and sell out before Christmas last year? I could be wrong - that's just how I remember it somehow.
  • brclark82brclark82 Member Posts: 195
    The post office was discounted at almost every Lego store I went to last year well into February. 20% off with stacks available for sale.
    TS was definitely discounted for BF and after Christmas. You may be right @y2josh that it was also discounted all in between. i don't remember exactly.

@brclark82 I don't recall that, but my store ran out long before then. I assume that was limited to stock on hand of course, and it didn't apply online. sale is to try and run out the local inventory so they don't have to carry it for 10 months. good idea to get one then as suggested, but might be a gamble as well. If nothing else, it will be available at TRU all year long anyway.
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    Just received email from LEGO informing me that Winter Village Cottage is now available exclusively to VIP members until September 30 but alas will not get double VIP points until October 1st.
    FWIW the store employee at Tyson's Corner told me he had "heard" there was a new Holiday Train coming out this year. I doubt this - I'm sure we would have heard about it already, but just passing on what I've heard.

The Cottage is a big box - feels pretty full as well. I'm excited!
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337

FWIW the store employee at Tyson's Corner told me he had "heard" there was a new Holiday Train coming out this year. I doubt this - I'm sure we would have heard about it already, but just passing on what I've heard.

It is this one (just a polybag):

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=4211

No new Holiday Train set this year :(
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    It's available in the US, my cousin already has it, available to VIP members only from [email protected] Not sure about the stores.
    ^ yeah, stores had it available since Monday as well. I passed for now. no reason not to get double points
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,964
    dougts said:

^ yeah, stores had it available since Monday as well. I passed for now. no reason not to get double points

The reason not to get double points would be if one still had the 10% coupon. ;-) That way one gets the 10% back immediately, instead of waiting.

I used my coupon for this set Monday, instead of waiting for Black Friday. I'm still debating on the expenditure for the Haunted House, so I can at least use the double point discount for that if I decide to purchase it.

I used my 10% coupon. :-)
  • allmybricksallmybricks Member Posts: 156
    me too. 10% coupon and regular vip points was the way to go. unfortunately the store I went to was out of zombie cars - that would have made it even better.
    sadly, i once again did not get my catalog. for the past 2 years, LEGO seems to send me a catalog every other time, rather than every time. either that, or someone is stealing them out of my locked mailbox
    Bummer about the missed catalog. Yes, I would have also waited for VIP in that case.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    Any first impressions on the set from those who have gotten it early?
    The box is nice. ;-)

Our set is not opened until Black Friday. We put together the Lego set and put up the tree on the same day.
    Wife wants to build it with me (happens once a year) so it is still in the box. From what I saw at brickfair, it is really nice.
  • JdawgJdawg St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada Member Posts: 83
    Just finished building the Winter Village Cottage. It surprised me on how long it took to build and its size is quite large.

I am very impressed with it overall. The blue and brown look good together. It is definitely my fav. of the 4.

Love the tile floor and the kitchen is quite detailed for its size.

It is almost worth buying a couple more and swapping the blue out for other colors, and maybe mirror it.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,245
    ^ Argh, if only it weren't £90, it does look cool... but I'm skipping it, I haven't got the other Winter sets yet so I'll pick one of those up instead.
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 880
    I bought mine last Thursday (27 September) from the Milton Keynes Lego store, as I had a £5 voucher to use up before it expired and wanted a Zombie Car polybag also.

I bought the set but completely forgot about the Zombie car until I got home - Doh!!

I wasn't holding out much hope of getting one, but I sent off an email to Customer Services and 2 days later found a nice little package waiting for me when I got home containing a Zombie Car, shipped all the way from Netherlands. Now thats what I call Customer Service - thanks Lego.

Incidentally I notice from the manual there is an advert for the modulars, showing 4 of them, but no Fire Station, so this must definitely be on the way out? Perhaps discontinued afer Christmas.

Not built the set yet but I am looking forward to building the entire village when I take delivery of the Toy Shop at Steam this weekend.

@calv - if the four doesn't include the Fire Brigade, what would be the fourth?

Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, Town Hall and ???

Enquiring minds want to know. :-)
  • JdawgJdawg St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada Member Posts: 83
    I just checked the picture. It is just the three. PS, TH and GE. Looks like 4 because of the two halves of PS.
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 880
    Thats what comes of writing a post and relying on memory!! But yes I did remember 4 buildings and no Fire Brigade, but of course only 3 sets. Sorry for any confusion.
    You know, what the Winter Village series really needs is a train station (for the Holiday Train, of course!). I may have to look at modding the yellow one to add some "snow."
  • CortezCortez Member Posts: 19
    @hoyatables

Winter Village train station? Vote for this!

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/16279#DescriptionTab

The cottage is the first WV I haven't bought. I just don't think it matches the earlier sets - in particular the roof. I've resolved to design my own cottage during the year ready for next Xmas!